Thread: Wifi RMT: Death by Flinches

Default Wifi RMT: Death by Flinches

After playing around a bit with different team combinations, this is what I've come up with for a 5th-gen WiFi battle team. General strategy is to leave the opponent confused, and overwhelm them with a variety of quick hits and dirty tricks.

Anti-Lead
    Accelgor @ Choice Scarf
    Hydration
    Hasty
    252 Speed, 252 HP, 4 Attack
    - Me First
    - Protect
    - U-Turn
    - Final Gambit

This is my lead Pokemon. It's main use is sploding the opponents lead with Final Gambit. I'll occasionally use Me First if I think it will net me a kill with Outrage or Shadow Ball. Protect is in just in case I suspect a first turn Explosion. I use Choice Scarf to outspeed opposing scarfed pokemon.

Damage Supprt
    Ambipom @ Razor Fang
    Technician
    Jolly
    252 Speed, 252 Attack, 4 HP
    - Fake Out
    - Fling
    - Last Resort

This is usually the second pokemon out in my battles. Strategy is pretty simple and one-dimensional. Open with Fake Out, flinch the opponent. Next, use Fling, flinch the opponent. After that, spam out Last Resort until you can't anymore.

Anti-Sweeper
    Liepard @ Normal Gem
    Unburden
    Bold
    252 Speed, 252 HP, 4 Defense
    - Fake Out
    - Foul Play
    - U-Turn
    - Taunt

I typically use Liepard as a counter to sweepers or general high attack pokemon. A combination of Fake Out and Foul Play is usually enough to safely take out a multitude of threatening sweepers. In my experiences using it, I have taken out Darmanitan, Haxorus, Gyarados, Scizor, and several others. With the combination of Priority Fake Out, and Unburden boosted Foul Play, very little has a chance of outspeeding it short of priority.

Sweeper
    Porygon Z @ Life Orb
    Download
    Timid
    252 Speed, 252 Special Attack, 4 HP
    - Tri-Attack
    - Shadow Ball
    - Lightning Bolt
    - Ice Beam

Basically a standard special attack cannon.

Tank
    Cloyster @ King's Rock
    Skill Link
    Lax
    252 Attack, 252 Speed, 4 Defense
    - Ice Shard
    - Rock Blast
    - Icicle Spear
    - Shell Smash

Physical sweeper with tanky aspects. Can take Earthquakes like a champ, but hates any sort of special attack, even resisted ones. Has a 42% chance to flinch on Rock Blast and Icicle Spear.

Subseeder
    Whimsicott @ Leftovers
    Prankster
    Naive
    252 HP, 252 Speed, 4 Special Attack
    - Substitute
    - Leech Seed
    - Stun Spore
    - Hurricane

After testing with this, I decided I like a 252 Special Attack 4 HP spread better, but haven't trained a new Whimsicott yet. Basic priority subseeding set, with Hurricane as an option to attack, and beat down opposing grass types. Speed EVs are for Hurricane, and help with landing the first hit.
    Friend Codes:
    White - 4127 2248 0133
    XY - 3883 5380 6051

Whimsicott needs lots of work. Use this set instead

Whimsicott @ Leftovers
    Prankster
    Bold/Impish
    252 Def, 252 Sp. Def. 4 HP
    Substitute
    Leech Seed
    Encore
    Taunt/ Stun Spore

Because of Pranster's priority, speed isn't really needed at all. I love, love, LOVE this set.

Cloyster's nature should be Jolly, not Lax and give it Razor Shell/Hydro Pump over Ice Shard since the coverage is nice to have.

Accelgor shouldn't have a Choice Scarf and Protect. Accelgor already outspeeds a majority of all Pokemon. Final Gambit will not knock out very many Pokemon since Accelgor's HP stat isn't very good at all, it'll just put you down one Poke of the bat. This set will do you more favors:

Accelgor @ Choice Specs/ Life Orb
    Hyrdration
    Modest/Timid
    252 Sp. Attack, 252 Speed, 4 HP
    Bug Buzz
    Giga Drain
    Focus Blast
    Yawn (because it literally has nothing better)

The rest of your team looks okay I guess...
    If you like this, see this and much more at...

http://superartninja.deviantart.com/# - Deviant Art Profile

I'd lose the King's Rock on Cloyster. Honestly, after a Shell Smash, it's got enough power to KO most things out right. Before a shell smash, it's too slow to flinch most things. I'd give it a Focus Sash or a White Herb, both of which make it more likely that it'll actually survive long enough to shell smash; the former can potentially guarantee you a turn alive, while the former will patch up the defense drop (which would compromise physical bulk anyway).

Your team is somewhat Scizor weak, given nothing resists its Bullet Punch so Choice Band variants could switch in, and begin to fire off Bullet Punches with impunity, bypassing any flinch strategies. You don't really have much that can break through the defensive stalwart that is Ferrothorn, either. Both of these Pokemon are EXTREMELY common so it's worth taking them into account.

Also, I find it odd that if you're trying to annoy with flinches, you didn't choose the single best flincher in the game; Jirachi. With Serene Grace, its Iron Head reaches a 60% chance to flinch, which is high enough to make King's Rock Cloyster blush. Plus, it adds a much needed defensive presence on your team, and some much needed resistances. I actually think a Sub Jirachi would benefit you immensely, but it requires leftovers to function effectively, and Wifi doesn't allow duplicate items so you'd have to choose between it and Whimsicott for the Leftovers. You could also run a Scarf Jirachi as well (since Choice Scarf on Accelgor is largely redundant and a waste in most cases).

SubRachi @ Leftovers
    Serene Grace
    Jolly Nature
    EVs: 252 HP / 160 Atk / 96 Spe
    -Substitute
    -Body Slam/Thunder Wave
    -Iron Head
    -Fire Punch

ScarfRachi @Choice Scarf
    Serene Grace
    Jolly Nature
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
    -Iron Head
    -Fire Punch
    -Ice Punch
    -Trick/U-Turn

I'd replace Ambipom with it, as Ambipom honestly is the weakest link in your team. Fling is a one-time gimmick and Last Resort is easily walled by the myriad of steel types, compromising its high power. Note that Togekiss can also function much the same way as Jirachi, but it's slower, and lacks the defensive typing that your team could use.
    I make no claim of being perfect or always right. Take everything I say with a grain of salt.

My Friend Safari is horribly underwhelming, being a Fighting Safari with Machoke, Sawk, and Hariyama.