Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pokemon Design Misconceptions

For the time being, I haven't had any mistake with Pokemon designs.

Quote Originally Posted by MachoCheese View Post
    Okay, so simple, what mistakes did you have about Pokemon designs when you first saw them.

For example, I've been playing Pokemon since Red and Blue and for all these years I thought Poliwag's mouth was its nose. All these years... and I just figured that out this year.
    The anime as well as the sprites has shown clearly that Poliwag has a mounth.

Quote Originally Posted by Papousse View Post
    Classic one, I always thought Hoothoot had only one foot.
    And I also thought Hitmontop had three feet but, in fact, he has two and a tail.
    About Hoothoot, in Pokemon Stadium 2 it really seems it has just one feet, but in all the other games you can see it has two.
    Last edited by Pogaymon; 5th June 2013 at 11:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mystical Jackal View Post
    About Hoothoot, in Pokemon Stadium 2 it really seems it has just one feet, but in all the other games you can see it has two.
    This video says otherwise.

Also, I admit to the whole 3rd Gen sprite with Nosepass as well. Though if you first see Nosepass in R/S, I doubt many people will think that's its foot and not a mouth. Colosseum quickly changed that for me.
    AC Dream Address: 4300 2225 3013 // Secret Base Teams // Most Recent Shiny: Reshiram and Palkia

i also thought poliwag's mouth was a nose, and misdreavous' necklace was a mouth. and the remoraid on mantine was just for decoration, and not even a pokemon
    Thanks to FairyWitch for the profile pic!

† I am a Christian, and not ashamed to admit it! Copy and paste this if you are too.†

National Dex Completed 2/13/2014, at 12:12 A.M., with 212:16 Game Time, and thanks to my friends who traded me over 200 times that week

I thought Duskinor's markings on the front was for show. I didn't know it was a mouth.
    Shiny Count: 50

Thanks Eeveelover824 for the animated banner!

Thanks Fairywitch for the button!

I aways thought Duskull had two eyes. Then I found out it has only one eye that moves back and forth in its face mask. Creeepy.....

I thought:
    Magcargo's little dangly mouth things were its arms
    Gardevoir's R/S sprite showed that the little horn like appendages on the side of its face were its mouth and nose. As such, I never wanted it b/c I thought it was the ugliest pokemon ever XD Glad to know that I'm wrong
    Hoothoot had only one leg

I once had a friend who believe that Roselia evolved into Gulpin b/c they were side by side in the dex order *facepalm*
    † I am a Christian and proud of it! Copy and paste this if you are too.†

Credit goes to FairyWitch at Flower Paradise Graphics

Fanfic Status: Currently postponed-- Kingdom Hearts: Memories' Reflection. Last updated 8/17/13

Alright, Cradily. I always thought those spots on its head were the eyes, and the black part was the mouth. but apparently the black part is actually the eyes.

Credit to cloneydew2000 for the sprites.

Quote Originally Posted by Cometstarlight View Post
    I once had a friend who believe that Roselia evolved into Gulpin b/c they were side by side in the dex order *facepalm*
    For the longest time, I thought evolved into because they were side by side in the dex too. I know the feels

I also thought Dusknoir's face was the appendage on top, never the face on it's stomach....
    - National Pokedex Completion Date- 3/12/13 (Thanks EpiK SauCe!)

FC: 5129-0492-5213

LOOKING FOR: Modest, 4/5 IV from Alpha Sapphire
    PM me for offers!! PLEASE!!

....wait what?

The first time I see Poliwag, I immediately see the red part as its mouth, not a nose.....

Quote Originally Posted by Dingo282 View Post
    Alright, Cradily. I always thought those spots on its head were the eyes, and the black part was the mouth. but apparently the black part is actually the eyes.
    Yeah, I had the same mistake as well. Lileep too, since it has the same "eye spots" and black "mouth" in its design, due to being its pre-evo.

Speaking of "eye spots", due to the R/S sprite, I once thought Masquerain's upper wings are its eyes, and its actual eyes are fangs on a mouth ._.

My shinies. Just click the links~

~Shiny Banner 1~
    ~Shiny Banner 2~
    ~Shiny Banner 3~

My shinies are not for trade or cloning.
    Shinies are not listed in order, for example the last shiny on the banner is not always the latest shiny I've obtained.
    Banner 1 made by Light Venusaur, thanks ^_^

Default Marowak mysteries

I know one: MissingNo was supposedly an "created" when the developers decided to make it that Marowak did NOT evolve into Kangaskan however its not true their is so many reasons why.

Quote Originally Posted by City Of Delusion View Post
    Wait, WHAT O_O!? Hoothoot has two feet!?
    Wait; what-
    http://cdn.unrealitymag.com/wp-conte...ing_head_3.jpg
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...s_20072007.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by noahj2001 View Post
    I know one: MissingNo was supposedly an "created" when the developers decided to make it that Marowak did NOT evolve into Kangaskan however its not true their is so many reasons why.
    It's one of several big theories, so it's really not true or false.

And I just looked up Hoothoot... in the anime pictures you can clearly see that it has two legs, but the official artwork by Ken Sugimori is seriously misleading. 0_0
    Winner of the June shiny competition, with 15 points! (three 1/8192 shinies)

Latest shiny! (Friend Safari)

Spoiler:- Shinies:

"Strong Pokemon. Weak Pokemon. That is only the selfish perception of people. Truly skilled trainers should try to win with their favorites."
    -Elite Four Karen

Quote Originally Posted by Acdog View Post
    All the way until I got to Hoenn in the anime last year, I had thought that Hariyama had a beak. The V-Shape of the rising-sun pattern is similar to the shape of a beak. Little did I know this was its chest!

http://img.pokemondb.net/artwork/hariyama.jpg
    I was under a similar delusion, from it's Sapphire sprite I thought that triangle was it's nose.

http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-rs/297.shtml
    Blog: Problematic Paranormal Files | Twitter: @CleverKraken

(Psssssttt... hey, you, yah you, HOLIDAYS2014 - gets you 10% off $15+ in my shop ^ )

Merry Christmas, Happy Chanukah, and/or Joyous Kwanzaa!
    (Or whatever else you may celebrate.)

Quote Originally Posted by Bulba the Great! View Post
    http://pad3.whstatic.com/images/thum...ald-Step-4.jpg

The way its Ruby/Sapphire sprite was configured, I always thought Nosepass' right leg was actually a protruding mouth. I thought Nosepass was just a big floating head and therefore it seemed like the freakiest frikkin thing I had ever encountered.
    It still is pretty freaky, considering.
    Check out my band's new EP! ... And like us on Facebook while you're at it!
    [IMG]http://oi49.*******.com/21mzpmr.jpg[/IMG]
    Hat by wolfy.

When I caught Latios and Latias, I noticed that the triangles on their bodies look pretty similar to the ones on Togepi. So, what did my little mind think? I put Latias and Latios in the daycare, waiting for a Togepi egg. Yeah..... it never happened.
    Latest Shiny (11/27/14)
    Obtained via: Soft Reset
    X: 2723-9673-8419
    FS:

Quote Originally Posted by MachoCheese View Post
    Okay, so simple, what mistakes did you have about Pokemon designs when you first saw them.

For example, I've been playing Pokemon since Red and Blue and for all these years I thought Poliwag's mouth was its nose. All these years... and I just figured that out this year.
    Probably didn't help that a few how-to-draw books called poliwag's mouth a nose. I personally always knew it was a mouth though. Those drawing books did mislead me in other ways, probably the most extreme being the books' leading me to believe that zubat's ears were actually big, bulging eyes. I'm also still a little undecided on what the deal with pikachu's eyes are. Are the white bits supposed to be highlights, or does pikachu actually have inverted eyes with black whites and white pupils as one drawing book and one moment in Ash Catches A Pokémon suggest?

Speaking of Pokémon Ash caught, this thread can't be complete without the one major contender for confusing designs: metapod.

Which side is the front exactly? Is the pointy part supposed to be a nose? Or is it supposed to be a horn in the back of its head? Or are there two of those things and are they claws? And why can't even official drawings agree about this?

Probably doesn't help that chrysalis don't exactly have faces in the first place, so it isn't exactly simple to picture one with a face.
    All fear the vampiric ghost skeletal uber mr. mime caterpie!

Thank you Megadio for the awesome banner.

Cradily. I thought the eyes were the spots, but then the white ball was its tongue, in one of the shots

http://archives.bulbagarden.net/medi...46-Cradily.jpg

It looked like the black stuff were the mouth, and the white stuff is the tongue, and then the eyes. What a deceiving Pokemon.

Credits to Sworn Metalhead

ASB Squad

Yeah I've been playing for six years now and I always thought it was Poliwag's nose as well. I thought it was cute, cause I was all like "aww look at that tadpole with a nose and no mouth" and now I know.. I think it's ugly XD.
    ~RaichuArcanine~
    Last edited by RaichuArcanine; 6th June 2013 at 8:53 AM.

My Shiny Card
    White BQ:
    Hunting: <-OR

Quote Originally Posted by Shine View Post
    ....wait what?

The first time I see Poliwag, I immediately see the red part as its mouth, not a nose.....
    Yeah, I don't get how so many people thought it was a nose. The line in the middle makes it obvious that it is in fact it's lips/mouth. I can't even find a picture where it looks even remotely like a nose, but everyone sees things differently I guess. On a further note, perhaps this confusion arose because Poliwhirl and Poliwrath have no mouth, so it looks like the spiral thingy on their belly is their mouth, so perhaps people assumed the same with Poliwag. Despite looking like their mouth, I don't think the spiral thing is actually their mouth. I'd assume it'd look something like this: http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs70/f/20...sanger-d5c60cw.

We'll never know for sure though.

As for my own response to this thread, when I first saw this sprite of Wailmer http://guidesmedia.ign.com/guides/05...kemans_320.gif I couldn't tell which dots were it's eyes. It looked like the top two were it's eyes, and the bottom two, it's nostrils. Turns out the bottom two are it's eyes however (which I was glad to find out, as it looked retarded the other way).
    Quote Originally Posted by Ethan
    During your experience at SPPf, there is unfortunatley no protection or clause that states "Mods shall not be bitchy."
    That's right... I AM KIRA

3DS Friend code: 3351 4126 2678
    PM me your code if you add mine. Mainly up for Mario Kart 7 but don't mind other suggested games if I have them!

Anything with misleading eyes, Armaldo and Cradily in particular. 3D models fix everything (hooray for X and Y) because I noticed it in Battle Revolution (hate the last round of the Masters Battles) as well as Kabuto in Stadium. I also use to think that Gardevoir had no legs but 3D models fixed that. Lotad's bill was a nose (I was partially right) while Lombre's bill was a lip. Also used to think Banette's zipper was a tooth, then a bar used for a marionette, and then thanks to cartoon this time, I found out it was a zipper. I still like the idea of a bar better, a puppet getting stabbed in the back of its head with one of its own bars. Gruesome. Nosepass also looked round to me until I saw it in the cartoon where I was confused. So many examples from generation 3, why? Probably because I stopped watching the show as much and didn't buy the 3D games for the Gamecube.

Hooray for 3D models in 3D!
    Last edited by ParaChomp; 6th June 2013 at 11:00 AM. Reason: 3D!
        Spoiler:- 3DS friend-code:

I had one about Hydreigon. Though, I don't think that is my mistake, but rather mistake on everyone that interprets Hydreigon's pictures and sprites though general aesthetic sense.

Everyone and every website I visited said Hydreigon's "legs" are shortened or atrophied or degenerated through the evolution process. For me personally, those might look like "legs" by first glance, but it is really not legs, but rather feels like protruding "fur" to me. One proof is that for every animating sprites you can find on games, and all Hydreigons introduced in anime, their "legs" never move.

That is something like Espeon's fur protruding beneath its ear, where I believe someone may had mistake Espeon had two pairs of ears before.
    "人には知らない世界はそこに存在する、そして人には知らない冒険はそこに始まってる"
    Chapter 1: 謎の世界の生き物、闘うトレーナーたち

When I first got Ruby, I didn't realize Gardevoir's sprite and Sugimori art had it looking to the right. I always saw it looking to the left (and thus that the pointy thing on the left of its face was its little pointy nose). And a lot of people mentioned this one, so I'm going to mention something new: Am I the only one that thought Gastrodon had three eyes? In the anime at least, it seems to have two eyes and its middle "eye" is just an eye-like mark, since during Paul's battle against Ash, it faints and only the two outer eyes turn swirly.

Quote Originally Posted by OceanicLanturn View Post
    Cradily. I thought the eyes were the spots, but then the white ball was its tongue, in one of the shots

http://archives.bulbagarden.net/medi...46-Cradily.jpg

It looked like the black stuff were the mouth, and the white stuff is the tongue, and then the eyes. What a deceiving Pokemon.
    I also thought of Cradily that way as well. Really, its head really confuses me.

Spoiler:- Credits::

- please excuse my shoddy syntax for some reason I don't know.

Always knew Poliwag has a mouth so since that's covered for me, I think Mawile's and Excadrill's designs got me a bit confused. I used to think that Mawile's 'jaws' was actually its mouth from the front view while fro Excadrill; when it first came out, I used to think the red diamond-shaped spots was his eyes and the drill was his mouth.O__o I didn't realized that underneath the drill was his face.^^;

Quote Originally Posted by octoboy View Post
    Probably didn't help that a few how-to-draw books called poliwag's mouth a nose. I personally always knew it was a mouth though. Those drawing books did mislead me in other ways, probably the most extreme being the books' leading me to believe that zubat's ears were actually big, bulging eyes. I'm also still a little undecided on what the deal with pikachu's eyes are. Are the white bits supposed to be highlights, or does pikachu actually have inverted eyes with black whites and white pupils as one drawing book and one moment in Ash Catches A Pokémon suggest?

Speaking of Pokémon Ash caught, this thread can't be complete without the one major contender for confusing designs: metapod.

Which side is the front exactly? Is the pointy part supposed to be a nose? Or is it supposed to be a horn in the back of its head? Or are there two of those things and are they claws? And why can't even official drawings agree about this?

Probably doesn't help that chrysalis don't exactly have faces in the first place, so it isn't exactly simple to picture one with a face.
    Yah I remember seeing some Pokemon products w/ Pikachu having black pupils and all around white eyes, it did creeped me out a a kid,:/ and lol yes Metapod, I too get confused on what it was supposed to look.>.<

Quote Originally Posted by CAH View Post
    Yeah, I don't get how so many people thought it was a nose. The line in the middle makes it obvious that it is in fact it's lips/mouth. I can't even find a picture where it looks even remotely like a nose, but everyone sees things differently I guess. On a further note, perhaps this confusion arose because Poliwhirl and Poliwrath have no mouth, so it looks like the spiral thingy on their belly is their mouth, so perhaps people assumed the same with Poliwag. Despite looking like their mouth, I don't think the spiral thing is actually their mouth.

We'll never know for sure though.
    Actually, there are a few dex entries which state the polis' spirals are intestines seen through transparent skin. Apparently there are real tadpoles which look like that.

I can partially understand why some would consider the evolved forms' spirals mouths, as in the anime, they appear to send water gun from their spirals, but in that case, those people must've missed all the episodes with poliwag in them, because poliwag pretty clearly sprays water gun from its mouth. Unless those people assumed poliwag was snorting water out.

Quote Originally Posted by ParaChomp View Post
    Lotad's bill was a nose (I was partially right) while Lombre's bill was a lip.
    I used to think lombre had a red lip too. I remember ludicolo being the only member of that line that looked ducklike to me.

Speaking of bills, magmar confuses me, even now. I've heard a lot of people say magmar looked like a bird to them, and that honestly confused me because I always saw magmar as having yellow lips. I don't even know who was right now.

Dustox is also kind of ambiguous. I originally thought it was supposed to have compound eyes, but I think bulbapedia (or maybe a page of wikipedia) said that it was meant to have three pupils in each eye. I'm not sure which of those are right.

Another one is jynx. I thought the black faced version of jynx was supposed to have its face hidden in the shadows with only its eyes and mouth showing, kind of like how tangela's face just looks like eyes in the shadows. It honestly confused me when people compared jynx to blackface.
    All fear the vampiric ghost skeletal uber mr. mime caterpie!

Thank you Megadio for the awesome banner.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast