Page 15 of 350 FirstFirst ... 51112131415161718192565115 ... LastLast
Results 351 to 375 of 8736

Thread: Fairy-type Discussion Thread

  1. #351
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    388

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gpt11 View Post
    no but it was based on one lol there not gunna create an evil looking water horse that drags you to a watery death if you ride it lol
    It's more based on the Kirin's mythology of walking on water combined with western Unicorns, if you ask me. Kirins are essentially chinese unicorns - single, backward-curving horn, walking on water... besides being a water horse (something featured in several mythologies), nothing about Keldeo says kelpie to me.

    I'm not saying "drag you to death", I'm saying a kelpie that was based on deception and beauty, without the whole drown-you concept. And I'm not saying there needs to be a pokemon like that, either. I'm saying that's a real kind of fairy, and I'm trying to push past the "fairies are just wussy sissy girls" idea. I'm pretty sure most people think of trolls as hyper-masculine, and they're still considered fairies.

  2. #352
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    My house xD
    Posts
    624

    Default

    "Retconned" Pokemon:
    Jiggs --> Wiggs (Normal/Fairy)*
    Clefairy --> Clefable (Normal/Fairy)*
    Chansey --> Blissey (Normal/Fairy)*
    Marill --> Azumarill (Water/Fairy)*
    Togepi --> Togetic --> Togekiss (Fairy --> Fairy/Flying)
    Gardevoir (Psychic/Fairy)*
    Skitty --> Delcatty (Normal/Fairy)*
    Mawile (Steel/Fairy)
    Cherrim (Grass/Fairy)*
    Azelf/Uxie/Mesprit (Psychic/Fairy)
    Audino (Fairy -- it could help differentiate Audino from Chansey/Blissey by being a pure Fairy-type)

    *=I think any prior members of these evolution families should keep their original type.

    20 previous Gen Pokemon "retconned", and at least 10 new fairy types, would give us about 30 fairies. The addition of new Pokemon for every type should still leave Fairy as the type with the least amount of Pokemon. I'm excited by the possibilities this type brings.

    I think for the most part, we'll see really cutesy, attractive Fairies, at least for this gen. Maybe one or two more "menacing", "cruel" fairies based on darker Euro legends.
    Last edited by johno1995; 13th June 2013 at 1:33 AM.
    X Team:

    Y Team:

  3. #353
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    388

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by johno1995 View Post
    Jiggs --> Wiggs (Normal/Fairy)*
    Clefairy --> Clefable (Normal/Fairy)*
    Chansey --> Blissey (Normal/Fairy)*
    Marill --> Azumarill (Water/Fairy)*
    Togepi --> Togetic --> Togekiss (Normal/Fairy, or pure Fairy?, --> Fairy/Flying)
    Gardevoir (Psychic/Fairy)*
    Skitty --> Delcatty (Normal/Fairy)*
    Mawile (Steel/Fairy)
    Cherrim (Grass/Fairy)*
    Audino (pure Fairy -- it could help differentiate Audino from Chansey/Blissey by being a pure Fairy-type)

    *=I think any prior members of these evolution families should keep their original type.

    17 previous Gen Pokemon as Fairies, at least 10 new fairy types I think it'd be fair to say we'll have at least 27 fairies. I'm excited by the possibilities this type brings.

    I think for the most part, we'll see really cutesy, attractive Fairies, at least for this gen. Maybe one or two more "menacing", "cruel" fairies based on darker Euro legends.
    I like the ones you listed, but I'd add Misdreavus>Mismagius and Petilil>Lilligant

    ...maybe Bellossom.

  4. #354
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    None of your business
    Posts
    425

    Default

    I think I'm the only one hoping for a fairy-type dunsparce
    Hoenn was the best region copy and paste this if you agree (started by BATTLEFRONTIERASH)

  5. #355
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    My house xD
    Posts
    624

    Default

    I feel like Cherrim feels the more Fairy-like to me out of the potential Grass-types, though Lilligant seems likely as well! I'd hate to see them repeat too many typings with Fairy, I feel like we'll see a lot of Normal/Fairy :\

    I don't think we'll see too many retconned Fairies, but thanks for agreeing with my choices! Edited it to add Uxie, Mesprit and Azelf.
    X Team:

    Y Team:

  6. #356
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    221

    Default

    Anyway, I can also foresee dual type move... For example:

    Boomerang: Ground/Rock type

    Icy Wind: Ice/Flying

    Scald: Water/Fire

    Thunderpunch: Electric/Fighting

    Silver Wind: Bug/Fairy

    Shadow Claw: Dark/Ghost

    Dragon Rage: Fire/Dragon

    Twister: Dragon/Flying

    Ominous Wind: Ghost/Fairy or Ghost/Flying

    Lava Plum: Ground/Fire

    Drill Run: Ground/Steel

    Magnitude: Rock/Ground

    Seed Flare or Solarbeam: Grass/Fire

    Magical Leaf: Grass/Fairy

    Waterfall: Water/Rock

    Psycho cut: Psychic/Fighting

    Suckerpunch: Fighting/Dark
    __________________________________________________ _____

    Or new move such as

    Icy Water: Ice/Water

    Flaming Rock: Fire/Rock

    Lightning strike: Electric/Fire


    So for example, this is how it work


    Thunderpunch against Ground type -

    0x against ground but fighting type move deal 1x against it.

    0 + 1 = 1 time damage against ground type

    Firepunch against steel

    both fire and steel type are strong against steel

    2 + 2 equal 4x against steel

    Scald against Ice

    Water does neutral damage and Fire does two times against it


    1 + 2 = 3 times against ice

    Silverwind vs Hydreigon

    Bug is effective against Dark and Fairy is effective against both bug and dragon

    2 + 4 = 6 times !!!!


    Boomerang vs Flying type

    Ground does zero damage vs flying but Rock does 2x against them

    0+2 equal to 2 times damage against most flying type.

    __________________________________________________ __



    I am not expecting everyone to agree with what I am proposing but I believe many will agree with me on this, so that the pokemon world is more logical than ever....


    O ya, one more:

    If a pokemon happen to be half resistence or half weak against a certain move....

    Ice punch vs Dragonite:

    Ice does 4 times against Dragon but fighting does only 0.5 against dragonite

    So this means 4-0.5 is equal to 3.5 damage vs dragonite.

    or

    Suckerpunch vs Bisharp:

    Dark does only 0.25 against Bisharp while fighting type move does 4 times against it

    So instead of 4-0.25.... 0.5 times 2 instead.

    So we get 4 - 1 = 3

    Who is with me on this ?

    O ya, one more , if we are going to have ice/rock dual type

    Bullet punch vs Ice/Rock

    both steel and fighting type does 4 x against ice and rock

    so 4 plus 4 is equal to 8 times

    Ice and Rock type take 8 times against bullet punch.


    This is either going to be the best idea or one that can twist the game out of proportion....
    Last edited by msiew10; 13th June 2013 at 1:52 AM.

  7. #357
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Bionis
    Posts
    9,450

    Default

    Fairy should be balanced with a Dark weak. Make them think twice about recklessly switching in on dragons when you risk being heavily damaged by pursuit on the way out. but ofc thats not happening since GF hates dark.

  8. #358
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    My house xD
    Posts
    624

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pokemonsquared View Post
    Fairy should be balanced with a Dark weak. Make them think twice about recklessly switching in on dragons when you risk being heavily damaged by pursuit on the way out. but ofc thats not happening since GF hates dark.
    Probably not. According to the leaker that gave us inside info on Fairy type, Sylveon being Fairy type, retconning other Pokemon, and Sky battles:

    "It is weak to Poison and Steel, immune to Dragon, super effective against Dragon, Dark, and Fighting, and Fire and Psychic-type Pokemon take half damage from it."

    I do agree though. Though it didn't look like Gardevoir did THAT much damage to Hydreigon to counter a double weakness in the gameplay trailer, so I'm starting to hope maybe that was a mistype or we were misinformed.
    X Team:

    Y Team:

  9. #359
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    114

    Default

    What I'm really excited about this new type is that it will give Poison types an opportunity to shine! Yay for Beedrill, Vileplume, Venomoth, Qwilfish, Muk and Swalot!
    Richie | 4597 0550 9417 | Nosepass, Onix, Rhydon

  10. #360
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Bionis
    Posts
    9,450

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by johno1995 View Post
    Probably not. According to the leaker that gave us inside info on Fairy type, Sylveon being Fairy type, retconning other Pokemon, and Sky battles:

    "It is weak to Poison and Steel, immune to Dragon, super effective against Dragon, Dark, and Fighting, and Fire and Psychic-type Pokemon take half damage from it."

    I do agree though. Though it didn't look like Gardevoir did THAT much damage to Hydreigon to counter a double weakness in the gameplay trailer, so I'm starting to hope maybe that was a mistype or we were misinformed.
    I know about the pokebeach leak...which is why I was so dissapointed. I mean the only really OP type that could be nerfed was dragon, fighitng maybe, but it's just curel to kick dark types even more when they're not that strong for offense or defense.

  11. #361
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Tough luck, stalker.
    Posts
    449

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dracoflare View Post
    I want the pixies to get a fairy type.

    .......

    All of these Pokemon's signature moves are non-psychic type. So changing type won't affect them at all
    Tell that to Manaphy.

  12. #362
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    174

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by msiew10 View Post
    Scizor priority bullet punch and Metagross's stat boosting meteor mash is already powerful enough. I rather have grass, bug and poison type strong against fairy type to balance everything out as fairy tend to have something more to do with nature.
    Steel is strong against Fairy because in folklore iron was toxic to them... besides those two Steel is next to useless offensively... they're excellent walls and they're weak to 3 uber common offensive types... but Fairy being weak against steel makes perfect sense

  13. #363
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Inside the GS ball.
    Posts
    741

    Default

    I'm not going to go into another long winded rant of why I dislike this, I already have gone into it 3 times [2 times with my annoying friends who keep rubbing salt in the wound and once on tumblr] I'm just going to say GF better not screw this up. It has to potential to be devastating if they do this wrong. I trust you Game Freak...i'm giving this a chance.

    [if pikachu is confirmed fairy i'm done, how would ash feel lol]
    Edit: 100th post yay, i'm Sabrina now!
    Last edited by Dragoniss; 13th June 2013 at 2:04 AM.

    NNID: Antagonistgreen | 3DS FC: 4727-5570-4170

    Tumblr | Youtube | Twitch | Deviant Art | Miiverse
    Palletshipping | Cafemochashipping | Namelessshipping


  14. #364
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    119

    Default

    I was against having a fairy type, wanted a better name. But now that it is real, I'll deal. Already getting over it and feeling better about how it fits with steel/dragon etc thanks to some other comments. I am concerned that most so far fit the cute stereo type. Since many noncute things fit the fairy name I want to see some. I feel the new type is just wasted potential if they stick to cute things, especially since fairy isnt always cute. Perhaps they've only shown us cute ones thus far due to the stereo type in many places. I would find it odd for them to focus only on that when plenty of other Japanese games have non-cute fairies. Since fairy is real, I want a fairy/dark type inspired by Oberon.
    -}<3Steel Types,<3{-
    My Greatest Ruby Team
    Platinum Team
    HeartGold Team
    SoulSilver Team
    White Team
    White 2 Team

  15. #365
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    The Unova Region
    Posts
    166

    Default

    Here's what I really DON'T get... I have a hard time imagining a little fairy-type like sylveon beating up a giant dragon-type like hydreigon or Salamence... Just think for a second... A fairy beating a dragon??? Am I the only one that thinks this??? Anyways, this is pokemon and Nintendo we're talking about, so I will approach this with an open mind. However, there must be a lot of either new fairy types, or older pokemon retyped to become fairies to balance out the typing ratio- or at least get it close to the numbers of pokemon in other types... Remember- there are over 600 pokemon now!!!! That will take a lot of new fairies to catch up to the sheer masses of every type. (I should know. I've completed the national pokedex, including events, and have them in my PC arranged b type in Black2. 0_< also, I just got the last one about a week ago, so I don't have any up for trade for other people working on pokedexes at the moment... Sorry )
    『ポケモン不思議のダンジョン ~�� �グナゲートと∞迷宮(むげんだいめ� ��きゅう~』
    "I AM ERROR"~ZeldaII: The Adventure of Link
    Find me on the Pokemon TCGO forums, Fusemon, Pokefarm, and Chicken Smoothie! (Same screen name)

    I AM A LEGIT SHINY TRADER, AND I ONLY TRADE LEGIT.
    I HAVE CLAIMED THE MASTER OF THE WINDS-TORNADUS!!!
    I FINALLY GOT A SHINY FLAWLESS ZORUA! YAY ME!
    DON'T TRADE WITH Dj!/Dj2K HE SCAMMED ME OUT OF A SHINY FOR HIS SHINY MEW, WHICH WAS HACKED, AND WAS RUDE TO ME WHEN ASKED TO TRADE BACK!!! PM ME IF YOU HAVE ANY INQUIRIES!!!

  16. #366
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    From the land down under...
    Posts
    7,075

    Default

    Note there were multiple claims that Fairy type existed, and that leaks aren't always fully correct either. We'll see what it's strong/weak against for sure in due time.

    EDIT:
    Here's what I really DON'T get... I have a hard time imagining a little fairy-type like sylveon beating up a giant dragon-type like hydreigon or Salamence... Just think for a second... A fairy beating a dragon??? Am I the only one that thinks this??? Anyways, this is pokemon and Nintendo we're talking about, so I will approach this with an open mind.
    That answers your qualm. This is a game in which it is possible to defeat a team with Magikarp, or level 1 Pokemon by abusing abilities/moves/etc. You already can fight giant monsters with tiny spiders. This isn't anything different.
    Last edited by bobandbill; 13th June 2013 at 2:08 AM.

    A parody of the Pokemon Colosseum game, full of pastries and Miror B.
    Completed. Four times winner of Best Comedy/Funniest Fic.

    The BBS Forums! Join in!
    Gain achievements for activity on forums & the games!

    Tied to this Pokemon Magazine! Looking for contributors - check it out!
    Why should you? Well, Wynaut?
    Current article: Pokemon Analysis: The Seel/Dewgong Line! Whatever animals are these based on...?
    Avatar by minty-fivestar on DA, with edited background/cropping. Fic banner by cieux.


  17. #367
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    My house xD
    Posts
    624

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by giratina519 View Post
    Here's what I really DON'T get... I have a hard time imagining a little fairy-type like sylveon beating up a giant dragon-type like hydreigon or Salamence... Just think for a second... A fairy beating a dragon??? Am I the only one that thinks this???
    I see "Fairy" representing moreso a type of "magic". In a lot of legends, magic itself is the only thing to defeat a dragon and as beings that use magic, Fairy as a type makes sense to defeat Dragons. Plus it's broad enough to fit the category of a type in the Pokemon world. That's my take on it at least.

    Quote Originally Posted by bobandbill View Post
    Note there were multiple claims that Fairy type existed, and that leaks aren't always fully correct either. We'll see what it's strong/weak against for sure in due time.
    True that. And didn't Smash show Sylveon had a super-effective attack on Ice? Or something similar to that? Doesn't fit that rumor. Plus the video of Gardevoir using Fairy Wind on Hydreigon didn't do enough damage for me to think of it as a double-effective attack so I'm starting to doubt that Fairy is super-effective against Dark.
    X Team:

    Y Team:

  18. #368
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    California
    Posts
    2,563

    Default

    You know, we've had cute Pokemon for ages. Since Gen II there has been baby Pokemon, and adorable little critters. Yet no one had a problem with them. We've always had Pokemon with Female traits: Jynx, Gardevoir, Lopunny, Nidoqueen, Blissey, Dragonair, Melotta. Yet there was never a discussion raised about it. So why all of a sudden with the naming of a Fairy-type are people suddenly clamoring how its cute and girly, or childish. I fail to understand what logic people who dislike are throwing such a fit over its name "Fairy."

    Is it because its associated with homosexuals? Because it sounds demascilating? Someone give me some type of argument that isn't "Its girly and too cute to be a type." on why Fairy-types are anything but a positive and interesting addition to balance the overly-powered Dragon types we have.
    #BuyUltraviolance

  19. #369
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Inside the GS ball.
    Posts
    741

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Takaru View Post
    You know, we've had cute Pokemon for ages. Since Gen II there has been baby Pokemon, and adorable little critters. Yet no one had a problem with them. We've always had Pokemon with Female traits: Jynx, Gardevoir, Lopunny, Nidoqueen, Blissey, Dragonair, Melotta. Yet there was never a discussion raised about it. So why all of a sudden with the naming of a Fairy-type are people suddenly clamoring how its cute and girly, or childish. I fail to understand what logic people who dislike are throwing such a fit over its name "Fairy."

    Is it because its associated with homosexuals? Because it sounds demascilating? Someone give me some type of argument that isn't "Its girly and too cute to be a type." on why Fairy-types are anything but a positive and interesting addition to balance the overly-powered Dragon types we have.
    Admittedly, when my family heard that there was a "fairy" type they all laughed and made so many jokes about it. As awful as it is to have people do that yes, there are people that dislike it strictly because of the name. I myself am not one of those people, I dislike it for different reasons but...people are people..

    I could go into all of the things that I don't like about it for you, but it might turn into another 20 page essay like my tumblr post that I haven't posted has turned into...sooooooo lazy...yup :/

    NNID: Antagonistgreen | 3DS FC: 4727-5570-4170

    Tumblr | Youtube | Twitch | Deviant Art | Miiverse
    Palletshipping | Cafemochashipping | Namelessshipping


  20. #370
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    None of your business
    Posts
    425

    Default

    A lot of the criticism for fairy type comes from it being new, people can't accept change so they must find whatever reason plausible for why change should not occur. Those people might as well stay home, in their closets, and play Game Boy colors for the rest of their lives just to make sure they don't have to see any of the new stuff we pokefans get.
    Hoenn was the best region copy and paste this if you agree (started by BATTLEFRONTIERASH)

  21. #371

    Default

    You know what. I'm gonna explain this for a point of view using myths, lore, and legends. Because I see some people just don't pick up a fantasy book that often lol. This is going to be a decent length. Its my argument and opinion. Take it as you will.

    For those who don't understand why Fairy type has its advantages against dragon, you have to look into lore and mythology. Fae (Nymphs, dryads, naiads, pixies, sylphs, sprites banses, yokai, treants, mermaids, etc.) Sylvan (elves, drow, satyrs, centaurs, , etc.) and Magical Beast all have the inet ability of the usage of magic. It also bothers me that people say "all the fairies are just cute." Read LORE! In honesty, the Fae and Sylvan aren't suppose to be monstrous or mighty like Aggron or Haxorous. Characteristic to describe fae and sylvan in lore: Majestic, Elegant, Graceful, Quirky, Prankster, Witty, Sly, Intelligence, Noble, Androgynous, Cunning. However, until you go to the magical beast, then you start getting into the "non-girly" things that want to see such as Manticores, sphixes, minotaurs, chimeras, hags, hagravens, gorgons, lycanthropes, pegasi, unicorns, basilisk, cockatrice, griffon, hippogrifs, sirens, harpies, etc. For those of you who say the fairy-type is restrictive or narrow type, read some fantasy or play some D&D.

    ANYWAY, onto to the reasoning behind the match ups.

    Strengths
    In most legends or lore, the dragon is the antagonist, and are defeated by humans. However, humans weaponry alone can defeat a dragon. A Warrior would have to have his weapon enchanted by a wizard or elves/fae in order to slay the dragon. Since Fairy types are based off magical creatures, it makes sense why they are strong against dragons. Also Dragons have some control over magic, but they are not magic incarnate such as the Fae, Sylvan, and Magical Beast. Which is why Fairy type has an immunity over dragon if that rumor is true.

    If the rumor is correct then dark and fighting are also weak to fairy. This can also be explain. In fairy tales, Magic and magical beings always overcome the powers of darkness and triumph in the even. So its kinda of like a good vs evil. Think of Fairy as the special equivalent to fighting. The fighting weakness can also be explain. Ever play a video game or DnD and your mage would just wreck total $#*% on the fighters and knights with Fireball or Lighting Bolts. Magic abilities are much more powerful than than a natural fighters abilities.

    Weakness
    According to the rumor, Fairy type has two weaknesses, Steel and Poison. Steel is the easier one to explain. Yet again we go back to the lores that have been passed down and written about for ages. Legend states that cold iron is what is needed to kill Fae. Why? Because it takes a lot of time and effort for magic to effect cold iron weaponry and armor. Which means a a knight who has cold iron while take less damage from magic that the Fae, sylvan, or magical beast use. Cold Iron does not give immunity, after enough time and magic, cold iron won't be able to absorb all the magic and by bypass or break the armor.

    Now Poison is a much harder thing to explain. My reason: Fae and Sylvan are creatures of the natural and magical world. For instance, Naiads channel the lakes and ocean to have their magical abilities over water, Dryads from the forest, when toxicity or pollutants contaminate their source of magic, then they are weak and vunerable. If someone has a better explanation to this, I would like to here it.

    Honestly if any other weakness I would had, would be Fairy itself. In the words of Uncle from Jackie Chan Adventures. "MAGIC MUST DEFEAT MAGIC!!" Which is true. Those who know magic and delve into its properties (or are naturally a part of it) can defeat it.

