Thread: Death Note Discussion Thread

Default Death Note Discussion Thread

Here you can discuss about the famous manga, Death Note!

Wild Future ~ Tyrone Walpole
    Credit
    I have claimed the Almighty Charizard.

Liked it at first, read all the way through, and just thought it wasn't all that anymore.. M and L weren't all that for me. It started to wind down into 'how many times can we feign having the real note, etc'.. It really got tiresome, but the first part was spectacular.
    Answer to all the bad things in the world: Give up on trying to make everything better. Hence, accepting it for what it is. YOLO! <- Click the link and daw.. -.-

I read I believe the first half of the series when I was in my sophomore year of high school. I was borrowing the series from a classmate, and I got up to I think volume five or six before it stopped (my parents raised a brow at the series because of the book covers, but they didn't exactly speak out against it). I was genuinely interested in it, especially since either earlier that year or the previous year I saw the movie in my Japanese class, and I loved it. I heard nothing but good things about it, so I wanted to get into it, but I slowly lost interest over time.

Sure, I know the ending now pretty much, but I hear the anime isn't as detailed as the manga, and the anime is on my "to watch" list. So chances are I may get back into the manga one of these days, especially since I am in a collecting mood, and am looking for a few new series to collect. I might wait for a few years, as I'm going ahead and finish up a few series before I go after new ones, though if I see it in stores, I'll go ahead and pick it up. And also every book I order on Amazon gets sent to my grandparents' house where most of my stuff is, and I think Grandma might show concern about it, as she opens the packages and hands the books over. Which is kinda odd she hasn't said anything on the Higurashi books, what with the copious amounts of blood on the covers... but whatever.
    Winner of Best Pokémon/Pokémon Fic of 2013 in the Shipping Oscars
    Current Chapter: Chapter Ten - 3/17/14 / Current: Requiem I - 11/17/14 - Chapter 21 progress: 66%
    I survived Pupa.

Great manga and anime. Decent Live Action films.

What are the people's thoughts on the Live Action U.S. remake, that's being directed by Shane Black?

I was obsessed with it at one point, but I read the books so many times that I sort of got over it. I'm sure I could get back into it if I read through it again though. My favorite character was Light because I actually thought his ideals were good and even though he was sort of crazy, I couldn't help but like him. I mean at least he tried to change the world.

It was great up until the time skip but it started getting very tiresome and the new villains were just L with a different personality. The ending was very sudden and felt incomplete to me. I actually expected the other guy to win XD ( I know the manga is finished but I don't to say spoilers because I know some people that have it in their list to start/finish).

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Dragon View Post
    What are the people's thoughts on the Live Action U.S. remake, that's being directed by Shane Black?
    Oh yeah, completely forgot about that. I was pretty sure it would be sent to development hell pretty quickly, I haven't heard much about it for the last, I dunno, couple of years. The IMDB page has been updated in February, but there's nothing of interest. I don't think it'll be good, honestly. If Japan can't make good live action movies of Death Note (from what I've heard from fans), then what are the odds that an American will be able to do it?
    Current Chapter: Chapter Ten - 3/17/14 / Current: Requiem I - 11/17/14 - Chapter 21 progress: 66%
    I survived Pupa.

Right now I'm on Chapter 48! The repetitive Kiras are getting boring. :/

Wild Future ~ Tyrone Walpole
    Credit
    I have claimed the Almighty Charizard.

Noes, spoilerz! I heard about the repetitive Kiras, but I don't remember if I reached that part... I don't know what volume number chapter 48 would be...

Anyhoo, since I was unable to mention it in my previous post a month ago, funny story. About several days after I mentioned making the decision to buy the Death Note volumes when I saw them, I went to the Half-Price Bookstore where lo and behold the shelf was restocked and had some Death Note volumes. And the first two were available. And as it was Memorial Day weekend, everything was 20% off. It was awesome. So now it's a permanent part of my collection, though I'm holding off on buying more at the moment, since I'm focusing on a few other things. If I ever run into more, I'll buy them for sure, though.

But yeah, the first two volumes are amazing at keeping one hooked. Even though I had read them before and seen the movie, I was very invested, and I mourned not having anymore volumes on me, because that meant I had to stop reading. And the art, it's beautiful, it has a cinematic feel to it. I love looking at it.
    I survived Pupa.

Seen the series, and I adore L! He my future husband. (Yes I know what my username says, the thing was longer than 16 characters) Although (WARNING SPOILER) I almost stopped watching it when L died, but then my brother encouraged me to give Near and Mello a chance. Great series, love it! *Light I will get revenge on you*