Thread: Black 2 In-game team move set help

Default Black 2 In-game team move set help

Hey guys, so this is my final playthrough of Black 2 and since I wanted to try something new I chose to go with a Steel/ Sandstorm themed team. So I'm going to be posting my (final) team below, I'm currently in Driftveil lvl grinding outside the electric cave - whatever you call it.

I will not be using this team for competitive battling so EV training will not be happening - actually i don't even know HOW to EV train to be honest. I've always loved Tyranitar and Metagross and throughout my pokemon playing experience i've only ever used each of them once (as compared to the 2-3 Dragonites, Garchomps & Salamences that I have lying around)

Team: (All members are holding lucky eggs gained through repeated playthroughs of Black 2/ trades)

Template: [Pokemon]
    [Nature] - [Ability]

Tyranitar
    Impish - Sand Stream

Earthquake
    Stone Edge
    Crunch
    [Elemental Fang/Elemental Punch]
    Notes: The problem with Tyranitar is that it has too many good potential moves that it can learn to cover it's weaknesses so some suggestions that would help it meld better with my team would be great!

Skarmory
    Impish - Keen Eye

Roost
    Spikes
    Brave Bird
    Fly

Notes: The problem with Skarmory is that I don't really need roost as I can just use potions instead. I got this moveset from Smogon as it is my first time using a Skarmory so I need help to choose between Roost and something like Steel Wing/ another move. Also I was wondering between spikes and stealth rock as Skarmory is the only pokemon on my team that will do setups.

Magnezone
    Modest - Magnet Pull

Thunderbolt/ Thunder
    Flash Cannon
    [Insert move]/ Thunder
    [Insert Move]

Notes: This is also my first time using this pokemon, so while I get the hidden power stuff, breeding a modest one was hard enough so I don't know anything about getting it to have a proper Hidden Power move. Also I really abhor Explosion. What do you think about Thunder Wave/ Metal Sound?

Scizor
    Jolly - Technician

Bullet Punch
    Night Slash/ X - Scissor
    Swords Dance
    Aerial Ace

Notes: Another pokemon with many good moves but I can't teach it bug bite as I don't have a single pokemon that knows that move. Plus I was aiming for Adamant + technician but I gave up after about 40-50 Scythers. The great problem here is Night Slash vs X-Scissor as Aerial ace and bullet punch both get boosts from technician.

Metagross
    Impish - Clear Body

Brick break/ hammer Arm
    Zen headbutt
    Ice Punch
    Earthquake

Notes: The only real problem I think here is the issue of Hammer Arm vs. Brick Break as hammer Arm does have a very nasty downside. Also I think Zen headbutt is better than Psychic but correct me if I'm wrong. i also need help with it's final move that covers it's weakness. So Ice Punch or Fire Punch or Thunder Punch or other?

Empoleon
    Bold - Torrent

Ice beam
    Surf
    [Insert move]/ Waterfall?
    [Insert move]

Notes: I've always had my water types know the HM moves Waterfall and Surf so with Empoleon's nature here I'm drawing a blank. I need a move that helps to cover it's weaknesses but I'm not really sure what to put there. Also I've thought about protect but don't know how to use it in-game so if someone could help me with that it would be great!

So yeah my major problems is mixing the good attributes of this team together and ensuring that the pokemon have moves that protect them against type advantages. I've alway just had one pokemon take down the elite 4 thanks to type advantages and my teams never worked cohesively together os I need help with the roles of my team members. Also I probably won't switch out pokemon unless you give me a completely crazy/amazing suggestion so if you could please just concentrate on the above pokemon, that would be great.

I don't really want to use Bisharp/ Excadrill as I already have 1 and I'm already using 1 of the elite 4's pokemon (Metagross) so I'd like to be a little more original. While it may sound silly, I had originally thought of this team through story of Black 2 - there isn't a steel type gym/ elite 4 in Unova. So why not have a Steel type chanpion, because let's be honest, Iris is just a 3rd rate rip off of Lance of the Kanto Elite 4.

So thanks for reading this and any constructive criticism would be most welcome!

Regards,
    Trainer0191
    Last edited by trainer0191; 14th May 2013 at 4:13 AM.
    Pokemon Black FC: 3440 0217 8589 - Abhi

Pokemon Black Team:

Banner accredited to rosierjay

You can use Everstones if you're breeding for natures; sticking one on a parent ensures the offspring will get the same nature. Not sure if you already knew this, but from the sound of Scizor's description, it sounds like you had trouble in that respect.

While we're on the subject of Scizor though, you don't have to breed for Bug Bite; it can be taught via move tutor in B2/W2. In addition, Aerial Ace isn't especially good on Scizor... you don't have to limit yourself solely to moves boosted by Technician. Scizor tends to need a fighting type move, as it cannot touch steel types without it. Its main options are Superpower and Brick Break; however, with Swords Dance, Brick Break would probably be the better option since Superpower will eat up your boosts.

I don't think Skarmory is doing much for your team, in all honesty. Spikes, while a godsend for competitive battling, are relatively worthless in-game; the opponents almost never switch so its main appeal is wasted. Plus, with its shallow coverage, and only modest attack/speed... it's not great in-game, though it's a terrific physical wall competitively. Usable attacking moves include Night Slash, X-Scissor, and Rock Slide; all of these give it more coverage. If you want, you could limit it to one flying type attack and take all three coverage moves. It's up to you, really.

Zen Headbutt is indeed better than Psychic on Metagross, as its attack is much higher than its special attack. Hammer Arm does have the downside of lowering speed, but given that Metagross is relatively slow to start... it's not an insurmountable downside. However, if you're dead set against becoming even slower, then Brick Break works fine.

While I know heavy steel is sort of meant to be the "theme" if you will of your team, you could benefit from a little more diversity. There's also Rock types, Ground types, and... users of Magic Guard. A magic guard user such as Alakazam (Dream World), Sigilyph, or Reuniclus could add some much needed diversity to your team while still being immune to TTar's Sandstorm. Something like Aerodactyl could also be beneficial. But, I'll leave that up to you, I suppose.

There's more that could be said but I'm going to go to bed now because I'm dead tired.
    Competitive/IGRMT Mod and one of the writers for the PotW.

I make no claim of being perfect or always right. Take everything I say with a grain of salt.

Quote Originally Posted by KillerDraco View Post
    You can use Everstones if you're breeding for natures; sticking one on a parent ensures the offspring will get the same nature. Not sure if you already knew this, but from the sound of Scizor's description, it sounds like you had trouble in that respect.

While we're on the subject of Scizor though, you don't have to breed for Bug Bite; it can be taught via move tutor in B2/W2. In addition, Aerial Ace isn't especially good on Scizor... you don't have to limit yourself solely to moves boosted by Technician. Scizor tends to need a fighting type move, as it cannot touch steel types without it. Its main options are Superpower and Brick Break; however, with Swords Dance, Brick Break would probably be the better option since Superpower will eat up your boosts.

I don't think Skarmory is doing much for your team, in all honesty. Spikes, while a godsend for competitive battling, are relatively worthless in-game; the opponents almost never switch so its main appeal is wasted. Plus, with its shallow coverage, and only modest attack/speed... it's not great in-game, though it's a terrific physical wall competitively. Usable attacking moves include Night Slash, X-Scissor, and Rock Slide; all of these give it more coverage. If you want, you could limit it to one flying type attack and take all three coverage moves. It's up to you, really.

Zen Headbutt is indeed better than Psychic on Metagross, as its attack is much higher than its special attack. Hammer Arm does have the downside of lowering speed, but given that Metagross is relatively slow to start... it's not an insurmountable downside. However, if you're dead set against becoming even slower, then Brick Break works fine.

While I know heavy steel is sort of meant to be the "theme" if you will of your team, you could benefit from a little more diversity. There's also Rock types, Ground types, and... users of Magic Guard. A magic guard user such as Alakazam (Dream World), Sigilyph, or Reuniclus could add some much needed diversity to your team while still being immune to TTar's Sandstorm. Something like Aerodactyl could also be beneficial. But, I'll leave that up to you, I suppose.

There's more that could be said but I'm going to go to bed now because I'm dead tired.
    Hey so thanks for your suggestions! You're right in that spikes are pretty much useless so I'm probably going to get rid of them and put in night slash/ x scissor and I think i might take off Brave bird and put in rock slide.

Man I was so pissed when I heard the everstone solution. i knew about it before but I'd forgotten about it, especially as I was breeding from an Adamant/ Technician Scizor. I am currently thinking of putting in Brick break for it as Superpower's PP usage is another thing that I'm not too fond off. Perhaps it's an offshoot from my FireRed days, but i tend to aoid moves like Fire Blast/ Hydro Pump on my pokemon until I'm battling the Elite 4. As if you remember, the games were a little harder than this one due to lack of doctors/ healing houses around every corner.

Funnily enough, Alkazam was one of my main choices while creating this team. It was only when I was deciding between it and Metagross that I was reminded of TTar's Sand Stream and decided to create a team with Steel types and TTar.

I might add Aerodactyl in place of Skarmory, though to be honest I do quite like it as Aerodactyl is pretty fragile and I've already invested a lot of time and xp and HP ups/ irons into Skarmory.

So do you think Aerodactyl would be kinda like this?

Aerodactyl
    Jolly/Adamant - Pressure

Fly
    Stone Edge/ Rock Slide
    Earthquake
    Ice/Thunder Fang

Pokemon Black Team:

For Metagross, keep Ice Punch.

I don't think Hammer Arm/Brick Break is really needed, though. Ground has a rather similar coverage with Fight, and furthermore, Ground + Ice already hits almost everything for at least neutral damage - only Levitate Bronzong resists it. IMO, just use Brick Break for its ability to break screens and hits Levitate Bronzong for neutral damage. Aside from the coverage thing, Hammer Arm also has the same base power as Earthquake, less accuracy than Earthquake, along with having a downside.

as for Magnezone, Thunder Wave and Metal Sound are okay, but you also can try Signal Beam for one more attack. And check its Hidden Power as well, if it has a good type then it may be usable.

My shinies. Just click the links~

~Shiny Banner 1~
    ~Shiny Banner 2~
    ~Shiny Banner 3~

My shinies are not for trade or cloning.
    Shinies are not listed in order, for example the last shiny on the banner is not always the latest shiny I've obtained.
    Banner 1 made by Light Venusaur, thanks ^_^

Quote Originally Posted by Shine View Post
    For Metagross, keep Ice Punch.

I don't think Hammer Arm/Brick Break is really needed, though. Ground has a rather similar coverage with Fight, and furthermore, Ground + Ice already hits almost everything for at least neutral damage - only Levitate Bronzong resists it. IMO, just use Brick Break for its ability to break screens and hits Levitate Bronzong for neutral damage. Aside from the coverage thing, Hammer Arm also has the same base power as Earthquake, less accuracy than Earthquake, along with having a downside.

as for Magnezone, Thunder Wave and Metal Sound are okay, but you also can try Signal Beam for one more attack. And check its Hidden Power as well, if it has a good type then it may be usable.
    Thanks! I'm going with Brick Break, Ice Punch, Earthquake & Meteor Mash for Metagross. And Magneton does have me stumped so I will be checking out its Hidden Power. For Scizor though, should I keep Night Slash or replace it with X-Scissor? Its current move set is: Bullet Punch, Swords Dance, Night Slash, Brick Break

Pokemon Black Team:

Bug Bite with Technician boost is much better than X-Scissor. IMO, replace Night Slash with Bug Bite.

My shinies. Just click the links~

~Shiny Banner 1~
    ~Shiny Banner 2~
    ~Shiny Banner 3~

My shinies are not for trade or cloning.
    Shinies are not listed in order, for example the last shiny on the banner is not always the latest shiny I've obtained.
    Banner 1 made by Light Venusaur, thanks ^_^

Cool thanks.

Pokemon Black Team: