Thread: Does Satoshi Tajiri have Asperger's?

Default Does Satoshi Tajiri have Asperger's?

The reason I ask is simple: His biography says so however neither his Wikipedia or Bulbapedia articles mention it (and in the discussion of the Bulbapedia article some one brought up that it seemed that all these reliable sources were citing each other). So I guess what I'm really asking for is if there is anything that is more inconclusive.

Preface: The reason that I'm asking is that I study how different things have influenced the arts and having an answer to this question would be (potentially) important knowledge for my self.

I remember the Wikipedia page having it, and the Bulbapedia article mentions it. But it also mentions that it's been disputed in the community... whichever community they're talking about. It's hard to say at this point if he does, but considering he is in his late forties, it's pretty much almost moot at this point for him to really get a diagnosis. He's a successful man, he obviously works well with his co-workers and can talk to people (how else would he have pitched the idea of Pokémon several times?), and he's chosen to stay out of the open for whatever reason, which is fine. Even if he does have Asperger's, it's most likely not that big of a deal, or he found a way around it. It happens.

Just because he based off Pokémon on his childhood hobby doesn't necessarily mean he has Asperger's or a form of autism. It probably may not even be the factor as to why he became more of a gamer than an electrical utility repairman like his father wanted. Most people his age at the time got into video games because video games were/are revolutionary. It'd be like if someone got into television when it was first introduced instead of becoming a business man or even a farmer. People will always find something that interests them the most even if others are against it. And if they're passionate enough, they succeed and do what they love to do for the rest of their life. Tajiri did just that, and now even though he's not as big as Miyamoto, he's a successful man, and possibly lives a very comfortable life. Asperger's or not, good for him.
    Winner of Best Pokémon/Pokémon Fic of 2013 in the Shipping Oscars
    Current Chapter: Chapter Ten - 3/17/14 / Current: Last Chance - 11/3/11 - Chapter 20 progress: 75%
    I survived Pupa.

Well, while I can't say I know either, it seems obvious that he does not currently suffer from a socially debilitating form of autism (Asperger's Syndrome being a form of autism). Some people have only mild cases of autism, a small number of children actually recover from autism, so it is possible he has, or has had it.
    Problematic Paranormal Files

The Gravity Falls Fanclub | My Twitter: @CleverKraken

Today's Fact: Phasmophobia is the fear of Ghost, Spectrophobia is fear of Mirrors.

I heard he does and I love hearing it...because I to have it in mild form and it's such an inspiration to me...it tells me if you have an idea and you have autism...it won't hold you back, in fact it can propel you forward
    May the odds be EVER in your favor
    Credit to Eeveelover824 for this sig and credit to RondezView for the pink pikachu
    If you are a true Swiftie (a Taylor Swift fan) like me and not scared to show it, "Drop Everything Now" and copy and paste in your signature.

As per this article it seems that he has the syndrome but not sure how legit is this article
    aspergersanonymous.blogspot.co.uk
    You can find my website at http://www.ukkolours.com

If Satoshi had Aspenger, I think we would know that in his biography. It's something that he couldn't hide from people for a long.

Though he had it, what is the matter? What's going to the be end of this discussion? We can't guess from our computers whether someone has Aspenger or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Mystical Jackal View Post
    If Satoshi had Aspenger, I think we would know that in his biography. It's something that he couldn't hide from people for a long.
    Yes, he could. It's possible that a lot of people have a mild form of autism or have Asperger's, but because it's so mild, they don't ever get diagnosed with it, and they tend to live fairly normal lives. It's easier to see in children than adults, which is why children tend to be diagnosed more often than adults (and sometimes misdiagnosed). Autism has been recognized for only about a hundred years. It wasn't entirely well-known around the world until about the 80s or 90s, and even then, most parents never got their child diagnosed (Satoshi Tajiri was born in 1965, he was a teenager of the late 70s and early 80s). I noticed that in the 2000s the awareness of it shot up, and it's kept climbing.

So could he get a diagnosis? Yes, but really, at this point in his life, I don't think he cares.
    Winner of Best Pokémon/Pokémon Fic of 2013 in the Shipping Oscars
    Current Chapter: Chapter Ten - 3/17/14 / Current: Last Chance - 11/3/11 - Chapter 20 progress: 75%
    I survived Pupa.

It is worth noting that some of the posts are a bit misleading. Satoshi Tajiri hasn't been actively involved in Pokemon for several years. Nowadays he typically gets an "Executive Producer" or "Created By" credit, which usually doesn't indicate actual work performed.

If you look in the Talk page for Tajiri's article on Wikipedia, one Wiki user actually contacted the author of the book and asked how he/she learned Tajiri had Aspergers. She said she just found it online and had no contact with Game Freak, Tajiri, or a representative of Tajiri.

There is no actual, real evidence from Tajiri or an actual representative of Tajiri that he has Aspergers.
    I'm part of the staff at Project Pokemon! Smod in forums, AOP in IRC, Administrator on Shoddy. Come visit us. Our Project is Pokemon!

Quote Originally Posted by Kutie Pie View Post
    So could he get a diagnosis? Yes, but really, at this point in his life, I don't think he cares.
    He's too busy rolling in his billions of Yen.

A little off topic, but what does Tajiri actually do at Game Freak nowadays.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Dragon View Post

Executive producer, meaning he supervises game development.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Dragon View Post

If you look at his credits history, it indicates he has shifted from directly working on Pokemon games to more of an advisory role. "Executive Producer" isn't strictly an honorary title in video games, but in this case, it probably is. Similar to how Stan Lee gets an EP credit in all the Marvel comic book movies even though he does no work on the film outside of his cameos.

He was "Executive Director" for RSE, probably meaning he at least reviewd stuff for those games and approved it. I doubt he did a lick for anything he was credited with for Executive Producer from Gen 4 on.
    I'm part of the staff at Project Pokemon! Smod in forums, AOP in IRC, Administrator on Shoddy. Come visit us. Our Project is Pokemon!