View Poll Results: Are the old generations holding the new ones back?

Voters
54. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

18 33.33%
  • no

21 38.89%
  • maybe

15 27.78%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are the old generations holding the new ones back?

Default Are the old generations holding the new ones back?

Something I've noticed is that since gen VI began, gen 1 pokemon seem to be getting a lot more support in the games than newer pokemon. For example all of pokemon go are from gen VI. Almost half of the playable pokken tournament fighters were from gen I. In the latest Smash Bros, Greninja was the token playable gen VI pokemon, alongside four Gen I pokemon and the token gen IV they carried over from Brawl. The spinoff games in particular seem to be appealing to genwunners. Does anyone else feel like this is pandering to nostalgia?

Another example is mega evolution, of the 48 mega stones, 15 are for gen 1 pokemon, thats over a third for one of 6 generations. Hoenn also got a massive amount of mega stones, but that's probably because one of the games has a regional pokedex, and its probably old enough to count as "back in my day" for some fans. On the other hand, Gens V and VI only got one mega stone each. Shouldn't pokemon games be trying to push newer pokemon too. They're basically saying "hey, we've finally made the original starters competitively viable (we didn't think you'd care enough to mega evolve your new starters), We've also mada Kangaskhan and gengar totally broken, and there's a new rayquaza that outclasses zekrom completely. Oh and if you do an event you can mega evolve of these new pokemon I guess." Shouldn't game freak have tried to push its gen VI starters with mega evolution? Or apply the new feature to the gen V pokemon people actually liked, like Excadrill and Zoroark? Or give a leg up to ones that needed a boost like zebstraika and beartic?

Gen VII Spoilers
        Spoiler:- gen VII spoilers:
    Last edited by Aduro; 24th September 2016 at 5:04 PM.

I have been getting a sense that the Pokémon developers are starting to figure that the nostalgic old players are where their bread is buttered, and are kind of catering to them. I honestly would have liked to see new pokémon invented with the new type combinations rather than giving them to existing ones (especially considering there still isn't a pokémon that was invented as a grass/dragon type, but the combination has been added to two grass pokémon that weren't originally dragon), but it seems the developers decided they'd rather rope the older fanbase in by showing shiny cool new coats of paint for the pokémon they loved growing up. I do think that part of the way the games work is to add something to the already made pokémon in the new generations to give the games a sense of togetherness in a way. Old pokémon got shiny forms in the second generation, abilities in the third, added fairy type in the 6th and old evolution lines got new members just about every generation. Even the 5th one, which was made to feel pretty isolated from the other generations, gave old pokémon extra abilities with the dream world. I suspect the later generation pokémon may get mega forms and other new features as the generations progress, and they get older. I have a feeling mega forms were supposed to feel "extra", thus it wouldn't make sense to give the just-invented pokémon ones right off the bat. Guess that wouldn't excuse gen 5 being nearly ignored, but maybe they too were considered too fresh for it to be exciting to give them nifty upgrades.

All this said, I've got to wonder how worth it such catering is. Sure, you can try to catch the attention of nostalgic players by showing off cool new versions of charizard and mewtwo, but what worth is it to try to sell to the guys with nostalgia goggles who don't consider anything past the first generation legitimate, and probably will prefer the versions of the Kanto pokémon they grew up with rather than these fancy repackaging attempts? Then again, I've heard plenty of praise for these mega forms, so perhaps the total purists are a minority?

While I'm not sure if the old generations are holding the newer ones back to a huge extent, I've got to say there's a bit of a conflict of interest when it comes to the approach the developers want to take. Generation 5's region was designed after an American area as opposed to Japanese, and thus, the pokémon in that region were all completely different. But when gen 6 rolled around, previous generation pokémon were made obtainable despite those games taking place two continents away from Japan. There wasn't really a logical reason for this, so I can't think of any reason besides wanting to keep the older pokémon included so the people who grew up playing with them could still enjoy using them with cool new forms to boot. Pokémon's new generations are taking a more global route with their region designing, basing regions on places that aren't Japan. But if they want to do that, they'll have to either make Japanese-region pokémon inexplicably appear everywhere, or potentially lock out the players they draw. I can kind of see why old pokémon were made accessible in the most recent generations; I remember being upset at generation 3 for not making previous generation pokémon accessible by trade or otherwise. Perhaps this was common enough in players that the developers responded to it, but it comes off a bit funny for me with the precedent generation 5 set. I guess the alternate-typed forms are kind of a way of having your cake and eating it, seeing as they could be compared to creatures that are similar but with small differences within regions (though honestly, I don't understand the decision to take fire and sand pokémon of all things and retype them as ice in the closest region to the equator so far). But still, if focus goes into that, I kind of wonder if the time spent coming up with new, creative pokémon species will be taken away from.

Basically, I'd say I can understand the reason the old pokémon are getting attention, as Pokémon is a business, and this is proving a good way to get money. I do sometimes wonder if this is in conflict with the artistic side of the games, but then again, it could be considered a necessary evil to keep the games being sold, thus allowing the interesting, more original parts of new generations to be created. Time will probably tell us more when generation 7 is released.
    All fear the vampiric ghost skeletal uber mr. mime caterpie!

Thank you Megadio for the awesome banner.

Quote Originally Posted by octoboy View Post
    I have been getting a sense that the Pokémon developers are starting to figure that the nostalgic old players are where their bread is buttered, and are kind of catering to them.
    The pie chart of "making new stuff that is completely separate from Generation I" and "catering to nostalgic old tooters" is a very, very, very big slice of pie - as in most of the pie - and a very, very, very small slice, respectively.

-----
    Never underestimate the power of stupidity, of the one and of the many.
    Words to|live by

Given how long Pokemon has been around, when will gens after one become nostalgic?
    Shinies
    Search:
    Random:
    SR:
    Traded away:
    Gift:
    In-game:
    MM:
    Dexnav:
    Trade: Sylveon

Friend code: 4356-0061-9735, Redjirachi

Latest shiny: Skorupi

Quote Originally Posted by RedJirachi View Post
    Given how long Pokemon has been around, when will gens after one become nostalgic?
    At the moment gen 1-3 is considered the "nostalgia" series by many people, as those happened ages ago. DP won't take too long to join the list, probably sign of nostalgia will pop up after SM gets released

I don't think they're holding them back. For one, if it weren't for the successes of the older generations, the new generations wouldn't be around. Pokémon GO has gen 1 Pokémon because it would've taken much longer to add all 700+ Pokémon from the start, and they've basically said that they plan on adding Pokémon by generation as time goes on. It only makes sense to start from the beginning. As for Mega Evolution, yes most are either gens 1 or 3, but keep in mind that Megas were made to either give a boost to weaker Pokémon or fan service. Why give a Mega to a brand new Pokémon when you can just make a great evolution, and make a Mega later on down the line of generations?

Yes, the older gens get a lot of attention, especially lately, but they're not holding the new gens back, because the games continue to be amazing and their gameplay innovations continue to build on the foundation laid out in Pokémon in new ways that improve the overall experience.
    First and Favorite Pokémon

OMEGA RUBY TEAM (COMPLETE)

Quote Originally Posted by DrLazyEyes View Post
    At the moment gen 1-3 is considered the "nostalgia" series by many people, as those happened ages ago. DP won't take too long to join the list, probably sign of nostalgia will pop up after SM gets released
    There are people that love gen 3 as much as gen 1, Sapphire came out over a decade ago. But it doesn't have quite the same irrational 'genwunner' appeal that other generation have.

Spoiler:- More gen vii spoilers:

Also thanks to whichever mod fixed the typo in my threads title
    Last edited by Aduro; 10th August 2016 at 3:54 PM.

There will never be that same level of nostalgia for any gen after 1.

Quote Originally Posted by Aduro View Post
    There are people that love gen 3 as much as gen 1, Sapphire came out over a decade ago. But it doesn't have quite the same irrational 'genwunner' appeal that other generation have.

Spoiler:- More gen vii spoilers:

Also thanks to whichever mod fixed the typo in my threads title
    They're enabling the genwunners with this
    Shinies
    Search:
    Random:
    SR:
    Traded away:
    Gift:
    In-game:
    MM:
    Dexnav:

Just to make a quick jab here at the OP, Pokémon Go only uses the first generation for now. Niantic has already said that they would add more pokémon later on, but this is what they're starting with and that makes a hell of a lot of sense.

They're enabling the genwunners with this
    You got a problem with that?

By the way, if GameFreak gets to pick their pokémon, nothing you can do folks. Although the second amendment, people.. Maybe there is, I don't know..

I get the sentiment though. Personally, I'm not a fan of Alolan Forms, there's not a single one that I think I'd use. The typings are ridiculous, fanservice and the reasonings are convoluted at best.

Spoiler:- GenVII:

So why didn't we get Ice/Fairy Alolan Marowak instead if the one thing it would be afraid of in other regions are a few selected Grass-types?

Oh and..     Spoiler:- GenVII:
    Answer to all the bad things in the world: Give up on trying to make everything better. Hence, accepting it for what it is. YOLO! <- Click the link and daw.. -.-

"If I had my way in DP, Ash would've hit the league with: Pikachu, Ambipom (his to keep), Torterra (Grass/Starter), Lucario (Ace), Chingling (Cute), Bidoof (Water-type) and Heatran (Fire-type)."

Spoiler:- GenVII Starter names speculation:

The second line is meant to be sarcastic.. Though there was a random trainer with a Heatran at the Sinnoh League..

The nods to Gen 1 in Pokémon X and Y were a bit weird and somewhat excessive, but this time, it actually makes sense because it's the series' 20th anniversary. I don't know why they felt the need to cater to the first generation for both times though. Anyways, I don't think the old generations are holding the series back, at least not yet. I think the main reason why there were only 72 new Pokémon in Gen 6 was because GameFreak had to make hundreds of new 3D models not only for the old Pokémon, but the new ones, too. Sure they had to devote some time to Mega Evolutions, but they're mainly just alternate forms with a different coat of paint, and other generations have had them while still introducing many Pokémon. I'm going to wait until Sun and Moon are released before I make any more judgments.

Quote Originally Posted by Locormus View Post
        Spoiler:- undefined:
    Last edited by Cradily17; 16th August 2016 at 8:57 AM.
    My Pokémon Sun/Moon Team (in progress):

Friend Code: 2337-7537-0368
    Member of Team Valor

Those nods to kanto would have made at least some sense in the 20th anniversary games themselves with sun and moon but in xy were just sticking out like nothing else before and obnoxious. Literally viridian forest. Of course the gen1 starters. The path to victory road juts off from the secong main town. The bird trio. Mewtwo in a postgame cave. The first time you meet flare like rocket is in a cave where they are blocking fossils. There are even more things after this.

Just to make a quick jab here at the OP, Pokémon Go only uses the first generation for now. Niantic has already said that they would add more pokémon later on, but this is what they're starting with and that makes a hell of a lot of sense.
    Gonna disagree with you for most of this, but totally with you on this part.

You got a problem with that?

By the way, if GameFreak gets to pick their pokémon, nothing you can do folks. Although the second amendment, people.. Maybe there is, I don't know..
    I don't like genwunners because literally none of their arguments make sense. If people freely admit they like Gen 1 because of the nostalgia, then fair enough, but none of the arguments about designs being worse or Pokemon getting cuter and less fierce hold any water whatsoever.

I get the sentiment though. Personally, I'm not a fan of Alolan Forms, there's not a single one that I think I'd use. The typings are ridiculous, fanservice and the reasonings are convoluted at best.

I think I've replied to you saying a similar thing over in the Alolan Forms thread, but to reiterate: Game Freak are taking the real life premises of adaptation and evolution - which Hawaii is renowned as a biological haven for studying - and applying them to their own Pokemon.

I think it's a fantastic idea, and fulfills the dreams of people like me that used to sketch and sprite type-swaps and wonder "what if" these iconic elemental creatures were turned on their head. It also shows that GF are learning from their mistakes in Gen 5, where they tried to create replacements for a lot of classic Pokes. Tweaking existing ones to suit a new region seems to go down a lot better, because it mixes nostalgia with the new in what is apparently a pretty heady cocktail.

However, if you really hate the concept that much, then why not just consider them new Pokemon. I don't really get why you hate using new type combos for variations of existing Pokemon so much, but they have new appearances, new types, new moves, new stats, and even new heights and weights. They are new Pokemon in basically all but name.

To that end, I find Alolan Marowak to be the least annoying one. We already had Ghost/Fire, so Fire/Ghost isn't a problem, especially since Chandelure is a Special-based critter, while Alolan Marowak should still be a Physical beast. The problem though is that the reasoning still doesn't make any sense. Alolan Marowak became Fire/Ghost to resist its natural predators. Lets take a quick look. Ground is weak to Ice, Grass and Water. Throughout the generations, how many times has Marowak (or Cubone) EVER been in a habitat where it was threatened by those types? Lets take a look at a rundown:

GenI:
    - RBG: Parasect in one floor in the Cerulean Cave, plus some pokémon that are caught with a rod, and thus are in the water and Marowak isn't.
    - Yellow: In the Safari Zone, Cubone and Marowak share a few areas with Exeggcute and in one, they're even threatened by Tangela and Water types that are in the water.
    GenII: None, unless you count generic fishes on route 9 and 10.. But those are in the water and Cubone and Marowak aren't.
    GenIII: None.
    GenIV: 4, but HIGHLY convoluted.
    - DPt: Seedot OR Lotad, depending on whether you have Ruby or Sapphire inserted in your DS and there just happens to be a Cubone Swarm on Route 203. + Generic fishes.
    - HGSS: Lotad, Cacnea, Cacturne and Carnivine in the Johto Safari Zone if the appropriate blocks have been placed by the player in the Desert Area.
    GenV: None.
    GenVI: Ferroseed in the Glittering Cave.

So summing them up:
    - Parasect, Exeggcute, Tangela and Ferroseed are permant threats in selected areas in selected games.
    - Seedot or/and Lotad, and Cacnea, Cacturne and Carnivine are threats in a very, very convoluted scenarios in which the gamer needs to take influence.
    - If Cubone/Marowak stray too close to the Water's Edge, they might get targeted by anything between Magikarp, Goldeen, Poliwag, Psyduck, others and Gyarados.

Fire/Ghost is still weak to all those fishies, which are all likely present in the Alola region. It isn't weak to Ice-type attacks anymore, but it never had to fear Ice-types in non-Alolan regions. It does counter those Grass-types well now that its type has changed. But then again, can one call a Parasect, Exeggcute, Tangela or Ferroseed a "predator". Lol.

That being said Fire/Ghost is a perfect counter to Grass/Psychic, so perhaps the Exeggcute from Pokémon Yellow-Kanto are the reason for Alolan Marowak to develop differently. Alolan Exeggcutor probably isn't, since you'd have to wonder about the Ghost-type added onto it (since Alolan Exeggcutor isn't a Psychic-type), and Fire doesn't do super effective damage to the Dragon-typed Palm Tree either. It just makes very little sense when you look at it.[/Spoiler]

So why didn't we get Ice/Fairy Alolan Marowak instead if the one thing it would be afraid of in other regions are a few selected Grass-types?
    I don't understand why you've gone to all this effort, when you're just proving GF's point. Marowak is fine as a Ground-type elsewhere, because there are not very many predators that threaten it. As you helpfully pointed out, most Grass-types found anywhere near Cubone are not predators, and Water-types are almost exclusively restricted to the actual water.

However this is not the case in Alola. Real-life Hawaii, and by reflection Alola, have a lot of dense rainforest, and in general lush plantlife. We have already seen a disproportionately high number of Grass types, which reflects this. Some of these, namely Rowlet and Lurantis are clearly predatory.

Assuming Pokemon follow the rules of real-life evolution, Marowak couldn't just choose the type that best combated every threat it ever faced. It evolved Fire abilities because they were most successful in warding off the most immediate threats to its survival - the Alolan Grass-types.

Where the Ghost came from is not really explained, but because of the Cubone line's association with spirits and the afterlife (wearing of bones, and ability to manifest its spirit in RBY), and also the tying of blue-fire to spirits in Japanese lore (eg: Will-o-Wisp), I imagine it seemed like a logical addition to Marowak's awakening of Fire abilities.

Oh and..     Spoiler:- GenVII:
    A-Meowth's description clearly says that the Dark-type resulted from generations of inbreeding and pampering making it selfish and prideful. These are negative characteristics that give it affinity with the Dark-type because, in Japan, Dark is the "evil-type".

In conclusion, I think a lot of people reject GF's ideas out of hand without trying to see that they are somehow managing to give us loads of exciting new content, and keep the old fans happy. This is a pretty amazing achievement. In other words, I wholeheartedly agree with this sentiment:
    Quote Originally Posted by ECM View Post
    Yes, the older gens get a lot of attention, especially lately, but they're not holding the new gens back, because the games continue to be amazing and their gameplay innovations continue to build on the foundation laid out in Pokémon in new ways that improve the overall experience.
    Moon Team:
    | Rowlet | Vikavolt | Alolan Marowak | Oranguru | Mudsdale | Alolan Sandslash |

Palaeontologist and proud.

For your mega stone argument, I believe that each generation will have mega evolutions when their remakes hit the shelves. The only reason why Gen 1 got mega evolutions was because the order will be: Gen 1, Gen 2, Gen 3 and not Gen 6, Gen 2..etc. But I may be wrong because Gen 2 never got a chance to receive the mega evolutions. I'm basing my theory off of just X&Y and ORAS, so it may be wrong.

Also. There seems to be a misconception that GameFreak is trying to pander to Genwunners. After all, it makes no sense to pander to people who quit the series anyways. I think what GameFreak is trying to do is appeal to the true, longtime fans who have played since Gen 1 and have stuck with the series instead of treating it like a fad.

Member of Team Valor

Thing is, the Gen 1 Pokemon are probably the most iconic. The general public and casual fans of Pokemon, probably know most Pokemon from Gen 1. Pokemon like the Kanto starters, Charizard, Pikachu, Mewtwo, are more wildly know. I mean, what Gen 2-6 Pokemon is really that iconic? Maybe Lucario. People would get hyped and interested if say Charizard or Mewtwo were getting new forms, not so much if some Pokemon they never heard about from Gen 4 or 5 were getting a new form.

Gen 1 was when Pokemon was at its height of popularly.

Quote Originally Posted by Pacman View Post
    I mean, what Gen 2-6 Pokemon is really that iconic? Maybe Lucario.
    I'd say Greninja is very iconic as well, considering it ranked 1st place in that recent Japanese poll. Then again, it didn't even appear in the Super Bowl commercial or Pokken... so you're probably right.

Member of Team Valor

The newer games do have quite a few nods to the past in them, but it's far from a problem, especially compared to, say, the Sonic series. I mean, you don't see "Classic Red" coming back to adventure through Kalos alongside Calem and Serena.
    I do wish there were more Mega Evolutions for Gen V Pokémon, though. Mega Serperior? That would be epic.

When I played X and Y I did think it felt weird that they had more Gen 1 homages than any other Gen besides 2 and there were less legendaries. I think Game Freak wanted to reference Kanto a lot in Gen 6. I think it's a response to Gen 5 which was controversial because Black and White only had new Pokémon during the main game even though I loved Gen 5. Maybe Gen 7 will have less Kanto homages and more legendaries than Gen 6.

Gen 1 is getting special treatment since the 20th anniversary started with Gen I games.

Pokemon Go has all Gen I Pokemon, but future updates for more Pokemon are planned at some point.
    Pokemon R/B/Y (R/G/B/Y) were released as the very games that made Pokemon 20 years old.

I feel that this argument is neglecting many callbacks to other generations.

The salt is real here!

I think the gen 1 pokemon is holding back the other gens which explains lack of gen 5 and 6 mega evolutions and lack of non-gen 1 Alola forms.

Not the old, just Generation 1
    Shinies
    Search:
    Random:
    SR:
    Traded away:
    Gift:
    In-game:
    MM:
    Dexnav:

It is not that surprising that Gen 1 are getting more support. There are still long term fans, like me, from when the games and the anime originally started. Plus to be fair, in my opinion, Generation 1 had some of the best designs and some fan favorite Pokemon (my personal favorites are Charizard, Arcanine, Dragonite and Jolteon). Since the re-release of the Gen 1 games (LeafGreen, FireRed) the very first games have gotten more attention of course and therefore newer fans got used to the first generation as well. And I used to think that each new game would give us a new set of starter Mega Evolutions, doubt that's true but we first got Kanto starters and now Hoenn starters. Maybe with Sun and Moon Johto starter Mega's?

Also I assume the a reason that Pokemon Go only went with the first 150 Pokemon could be that it just started out, they didn't want to include to much. I mean why unleash all 700 Pokemon on Pokemon Go at once, then people start complaining that there is no new content to play... or new Pokemon to catch.

Quote Originally Posted by SebastiaanZ View Post
    It is not that surprising that Gen 1 are getting more support. There are still long term fans, like me, from when the games and the anime originally started. Plus to be fair, in my opinion, Generation 1 had some of the best designs and some fan favorite Pokemon (my personal favorites are Charizard, Arcanine, Dragonite and Jolteon). Since the re-release of the Gen 1 games (LeafGreen, FireRed) the very first games have gotten more attention of course and therefore newer fans got used to the first generation as well. And I used to think that each new game would give us a new set of starter Mega Evolutions, doubt that's true but we first got Kanto starters and now Hoenn starters. Maybe with Sun and Moon Johto starter Mega's?

Also I assume the a reason that Pokemon Go only went with the first 150 Pokemon could be that it just started out, they didn't want to include to much. I mean why unleash all 700 Pokemon on Pokemon Go at once, then people start complaining that there is no new content to play... or new Pokemon to catch.
    Go didn't just have a choice between releasing 700 pokemon and just Kanto though, they could have chosen any 150 pokemon. They could have sat a few focus groups of fans down, used sales data for merchandise or used an online poll of pokemon like the one gamefreak did in Japan after the 20th anniversary (linked below) and picked only the most popular ones (excluding most of the legendaries). In that poll Dodrio came in 700th place, Lucario came in at 15th. Which do you think deserved to be in Go? I don't even like Greninja, but 'm annoyed that its so popular but hasn't been in Go, gotten a mega, an alola form etc. Instead the kind of gen 1 pokemon that most people miss on the gen 1 sporcle quiz got places while super popular newer pokemon got left out. Smash Bros Brawl's pokeball pokemon were mixed from different generations, and it felt like they chose the ones they could have fun with. I think that's a lot healthier than Niantic being too lazy to think about their 150 or too timid to risk newer pokemon for Pokemon Go.

http://www.pokemon-movie.jp/election/

X&Y appeased genwunners somewhat well, you got kanto pokemon as your starters and they were among the first pokemon to mega evolve. But you also got other megas that were relevant to the story and in the early trailers like abomnasnow, lucario and absol. Its a shame they didn't also do that with gen VI and V pokemon, but at least they weren't going full genwunner. But pokemon Go made it clear that people are willing to pay for the nostalgia of gen 1 pokemon and now Game Freak seems to be capitalising on that with alola forms. I just hope they get the balance right for the alola forms instead of only revamping gen I pokemon.

Not the old, just Generation 1
    I'm not seeing any good arguments on this thread. All I see is an affirmative statement without any explanation.

Kalos had callbacks to Generation I, sure. Mewtwo, Kanto starter, Legendary birds. I get that. However, you could make a argument with Gen V. Many people will mention Dr. Fennel's dream world. Reshiram and Zekrom are shown in Parfum Palace. One of Zinnia's philosophies is a call back to the truth/ideal theme in the Unova region. Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire were almost the reverse of X and Y, as they complemented the other generations.

The closest I could see for "holding new games back" is if Alola formes only apply to Gen I Pokemon, but that's about it.

The salt is real here!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast