Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
Results 126 to 150 of 512

Thread: Thoughts on "Decolora Adventures!" Team Rocket?

  1. #126
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1,226

    Default

    Being super-spies, carefully plotting a large-scale theft and infiltration gambit at the same time, trying to control the weather, and generally being competent threats is interesting.

    Making the same kind of appearances, using the same kinds of jokes, and always getting blasted off in the end is not interesting. It's freaking predictable.

  2. #127
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Philadelphia,PA,USA
    Posts
    1,992

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AgentPierce View Post
    Being super-spies, carefully plotting a large-scale theft and infiltration gambit at the same time, trying to control the weather, and generally being competent threats is interesting.

    Making the same kind of appearances, using the same kinds of jokes, and always getting blasted off in the end is not interesting. It's freaking predictable.
    I get what you're saying, but I'd prefer consistency or a gradual growth. TRio getting a promotion made sense, but I feel like there was so much more they could have done, like an underlying plot of how TRio felt about achieving their dream and maybe a rivalry with Butch and Cassidy. All that happened was we had the goofballs get a promotion at the end of DP, then BW airs and they're suddenly serious to a point it doesn't seem natural

    If TRio had better lines when they're goofballs, people probably wouldn't hate them as much. I take it that people who dislike normal TRio aren't fans of Bugs Bunny, Elmer Fudd, Daffy Duck, Tweety Bird, Sylvester, Wile E Coyote, Roadrunner, Beavis and Butt-head, The Simpson's, Tom and Jerry, Goofy, Johnny Bravo, etc....




    Platinum FC: 2924 5508 7388

    HeartGold FC: 5372 2982 5997

    White 1 FC: 3396 3135 0386

  3. #128
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    550

    Default

    Most of those characters you mentioned don't use the exact same "jokes" over and over.
    Last edited by moneylesswario; 28th May 2013 at 3:25 PM.
    I, stickerstaryoshi, am now authorized to use the usertitle "We got 3D: XY!", created by user Cresselia92 and to modify it according to my desires.

    Fan of the Mario and Luigi series since 2005.

  4. #129
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Philadelphia,PA,USA
    Posts
    1,992

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by marioluigifan05 View Post
    All of those characters you mentioned don't use the exact same "jokes" over and over.
    Yes. They do. I would rather answer specific questions than an entire essay explaining the similarities so I'll do it simple

    Wile E, Elmer, Sylvester, Tom, Beavis and Butt-head, and Johnny Bravo = TRio

    Roadrunner, Bugs, Tweety, Jerry, "scoring" and chicks, = never stealing Pikachu for the boss or other Pokémon and blasting off




    Platinum FC: 2924 5508 7388

    HeartGold FC: 5372 2982 5997

    White 1 FC: 3396 3135 0386

  5. #130
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    1,260

    Default

    In way that team rocket should have been writen out of this season of Bw. I was okay with them in Bw, Bw2 and a little of Bw2N, but in this sage they are kind of pointless. In the Zourark episode they did nothing to move the plot along and fell into the ocean. They were never seen again. Big Lipped Alagator momment! I want new made up villians to bring something new to the table and show Pokemon can have good villians.

  6. #131
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    New Tork City
    Posts
    7,745

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheFonz View Post
    I get what you're saying, but I'd prefer consistency or a gradual growth. TRio getting a promotion made sense, but I feel like there was so much more they could have done, like an underlying plot of how TRio felt about achieving their dream and maybe a rivalry with Butch and Cassidy. All that happened was we had the goofballs get a promotion at the end of DP, then BW airs and they're suddenly serious to a point it doesn't seem natural
    That happened because one change BW made at the beginning was the dropping of endless filler episodes that ultimately mean nothing.

    You got how they felt about achieving their dream in DP191 and BW002. Butch and Cassidy were even worse characters than they were by DP and had nothing to contribute.

    If TRio had better lines when they're goofballs, people probably wouldn't hate them as much.
    You tell yourself that if it makes you feel better.

    I take it that people who dislike normal TRio aren't fans of Bugs Bunny, Elmer Fudd, Daffy Duck, Tweety Bird, Sylvester, Wile E Coyote, Roadrunner, Beavis and Butt-head, The Simpson's, Tom and Jerry, Goofy, Johnny Bravo, etc....
    The difference is that the vast majority of those are actually funny.

    Imagine if the Three Stooges made a 30 minute television show every week for 15+ years. And even then, their writing was more creative.

    (Banner by Matori)
    Beyond all ideals, the truth shall set you free...
    Most Recent: 18: Winter of Discontent
    Next: The Weight of the World (Part 1)

    The steps on the road to the truth.
    The Firestorm Rebellion
    The Victory Star of Fate


    Glacidia Network - The Home for Fanworks
    Best Wishes appreciation blog

  7. #132
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Philadelphia,PA,USA
    Posts
    1,992

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Great Butler View Post
    That happened because one change BW made at the beginning was the dropping of endless filler episodes that ultimately mean nothing.

    You got how they felt about achieving their dream in DP191 and BW002. Butch and Cassidy were even worse characters than they were by DP and had nothing to contribute.



    You tell yourself that if it makes you feel better.



    The difference is that the vast majority of those are actually funny.

    Imagine if the Three Stooges made a 30 minute television show every week for 15+ years. And even then, their writing was more creative.
    Such debating manners. Yes I need to tell myself lies to keep me sane and from being clinically depressed. Because apparently I'm wrong for having a different opinion

    I've had people tell me they dislike some, most, or all of those characters because
    1. They're too stupid. The joke is that it's supposed to be stupid but they find it too stupid
    2. It's the same thing over and over and we all know _______ will never get/shoot/steal/eat/etc _________

    My point is humor is subjective. Also, your Three Stooges comparison is wrong. There's only about 20-23 minutes each week, most of which they aren't the central focus. It's about Ash, Pikachu, Ash's Pokémon, and Ash's friends




    Platinum FC: 2924 5508 7388

    HeartGold FC: 5372 2982 5997

    White 1 FC: 3396 3135 0386

  8. #133
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    New Tork City
    Posts
    7,745

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheFonz View Post
    Such debating manners. Yes I need to tell myself lies to keep me sane and from being clinically depressed. Because apparently I'm wrong for having a different opinion
    Sarcasm.

    I was sarcastic because you could not possibly be more wrong with the assumption that "better lines" would be the fix for the problem.

    Also, your Three Stooges comparison is wrong. There's only about 20-23 minutes each week, most of which they aren't the central focus. It's about Ash, Pikachu, Ash's Pokémon, and Ash's friends
    And for years on end it was about how they beat Team Rocket every week.

    Making this about the numbers is a strawman. The point is that Team Rocket did the exact same shtick every week for countless years with no variation. It got old. (And you hurt your own argument by bringing in The Simpsons, because even a lot of their fans think that show is way past its prime.)

    (Banner by Matori)
    Beyond all ideals, the truth shall set you free...
    Most Recent: 18: Winter of Discontent
    Next: The Weight of the World (Part 1)

    The steps on the road to the truth.
    The Firestorm Rebellion
    The Victory Star of Fate


    Glacidia Network - The Home for Fanworks
    Best Wishes appreciation blog

  9. #134
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Philadelphia,PA,USA
    Posts
    1,992

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Great Butler View Post
    Sarcasm.

    I was sarcastic because you could not possibly be more wrong with the assumption that "better lines" would be the fix for the problem.



    And for years on end it was about how they beat Team Rocket every week.

    Making this about the numbers is a strawman. The point is that Team Rocket did the exact same shtick every week for countless years with no variation. It got old. (And you hurt your own argument by bringing in The Simpsons, because even a lot of their fans think that show is way past its prime.)
    My mistake, I apologize. What I meant was it can be a part of it. Dialogue is important, but I wasn't trying to say it was the main problem. I found TRio funny most of the time until the dub switch. Then they got to be funny at times, but made me cringe because some lines seemed forced or unnatural. I also never really had a problem with them being in the show because I consider them staples to the show, and it wouldn't seem right to just take them out of it without some kind of ending(like Brock). But instances like them in the Sinnoh League were a bit much.

    I guess I didn't have a problem with their shtick because it seemed "right" to me and that I got it was supposed to be over and over again but different shtick for different situations. To me, that's what TRio is. But I agree with you that the writers need to make changes and how they let things play out. I dislike how they handled Ash like you dislike how they handled TRio, but I'm hopeful for X and Y and that it will be a long series with plenty of time so there's not any rushing.

    That's what I feel was the main problem with BW anime. Not enough time. Same with my dislike of the rushed feeling of the Sinnoh League and ending of the AG series, they had no time.

    *Edit*
    The Simpson's weren't getting bad until after the movie. I blame the movie for the current apathy towards the Simpson's too. From what I hear it's getting better though
    Last edited by TheFonz; 28th May 2013 at 5:53 AM.




    Platinum FC: 2924 5508 7388

    HeartGold FC: 5372 2982 5997

    White 1 FC: 3396 3135 0386

  10. #135
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    New Tork City
    Posts
    7,745

    Default

    Fair enough.

    Unfortunately (for me at least) the chances of Team Rocket at least going back to their latter-half Chapter of N selves are much lower than Ash doing better in Kalos than in Unova.

    (Banner by Matori)
    Beyond all ideals, the truth shall set you free...
    Most Recent: 18: Winter of Discontent
    Next: The Weight of the World (Part 1)

    The steps on the road to the truth.
    The Firestorm Rebellion
    The Victory Star of Fate


    Glacidia Network - The Home for Fanworks
    Best Wishes appreciation blog

  11. #136
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    The lone star state
    Posts
    584

    Default

    I'm sick and tired of Team Rocket. I enjoyed them from OS-AG. By the time DP rolled around, I had enough of them. Keeping them around for X and Y would be a huge mistake.

  12. #137
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    3,799

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheFonz View Post
    My mistake, I apologize. What I meant was it can be a part of it. Dialogue is important, but I wasn't trying to say it was the main problem. I found TRio funny most of the time until the dub switch. Then they got to be funny at times, but made me cringe because some lines seemed forced or unnatural. I also never really had a problem with them being in the show because I consider them staples to the show, and it wouldn't seem right to just take them out of it without some kind of ending(like Brock). But instances like them in the Sinnoh League were a bit much.

    I guess I didn't have a problem with their shtick because it seemed "right" to me and that I got it was supposed to be over and over again but different shtick for different situations. To me, that's what TRio is. But I agree with you that the writers need to make changes and how they let things play out. I dislike how they handled Ash like you dislike how they handled TRio, but I'm hopeful for X and Y and that it will be a long series with plenty of time so there's not any rushing.

    That's what I feel was the main problem with BW anime. Not enough time. Same with my dislike of the rushed feeling of the Sinnoh League and ending of the AG series, they had no time.

    *Edit*
    The Simpson's weren't getting bad until after the movie. I blame the movie for the current apathy towards the Simpson's too. From what I hear it's getting better though
    The anime didn't have a lot of time because there were no remakes this gen, so that took a full year off of BW.

    And the simpsons went down hill before the movie.
    My first shiny ever caught!

    Named Admiral Sentret

  13. #138
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    550

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheFonz View Post
    Wile E, Elmer, Sylvester, Tom, Beavis and Butt-head, and Johnny Bravo = TRio

    Roadrunner, Bugs, Tweety, Jerry, "scoring" and chicks, = never stealing Pikachu for the boss or other Pokémon and blasting off
    They at least take their goal seriously, and are actually funny. All TR does is...act stupid (they expect to please their boss this way? Please...)
    I, stickerstaryoshi, am now authorized to use the usertitle "We got 3D: XY!", created by user Cresselia92 and to modify it according to my desires.

    Fan of the Mario and Luigi series since 2005.

  14. #139
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Auburn University
    Posts
    207

    Default

    So TR doing interesting, competent things like spying, succeeding at theft, and getting stuff done is more "robotic" than inane, 5 year old humor and blasting off.

    Yeah, okay.

  15. #140
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    319

    Default

    The robot argument is something I'll probably never understand. BW TRio acts more like normal people than AG/DP/DA TRio do.

  16. #141
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    550

    Default

    Robots don't worry about their boss, or get disappointed that they have no more missions, etc.
    Robots DO abuse the same "jokes" over and over, however.
    I, stickerstaryoshi, am now authorized to use the usertitle "We got 3D: XY!", created by user Cresselia92 and to modify it according to my desires.

    Fan of the Mario and Luigi series since 2005.

  17. #142
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1,226

    Default

    "Robotic" seems an insult to BW TR's personality. The funny thing is, pre-BW TR, by performing the same function over and over week in and week out, fit the "robotic" bill better!

    Also, "robotic" meaning little or no personality isn't really fair, as that's a stereotype. ALOT of robot characters have full, expressive personalities and are still robots.

  18. #143
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Auburn University
    Posts
    207

    Default

    It just amazes me anyone can possibly enjoy the DP days of Team Rocket sucking up seven plus useless minutes of idiotic "We're gonna take Pikachuz LOL!" every. Single. Episode.

    And that's more enjoyable than seeing them actually DOING something constructive? I just don't understand. I'm not bashing these people or anything, it's just.. beyond me.

  19. #144
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    13,312

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Agility View Post
    It just amazes me anyone can possibly enjoy the DP days of Team Rocket sucking up seven plus useless minutes of idiotic "We're gonna take Pikachuz LOL!" every. Single. Episode.

    And that's more enjoyable than seeing them actually DOING something constructive? I just don't understand. I'm not bashing these people or anything, it's just.. beyond me.
    They even ruined some league matches or part of them, like Quilava and Snorlax match being just Snorlax smashing a pokemon because the writers wanted to show them sell candies.

  20. #145
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    3,799

    Default

    Yea, I never got either how people would call early BW TRio "robotic". It reminds me of how people that try to defend other m with samus as human in the game, and not robotic in every other game. Just because someone isn't either crying or leaping for joy screaming every second, or like giggling, doesn't mean they are a robot. If anything, ash has been the most robotic character throughout BW.
    My first shiny ever caught!

    Named Admiral Sentret

  21. #146
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    In the Dutch Mountains
    Posts
    8,788

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AgentPierce View Post
    Being super-spies, carefully plotting a large-scale theft and infiltration gambit at the same time, trying to control the weather, and generally being competent threats is interesting.

    Making the same kind of appearances, using the same kinds of jokes, and always getting blasted off in the end is not interesting. It's freaking predictable.
    Actually, they didn't get blasted off in the most recent episode.. They were trailing Ash and co, and just fell off a cliff midway the episode and weren't seen afterwards.. -.-

    Based on this.. Well, you can tell that my opinion on Da-TR isn't all that. I was surprised, that's one thing though, I'll give you that, them just disappearing from the episode wasn't predictable. I actually thought they were going to challenge Ash and co after they fixed the PokéCenter, which would've involved Zoroark blasting them off with a Night Daze, but none of that actually happened.

    Quote Originally Posted by marioluigifan05 View Post
    They at least take their goal seriously, and are actually funny. All TR does is...act stupid (they expect to please their boss this way? Please...)
    Yes, Johnny Bravo, Beavis and Butthead do take their goals of scoring chicks seriously, and they aren't mentally retarded as well - They are, we've seen the brain scans!. All of those characters are slapstick villains, which Team Rocket are as well. The only differences are slight cultural differences, which is logical considering that Pokemon is still a Japanese product.

    Quote Originally Posted by Pepsi_Plunge View Post
    They even ruined some league matches or part of them, like Quilava and Snorlax match being just Snorlax smashing a pokemon because the writers wanted to show them sell candies.
    True, but in all honesty, they stole more time in the Hoenn-league then in Sinnoh.
    Answer to all the bad things in the world: Give up on trying to make everything better. Hence, accepting it for what it is. YOLO! <- Click the link and daw.. -.-

  22. #147
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Italy, the Green Boot
    Posts
    4,186

    Default

    Oh, joy. Another Team Rocket thread transformed into a crusade against the comedic side of Team Rocket trio... :/

    Let me add my two cents. I started analyzing TR under another light (after partaking to some lessons about comedic strips) and I started thinking: TR has always acted seriously and with a goal in mind, ergo catch many powerful or rare Pokemon. I mean, through an in-universe point of view, I don't think that they made plans or built mechas just to be blasted off. They truly wanted to achieve their goal, in every episode. The problem stands in the execution of their plans, which may appear too out of the world to some people, and I agree with that.

    But let's take, for example, Goofy. He wants to do something in one episode, like... body-building, for example. Along the way, many accidents may happen, like him ending up trapped by a machine or hit by a punching bag. Does he want to be trapped or hit by his own training tools? No, but the situation itself works against him to make him appear funny and entertaining.

    Same thing happens to TRio. They want to accomplish their goal, but the situation play against them to make them funny. How funny they are is debatable, since everyone has his/her own taste. Some people find funny OS TRio, some people find funny AG TRio, some people find funny DP TRio (believe it or not!), some people find funny BW TRio. There is nothing wrong with those opinions.

    I know that this logic may appear strange or even wrong to some of you, but at least I recognize that TRio has always tried to succeed during their stay. Is that stubbornness or dedication? That's up to you to decide. To me, as long as they aren't used as plot device in every single DA (and maybe XY) episode or screen-hog too much is perfectly fine, no matter what. And, if the writers manage to find funny and interesting lines and actions to them, that don't ruin their characters too much, it would be even better.
    Last edited by Cresselia92; 28th May 2013 at 6:26 PM.
    MY MAIN FANFICS


    Super Smash Bros Clash: 6 chapters, ongoing | Pokémon Best Wishes Reloaded: 3 episodes, ongoing

    Self-made claimer of AntennaShipping {Meguri the Moogle (Original Character / Final Fantasy) x Captain Olimar (Pikmin)}
    and SteakShipping {Ness (MOTHER 2 / Earthbound) x Doremi (Ojamajo Doremi)}

  23. #148
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Kalos
    Posts
    4,740

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Agility View Post
    It just amazes me anyone can possibly enjoy the DP days of Team Rocket sucking up seven plus useless minutes of idiotic "We're gonna take Pikachuz LOL!" every. Single. Episode.

    And that's more enjoyable than seeing them actually DOING something constructive? I just don't understand. I'm not bashing these people or anything, it's just.. beyond me.
    I never thought I would see a post I agree 110% completely with. Team Rocket uselessly ate up screen time and were put in episodes that didn't really require them. At least in BW they actually had a plot were really relevant as characters for the first time since Kanto and Jouto and outside of Team Rocket centric episodes. It seems as though the writers are going back to the old Team Rocket writing formula even. For example, episodes where Nyasu gets lost with a group of Pokemon.(The only one time I really enjoyed this type of episode was back in OS with Pikachu) Episodes like the one in DP where all the Pokemon got separated in Mio City and Nyasu faked being good to steal their Pokemon, the recent Honey episode, the Battle Frontier episode rendition of this plot was at least interesting due to the acting scene. The constant Team Rocket break-up episodes to, they just feel flat. The OS version of the Kojirou marriage episode was vastly better than the one in DP, just watch them side by side and see the difference in quality and Team Rocket's entertainment value.

    In BW I think the Meteonite two-parter was going to be the most interesting TR plot, it involved a space rock that could control weather, Team Plasma, everything about that special screamed epic. The Meloetta special was great too and TR were relevant and not used as comedic fodder like in DP.(I found the Galactic multi-parter bland.) Nothing against people that like Decolora Adventures TR however, it just feels pointless, they were in the Zoroark episode and talked about wanting Pikachu but were sent packing in a matter of minutes. There presence was largely unneeded.

    My theory about Team Rocket is they'll appear in every episode except the one's focusing on Iris and Dento. I can at least hope the Ibuki and Butterfree episodes don't have them.
    Last edited by Doryuzu; 28th May 2013 at 6:26 PM.

  24. #149
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    my house
    Posts
    6,172

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Doryuzu View Post
    I never thought I would see a post I agree 110% completely with. Team Rocket uselessly ate up screen time and were put in episodes that didn't really require them. At least in BW they actually had a plot were really relevant as characters for the first time since Kanto and Jouto and outside of Team Rocket centric episodes. It seems as though the writers are going back to the old Team Rocket writing formula even. For example, episodes where Nyasu gets lost with a group of Pokemon.(The only one time I really enjoyed this type of episode was back in OS with Pikachu) Episodes like the one in DP where all the Pokemon got separated in Mio City and Nyasu faked being good to steal their Pokemon, the recent Honey episode, the Battle Frontier episode rendition of this plot was at least interesting due to the acting scene. The constant Team Rocket break-up episodes to, they just feel flat.

    In BW I think the Meteonite two-parter was going to be the most interesting TR plot, it involved a space rock that could control weather, Team Plasma, everything about that special screamed epic. The Meloetta special was great too and TR were relevant and not used as comedic fodder like in DP.(I found the Galactic multi-parter bland.)
    More to this I never actually knew how much time they took up. Like it's hard to imagine them doing the same thing for like the past HOW many episodes?? That's why I'm happy they are no longer in every single episode. I just never knew how exhausting they were. @.@


    “...This is a tricky problem, huh. I really, really want to see the other Heroes... and if it works out, I want to make friends with them! If I made friends with six Heroes, I’d be an awesome mage! We could even conquer the world!”
    -Flatt Escardos, Fate Strange Fake
    3DS Friend Code: 1306-5187-6204
    tumblr|fanfiction

  25. #150
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Kalos
    Posts
    4,740

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 00poke_maniac View Post
    More to this I never actually knew how much time they took up. Like it's hard to imagine them doing the same thing for like the past HOW many episodes?? That's why I'm happy they are no longer in every single episode. I just never knew how exhausting they were. @.@
    I mean, I don't hate them but I do have my vices and complaints about them. :P

Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •