Thread: Shinies?

Default Shinies?

Alright, I am fairly new to Pokémon, so I just have to ask: What exactly ARE shiny Pokémon? I keep hearing about them all over the internet on Pokemon sites (especially this one), and I don't really know much about them. Do they just look different than the original Pokémon they are supposed to be? Or do they have different stats from the original Pokémon as well? And how are you supposed to get them? Sorry for such a "newbie" question, but I would just like to know! Thanks!
    Reality is a lovely place, but I wouldn't wanna live there... ~ The Real World by Owl City

Shiny Pokemon are simply alternate colored Pokemon that, without using the Masuda Method, have a 1/8192 chance of appearing. Their only difference is in their colors, and their stats are the same of any other Pokemon of that species. You can encounter them through random encounters, saving in front of a stationary Pokemon such Cobalion and resetting your game (by pressing L+R+START+SELECT) until it is shiny. This method is known as soft-resetting, as you don't have to turn your DS system off and on to restart the game and reload your save. There are of course other ways of getting shiny Pokemon, too. For all of the details, I highly recommend you visit this page for more info.

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Shiny_Pokémon
    Winner of the June shiny competition, with 15 points! (three 1/8192 shinies)

Latest shiny! (Friend Safari)

Spoiler:- Shinies:

"Strong Pokemon. Weak Pokemon. That is only the selfish perception of people. Truly skilled trainers should try to win with their favorites."
    -Elite Four Karen

Thanks so much! That was exactly what I needed to know!
    Reality is a lovely place, but I wouldn't wanna live there... ~ The Real World by Owl City

You're very welcome!
    Winner of the June shiny competition, with 15 points! (three 1/8192 shinies)

Latest shiny! (Friend Safari)

Spoiler:- Shinies:

"Strong Pokemon. Weak Pokemon. That is only the selfish perception of people. Truly skilled trainers should try to win with their favorites."
    -Elite Four Karen

Answered, so closed. Try the questions thread sticky at the top of the section next time, please.

A parody of the Pokemon Colosseum game, full of pastries and Miror B.
    Completed. Four times winner of Best Comedy/Funniest Fic.

The BBS Forums! Join in!
    Gain achievements for activity on forums & the games!

Tied to this Pokemon Magazine! Looking for contributors - check it out!
    Why should you? Well, Wynaut?
    Current article: Fan Art Reviews: toufu's Manga! Check out neat art of Golduck and Shinx, among others!
    Avatar by minty-fivestar on DA, with edited background/cropping. Fic banner by cieux.

My shinies. Just click the links~

~Shiny Banner 1~
    ~Shiny Banner 2~
    ~Shiny Banner 3~

My shinies are not for trade or cloning.
    Shinies are not listed in order, for example the last shiny on the banner is not always the latest shiny I've obtained.
    Banner 1 made by Light Venusaur, thanks ^_^