Thread: Community POTW #128

Default Community POTW #128

Time for the next Pokémon of the Week, and this one is a bit ghoulish!

It's Banette, the adorable and terrifying Ghost-type Pokémon. Since the release of its Hidden Ability, it has seen more use

http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-bw/354.shtml

Go nuts

Ability: Cursed Body
    Item: Leftovers
    Moves: Will-O-Wisp, Hex, Toxic, Sucker Punch
        Spoiler:- Favourite Pokemon:

Wow, Banette definitely isn't the No. 1 Choice for NU Ghost types, since its stats aren't very good. But oh well...

Draw me like one of your French ghouls
    Banette @ Leftovers
    Trait: Cursed body
    EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 Atk
    Impish Nature
    - Will-o-Wisp
    - Shadow Claw
    - Pursuit / Sucker Punch / Knock Off / Thunder Wave / Toxic / Pain Spit
    - Pursuit / Sucker Punch / Knock Off / Thunder Wave / Toxic / Pain Spit

Although Banette isn't one of the best Pokemon for this job, this is just a random creativity set I thought up of. Banette can try and make use of this set to wall physical attacks. Yes, it's not the best Pokemon to do it, but com'on. The only 'viable' set according to Smogon is Suicide Lead for TR. Let's be a little creative here. This set capitalises on tanking physical hits. First, Will-o-Wisp will halve the foe's attack. Then use Shadow Claw. Now. You can decide whatever you want to do with the last two slot. Pursuit and Sucker Punch allows this poor little thing to hit normal types. Knock Off can knock off Eivolites. Thunder Wave and Toxic are interesting options to cripple a Pokemon that probably would prefer a Paralysis / Toxic over Burn. Pain Split is used to heal.

Btw random Calcs:
    252+ Atk Choice Band Sawk Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Banette: 164-194 (49.39 - 58.43%) -- 69.53% chance to 2HKO

Okay now go and use Banette (honestly just use Alolmonola instead)
    Last edited by OceanicLanturn; 9th June 2013 at 1:23 PM.

Credits to Sworn Metalhead

ASB Squad

Banette is definitely a very underwhelming Ghost because sans its Attack stat, it's slow and frail verbatim. Cotton Guard is unique but it's not really worthy of use other than maybe a support set, so onto counters:

Steels generally wall the puppet, namely Probopass and friends while just hitting it on the Special side takes it down as well like Haunter (be careful of Sucker Punch) though he is more of a revenge killer instead. Honestly it's a cool concept and design, it's just outclassed from the likes of Golurk personally.

Poor Banette. Despite having a respectable base 115 attack, it was cursed with having crappy 64/65/63 defenses, and poor base 65 speed. Being both slow and frail makes Banette a bottom of the barrel Pokemon even by NU standards. As a physical attacking ghost, it is completely outclassed by Golurk, who is both stronger and bulkier, and has a nasty STAB Earthquake up its sleeve. As a result, Banette has no choice but to resort to a gimmick set to have any kind of niche. And here we have the "standard" Suicide Lead.

Banette @ Focus Sash
    Brave Nature
    Cursed Body
    EVs: 252 Attack
    -Trick Room
    -Destiny Bond
    -Taunt
    -Shadow Claw

Yes, it's Smogon's "cookie cutter" set, but hey, this is just to look at it for a holistic analysis. And let me just say; this set sucks. It really does. Your basic premise is obvious; set up trick room on the first turn. Let the focus sash get you down to 1 HP. Your now-Trick Roomed speed might let you go first on the second turn. Destiny Bond. ??? Profit. Have your Trick Room sweeper follow Banette to take advantage of the inverted dimensions. Taunt and Shadow Claw are there for prevent being setup bait and taunt bait, respectively. In a sense it's a similar strategy to the age old FEAR gimmick.

However, this set has a few key glaring flaws; sacrificing your Trick Room user (or one of them) is never a reliable strategy. Plus, after Banette goes down, you only have three turns of Trick Room left to use; hardly enough to sweep a whole team. In addition, many slower and more powerful Pokemon lurk in the tier, who would love to have Trick Room up for them. Entry hazards ruin a Suicide strategy, so it forces Banette to be a lead if it wants to use this set, making it predictable. Furthermore, if you Toxic or Burn it, it's as good as screwed.

Honestly? Don't use Banette. Golurk's a better physical attacker, and Drifblim and Misdreavus outclass it as well. Heck, it also has to deal with competition from Haunter and Lampent. There are just too many better ghosts than Banette, whose stats aren't so flawed.
    I make no claim of being perfect or always right. Take everything I say with a grain of salt.

If you're gonna reject both at a time, Serebii, I will choose between jokes and movesets, but only one thing, let's see if that works.

Jokes:
    -If you don't follow the rules, you'll get a Ban-ette.
    -"I won't forgive Game Freak, they give Dusclops an evo and for me what?" (no, seriously, they used to be counterparts until Gen IV brought Dusknoir)
    (I can't seem to make one for Shuppet)

Adamant
    EV's 252 Attack, 252 HP, 4 Def
    Cursed Body
    Focus Sash
    Shadow Sneak
    Pain Split / Destiny Bond
    Ice Punch
    Shadow Claw / Trick Room

I'm not used to it so I don't have the slightest idea how to use it XP

3DS XL FC for Pokemon Y 2595-0724-5772 IGN SmeargleRocks
    Shiny Number 1268

I can offer gen6 cloning services, I will only clone what I don't have as glitch cloning can take awhile and be stressful

Self caught shinies on Y 24
    first successfull (and accidental) MM Shelmet timid 31/1/19/31/31/31 4:25 pm EST 4/14/14
    Shiny XD Gale of Darkness Zubat caught September 17th 2012 @ 4:24 pm EST cave PokeSpot

FUC* ALL HACKERS!!!
    ALL Gen6 6IV Event pokemon are hacked

Banette is a curious pokémon. It has great attack but lacks in speed and defences, but what is more curious is that it actually has a lot of moves in its movepool. Its main problem is not so much lacking moves or stats, but lacking a combination of the right moves with the right stats. It has quite a good special movepool but its stats scream for a physical movepool. Its walling and supporting movepool is amazing but its stats really do not back that up. Its physical movepool on the other hand is quite bad, with Shadow Claw being its best STAB move. It does get Shadow Sneak as priority, and it gets Sucker Punch, which is more powerful priority but less reliable, but that has the same coverage. Apart from Dark and Ghost moves it has no real physical option whatsoever, a real shame. There is a lot wrong with Banette, but at least it is still better than Delibird, Unown, and Luvdisc.

I think that Banette is one of the pokémon that would actually become something when getting an evolution with eviolite. Eviolite + Cotton Guard + Pain split + Will-o-wisp + Shadow Claw would actually be a viable physical wall but without eviolite its stats just let it down tremendously.
    Master balls are the cheapest thing ever invented. It's more fun catching everything with balls that can fail. 'caught Latios in the wild without master ball ftw'

Overview:
    Banette is not much to look at competitively. It's best stat is a great 115 Attack, second being a 83 Sp. Attack, and it's other stats don't go past base 65. Even with decent attacking stats, it's movepool really doesn't support it. It's typing is good, but it has not had great abilities in the past to make up for it's lowly stats. The Dream World gave Banette Cursed Body, which is nice, but it is still a bit lacking. Overall, Banette has a cool design, and some of its tricks really can make up for a few shortcomings, but Banette will continue to have problems standing out competitively among fellow Ghost-type Pokemon.

Abilities:
    Insomnia: Prevents Banette from falling asleep. This ability does allow Banette to counter Sleep-inducers in NU, which are common, so this ability is not bad.
    Frisk: The foe's hold item is revealed when Banette enters the field. Another decent ability, as it allows you to scout the opposition.
    Cursed Body: When the opponent hits Banette with a move, there is a 30% chance that the used move will become disabled. This can royally screw over some Pokemon, so this ability is great is is usually Banette's choice.

Movesets:

Punching Doll of Doom
    -Shadow Claw
    -Shadow Sneak
    -Gunck Shot
    -Pain Split
    Item: Life Orb
    Nature: Adamant (+Attack, -Sp. Attack)
    EVs: 252 Attack, 128 Defense, 128 Sp. Defense

I admit that this set could be seen as bad, but it's hard when a Pokemon doesn't have much to work with. This set does make use of Banette's great Attack, though, so it should not be severely underestimated. Shadow Claw is Same-Type-Attack-Bonus, and the extra critical-hit chance is awesome. Shadow Sneak is weaker than Shadow Claw, but it has priority to help it strike before the opponent, which is great seeing Banette's bad Speed stat. Gunk Shot is kind of filler, but it can get some decent neutral damage, it's high power is useful (though with low accuracy), and a possible Poison chance is good as well. Pain Split is a bit unreliable in terms of recovery, but it can still help to recover HP.

Life Orb is used to increase Banette's damage output at the cost of some HP each time it damages the opponent. Cursed Body is used to hopefully cripple an opponent by disabling a good move. The Adamant nature boosts Banette's Attack, and the EVs also maximize Attack. The reason EVs are in defenses instead of HP is to increase the capability of Pain Split, although full investment in HP works well also.

Magical Doll of Doom
    -Calm Mind
    -Will-o-Wisp
    -Shadow Ball
    -Hidden Power [Fighting]
    Nature: Modest (+ Sp. Attack, -Attack)
    EVs: 252 HP, 248 Defense, 8 Sp. Attack

This set foregoes Banette's better Attack stat and turns it into a booster that has the potential to survive longer and do more damage. Calm Mind boosts Banette's Sp. Attack and Sp. Defense, while Will-o-Wisp burns the opponent to cut their Attack stat and cause gradual damage. Shadow Ball is powerful STAB and HP Fighting gives perfect neutral coverage alongside a Ghost move.

Leftovers are great for HP restoration, while Cursed Body is used for the same reason as before. The Modest nature boosts the important offensive stat, while the EVs are set to maximize bulk, since Banette boosts its special stats with Calm Mind. For more damage, however, full investment into Sp. Attack instead of Defense could be done, although Banette would be a bit more physically frail.

Other Options:
    -A Trick Room set could be done, but Banette is still really frail to try and pull off Trick Room itself, though it is slow enough to take advantage of it.
    -The only other physical move work mentioning are Sucker Punch and Return, both of which are not as useful seeing as they don't offer much to what little Banette already has.
    -Some special move choices include Thunderbolt, Charge Beam, Psychic, Dark Pulse, and Icy Wind. The moves on the Calm Mind set are better, though.

Checks and Counters:
    Countering Banette is somewhat dependent on which set it runs, but entry hazards and status cripple Banette quite badly, although you need to watch for Pain Split. Priority is also great, since Banette is still quite slow. A good counter to the Calm Mind set would be Flareon, since it it immune to Will-o-Wisp, has great Sp. Defense, and has excellent Attack. Other than that, just keep hammering away quickly and Banette should fall.
    Let's face it: ferret-esque Pokemon are the most epic Pokemon ever (to me)!!!!!! Why can't Nintendo make ones that AREN'T NU Pokemon?!? One of these guys in standard would make me quite happy.

Started by jesusfreak94:
    † I am a Christian and proud of it! Copy and paste this if you are too.†

3DS Friend Code: 2921-9186-8386 Pokemon Found: Mienfoo, Throw, Breloom

Oh Banette.

Oh man.

Oh Arceus all mighty.

Pardon that awkward start to a post. I just had a nostalgia-gasm.

Banette holds a special place in my heart since it was one of my most used pokemon in the 4th gen, when I was at the peak of my competitive pokemon 'hobby'. The particular Banette I had was a shiny, though I can't exactly remember where I got it (did I get it in a trade???). It lacked Egg moves and was stuck with Insomnia as its ability, but I worked with what I had.

Enough rambling. Time to lay down what I had learned in playing with Banette when I was at my best (I still lost a lot, but don't discredit me for that, please?). Also thought I should point out that I used this Banette in Doubles (because it's significantly harder to use in Singles).

Banette@Focus Sash
    Brave Nature - 252 HP/252 Atk/4 Def
    Insomnia Ability
    -Trick Room
    -Destiny Bond/Disable
    -Shadow Claw
    -Sucker Punch

Banette's most usable moveset and one of my favorites, except I had used Grudge instead of Destiny Bond since it was an Egg move. Banette's slowness and high Attack stat make it a favorable Sash user of Trick Room, delegating it to a one trick pony. But Banette still has a few tricks up its sleeves once the Trick Room is up. Destiny Bond is great, assuming your opponent doesn't have a priority move bar Sucker Punch, Quick Attack, Feint, Mach Punc, or Extremespeed (the former isn't triggered by Destiny Bond). While it is a classic combo to take down an enemy on the second turn, Disable is another option in case you find your opponent doesn't fall for the trick that easily. With the Trick Room inverting the speed, you'll be able to Disable the move they used last turn, which could tip the odds in your favor if that move would've been a KO to one of your pokemon. Either one is vulnerable to priority assuming Focus Sash was set off or deactivated, so it really falls on you whether you want to instantly kill something or be a troll.

Shadow Claw is Banette's main attack, a godsend in the transition to 4th gen that saved Banette from losing Shadow Ball. It's a great attack for a good reason, high critical hit rate, which means Banette can occasionally take out even a resilient opponent. And when it comes to priority Banette gets Shadow Snea- uh, I mean, Sucker Punch to round things off. The reason why Sucker Punch should be used over Shadow Sneak is that Sucker Punch is still stronger than Shadow Sneak, even with STAB. Base 80 Power beats base 60 power, with STAB included. While a bit unreliable, it is Banette's other hardest hitting move.

Other Moves
    Grudge was the move I used the most with my Banette, and you may scoff at its usefulness. While completely draining a move's PP to 0 upon KO, that still leaves 3 other moves to deal with. The trick here is to drain a move that would have hit the rest of your team super effectively. Most people don't realize that Grudge can help out teams with type overlap. Allow me to explain. If Banette falls to a Dark move and Grudge drains their PP, they still have 3 other moves to wreck your team with, especially if they had Baton Passed boosts. but then you send in say, another Ghost type, and you had just drained one of their best moves to deal with said Ghost types. You can also Grudge Pursuit or a priority move that would've otherwise KOd your next pokemon before they could have a chance at dealing with that opponent. Monotype teams, take note!
    Cotton Guard is a nifty move that can be used with Cursed Body, giving Banette a suddenly bulky moveset. It still leaves your Sp.Def vulnerable, but a moveset with Pain Split and some stalling moves in Knock Off and Taunt with the ability Cursed Body can be usable.
    Role Play only works for one ability, and that's Frisk. The other abilities of Banette you'd rather keep, Insomnia for avoiding sleep to set up Trick Room, and Cursed Body to give your opponents the middle finger. But with Frisk, once you've revealed an item, you can then copy a desired ability with Role Play. Frisk will come back when you switch out and in, allowing you to keep up the perpetual scouting.
    Skill Swap does the same thing as Role Play, but it's better used with Frisk like before. Frisk won't activated when Swapped (at least, I don't think it does) so you can nab a better used ability while leaving them with nothing.
    Magic Coat bounces back statuses and Taunt, which is really helpful if Banette needs to set off a Trick Room.
    Imprison gets a mention for permanently blocking the usage of Sucker Punch, allowing Banette to attack uninterrupted without being cheated first.
    Helping Hand is an extremely rare move, found only on the Banette purified in Pokemon XD. An absolutely great move for Ghost types, used in tandem with a teammate's Explosion (the only other pokemon that can do this are Telepathy Gardevoir, Musharna, Medicham, and other Ghost types purified in XD namely the Duskull line and Sableye). The only catch is no Egg Moves and you're stuck with Insomnia, but it's a rare niche.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Murder Heavangelon View Post
    The reason why Sucker Punch should be used over Shadow Sneak is that Sucker Punch is still stronger than Shadow Sneak, even with STAB. Base 80 Power beats base 60 power, with STAB included.
    STAB = 50% damage bonus, so a base 60 power move actually has base 90 power. I.E. STAB Shadow Sneak is stronger than non-STAB Sucker Punch. So, no, you're wrong.
    “The God of the old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; petty, unjust, unforgiving, control freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty, ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully. Those of us schooled from infancy in his ways can become desensitized to their horror."

~Richard Dawkins

I am a Satanist and proud of it! Copy and paste this into your signature if you are too!

Quote Originally Posted by Divine Retribution View Post
    STAB = 50% damage bonus, so a base 60 power move actually has base 90 power. I.E. STAB Shadow Sneak is stronger than non-STAB Sucker Punch. So, no, you're wrong.
    ...No, he was right, and you're wrong. Shadow Sneak has base 40 power. Base 60 is what it equates to with STAB factored in already. Non-STAB Sucker Punch is stronger than STAB Shadow Sneak.
    I make no claim of being perfect or always right. Take everything I say with a grain of salt.

Quote Originally Posted by KillerDraco View Post
    ...No, he was right, and you're wrong. Shadow Sneak has base 40 power. Base 60 is what it equates to with STAB factored in already. Non-STAB Sucker Punch is stronger than STAB Shadow Sneak.
    Yeah, just realized SS is 60 base power. Sorry, my fault, you're right. XD
    “The God of the old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; petty, unjust, unforgiving, control freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty, ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully. Those of us schooled from infancy in his ways can become desensitized to their horror."

~Richard Dawkins

I am a Satanist and proud of it! Copy and paste this into your signature if you are too!

Yesterday, Sunday, I was excited for this POTW, then I found out it was Banette. Ewww...

You could use it on a Trick Room team, which is yet to be suggested, but still... No.

Check out my RMT!

Spoiler:- Team Induhbut (An NU Sun Team):

† I am a Christian and proud of it! Copy and paste this if you are too.†

I actually use one in my NU team, because it helps me beat Psychic types, as well as things that use Sleep moves.

Banette@Choice Band
    Adamant Nature - 252 Atk/252 Speed/4 HP
    Insomnia Ability
    -Shadow Claw
    -Shadow Sneak
    -Sucker Punch
    -Trick

Doesn't get the best coverage, I just didn't know what would be a good replacement for Sucker Punch.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucario Fan View Post
    Moves: Will-O-Wisp, Hex, Toxic, Sucker Punch
    Instead of posting an extremely basic, outclassed set every week just to get first post, you could actually put some effort into actually providing a set that is usable in POTW. Running double status generally doesn't work too well, especially with this slow of a Pokemon, and Hex relies solely on you actually being able to use this status and fails to take advantage of Banette's much higher Attack stat. Cursed Body and Sucker Punch are actually usable on Banette, so I'll leave those be. Another thing that would be useful/actually make it so this post gets a little consideration is if you added EVs and Nature so we actually have some idea of what you expect this set to do.
    Back : D
    I help write the Pokemon of the Week!
    Trapped since February 9, 2013
    Woooo competitive. Also doing ASB, with my squad being here.
    Also have a Youtube channel where I do Nintendo News. Woo.

Banette? Really? /sighs....

Trick Room set will do, but just no...

Banette @ Focus Sash / Leftovers
    Cursed Body
    252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 Def
    Brave Nature
    - Trick Room
    - Shadow Sneak
    - Destiny Bond
    - Toxic / Will-O-Wisp

Got hit. Sash. Set up TR. Destiny Bond the opponent then probably gonna dead. And you could also give status with Toxic. But yeah still, Banette doesn't really good at competitive battling. Outclassed by many other physical walls. But, go nuts!
    ♠ ♣ ♦ ♥

Cursed Body w/ Life Orb
    Adamant w/ 255 Attack, 255 HP [Note: The other stats are too low for any good use]
    Shadow Claw
    Sucker Punch
    Will-o-wisp
    Trick Room

Countering:
    High Defense pokemon with Ghost/Dark-type moves.
    Official NU Counters: Shadow Ball Weezing/Gorebyss/Glaceon, Crunch Huntail/Torterra/Stoutland
    Last edited by sbktdreed; 16th June 2013 at 2:35 AM. Reason: from recent review
    Got Pokémon X. Intend to get either Omega Ruby or Alpha Sapphire.
    No info about my Friend Safari.
    Vivillon Pattern: Polar
    Looking for nicknamed, shiny, and/or have a hidden ability in GTS and may battle at anytime.
    If interested, send a private message with your ID #.

Banette is an underrated pokemon... Use it, if you want a totally unpredictable force in your team. Banette's attack shines above all it's other stats with a massive 115 BP, it's ghost typing is enough to let it strike fear in your opponent's heart! although banette in defensively unpresent and it has some issues with speed, but who cares? Banette is a walking doll... Thats enough for me!

Seriously speaking, banette is underwhelming and boring, all you can do with it is set up trick room and hope to inflict a status... Toxic or wisps.
    If you want your banette to be more effective you'll have to support very well... In the best conditions for banette is the presence of screens and a 2 to 3 boosts for speed from ninjask then it can "sweep". Another requirement is you don't like baton passing is trick room but careful of slower foes!

Even supported with some speed, defense and attack to a lesser extent, there is always a better choice for a team than banette. Why would someone spent 7 turns setting up for something like banette to try to sweep and not something like.... Mmmmm, anything else and sweep!?

During the month that the PU ladder was up, I was usually running variants of an offensive team that utilized Custap Pineco to lay down hazards as quickly as possible before running over the opponent with my sweepers. I tossed Banette on there as sort of an emergency offensive spinblocker, and although I didn't see many spinners besides (lol) Sandshrew, Banette never left the team. It actually turned out to be one of the best Pokemon I tried in the tier.

Banette @ Life Orb
    Trait: Cursed Body
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    Adamant Nature
    -Sucker Punch
    -Will-O-Wisp
    -Destiny Bond
    -Thunder Wave / Taunt / Shadow Claw

It's hard to pinpoint exactly what Banette did on my team. I guess the best title would have to be "Disruption Pokemon." Banette just caused so many problems whenever he came in on a slower opponent. I almost always was able to get at least one burn and a kill, possibly even two kills. So many people forget about Destiny Bond, and so they'll just attack to their heart's content with slowpokes like Gigalith and such, letting Banette take an opponent down with him. Sucker Punch was also a very useful priority attack, helping to keep dangerous but frail Pokemon like Simipour and Beheeyem in check. The last slot was pretty flexible, and I tried a number of different options. Thunder Wave was the most recent that I tried before the DDoS attack occured and Pokemon Showdown! went offline, just before PU's ladder month was over and the ladder was removed. It was awesome for giving me a secondary status to inflict on Pokemon that didn't mind Will-O-Wisp much (namely opposing special sweepers), and it also helped against cocky Combuskens who thought they could set up on me with impunity due to their immunity to Will-O-Wisp and resistance to Sucker Punch. Taunt helped wear down slower Pokemon that might try to heal up on Banette, and it synergized very well with Destiny Bond and Sucker Punch. Shadow Claw was the first option I ever tried, and it was alright. It provided Banette with a decently powerful STAB move for killing off anything slower and weak enough, but I didn't use it often.

Obviously, there are plenty of Pokemon in NU and above that do this sort of thing better (Drifblim immediately comes to mind), but Banette turned out really good in PU.

Quote Originally Posted by sbktdreed View Post
    Cursed Body w/ Life Orb
    Brave/Quiet w/ 252 Attack, 252 Sp Attack, 6 HP [Note: The other stats are too low for any good use]
    Shadow Sneak/Shadow Claw
    Thunderbolt
    Will-o-wisp
    Night Shade

Countering:
    High Defense pokemon with Ghost/Dark-type moves.
    Official NU Counters: Shadow Ball Weezing/Gorebyss/Glaceon, Crunch Huntail/Torterra/Stoutland
    Unofficial additions: Will-o-wisp & Hex Ninetails/Heat Rotom, Gachomp, Druddigon, Tyranitar, Bisharp, Feraligatr, Payback Scrafty/Ferrothorn/Bouffalant, Crunch Arcanine, Dark Pulse Hydregion, Night Slash Scizor/Drapion
    If you're going to give a Banette set that obviously is going to need to be used on a trick room team, it would help to say so in a description (I mean, you have -Speed abilities and everything), and a description would help us better understand what you expect this set to do. Moving on, Shadow Sneak isn't that great to run on Banette, especially when it has a better priority option in Sucker Punch. Shadow Claw is obviously the better option for that slot, as it provides reliable damage as well as get a STAB boost. Thunderbolt literally has no reason to be used, outside of hitting Wartortle harder; everything else is better taken care of by Shadow Claw or Sucker Punch. The best option for that slot would either be Trick Room, which would enable Banette to "outslow" things, or Sucker Punch for priority and better coverage. THe removal of Thunderbolt also means that the Special Attack EVs are not necessary, which can be better invested in HP, as it will allow Banette to survive at least one move from a not too powerful Pokemon rather than being KO'd immediately. Will-O-Wisp is a good option as it allows Banette to cripple physical attackers hat otherwise could cause Banette problems. Night Shade is another move with no viable use, as anything it would need to hit would be better taken care of by another member of Banette's team (basically anything physically bulky), as Banette can't afford to not do serious damage to something as it generally will be KO'd after it hits.

Moving onto your counters list, once again, just because something has a coverage move that is super effective does not make it a counter. Weezing is a decent counter in its own right, but not because of Shadow Ball, and Shadow Ball should not be run as it limits what Weezing can use for coverage that actually helps. Gorebyss is 2HKO'd by Banette and can OHKO in return, so is at best a check as it can't switch in. Glaceon is an OK counter, but is not seen at all in NU particularly as sits in the same speed tier as Banette and is Stealth Rock weak. Huntail has the same problem as Gorebyss of being 2HKO'd, meaning it can't switch in, and most NU Huntail sets run Crunch anyhow so no need to list it specifically, though Huntail has to watch out for being Will-O-Wisped. Torterra is bulky enough to take anything Banette throws at it, but also has to worry about getting burnt. Stoutland is a good check or counter as Intimidate lowers Banette's Attack and it OHKOs with Crunch. I don't see why you have a "unofficial additions" section at all as none of them will even be considered for the POTW and this is a solely POTW related thread, and even for those I have to say again that random super effective coverage moves =/= counters.

Quote Originally Posted by jesusfreak94 View Post
    During the month that the PU ladder was up, I was usually running variants of an offensive team that utilized Custap Pineco to lay down hazards as quickly as possible before running over the opponent with my sweepers. I tossed Banette on there as sort of an emergency offensive spinblocker, and although I didn't see many spinners besides (lol) Sandshrew, Banette never left the team. It actually turned out to be one of the best Pokemon I tried in the tier.

Banette @ Life Orb
    Trait: Cursed Body
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    Adamant Nature
    -Sucker Punch
    -Will-O-Wisp
    -Destiny Bond
    -Thunder Wave / Taunt / Shadow Claw

It's hard to pinpoint exactly what Banette did on my team. I guess the best title would have to be "Disruption Pokemon." Banette just caused so many problems whenever he came in on a slower opponent. I almost always was able to get at least one burn and a kill, possibly even two kills. So many people forget about Destiny Bond, and so they'll just attack to their heart's content with slowpokes like Gigalith and such, letting Banette take an opponent down with him. Sucker Punch was also a very useful priority attack, helping to keep dangerous but frail Pokemon like Simipour and Beheeyem in check. The last slot was pretty flexible, and I tried a number of different options. Thunder Wave was the most recent that I tried before the DDoS attack occured and Pokemon Showdown! went offline, just before PU's ladder month was over and the ladder was removed. It was awesome for giving me a secondary status to inflict on Pokemon that didn't mind Will-O-Wisp much (namely opposing special sweepers), and it also helped against cocky Combuskens who thought they could set up on me with impunity due to their immunity to Will-O-Wisp and resistance to Sucker Punch. Taunt helped wear down slower Pokemon that might try to heal up on Banette, and it synergized very well with Destiny Bond and Sucker Punch. Shadow Claw was the first option I ever tried, and it was alright. It provided Banette with a decently powerful STAB move for killing off anything slower and weak enough, but I didn't use it often.

Obviously, there are plenty of Pokemon in NU and above that do this sort of thing better (Drifblim immediately comes to mind), but Banette turned out really good in PU.
    I like the way this set works (I used it on PU ladder as well for a while), and yes the extra status was nice :P I found it interesting how many Pokemon came in on Banette (I used Focus Sash over Life Orb though, to take advantage of Destiny Bond more), as well as this set not needing Trick Room support.
    Back : D
    I help write the Pokemon of the Week!
    Trapped since February 9, 2013
    Woooo competitive. Also doing ASB, with my squad being here.
    Also have a Youtube channel where I do Nintendo News. Woo.