Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Pokemon Design Misconceptions

Due to the way it was positioned in some of its earlier artwork, I thought the fin on Kingdra's face was its tongue sticking out of its mouth. Doesn't look so derpy anymore now that I know better.

I'm also guilty of the common Cradily and Gardevoir misconceptions. Thank goodness for Colosseum, or I'd still be thinking Gardevoir had a really pointy nose.

Friend Safari - Bug with Butterfree/Volbeat/Vivillon - PM me for my FC!
        Spoiler:- Shiny hunting stuff:

who else thought that this guy's ears we're his "eyes"

http://www.pokemonxy.com/_ui/img/_en...new_p16_01.jpg
    May the odds be EVER in your favor
    Credit to Eeveelover824 for this sig and credit to RondezView for the pink pikachu
    If you are a true Swiftie (a Taylor Swift fan) like me and not scared to show it, "Drop Everything Now" and copy and paste in your signature.

I always thought Ivysaur could fly like a helicopter
    [IMG]http://i44.*******.com/2qtdg79.jpg[/IMG]
    LIKE/REBLOG!
    http://zomgzeus.tumblr.com/post/52642195149/when-i-was-little-i-really-wanted-to-be-10-like

Quote Originally Posted by Liz Azzimagica View Post

I did. ._.; This isn't the only time I've failed like this though. Back when I first saw Zubat in the anime, I thought its ears were its eyes too...

tumblr
    - i've claimed zelos wilder, xerneas, and tales of the abyss
    Omega Ruby team:

I fell for it as well. Had it been coloured differently, no confusion would've taken place.

Spoiler:- Credits::

- please excuse my shoddy syntax for some reason I don't know.

When I first saw the Hoenn Starter Pokemon (on a bookmark at my elementary school), a lot of my friends thought that Treecko's pink belly and lower jaw was a large tongue.

Quote Originally Posted by zomgzeus View Post
    I always thought Ivysaur could fly like a helicopter
    I thought similar things about chikorita after seeing a screenshot of the anime where it was whirling its leaf around while launching razor leaf.
    All fear the vampiric ghost skeletal uber mr. mime caterpie!

Thank you Megadio for the awesome banner.

The first time I saw Ho-Oh's design before Gold/Silver's release was in a French magazine. It was likely this image, but in black and white. I remember thinking the red of its head was actually the beak, and the eye was its open mouth. I just failed to notice the real beak. Oops.

Also I totally thought the same thing about Noivern. I'm guessing its Pokedex entry will say that this is to scare enemies, like the markings of Arbok's hood.

~Psychic

I thought that Furabebe and it's flower were all one being, not Furabebe just protecting it!

And I thought that Empoleon had no mouth 0_o

I always thought the horny protrusion on Metapod's Yellow sprite was it's nose.
    http://images6.fanpop.com/image/poll...12550_full.jpg

I also thought Poliwag's nose was it's mouth, & Hoothoot only had one foot.
    X FC: 0533-5528-5272

Friend Safari: Fighting, Pancham/Machoke/Riolu

RMT Trick Room Singles

I have a friend who is convinced that Charizard is based off a (and I quote) 'modified giraffe'.

I used to think that Nosepass had a singular foot.
    Mind you, this was before there were animated sprites, so my 7-year old self could easily misinterpret the unmoving protrusion as a foot and not a hand.
    We all make mistakes, but the biggest one we can make is not learning from them.

I used to think that Flygon had big red fly eyes.
    (template from Jerkfighter)

I'm either very attentive, or very unimaginative. I've never had one of these moments. well actually, sigilyph confuzzles me

Looking through this thread, I learned some things about Pokemon designs that I never knew about before. I had always thought Delibird's tail was a sack it carried, and that the marks om Lileep/Cradily's heads were their eyes. I thought the actual eyes of Cradily were its teeth, with the black background being its mouth. Learning its actual design made Cradily 33% cooler to me.

As for misconceptions of my own, I used to think Crobat's second pair of wings were its legs due to how it was displayed in some early sprites and artwork. I also used to think that Skorupi's eyes were the small claws it has under its actual eyes.

And this, too. I started to like the design of this guy much better when I realized that those big things weren't its eyes.

I've fallen victim to mistaking Lileep and Cradily's markings for their eyes and doing the same with Noivern's ears. Took me forever to figure out the former wasn't right, but the latter became apparent once I got a good look at its art.

Otherwise, I always thought Palpitoad had really big lips that made it look rather ugly in its little tiny B/W sprite. However, I discovered that this was not the case upon seeing its official art and now it looks a good deal cuter.

I'm sure there are other cases, but I don't remember them off the top of my head right now...

Current mono-type: TFL, Round 4
    Game: Black 2 (6/8)

Regions cleared: Johto | Hoenn | Sinnoh | Unova | (More? Let's finish these first~)

Wow, why is there so many people mistaking Noivern's ears for eyes?

Quote Originally Posted by Winter02 View Post
    As for misconceptions of my own, I used to think Crobat's second pair of wings were its legs due to how it was displayed in some early sprites and artwork.
    Yeah, it doesn't help that one of its early Dex entry incorrectly states that its second pair of wings are legs transformed into wings.

My shinies. Just click the links~

~Shiny Banner 1~
    ~Shiny Banner 2~
    ~Shiny Banner 3~

My shinies are not for trade or cloning.
    Shinies are not listed in order, for example the last shiny on the banner is not always the latest shiny I've obtained.
    Banner 1 made by Light Venusaur, thanks ^_^

Agreed on Metapod and Lilleep and Cradily.... That's about it.

Yeah, I was wondering why it had big concave eyes. Then I saw another angle where the eyes were more apparent and realize it had bat ears, 'Oh, it's a bat, not a dragon.'
    Blog: Problematic Paranormal Files | Twitter: @CleverKraken

(Psssssttt... hey, you, yah you, HOLIDAYS2014 - gets you 10% off $15+ in my shop ^ )

Merry Christmas, Happy Chanukah, and/or Joyous Kwanzaa!
    (Or whatever else you may celebrate.)

Quote Originally Posted by Shine View Post
    Wow, why is there so many people mistaking Noivern's ears for eyes?
    Because the real eyes aren't easy to see at first glance, and it has these huge green things on its head. I thought its ears were eyes, too, at first. I still catch myself thinking that even though I know otherwise.

I remember back in the early days finding the way pokémons' whiskers look very confusing. It took me a while to register the very thick-looking whiskers like every pokémon with whiskers had in the 1st gen (and I think maybe until the 4th gen) as whiskers. Meowth was particularly confusing, probably because it doesn't really have whiskers where you see them on a cat. The first time I saw meowth, I thought it looked like some bizarre cat/sea anemone hybrid.

Another thing I thought of for this thread was lucario. I'd say I used to think it looked like it had pants on, but I won't, because I still can't see those big blue things on its legs as anything but baggy trunks. Look at this picture and try to un-see that (it's the second one with lucario)
    All fear the vampiric ghost skeletal uber mr. mime caterpie!

Thank you Megadio for the awesome banner.

I literally just learned that Hoothoot have two feet.... wow.
    [IMG]http://i40.*******.com/fjgfat.jpg[/IMG]
    ~~ Pokémon X and Y , the new generation...~~
    On the hunt for my first X&Y shiny! (and my first RE maybe.. >.<)
    Y Team: Delphox, Blastoise, Sylveon, Aurorus, Dragalge, Yveltal
    X Team: Greninja, Charmeleon, Pikachu, Eevee (Espeon/Leafeon)

[Thanks to Equal-to-Heaven for the Yveltal clock!]
    [IMG]http://i40.*******.com/vy4jgi.jpg[/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by octoboy View Post
    I remember back in the early days finding the way pokémons' whiskers look very confusing. It took me a while to register the very thick-looking whiskers like every pokémon with whiskers had in the 1st gen (and I think maybe until the 4th gen) as whiskers. Meowth was particularly confusing, probably because it doesn't really have whiskers where you see them on a cat. The first time I saw meowth, I thought it looked like some bizarre cat/sea anemone hybrid.

Another thing I thought of for this thread was lucario. I'd say I used to think it looked like it had pants on, but I won't, because I still can't see those big blue things on its legs as anything but baggy trunks. Look at this picture and try to un-see that (it's the second one with lucario)

Cannot be unseen, dude. Nice.

Credit to cloneydew2000 for the sprites.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234