Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pokemon Design Misconceptions

Default Pokemon Design Misconceptions

Okay, so simple, what mistakes did you have about Pokemon designs when you first saw them.

For example, I've been playing Pokemon since Red and Blue and for all these years I thought Poliwag's mouth was its nose. All these years... and I just figured that out this year.

Quote Originally Posted by MachoCheese View Post
    Poliwag's mouth was its nose.
    Wait... That's a mouth?!

Saaatoshi!

I once mistook Misdreavus's Gen III sprite's red gems on its neck as its mouth. Until then I learned of its design and felt stupid.

Spoiler:- Credits::

- please excuse my shoddy syntax for some reason I don't know.

Okay, so simple, what mistakes did you have about Pokemon designs when you first saw them.

For example, I've been playing Pokemon since Red and Blue and for all these years I thought Poliwag's mouth was its nose. All these years... and I just figured that out this year.
    i always thought the same thing!
    and i guess one of mine was that i thought kyogre was like voltorb in that it didnt have a mouth until i traded one to collosseum and battled with it, and when i saw its mouth ope ope i was like wait, whaatt
    [CENTER]
    3DS Friend Code: 0302-0821-3128
    \

No, no, no, nO, NO, NO, NO, NOOO!

MY LIFE IS A LIE! D':
    Winner of the June shiny competition, with 15 points! (three 1/8192 shinies)

Latest shiny! (Friend Safari)

Spoiler:- Shinies:

"Strong Pokemon. Weak Pokemon. That is only the selfish perception of people. Truly skilled trainers should try to win with their favorites."
    -Elite Four Karen

Really?! 0_o How did you figure out it WASN'T its nose?!
    Last edited by Cassafrass1999; 5th June 2013 at 10:13 PM.
    Reality is a lovely place, but I wouldn't wanna live there... ~ The Real World by Owl City

Yeah, I know its hard to think of Poliwag in that way but look at Bulbapedia's image gallery of it

http://archives.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Category:Poliwag

The more pictures you see the more its recognizable as a mouth.

I checked the Bulbapedia, and sure enough, that's a mouth... Jesus... this is weirder than the theory of Diglett's nose being a mouth with a tooth in it...
    Winner of the June shiny competition, with 15 points! (three 1/8192 shinies)

Latest shiny! (Friend Safari)

Spoiler:- Shinies:

"Strong Pokemon. Weak Pokemon. That is only the selfish perception of people. Truly skilled trainers should try to win with their favorites."
    -Elite Four Karen

All the way until I got to Hoenn in the anime last year, I had thought that Hariyama had a beak. The V-Shape of the rising-sun pattern is similar to the shape of a beak. Little did I know this was its chest!

http://img.pokemondb.net/artwork/hariyama.jpg
    It's not about winning; it's the rivers you cross.

A friend of mine told me that she thought that the red dots/areas on Armaldo's head were its eyes, while the actual eyes were ears. After she told me that, I can not unsee it hehe!!
    Morjens!
    3DS FC: 3110-4257-9678

Ok, who else thought that the only way Samurott can use razor shell is with his helmet?

Another one is that I thought Gardevoir floats instead because she has no legs...I found out otherwise when I played coliseum
    FC: 1332-8918-6873
    Credit: AstralShadow (userbar) & Kida-Ookami (badge) & SwornMetalhead (symbol)

http://pad3.whstatic.com/images/thum...ald-Step-4.jpg

The way its Ruby/Sapphire sprite was configured, I always thought Nosepass' right leg was actually a protruding mouth. I thought Nosepass was just a big floating head and therefore it seemed like the freakiest frikkin thing I had ever encountered.
    I am not worried, Harry. I am with you.

^This is my new fanfic. It's a work in progress, so please read and comment at your discretion. I hope you like it. I think you will.

Many, many thanks to Mew, who created this exceptional banner!

Harry Potter and How I Met Your Mother are currently my life.

I remember thinking that Woobat's nose was it's eye, then I saw the pictures for Woobat and found out that it's eyes were just covered by it's fur.
    "If men had wings and bore black feathers, few of them would be clever enough to be crows." - Reverend Henry Ward Beecher

AC:NL Dream Address: 4800-4368-5827

Current Hunts:
    B2: BQ #4: Route 4(RE) HG: BQ #8: Slowpoke Well(RE) Plt: Piplup(SR) SS: BQ #2: Union Cave(RE) AS: BQ #4 ???(RE) OR:

Most Recent Shiny:
    OR: 4771 SRs Nickname: Void

First time I saw Probopass I thought it had two stumpy winglike arms and a tail. Then I found out about the "mini-noses". And Roggenrola... "That's a weird looking eye... Oh. That's an ear."
    Last edited by Cyberra; 5th June 2013 at 10:00 PM.

Yeah, I know its hard to think of Poliwag in that way but look at Bulbapedia's image gallery of it

http://archives.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Category:Poliwag

The more pictures you see the more its recognizable as a mouth.
    Woah...well that would make sense, hehe... ;P
    Reality is a lovely place, but I wouldn't wanna live there... ~ The Real World by Owl City

Just like the jwitzz, I thought digglets nose was a mouth. I was so very dumb.

Spoiler:- Credit + Claims:

Did anyone else think that Lilignat's petals had faces on it?
    Shiny Count: 50

Thanks Eeveelover824 for the animated banner!

Thanks Fairywitch for the button!

Wow...pretty much every single thing everyone is saying is what I thought about that certain Pokémon, or that the things you have now just told me I now will see forever since I can never "unsee" them! >.<

i thought snorlax's belly......was a huge chin.......yeeeeeeah.......i was 6 okay?

In the original Red and Blue sprites for Fearow, the way that its right wing was positioned made it look like it was part of its beak. I thought that Fearow was a toucan.

I also originally had Gardevoir's face backwards. I thought its pointed ears were actually a long nose and a pointed lip, and that it was looking up and to the right.
        Spoiler:- My Blog and Friend Codes:
    My Shinies:

Classic one, I always thought Hoothoot had only one foot.
    And I also thought Hitmontop had three feet but, in fact, he has two and a tail.
    Last edited by The Prince of May; 5th June 2013 at 11:24 PM.
    « Be the leaf... »

my deviantArt page
    my tumblr page

Quote Originally Posted by Bulba the Great! View Post
    http://pad3.whstatic.com/images/thum...ald-Step-4.jpg

The way its Ruby/Sapphire sprite was configured, I always thought Nosepass' right leg was actually a protruding mouth. I thought Nosepass was just a big floating head and therefore it seemed like the freakiest frikkin thing I had ever encountered.
    Yes! I thought that was so weird until I saw it in gen 4.
    #AlphaSapphire
    I am one of Jehovah's Witnesses.
    If you have a question about my religion, or wish to discuss my religion, the Bible, or anything related to this topic, feel free to PM or VM me, take a look at the information in my profile or visit our official website.

Quote Originally Posted by Papousse View Post
    Classic one, I always thought Hoothoot had only one foot.
    And I also thought Hitmontop had three feet but, in fact, he has two and a tail.
    Wait, WHAT O_O!? Hoothoot has two feet!?
    Latest Shiny!
    Obtained 12/9/14
    Total Shinies: 260

Currently Hunting:
    Omega Ruby: Torchic. (SR)
    Pokemon X: Ralts. (MM)

Quote Originally Posted by City Of Delusion View Post
    See ! I knew I wouldn't be the only one !
    Eh, yes, I was shocked too. Hoothoot has two feet, take a look here.
    And here's the Gold and Heart Gold Pokédex entry for Hoothoot...
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoothoot
    It always stands on one foot. It changes feet so fast, the movement can rarely be seen.
    Last edited by The Prince of May; 5th June 2013 at 11:59 PM.
    « Be the leaf... »

my deviantArt page
    my tumblr page

Quote Originally Posted by City Of Delusion View Post
    Yeah, I think this can be seen in Hoothoot's 3D model on Stadium 2 onwards. If you look closely, I believe you can see it's foot switch between each hop.

One from me, in 3rd Gen, I thought that Milotic's eyes were presented as almost sorrowful, but then I saw closely that the white dot wasn't there for effect, and that the dot was actually its pupil. It's a lot more evident in its other sprites, but it's 3rd Gen sprite is misleading.
    AC Dream Address: 4300 2225 3013 // Secret Base Teams // Most Recent Shiny: Regirock

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast