Thread: Team Induhbut (An NU Sun Team)

Default Team Induhbut (An NU Sun Team)

Team Induhbut
    An NU Sun Team

Introduction

Today, I present you with a very classy team. This team revolves around abusing the sunny weather to power up Charizard and Sawsbuck to their fullest potential. The one problem was that I don't have Ninetales to dry up the land with it's permanent Drought ability, so I am forced to set it up manually with Sunny Day. The team has had success and if I continue laddering, I will likely crack the top 100 (but I'm going to need to make better predictions). This team has a Balanced playstyle, but could lean more towards Balanced Offensive. After building the team and playing with it, I am here to present my team. I hope it will improve and become one of the best NU teams out there.

Teambuilding Process

If you read the introduction, you should know that these two were at the center of the team. In fact, they could be two of the best sweepers in not only this tier, but RU tier, too. On Charizard I packed the SubRoost set and Sawsbuck uses the SubSD. These two work well together as Sawsbuck hits physically and Charizard specially. They also cover each others weaknesses quite well.

To make the team a Sun Team I needed a Pokemon who could use Sunny Day. There is a number of good weather users such as Volbeat, Illumise, and Murkrow, but I went with Prankster Liepard. Heat Rock and Sunny Day meant a few good turns in the sun. Liepard is my dedicated lead. Even though it is normally the first Pokemon to go down, it has a terrific ability in taking down sweepers, which I'll get into in a second.

Because Charizard is one of those Pokemon who legitimately hate Stealth Rock, I needed a Spinner. There was one Pokemon who brought to the table his own hazards and his own Sunny Day. That was Torkoal. It was obvious that Wartortle was out of the question and Armaldo doesn't function as well as Torkoal in this tier in my opinion. Torkoal even comes with the ability Shell Armor and can be a defensive pivot and to an extent, can wall Pokemon without powerful super-effective moves.

The last two Pokemon added were Exeggutor and Grumpig. Instead of using Exeggutor's Special sets, I went for a defensive SubSeed set, normally seen late in the game as a last-Pokemon finisher, or early on to scout. Grumpig was just needed to be a superior Special Wall and Cleric, as this team desperately needs both these things.

Exeggutor really wasn't providing. I desperately wanted to switch him out for something better. Skuntank was a great new addition. He could help Torkoal do the whole spinning thing by trapping ghosts who normally wouldn't let it. Skuntank also brings a new physical point of view as this team's only real physical threats carried just 2 attacking moves unlike Skuntank.

It took me like 60 battles in to realize "Hey, this team couldn't give two sh!ts about status." I'm serious. Most of the time people can't land status because I have a sub up or Pokemon like Torkoal is really worth 50 cents if there are no hazards to get rid of or Stealth Rock is already up. To add more offensive perspective I added Growth Victreebel. It has been working great as it can come in on anything not looking to do considerable damage and load up on Growth.

The Team

Liepard (Cheshire) @ Heat Rock
    Trait: Prankster
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
    IVs: 31/31/31/31/31/0
    Sassy Nature (+SpD, -Spe)
    - Sunny Day
    - Thunder Wave
    - Taunt
    - U-turn

Role: Designated Lead; Sunny Day User; Paralysis Spreader; Taunter; Scout

Avg. Kills Per Game: 0.001

Liepard is my Dedicated Lead. Using her, I can keep hazards off the field with Taunt and set up a Sunny Day for my Pokemon. Later in the game I can also stop sweepers and Revenge Killers by crippling with a +1 priority Thunder Wave thanks to Prankster. Holding the Heat Rock, Sunny Day with last 3 more turns giving Sawsbuck Chlorophyll to revenge kill/sweep and Charizard the ability to tear through F#cking everything. The EV spread makes it easier for Liepard to survive a mediocre attack a U-turn. The 0 Speed IVs is more of a support plan. If Liepard went down because it couldn't land that U-turn first, it would be much better going to a Pokemon who has been weakened to be killed off.

Charizard (Blitzkrieg) @ Life Orb
    Trait: Solar Power
    EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
    Timid Nature (+Spe, -Atk)
    - Fire Blast
    - Air Slash
    - Substitute
    - Roost

Role: Special Sweeper; Wall Destroyer

Avg. Kills per Game: 1-3

Charizard is certainly a forced to be reckoned with in the blistering hot sun. Before I go on lemme just break it down for you. Fire Blast sits at a 120 base power to begin with. Adding in STAB, the Sun boost, and a Life Orb allows it to legitimately rip through every last thing. Not to mention, Air Slash happens to get a bonus from everything aforementioned but the sun. This set utilizes sitting by our plushie (Substitute) blast through everything and Roost after the Substitute+Life Orb+Solar Power damage. The EVs and nature have Charizard outspeeding what it can. Sadly Charizard's sole enemy happens to be the ubiquitous Stealth Rock. Luckily that gets taken care of by our next Pokemon.

Torkoal (Bentley) @ Heat Rock
    Trait: Shell Armor
    EVs: 148 HP / 108 Def / 252 SpD
    Calm Nature (+SpD, -Atk)
    - Lava Plume
    - Rapid Spin
    - Stealth Rock
    - Sunny Day

Role: Spinner; Hazard Setter; Sunny Day User; Defensive Pivot

Avg. Kills per Game: .75

Can you believe that there are only 3 usable rapid spinners in this tier? Thankfully, Torkoal's here. Torkoal is seen spinning away those hazards that give Charizard a headache. I like that Torkoal can spit of Lava Plume and have a 30% chance of burning the opposition which is powered up by the sun, which he, too, can set up himself. He also comes in handy by not only keeping Stealth Rock off the field, but by putting them back on again. The given EV spread is used to give him bulk and give him a sort of mixed wall feel. With the item Heat Rock, Torkoal can keep up the needed sun for an extra 3 turns. Shell Armor is finally what wraps up this set as a haxy crit won't stop Torkoal from walling.

Skuntank (Pepe le Pew) @ Life Orb
    Trait: Aftermath
    EVs: 220 HP / 252 Atk / 36 Spe
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SpA)
    - Sucker Punch
    - Pursuit
    - Poison Jab
    - Taunt

Role: Revenge Killer; Pursuit Trapper

Kills per Game: 1-3

I'm loving Skuntank. Using him has been a great decision in my eyes. The team has 3 Pokemon with just 1 attacking move (Torkoal, Liepard, Grumpig) and the other two just have two (Charizard and Sawsbuck). Skuntank, however carries 3. Using Taunt combined with 36 speed EVs allows me outspeed more Pokemon in his speed tier, which are Pokemon generally carrying support moves. Taunt also allows me to use Sucker Punch freely, or get a switch. The Life Orb has me revenge killing Sawk at around a 50% health. With good predictability, Skuntank can wreak everything. Pokemon like Haunter try to come in and stop Torkoal Rapid Spin, but little do they know I've just caught me a kill. Poison Jab could fire off a poisoning, but I don't need it with T-waves everywhere. Aftermath also allows other Pokemon to Revenge Kill for Skuntank if its been taken down.

Victreebel (Taco Bel) @ Life Orb
    Trait: Chlorophyll
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
    Modest Nature
    - Growth
    - SolarBeam
    - Weather Ball
    - Sludge Bomb

Role: Special Sweeper

Kills per Game: 1-3

Victreebel has been quite a presence for the team. Being able to to outspeed un-choiced Scolipede is terrific (as well as other un-choiced or even choiced Pokemon). Growth gives me a +2 Special Attack in the sun that's enough to take every last thing down. According to my damage calc., I should be able to OHKO Alomomola with SolarBeam after one Sun Growth. Sludge Bomb provides additional STAB and is the only way to do something to Fire types. Weather Ball becomes a Fire move and reaches 150 in the Sun.

Sawsbuck (Bambi) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Chlorophyll
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SpA)
    - Substitute
    - Swords Dance
    - Horn Leech
    - Nature Power (Earthquake)

Role: Special Sweeper; Revenge Killer

Avg. Kills per Game: 2-3

The coveted Sun-abusing physical sweeper. With a SubSD combo, under the sun Chlorophyll can sweep any team. He can also come in and beat up any weakened Pokemon because he's basically faster than everything. The spread will maximize his sweeping capabilities and an Adamant nature just boosts that Attack stat to even higher levels. Horn Leech is so amazing, as it is a STAB grass move and I get a lot of HP back. Nature Power is actually everything Earthquake is and hits Poisons and Steels among others trying to resist Horn Leech. Being that Sawsbuck is so versatile as an offensive Pokemon, I can't see this team without Sawsbuck.

Afterword

Thanks for reading my RMT. If you want to battle me, you can find me on Pokemon Showdown under the alias of "coolfacemgee". If you'd like to steal the team and use the excuse that you're just testing it out (I'm just kidding) Here is the Importable:

PHP Code:
    Liepard (M) @ Heat Rock
    Trait: Prankster
    EVs
    252 HP 4 Atk 252 SDef
    Sassy Nature 
    (+SDef, -Spd)
    Sunny Day
    Thunder Wave
    Taunt
    U-turn

Charizard 
    (M) @ Life Orb
    Trait: Solar Power
    EVs
    4 Def 252 SAtk 252 Spd
    Timid Nature 
    (+Spd, -Atk)
    Fire Blast
    Air Slash
    Substitute
    Roost

Sawsbuck 
    (Sawsbuck-Summer) (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Chlorophyll
    EVs
    252 Atk 4 SDef 252 Spd
    Adamant Nature 
    (+Atk, -SAtk)
    Swords Dance
    Substitute
    Horn Leech
    Nature Power

Torkoal 
    (M) @ Heat Rock
    Trait: Shell Armor
    EVs
    148 HP 108 Def 252 SDef
    Calm Nature 
    (+SDef, -Atk)
    Lava Plume
    Rapid Spin
    Sunny Day
    SolarBeam

Skuntank 
    (M) @ Life Orb
    Trait: Aftermath
    EVs
    220 HP 252 Atk 36 Spe
    Adamant Nature 
    (+Atk, -SAtk)
    Sucker Punch
    Pursuit
    Poison Jab
    Taunt

Victreebel 
    (M) @ Life Orb
    Trait: Chlorophyll
    EVs
    4 HP 252 SAtk 252 Spe
    Modest Nature 
    (+SAtk, -Atk)
    Growth
    SolarBeam
    Weather Ball
    Sludge Bomb 

Spoiler:- Former Teamate(s):

I would like to thank Pokemon Database for these really cool sprites.
    Last edited by HeyI'mChubby; 28th May 2013 at 6:49 PM.

Check out my RMT!

Spoiler:- Team Induhbut (An NU Sun Team):

† I am a Christian and proud of it! Copy and paste this if you are too.†

It's a great team man, The exeggutor that you use has been a good match for me, it walls nearly everything for me. But you're right about the bug attacks being a problem.

First off, I would change your charizards item to leftovers; that way, you can negate a little bit of the damage from solar power. If you really want that power though then stick with Life Orb.

For your Cleric I would actually go with Alomamola. It's an odd choice for a sun team, but it does have it's benefits. For one, Alomamola can be a functioning member if your opponent has a rain team, and it can hit pokemon on sandstorm teams hard. Second, it's incredibly bulky. You'll be hardpressed to find something that takes this thing down in one hit. and third, it has access to wish, which you can pass on to your charizard, sawsbuck and torkoal in case you need a sweeper, wall, rocks, spinner, whatever you need. A good set is:

Alomamola @ Leftovers| Impish Nature
    Trait: Regenerator
    252 HP | 252 Def | 4 Sp. Def
    Wish | Protect | Waterfall | Toxic

It is more of a physical wall (which is something you already have a good amount of), but with 165 Base HP, you'll be pretty hard pressed to find something that can take it out in one shot even with a special attack. On top of that, every time he switches out he'll gain 1/3 of his health back and with 534 Health, he will have absolutely massive wishes that will no doubt heal a bunch of your pokemon to full health. The rest of it looks great man! I like your use of Nature Power on Sawsbuck to give him EQ!

[IMG]http://oi40.*******.com/u6ic0.jpg[/IMG]
    "Scrafty: Dragon Master" Banner made by AWildMew
    "Wrath of Kangaskhan" Banner made by woegebonenick

[RMT] Scrafty: The Dragon Master
    [RMT] The Wrath of (Kangas)Khan

Quote Originally Posted by Hopkinc1 View Post
    It's a great team man, The exeggutor that you use has been a good match for me, it walls nearly everything for me. But you're right about the bug attacks being a problem.

First off, I would change your charizards item to leftovers; that way, you can negate a little bit of the damage from solar power. If you really want that power though then stick with Life Orb.

For your Cleric I would actually go with Alomamola. It's an odd choice for a sun team, but it does have it's benefits. For one, Alomamola can be a functioning member if your opponent has a rain team, and it can hit pokemon on sandstorm teams hard. Second, it's incredibly bulky. You'll be hardpressed to find something that takes this thing down in one hit. and third, it has access to wish, which you can pass on to your charizard, sawsbuck and torkoal in case you need a sweeper, wall, rocks, spinner, whatever you need. A good set is:

Alomamola @ Leftovers| Impish Nature
    Trait: Regenerator
    252 HP | 252 Def | 4 Sp. Def
    Wish | Protect | Waterfall | Toxic

It is more of a physical wall (which is something you already have a good amount of), but with 165 Base HP, you'll be pretty hard pressed to find something that can take it out in one shot even with a special attack. On top of that, every time he switches out he'll gain 1/3 of his health back and with 534 Health, he will have absolutely massive wishes that will no doubt heal a bunch of your pokemon to full health. The rest of it looks great man! I like your use of Nature Power on Sawsbuck to give him EQ!
    Thanks for being the first person to finally say something!

Although I appreciate the suggestion, I don't think I need a Pokemon Alomamola only because I don't need Toxic, because Thunder Wave is basically everywhere between Liepard and it's a lot better for taking down sweepers like Braviary who can hurt everything if it outspeeds. Waterfall is just weakened under the sun and I'd rather not have that. I'm also not too worried about other weather as their really isn't much (or at least that I've faced). I know the Exeggutor is great for you and its been pretty good for me, but lately it just can't do anything for me. I've recently switched to Skuntank to punish Spin-Blockers which has worked out wonderfully.

Check out my RMT!

Recently I've been testing out Specially Defensive Audino. It can Wish Pass and I'm using it to Toxic Stall.

Check out my RMT!

Quote Originally Posted by HeyI'mChubby View Post
    Recently I've been testing out Specially Defensive Audino. It can Wish Pass and I'm using it to Toxic Stall.
    i was thnking about the other pokemon that I was going to say you should use and it was Audino, but I couldn't think of the name haha. Audino would be great! It's practically an NU version of Blissey. Also, is your Torkoals name in reference to Sly Cooper? If so, kudos to you!
    Last edited by Hopkinc1; 28th May 2013 at 5:50 AM.

[IMG]http://oi40.*******.com/u6ic0.jpg[/IMG]
    "Scrafty: Dragon Master" Banner made by AWildMew
    "Wrath of Kangaskhan" Banner made by woegebonenick

[RMT] Scrafty: The Dragon Master
    [RMT] The Wrath of (Kangas)Khan

Quote Originally Posted by Hopkinc1 View Post
    Also, is your Torkoals name in reference to Sly Cooper? If so, kudos to you!
    Yes, yes it is.

Anyways, I've switched Grumpig to Victeerbel which has been the better option in recent history. Also, I have Heat Rock on Torkoal and LO on Skuntank.

Check out my RMT!