    Non-Effective
    Looking back at the rumors, yet again. Fairy is not very effective against Fire and Psychic. (I think thats how it was written, please correct me if its incorrect). Psychic is easier to explain. You can go two routes with this: 1) Psychics have immense prowess in mentality. Meaning they have a strong sense of will. Most magic echantments, complusion, and illusion effect the mind. Meaning that psychics have a better chance and resisting them than most. 2) Since Psychic are more mental and intelligent, their disbelief in the magical world.

    Fire is a little harder for me to explain. If anyone has a opinion about it, reply this post.

    Stats
    Stats wise I'm looking at Fae/Sylvan based Fairy-types normally have the higher stats in Sp Atk or Sp. Def. I also can see speed because their are suppose to be elusive and hard to catch/encounter. Their weakest stat would probably be HP or Defense. Fae and Sylvan are usually frail. They use they wisdom, intelligence, and magic to get the better hand of situations. Magical Beast i can see their stats being varied depending on what they are based on.


    So those are my two cents on this type. In honesty, i love it. Gamefreak is taking a risk and exploring the lore of magic creatures. Hopefully, GameFreak will explore more into the Magical beast so the macho players will stop complaining about Fairy being to cutesy or feminine. Do you hear any of the women complaining about the Fighting type being to masculine, I don't hear much complaints.

    Regardless of femininity or not, I'm am probably going to get a male Gardevoir and naming it RuPaul....lol

  22. #372
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    388

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dragoniss View Post
    Admittedly, when my family heard that there was a "fairy" type they all laughed and made so many jokes about it. As awful as it is to have people do that yes, there are people that dislike it strictly because of the name. I myself am not one of those people, I dislike it for different reasons but...people are people..

    I could go into all of the things that I don't like about it for you, but it might turn into another 20 page essay like my tumblr post that I haven't posted has turned into...sooooooo lazy...yup :/
    Eeeh, fairies never kept boys from playing Yu-Gi-Oh when that was popular (and I guess it's still popular in certain demographics), it won't hurt pokemon.


    Granted, I think that assuming pink is for girls and blue is for boys and other girls-do-this, boys-do-that is super harmful to people. And especially to boys. My brother had a baby doll as a little kid - he loved it more than I (being the older sister) ever cared about my dolls (I mostly played with horses and used the dolls for storytelling more than caregiving). Girls have been allowed to reach into "boy stuff" for a while, but the same has never been allowed to boys or men, and I think some of that is what is behind the idea that makes people dismiss fairy types.

  23. #373
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    221

    Default

    o really ? do you have any reference source for it, would love to read more.

    Maybe because fire is needed to forge steel in the first place, that is why it is ineffective against fire.

    It is true that Dragon are magical to some extent as it is able to control element such as nature, fire, water and thunder and to a certain extent other element such as Earth and Wind, so yes dragons are really mythical and powerful..... at the same time, in European legend (that is what Kalos region is based on). Dragons were seen as evil destroyer and fairy and angels are good and holy. So Fairy overcome Dragons, Dark and Fighting (well, fighting type can be seen as hero type but also seen as a violent type) Type. The only things that can hurt dragons are other Dragons, Knights (steel type - able to resist but not bring down a dragon on it own), Ice (Dragon are reptile and often seen as Cold-blooded but this is really unlikely as you need to be warm-blooded and active enough to fly unless you are talking about ground and sea dragon) and finally, Holy power and Magic (Fairy type)

    But Fairy type should also have something have something to do with Grass and Bug type because those two type represent life.

    I think everyone seem to leave out or forget about Rapidash, Rapidash is a Unicorn, so are quite magical and holy and I believe that it might evolved into a flying horse. So Rapidash and it evolution might be Fire/Fairy type.
    Last edited by msiew10; 13th June 2013 at 2:34 AM.

  24. #374
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    My house xD
    Posts
    624

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BurningPassion View Post
    You know what. I'm gonna explain this for a point of view using myths, lore, and legends. Because I see some people just don't pick up a fantasy book that often lol. This is going to be a decent length. Its my argument and opinion. Take it as you will.

    For those who don't understand why Fairy type has its advantages against dragon, you have to look into lore and mythology. Fae (Nymphs, dryads, naiads, pixies, sylphs, sprites banses, yokai, treants, mermaids, etc.) Sylvan (elves, drow, satyrs, centaurs, , etc.) and Magical Beast all have the inet ability of the usage of magic. It also bothers me that people say "all the fairies are just cute." Read LORE! In honesty, the Fae and Sylvan aren't suppose to be monstrous or mighty like Aggron or Haxorous. Characteristic to describe fae and sylvan in lore: Majestic, Elegant, