Thread: The Return of Accelguard! (OU Team featuring Accelgor)

Default The Return of Accelguard! (OU Team featuring Accelgor)

The Return of Accelguard!

Hello everyone, I'm CedOmega, bringing you an all new OU team. For starters, this team is unique in the sense that it was inspired by the Mighty Accelguard as seen on episode 57 of Rival Destinies. Though now old, the episode has left a lasting impression on me of Accelgor's potential power. With that, I've also studied many battle videos via YouTube where Accelgor has been used as mainly utility versus offensive. I'm moreso an offensive support trainer, so ofcourse I chose to use an attacking approach. That said, I have made some deviations from the original team, as it was meant to befit the atmosphere of RMUs(Random Match Ups). Accelgor is ofcourse the focus so the additional Pokémon are for its support and benefactor. Anywho, without further due, here is The Return of Accelguard!

Spoiler:- Accelgor:

We come to the focus of the team right off the bat. Accelgor has an amazingly underestimated offensive presence in OU and is an unexpected threat at most. With a Modest nature and a base 100 SAtk, Accelgor can hit hard with a STAB Bug Buzz and 2HKO almost anything. With its naturally weak defenses, however, I play safely in choosing when to take the risk of the opponent having priority; Mach Punch, Aqua Jet, Quick Attack, Bullet Punch, Extremespeed, etc. That said, I do tend to take risks when using Life Orb's boost to my advantage. For example, I take into account the amount of damage Accelgor can inflict versus the damage it could takebif the opponent has a priority move. Anyway, Focus Blast prevents Accelgor from being completely walled by Steel types, Giga Drain heals Accelgor's Hp while also dealing decent damage to bulky Water, Rock & Ground types, and Hidden Power [Rock] serves an important role for handling Volcarona, Salamence, and other Flying, Bug, & Fire threats. Coupled with this, Fire threats are often handled by Accelgor's partners Heatran & Latias. The team's theme is practically based around Accelgor, so ofcourse I try and find every potential opportunity to use it when in battle.

Spoiler:- Latias:

After a few test battles, Latias seemed to become a necessity for Accelgor. It replaced Cresselia on the original team as the team's Ground type immunity to aid Heatran in walling. With this, Latias makes an excellent lure for Scizor, Volcarona snd other threats who'd be easily handled by Heatran after switching in. Its set is based around taking on attacks while maintaining bulk and setting up Calm Mind. Latias has the potential to sweep all unprepared teams that lack a sufficient counter to such a set. I've considered using a more standard spread of 252 SAtk/ 252 Spd, but the loss of bulk would be missed exponentially.

Spoiler:- Heatran:

Heatran is more simply the team's setter & special wal. With its amazing walling ability and versatility, Heatran was the first partner that came to mind when brainstorming for Accelgor's team. Heatran has nothing to worry of with Latias as a partner, as she can take on and tank all Water, Ground & Fighting type attacks for him while he takes on a Ghost, Bug and Ice type attacks for her. Lava Plume & Earth Power round off Heatran's coverage against Steel, Ice and Grass types and opposing Heatran variants. Toxic is for wall breaking and Stealth Rock provides the team with hazard support.

Spoiler:- Gyarados:

Gyarados, as most already know, is a beast after s single Dragon Dance. That said, it does have a very notable Electric type weakness...which is another reason why Latias is the team's benefactor. Gyarados replaced Garchomp on the team as the teams Gliscor counter. Ofcourse, this may sound odd without an example to show how. Haha. But all in all, Gyarados is the team's physical set up sweeper. He, too, aids Heatran in fending off Fighting, Water, & Ground attacks. Waterfall & Bounce provide Gyarados a dual STAB while Bounce alone helps Gyarados regain Hp while setting up and attacking. The 30% paralysis chance is nice, too.

Spoiler:- Conkeldurr:

Accelgor really aids Conkeldurr in taking out its Psychic type counters. Such counters include Latios, Alakazam, Mew and Celebi. Celebi, however, is dealt with using Ice Punch, as well as most Dragon and Flying types. Mach Punch gives the team a sense of priority, while Drain Punch, like Accelgor's Giga Drain, inflicts a decent amount of damage when not resisted while healing itself in the process. Bulk Up turns Conkeldurr into a near monstrous attacker after a couple turns of set up.

Spoiler:- Landorus:

Basically, the team's scout and scarf user. Being able to outpace its Therian variant, Landorus was an appreciated addition to the team. That said, it was a last second decision to add Landorus, as I didn't want to add Terrakion to the team again. Landorus was also added because of his immunity to Electric attacks, which Gyarados certainly appreciates. This set is pretty standard, I think, and thus does not really need much description as it functions as any other. Haha.

So there you have it. I'll add an importable for those who wish to test the team but that will be only if requested. I look forward to any suggestions and will post results of said suggestions soon after testing. I close this in saying that I appreciate those who have taken the time to read my RMT and good day to all!
    Last edited by CedOmega; 10th June 2013 at 10:22 AM.

When in doubt, fight harder...Never accept defeat as temporary satisfaction...
    Feel the Heat
    Check out my latest RMT

I like this team, especially the use of Accelgor in OU. The one concern I have with Accelgor is that you can't really switch it out. Like you said, it's frail. The LO recoil adds to that, and Stealth Rocks will basically force it to stay in if your opponent gets them up. You have neither a spinner nor a bouncer, which you may want to look into, although I can't see what you'd remove for it. Also, I'm a bit curious as to why Gyarados is running Intimidate over Moxie. Intimidate's fine, it just seems like after it gets rolling Moxie would help it more.

That's really all I can see though, this seems like a pretty solid team.
    "Whether Castform the Weather Pokemon can weather the weather is dependent on whether the weather that it's weathering is the proper weather for it to weather. Whether the opponent can weather the weather is also subject to whether the weather that it's weathering is the right weather to weather. Whether Castform can weather the opponent is once again dictated by the weather and whether that weather is the favorable weather for weathering. But most importantly, you should know whether there will be weather to weather rather than what weather they will be weathering and whether they can weather that weather."

- Smogon's Castform analysis

Thanks for the feedback Loco1234.

Yeah, Stealth Rock can be very annoying at times, and I'm currently testing a replacement for the team that'll help deal with hazards effectively.

Gyarados has Intimidate to make setting up a Substitute more easily when facing a -1 Atk physical opponent. It also helps against an opponent who has set up too many boosts in Atk and need to be debunked a bit to allow the other Pokémon an opportunity to handle or counter it.

Thanks for the feedback though. Really. You reminded me the requirement and mandatory need for a spinner is needed for Accelgor to function well.

Feel the Heat
    Check out my latest RMT

One last bump. If anyone has any advice or suggestions for the team, I'm open to options.

Feel the Heat
    Check out my latest RMT