Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Crowning the Scalchop King (787)

Quote Originally Posted by Dracoflare View Post
    Ash and Oshawott were disqualified after his scalchop broke in half. He didn't win the golden scalchop. If he did, they'd have mentioned something about transporting it. For example Iris did talk about sending her feathers to Dragon Village.
    so then the tournament was nothing but a huge farce and oshawott's win doesn't count, wow that's pretty bad for the poor little guy.

The next time we see Miju, AKA most likely next episode the shell will be good as new.

Quote Originally Posted by Almighty Zard View Post
    so then the tournament was nothing but a huge farce and oshawott's win doesn't count, wow that's pretty bad for the poor little guy.
    So because Ash and Oshawott didn't get the prize (which would have been redundant anyway), Oshawott's win is suddenly meaningless? I'd really like to know how you worked that out. I can't @ the thinly-veiled shade that Oshawott has to endure in his own episode. He won a battle like everyone wanted and yet apparently that's not good enough now.

Quote Originally Posted by Ciccone View Post
    So because Ash and Oshawott didn't get the prize (which would have been redundant anyway), Oshawott's win is suddenly meaningless? I'd really like to know how you worked that out. I can't @ the thinly-veiled shade that Oshawott has to endure in his own episode. He won a battle like everyone wanted and yet apparently that's not good enough now.
    it isn't the prize, it was an official battle, and if Oshawott was truely disqualified and the decision reversed for Ceaser, then it makes the battle look pointless because in the end there was no real need for the two to fight at all.
    Last edited by Almighty Zard; 17th May 2013 at 7:32 AM.

it isn't the prize, it was an official battle, and if Oshawott was truely disqualified and the decision reversed for Ceaser, then it makes the battle look pointless because in the end there was no real need for the two to fight at all.
    That's incredibly stupid. No one should give a damn about the officialness of the fight, Oshawott smashed the Dewott, end of story. Why do we need reasons for fights, I would love it of Ash just challenged random trainers and had random battles all the time like in the games. I just wanna see the Pokemon battle.

Now each of Ash's Unova starters has defeated their higher evolutions. Snivy vs Trip's Servine, Pignite vs Shamus's Emboar and Oshawott vs Ceasar.
    XY group / Amourshipping Christmas fan comic: http://rohanite.tumblr.com/post/1061...-were-a-bit-of

My art: http://rohanite.deviantart.com/gallery/

This is Turtwig, he was the most under appreciated starter in Diamond & Pearl. If you picked Turtwig as your starter, put this in your sig. Started by Dax-360

This episode was made purely for all the oshawott fans out there...there was practically zero substance to it as the recycled archetypes ran rampant throughout...there's a jerk rival, there's a girl/ prize to be won, said jerk has the upper hand but our hero pulls a miracle out if his butt in the last minute and one shots his opponent even though he should have already gone down! BUT OH WAIT!!! The girl likes the jerk!!! Shocker, I know...essentially a mixture of that meowth episode with the persian and the grovyle episode with the tropius...ONLY, nothing actually happened here!...At least in that other episodes, we got a lovely meowth backstory in one and an amazing evolution in the other...this episode just reiterates how oshawott is to remain forever alone (and forever unevolved)...Even the little TR scheme was cliched and ended in a cliched manner (not that I really care since I actually prefer epic fail TR)...the ending was bogus as well...how the hell did oshawott take down dewott with one razor shell/ aqua jet combo when it got hit by aquat jet, hydro pump, and razor shell while said dewott was untouched? They could have at least spiced it up with more move variety but nope, just have oshawott copy dewott's moves...they could have had oshawott's scalchop break mid-battle to increase the tension but nope, it breaks at the end for a silly reason...this story has been done multiple times before to the point of plot predictability, they just decided to do it with oshawotts and dewotts this time...in conclusion, if you like oshawotts, you'll get a hoot out of this ep...if you want some substance, rewatch "Go West Young Meowth" and you'll get the idea and much more...as for me, I'm going to wait for my little princess, snivy, to finally get some screen time...
    Draconic Pokemon are King: My Deviant: http://xxd17.deviantart.com

Omega Ruby Team:

Quote Originally Posted by XXD17 View Post
    This episode was made purely for all the oshawott fans out there...there was practically zero substance to it as the recycled archetypes ran rampant throughout...there's a jerk rival, there's a girl/ prize to be won, said jerk has the upper hand but our hero pulls a miracle out if his butt in the last minute and one shots his opponent even though he should have already gone down! BUT OH WAIT!!! The girl likes the jerk!!! Shocker, I know...essentially a mixture of that meowth episode with the persian and the grovyle episode with the tropius...ONLY, nothing actually happened here!...At least in that other episodes, we got a lovely meowth backstory in one and an amazing evolution in the other...this episode just reiterates how oshawott is to remain forever alone (and forever unevolved)...Even the little TR scheme was cliched and ended in a cliched manner (not that I really care since I actually prefer epic fail TR)...the ending was bogus as well...how the hell did oshawott take down dewott with one razor shell/ aqua jet combo when it got hit by aquat jet, hydro pump, and razor shell while said dewott was untouched? They could have at least spiced it up with more move variety but nope, just have oshawott copy dewott's moves...they could have had oshawott's scalchop break mid-battle to increase the tension but nope, it breaks at the end for a silly reason...this story has been done multiple times before to the point of plot predictability, they just decided to do it with oshawotts and dewotts this time...in conclusion, if you like oshawotts, you'll get a hoot out of this ep...if you want some substance, rewatch "Go West Young Meowth" and you'll get the idea and much more...as for me, I'm going to wait for my little princess, snivy, to finally get some screen time...
    I think there's enough substance considering Oshawott really really needed this win. He's been nothing but fodder for the writers for over a year when it comes to battling.
    XY group / Amourshipping Christmas fan comic: http://rohanite.tumblr.com/post/1061...-were-a-bit-of

This is Turtwig, he was the most under appreciated starter in Diamond & Pearl. If you picked Turtwig as your starter, put this in your sig. Started by Dax-360

Quote Originally Posted by Rohanator View Post
    I think there's enough substance considering Oshawott really really needed this win. He's been nothing but fodder for the writers for over a year when it comes to battling.
    Does it even matter at this point?

This episode is along the same lines as a lot of fillers the show has done, I didn't hate it but it didn't bring much to the table. And that also has to be one of the lamest exit montages I've ever seen.
    Defeated Super Single Subway Master Ingo - August 19th, 2013

Searching for: Litwick - Near Perfect IVs, Manetric (Shiny) - Good IVs, Switcheroo
    Can offer high IV'd Bagons, Digletts, and Darumakas, as well as DWs, Pokerus, and more, PM me if interesting in negotiating.

9. Default

This episode was a cop out.

Ash FINALLY wins something this a region, a competition, and loses it on a technicality.....

Quote Originally Posted by Durian Seed View Post
    This episode was a cop out.

Ash FINALLY wins something this a region, a competition, and loses it on a technicality.....
    He won a competition last week also.

Quote Originally Posted by RVD_fan View Post
    Does it even matter at this point?

This episode is along the same lines as a lot of fillers the show has done, I didn't hate it but it didn't bring much to the table. And that also has to be one of the lamest exit montages I've ever seen.
    This wasn't a filler, neither was last week or the first DA episode for obvious reason, the honey one sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Rohanator View Post
    That's not really justifiable considering how snivy hasn't gotten any wins or even screen time recently...even though oshawott is usually the butt of a joke, he gets ample screen time...but I don't see them making an archetype-laden snivy-centric episode any time soon...when it comes down to it, this episode is simply an attempt to smother the audience with more oshawott...also, even though he won at the end, he was still made the butt of the joke...not really a true win if you ask me...

I'm sorry if I come off as angry...I guess I'm just biased...I never cared for oshawott (always been on the side for it to evolve into a samurott and make something of itself)...but I guess I'm still bitter about how badly snivy got humiliated at the league and still has yet to redeem herself...so seeing oshawott-centric ep with so much fluff just seemed like a waste of an episode...
    Last edited by XXD17; 17th May 2013 at 8:21 PM.

Omega Ruby Team:

That's not really justifiable considering how snivy hasn't gotten any wins or even screen time recently...even though oshawott is usually the butt of a joke, he gets ample screen time...but I don't see them making an archetype-laden snivy-centric episode any time soon...when it comes down to it, this episode is simply an attempt to smother the audience with more oshawott...also, even though he won at the end, he was still made the butt of the joke...not really a true win if you ask me...
    Snivy got that win against the weird women before the league. Oshawott got his last win in the 5th gym. Do you really think Snivy deserved an episode more than Oshawott? Since Clay, Oshawott has done nothing. Absolutely nothing. Snivy has gotten a few things to do, like help Tepig and the episode I named. And Oshawott won a battle, therefore, it is a true win. Just because the writers made him lose the tournament doesn't mean he lost the actual battle.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSirPeras View Post
    Oshawott got his last win in the 5th gym.
    Why do people purposely ignore the fact that Oshawott's last win was against an Onix? You know, in the episode where he learned Hydro Pump.

Erm, Dewott's trainer was being rude to Ash and Oshawott. In fact, I believe the kid said that his Dewott would win the battle because it was an evolved Pokemon. I think Ash and Oshawott wanted to prove that they could win regardless just to show the kid that evolution isn't everything. So it seemed like part of the reason they were battling was because of principles.

But look five pages already. Clearly Oshawott's influence has attracted people from far and wide. Oshawott, his impact.
    Last edited by Lorde; 17th May 2013 at 9:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSirPeras View Post
    Snivy got that win against the weird women before the league. Oshawott got his last win in the 5th gym. Do you really think Snivy deserved an episode more than Oshawott? Since Clay, Oshawott has done nothing. Absolutely nothing. Snivy has gotten a few things to do, like help Tepig and the episode I named. And Oshawott won a battle, therefore, it is a true win. Just because the writers made him lose the tournament doesn't mean he lost the actual battle.
    My problem was never about getting wins...losses can be just as good as long as some development can be garnered from them...but that's besides the point...I'm more concerned with screen time...you've probably noticed but oshawott has gotten massive amounts of screen time albeit he was used as comic relief for most of them, he was there nonetheless...the most recent extensive event involving snivy was the league battle with lucario and that battle, IMHO, was complete crap...but it was some screen time...anyways, that's also besides the point...what I'm trying to say is that oshawott gets enough screen time as is (even though he fails in most of them)...dedicating a whole episode that follows an overworked archetype just for him wasn't necessary especially since he didn't get much out of it besides proving to the audience that he's still kinda powerful...

keep in mind this is all my opinion...this is just my feeling...I'm not denouncing the anime nor am I asking for change....this is just how I felt when watching this...

Omega Ruby Team:

Quote Originally Posted by Pepsi_Plunge View Post
    This wasn't a filler, neither was last week or the first DA episode for obvious reason, the honey one sure.
    I meant fillers from past seasons, where Ash finds out about some competition and/or one of his Pokemon falls in love but loses out.

I don't see how this can't be considered a filler. It didn't contribute to any over-arching narrative and it didn't provide any character development. I suppose you could say the fact that Oshawott almost left prevents it from being a filler, but that intrigue wasn't brought up until the very end and was held for all of ninety seconds.
    Defeated Super Single Subway Master Ingo - August 19th, 2013

Searching for: Litwick - Near Perfect IVs, Manetric (Shiny) - Good IVs, Switcheroo
    Can offer high IV'd Bagons, Digletts, and Darumakas, as well as DWs, Pokerus, and more, PM me if interesting in negotiating.

Why do people purposely ignore the fact that Oshawott's last win was against an Onix? You know, in the episode where he learned Hydro Pump.
    People tend not to care about smashing wild Pokemon as much unless it's something out of the ordinary. Killing an Onix with a Hydro Pump is nothing special so it makes sense to consider the 5th gym Oshawott's last battling achievement, luckily his latest one is now dat big Ceasar.

Quote Originally Posted by RVD_fan View Post
    I meant fillers from past seasons, where Ash finds out about some competition and/or one of his Pokemon falls in love but loses out.

I don't see how this can't be considered a filler. It didn't contribute to any over-arching narrative and it didn't provide any character development. I suppose you could say the fact that Oshawott almost left prevents it from being a filler, but that intrigue wasn't brought up until the very end and was held for all of ninety seconds.
    It wouldn't be a filler in any series, Oshawott participated in a tournament and won it(or not by that stupid reason).

So Oshawott does something and people are still complaining? Hmm, I wonder what would have happened if he would have lost? Let's see, complain maybe?

My ideal battle ever!

It was before Snivys last win so my point remains

At least it was a moral victory??? Yeah I got nothing, even when Oshawott wins he loses
    3DS code:1048-8163-5480
    Why exactly can't Ash get this little guy?
    "I already told you, I don't mind playing the bad guy every once in a while."~ Sonic the Hedgehog

I'm sorry if I come off as angry...I guess I'm just biased...I never cared for oshawott (always been on the side for it to evolve into a samurott and make something of itself)...but I guess I'm still bitter about how badly snivy got humiliated at the league and still has yet to redeem herself...so seeing oshawott-centric ep with so much fluff just seemed like a waste of an episode...
    Snivy was far from humiliated. That title belongs to Unfezant. Snivy pretty much beat Riolu, but due to it evolving, that caused the table to turn, but even then she put up with a decent amount of damage, and landed a powerful leafblade?

Anyway, this episode wasn't a waste, and it helped to prove that Oshawott is decent. I am just wondering if its next appearance with showcase a bandaged up Scallop shell or not.

Name: Arugula
    Adopt one yourself! @Pokémon Orphanage

Quote Originally Posted by Dracoflare View Post
    Ash and Oshawott were disqualified after his scalchop broke in half. He didn't win the golden scalchop. If he did, they'd have mentioned something about transporting it. For example Iris did talk about sending her feathers to Dragon Village.
    Who said they were disqualified in the episode?
    Confirmed Generation VI:

Chespin, Fennekin, Froakie, Xerneas, Yveltal, Sylveon, Pancham, Fletchling, Helioptile, Gogoat, Noivern, Vivillon, Talonflame, Skrelp, Clauncher, Spewpa, Scatterbug, Litleo, Flabébé, Honedge, Pangoro, Inkay, Malamar, Spritzee, Swirlix, Skiddo, Bunnelby, Dedenne, Furfrou, Quilladin, Braixen, Frogadier, Tyrunt, Amaura, Meowstic, Pyroar, Aurorus, Tyrantrum, Doublade

Quote Originally Posted by jrizza88 View Post
    Snivy was far from humiliated. That title belongs to Unfezant. Snivy pretty much beat Riolu, but due to it evolving, that caused the table to turn, but even then she put up with a decent amount of damage, and landed a powerful leafblade?

Anyway, this episode wasn't a waste, and it helped to prove that Oshawott is decent. I am just wondering if its next appearance with showcase a bandaged up Scallop shell or not.
    And Boldore. Boldore's last win was literally in the 5th gym. He's had no wins ever since. At least Oshawott put a good dent into Hydreigon. Boldore only got one hit and took the same amount of hits as Oshawott despite being a tank.

As for Unfezant, same thing. Only win was against Skyla's Swanna and was humiliated by Cameron's Riolu which Snivy did really well against.

Good god, I really hope Boldore evolves or else Boldore suffers the same fate as Torterra (which IMO the latter's really strong, just faced against strong opponents).

Mijumaru...-_-;

The most amusing parts were Iris's face, Dento not being a Scalchop Sommelier and Mijuka choosing Caesar. The fake goodbye was kind of sad, but I knew he wouldn't leave...>.<;;

“...This is a tricky problem, huh. I really, really want to see the other Heroes... and if it works out, I want to make friends with them! If I made friends with six Heroes, I’d be an awesome mage! We could even conquer the world!”
    -Flatt Escardos, Fate Strange Fake
    3DS Friend Code: 1306-5187-6204
    tumblr|fanfiction

while it was neat the Dewott kept his name, I still think the whole thing was pointless, again as soon as Oshawott's scalchop broke, he gets disaqulified and Ceaser is made the king by default, even his snobbish trainer was like. "I guess they were meant to be together." when Ceaser and the female Oshawott got together.

Oshawott got nothing from this episode, if you believe he did your kidding yourself.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast