Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Pokémon X & Y's Effect on the Metagame

Quote Originally Posted by jireh the provider View Post
    When I checked Serebii's site about this, it really strikes me like "ARE YOU SERIOUS!?"

You see, currently, Water resists Ice. But with that move from Aurorus being super effective, I really don't know how to explain the fact that water types could end up being troubled by Ice type attacks. I mean, I have theoretical questions that popped into mind after reading that quote.

a. Would water types be weak to all Ice type attacks this time? Or is it only Freeze Dry the only Ice move super effective against water type pokemon?
    b. If Ice attacks do become super effective against water in the 6th generation, what are the following water type pokemon that would be greatly crippled?
    c. So what would happen to Scald if it's used against Ice type pokemon? Would it end up being super effective against Ice types?

In my opinion:
    Personally, IF Ice type attacks do become super effective against water types, I think Hail teams just might get the shine they need. Pokemon Like Glaceon, Lapras, and Walrein, banding with Abomasnow (Not the Obamasnow), Hail teams may finally get a comeback to 6th gen's OU tier. BUT. IF only Freeze dry is super effective against water type Pokemon, the improvements would make that type the most inferior for my eyes. Pokemon Like Quagsire, Swampert, Gastrodon, and Ludicolo (all 4 are neutral to Ice currently) will get the biggest blows when Ice type attacks become super effective to water.
    It's specific to Freeze Dry. If they were going to edit the effectiveness of Ice against Water, that change would've been reflected in the newly released type chart (which showed us Steel's new nerfs, so why not this if it were the case).

Also, on another note, an interview with Gamefreak led to a little more information being leaked. The competitively affecting news is as follows:

"Ghost-type Pokémon can freely escape from battle without being influenced by Shadow Tag."

"Some moves, with focus on special ones, have had their power and accuracy revamped."

And also possibly this : "The standard selection process for Pokémon Mega Evolution is based on three points: visual looks, popularity and game balance."

So to start off with the first one, we already knew that Ghost types could escape trapping moves like Mean Look and Spider Web (yes, that exists). However, this bit of news puts it into an entirely new light, as it can also escape the trapping ability Shadow Tag (I hear a Gengar gleefully cackling in the distance). What this means is that Ghosts will be pretty much impossible to trap, and those Levitate Ghosts are immune to every trapping method (as Arena Trap was not mentioned with Shadow Tag I believe). This will just make Ghosts even more overpowered than they are already making out to be, with Gengar being at the forefront of Gamefreak's oh-crap-what-have-we-done Pokemon this gen.

The next piece of information is actually quite interesting, as it means several moves (please include Focus Blast) are getting their power and accuracy adjusted, kind of like Tackle did this gen. This could open up a whole new realm of what moves are useful, but unfortunately there weren't any specifics so it's essentially speculation for now.

Finally, the piece of news that will somewhat affect competitive play I think is that it looks like there is only a selection of Pokemon that receive Mega Evolutions, unfortunately meaning we won't be seeing one for every fully evolved Pokemon. Adding this on to the complete embargo on Mega Evolutions for any 6th gen Pokemon, this means that it's likely we won't receive too many. It's also nice to see that Gamefreak is considering game balance when they make the Mega Evolutions, hopefully meaning that they'll make some more tank-like ones to compensate for these massive powerhouses they've been pumping out so far (well, excluding Venusaur).
    Back : D
    I help write the Pokemon of the Week!
    Trapped since February 9, 2013
    Woooo competitive. Also doing ASB, with my squad being here.
    Also have a Youtube channel where I do Nintendo News. Woo.

Special moves getting an accuracy boost is definitely going to have an impact, especially since most of the high power special moves have low accuracy.

By 'game balance' I think they mean giving mega evos to weaker pokemon, but if it would be pretty cool if there are more defensive pokemon too.

Credit to Ayra for the profile pic.
    ASB squad- http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthr...0#post16972170
    I have claimed Kabutops, destroyer of all! Fear me or perish!

Quote Originally Posted by T-Bolt View Post
    Special moves getting an accuracy boost is definitely going to have an impact, especially since most of the high power special moves have low accuracy.

By 'game balance' I think they mean giving mega evos to weaker pokemon, but if it would be pretty cool if there are more defensive pokemon too.
    On your second sentence, I agree with you though. But just what kind of defensive pokemon in your opinion are you asking anyway? Bulky offensive mega evolutions (I'm looking at you now Mega Amphy. So much Zeus hair)? Or just Tanky support pokemon?

I just watched the latest pokemon smash an hour ago. What left me surprised is Mega Ampharos' performance in battle. You see, we know she becomes Electric / Dragon, no stat boost mentioned back then. Gogoat in the trailer hits quite hard against Slowbro with Horn Leech. But when she mega evolves, she tanks Gogoat's Horn leech as if its nothing at all. I know that it resists grass. But not at least losing 10% HP? Only 17 out of 178 HP leaves me a guess that Ampharos' mega evo gained a boost in base Defense, Special attack (thanks to Dragon Pulse defeating on what looks like a really special bulky Gogoat since Slowbro's Ice Beam only did on what I see as 30% HP lost), and special defense.

Talk about scary. And yes, poor smogon will be bombarded testing these guys out. But I will agree on this upcoming metagame.

"Pokemon Metagame Battles will never be the same in so many ways."
    Final Chapter: 38: Mountain's Edge(Click the Banner above)

Starter evolution spoilers:

Spoiler:
    My DWF: Houndour, Lickitung, Torkoal, Vulpix, Jynx, Tangela, Kanghaskan, Riolu, Mr. Mime, Eevee, Ralts, Abra, Sabeleye, Swablu, Nuzleaf, Crawdaunt

White FC: 4728-5167-7076

3DS FC (X): 1461-7514-0002

Friend Safari: Electric (Stunfisk, Emolga, Galvantula)

Add me and PM me and I will add you back for Friend Safari.

Quote Originally Posted by HostileKangaroo View Post
    Starter evolution spoilers:

Spoiler:
        Spoiler:- "":
    Sig edited due to exceeding height limit. Read the signature rules before editing your signature.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosts of the Forums View Post
        Spoiler:- "":
        Spoiler:
    My DWF: Houndour, Lickitung, Torkoal, Vulpix, Jynx, Tangela, Kanghaskan, Riolu, Mr. Mime, Eevee, Ralts, Abra, Sabeleye, Swablu, Nuzleaf, Crawdaunt

White FC: 4728-5167-7076

3DS FC (X): 1461-7514-0002

Friend Safari: Electric (Stunfisk, Emolga, Galvantula)

Add me and PM me and I will add you back for Friend Safari.

If the weather nerf is true (that it only lasts 5 turns). Then this metagame will be very interesting. I still think weather teams will be dominate, but maybe not AS popular as 5th gen. It also looks like we got more defensive options this gen which I'm happy about. Last gen was so heavy on offense that stall teams were very hard to pull off. Aegislash is going to be a great spinblocker, and overall threat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJIydIvSSQU

Seems pretty legit to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Puma Italia View Post
    If the weather nerf is true (that it only lasts 5 turns). Then this metagame will be very interesting. I still think weather teams will be dominate, but maybe not AS popular as 5th gen. It also looks like we got more defensive options this gen which I'm happy about. Last gen was so heavy on offense that stall teams were very hard to pull off. Aegislash is going to be a great spinblocker, and overall threat.
    Oh god, weather in 5th gen was EVERYWHERE.

Spoiler:- ..:

Maybe XY will be a more balanced metagame like DPPt or ADV. Who knows.

http://i.imgur.com/yN8ow26l.jpg

Not too much of a nerf but that 70 Base Power will be missed.

Quote Originally Posted by YourPermanentRecord631 View Post
    http://i.imgur.com/yN8ow26l.jpg

Not too much of a nerf but that 70 Base Power will be missed.
    Well, it seems that it will be a set 60 BP and the type is the only thing determined by IVs. A boon for Technician mons anyway. Might increase the viability of stall some more.

I have the games.

Confirming Team Preview returns and you can't turn it off (experimented in a local battle) so no changes here.

Friend battles are probably the same as are random battles, but I can't test those just yet.

Also no sign of auto leveling to 100 in local battles.

Edit - Auto leveling to 100 nowhere to be seen.

Wi-Fi play in terms of ruleset is a carbon copy of local play.
    Last edited by Ragnarok; 10th October 2013 at 2:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by From the main site
    Friend Safari is located in the post-game. In it, it takes everyone on your friend list and makes them a specific type. When selected, Pokémon of that type appear (it'll take a while to catalogue, please bear with us). The Pokémon found here can have their Hidden Abilities. Unlike the Safari Zone, however, you can battle and use your own balls.
    This could mean a number of things. Pokemon with previously unreleased DW abilities might finally get theirs, so we could get Shadow Tag Chandelure and Contrary Serperior after all. This might also mean that some illegalities might be fixed (i.e. Blaziken might not need its Mega form to use Speed Boost + Baton Pass after all). It'll just depend on how the mechanics of this thing turn out to work.

Well that just killed off weather, as it essentially now works like Rain Dance or Sunny Day, and look at how popular they were back in DP. It was only really used on self-serving sweepers like Kingdra.
    Unless you're doing something like Rain Hyper offence the battle doesn't move fast enough to take advantage of 5 short turns of weather.
    Quote Originally Posted by Huspoel View Post
    You're saying some really smart stuff there.

Quote Originally Posted by Aurath8 View Post
    Well that just killed off weather, as it essentially now works like Rain Dance or Sunny Day, and look at how popular they were back in DP. It was only really used on self-serving sweepers like Kingdra.
    Unless you're doing something like Rain Hyper offence the battle doesn't move fast enough to take advantage of 5 short turns of weather.
    the difference is that everytime the weather inducer switches in, it sets up weather,even if it is for five turns. But yeah, I see what you mean. Weather may not be go completely out of the picture though, If Smogon unbans Drizzle+Swift swim, you might see a few rain teams in gen 6.

EDIT: With Mega Tyranitar being confirmed, sand usage probably won't drop significantly either.
    Last edited by T-Bolt; 11th October 2013 at 7:09 AM.

Do we know if the various weather rocks boost the duration of auto-weather now? If they do, things could be interesting.

Well, thanks a lot Game Freak. Now jirachi's garbage ):

Quote Originally Posted by jirachi2 View Post
    Well, thanks a lot Game Freak. Now jirachi's garbage ):
    Hey, it still gets SE damage on Fairies. Just because it gains weaknesses to Ghost and Dark doesn't make it useless, it just makes it more managable.

Quote Originally Posted by The Imposter View Post
    Hey, it still gets SE damage on Fairies. Just because it gains weaknesses to Ghost and Dark doesn't make it useless, it just makes it more managable.
    Jirachi was never that hard to deal with outside of Rain for me. Iron Head is so weak in general that with a resistance and Leftovers you can probably just PP stall.

Do we know if the various weather rocks boost the duration of auto-weather now? If they do, things could be interesting.
    Very interesting indeed. If this happens then weather may survive, but 8 turns is still only about a third of a battle.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnarok View Post
    I have the games.

Confirming Team Preview returns and you can't turn it off (experimented in a local battle) so no changes here.

Friend battles are probably the same as are random battles, but I can't test those just yet.

Also no sign of auto leveling to 100 in local battles.

Edit - Auto leveling to 100 nowhere to be seen.

Wi-Fi play in terms of ruleset is a carbon copy of local play.
    So there is no auto leveling for battles at all? That really stinks... it's like they don't want people to play this game competitively on Wi-Fi anymore.

There are some pretty interesting moves in the new moves section. Xerneas' sig move, Geomancy, is a two turn move that sharply increases SpAtk, SpDef and Speed. can't really say if it will be useful since it takes two turns, but it may work if you use a memento lead.

And then there's this move- 'Water Shuriken', a priority, multi-hit move if I'm reading this right.

Finally Boomburst is a 140 bp, 100 accuracy move with no side-effects. Noivern gets it, and maybe Exploud will (since it's sound based) If Exploud does get it, it may move up to RU I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by T-Bolt View Post
    There are some pretty interesting moves in the new moves section. Xerneas' sig move, Geomancy, is a two turn move that sharply increases SpAtk, SpDef and Speed. can't really say if it will be useful since it takes two turns, but it may work if you use a memento lead.

And then there's this move- 'Water Shuriken', a priority, multi-hit move if I'm reading this right.

Finally Boomburst is a 140 bp, 100 accuracy move with no side-effects. Noivern gets it, and maybe Exploud will (since it's sound based) If Exploud does get it, it may move up to RU I guess.
    Water Shuriken only has 15 BP though. It'll likely be exclusive to the Froakie line as well. It is (potentially) pretty powerful as far as priority moves go, but since Greninja is so fast that won't see much use anyway.

I hope Greninja gets more moves. His stats are much better than Gen V's Samurott but his movepool is starting to look like Samurott in terms of coverage. Besides Ice Beam, Water STAB, mixed Dark STAB, and U-Turn, there isn't anything else so far.

I also find it cruelly ironic that Chesnaught has no Fighting moves so far outside of Hidden Power Fighting.

Delphox is also equally disinteresting.

It's Gen V syndrome all over again.
    Join the Tutor Program. Started by JRCxyz & Salavoir

[In Clan Memoriam]
    RIP Battling Academy, even though I just joined.
    Memories are eternal.

RIP Toothpaste Clan. You kept my teeth clean.
    Dental hygiene is eternal.

RIP Survival Island. Global warming drowned us all.
    Survival isn't eternal

[QUOTE=Eaglehawk;16515758]I hope Greninja gets more moves. His stats are much better than Gen V's Samurott but his movepool is starting to look like Samurott in terms of coverage. Besides Ice Beam, Water STAB, mixed Dark STAB, and U-Turn, there isn't anything else so far.

I also find it cruelly ironic that Chesnaught has no Fighting moves so far outside of Hidden Power Fighting.

Delphox is also equally disinteresting.

It's Gen V syndrome all over again.

It's been discovered that it can learn 2 fighting type moves (close combat and some other move) according to pokemon database
    By the way you can check out the final forms of the starters calculated stats on pokemon database
    My most beloved pokemon in no particular order, except for Infernape :3
    Black and White Friend Code: 0176 0110 0303

So there is no auto leveling for battles at all? That really stinks... it's like they don't want people to play this game competitively on Wi-Fi anymore.
    Friend battles auto-level to 50, but you can't change it to 100. Also there's the option for Flat Battle, which iirc is level 30 or something.

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910111213 LastLast