Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How do you remember what types are super effective to others?

I memorized the type matchup table and since then I know what moves are super effective on what types and not very effective.

After playing for so many years, it's just engraved in my brain now lol

http://www.marapets.com/refer.php?id=jbla

Please go to this website and make a FREE account! You will have a virtual character, virtual pets, and virtual friends! Similar to Neopets but WAY better!!!

I tattooed it to my forehead. But now since the reveal of the new Fairy type I guess I'm going to have to get it removed and start over again.

In all seriousness I just know from too much game play.

Art by me. TinyTorchic is my baby sister~

Memorization and above all, experience. After playing the game for so much time, I automatically memorize the ones I overuse.

i just play a lot, so i've just caught on.
    PM me if you want to battle! i'm always looking for a good battle!

"strong pokemon. weak pokemon. that is only the selfish perception of people. real trainers try to win with their favorites." - karen

black 2 national pokedex: 649/649

Once you play Pokémon long enough you will know the Match up chart pretty well.

It only took me 3 months to memorize it.
    Shiny Count: 50

Thanks Eeveelover824 for the animated banner!

Thanks Fairywitch for the button!

After playing the game for 15+ years it kinnda comes as a second nature.....so my advice.......play it for 15+ years.
    #AlphaSapphire
    I am one of Jehovah's Witnesses.
    If you have a question about my religion, or wish to discuss my religion, the Bible, or anything related to this topic, feel free to PM or VM me, take a look at the information in my profile or visit our official website.

mostly it's common sense for me.excluding psychic>fighting (apparently the bully doesn't beat up the little nerd kid...)

Quote Originally Posted by worldwaker View Post
    mostly it's common sense for me.excluding psychic>fighting (apparently the bully doesn't beat up the little nerd kid...)
    Mind games and critical thinking > brute force.

Also, fighters can't really do anything to you if you can telekinetically pin them to a wall.

I always use my notebook. I wrote like, half bulbapedia in it

Years of playing. Plus, many of them are common sense.

Like just about everyone else said, experience and years of memorizing everything.

Quote Originally Posted by AmbipomMaster View Post
    I don't know much about Fairy-type (as it is new and when it was a rumor, I didn't believe it), so I don't know why it has an advantage over Dragon (other than to balance the type chart)
    Fairies are often associated with magic, which is commonly used to slay dragons and other mythical beasts in various media. (Least... that's my personal theory behind it.)
    Last edited by 11037; 14th June 2013 at 2:54 AM.
    [IMG]http://i39.*******.com/30nc01x.png[/IMG]

PASBL
    | Clock shop on Hiatus | Tumblr
    [IMG]http://i41.*******.com/swtmiw.gif[/IMG]
        Spoiler:- Ding Ding Sparkle Sparkle:

As many others have stated, years of experience. Though I sometimes have trouble thinking of every weakness that a certain type has without looking them up, I can look at a move and know what the effectiveness of it would be. I think it will be fun trying to work Fairy into that when X and Y are released.

3DS Friend Code: 2535-4249-2325
    PM me if you add me for X and Y so I can add you too! I apparently give Sandile, Nuzleaf, and Liepard in the Friend Safari.

Basically, so many years of memorizing helped me understand all the type advantages and disadvantages. Although the Fairy-type means I have to learn some new weaknesses and resistances.

I haven't memorized them. I know the obvious ones (Fire > Grass, Electric > Water, Ice > Ground, etc.) but I can never remember when it comes to types like Dark, Psychic, Ghost, Fighting and so on.

TBTF EGC ACbay deviantART RNtMA
    Friend Safari: Shellgon, Gabite, Druddigon

3DS FC: 2320 6135 5667
    NN ID: TheUglyBarnacle

It's basic knowledge for me.

He Will Be Loved l Sig By Sworn Metalhead

After few years of playing Pokémon, it's just... natural.
    But I also use logic, sometimes. And it can appear to be very useful.
    « Be the leaf... »

my deviantArt page
    my tumblr page

I think I just have it ingrained in my head.
    (template from Jerkfighter)

Here's the honest truth. I basically just guess. Unless I'm doing something in a FanFic or something, I usually don't refer to charts or anything like that.
    A Winner Is You!!!

If you spend too much time thinking about a thing, you'll never get it done.
    - Bruce Lee

The worst thing you can do in any business is blame the customer.
    - Willie 'Jack' Degel

I guess the whole type chart is just stuck in my brain and after playing the games for so many years it's hard to forget it even though I had a considerably long hiatus from the whole series.

Credits to Sworn Metalhead for the awesome banner!

After so many years pokemon is like a sixth sense to me, I can always foresee how much damage an attack will do because I memorize lots of base stats from lots of pokemon automaticly. And types of course.

Mostly memorisation, with a big of common sense, but even after over a decade of playing sometimes I occasionally forget some of the more obscure ones.

The biggest example of this is that sometimes I think Steel is not very effective against Ground, when it is in fact neutral.

Once you play long enough, it just becomes second nature.

I guess, you can say it's kinda like instinct
    FC: 1332-8918-6873
    Credit: AstralShadow (userbar) & Kida-Ookami (badge) & SwornMetalhead (symbol)

I have memorized most of the type matchups. Not all though, and sometimes I forgot how some types match up against each other.
    We both break free if we make it on top
    If one should fall we both will drop

We move together from here on out
    What you need is what I'm about

Quote Originally Posted by Equal-to-Heaven View Post
    Like just about everyone else said, experience and years of memorizing everything.

Fairies are often associated with magic, which is commonly used to slay dragons and other mythical beasts in various media. (Least... that's my personal theory behind it.)
    Forget about magic....in (traditional) FAIRY tales, there are often dragons that get killed. Yeah. And that's that lol :P (and btw I thought of that reasoning, well my version, before I saw your post).

I guess I just memorized the type matchups without really trying (that or "trying" didn't involve any effort for something so important to me ha ha lol). At least, I never had to starte at charts and memorize them like I would school notes or something. I easily remembered the easy ones like water/fire, fire/grass, electric/water, fighting/rock (even though if a person punched a big rock it would probably hurt them :P), etc....though somehow for a long time I always thought ice was super effective against fighting (and apparently never paid attention to the message in the game) and rock was immune to electric...though the latter might have been caused by, and I am almost sure this happens, in the anime episode where ash battles brock's gym, brock says rock types aren't affected by electric attacks (maybe because the writers were lazy and didn't want to explain dual types? lol). As for fighting actually being good against ice, I thought of it as "breaking the ice". And poison doesn't affect steel because only living things can get sick...though rocks aren't alive. and also ghosts by definition aren't alive lol. Now that I think about it though, having ghost types in the games and anime could be a really controversial or hard to grasp concept...but maybe fans (including me) didn't really care and overlooked it. Oh and for a while I thought somehow that water was ineffective against electric, and never knew until recently that steel was ineffective against electric. I also would get confused with which resistant to which for ice/water and steel/water. But then i thought of ice melting away into your drink, and that steel is resistant to so many things but the one thing it doesn't do well when attacking, other than itself, is water (and I had already memorized that there was a connection between steel and water).
    Last edited by Pikafleg; 16th June 2013 at 12:36 AM.
    I'm sorta back
    While I'd always love to talk about anything pokemon, I will only be using the 6th gen Wifi section for a while out of efficiency in my life, unfortunately

PLEASE NOTE: My one and only 3DS friend code is now 0576 3520 6954, it used to be 0688 5572 5678 but I no longer have that DS, delete that old code if you already have it!
    thought X/Y were amazing, but the widely revolutionary ORAS makes X/Y look like, well, I guess the original Ruby/Sapphire (which were still awesome) ha ha. in early middle of story line, w/ no choice but to progress fairly slowly. if anyone wants to battle or register me (be sure to tell me iso I can get yours) feel free to!

AS: Grovyle, Metang, Swellow, Skitty, Corphish, and "Pikabest"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast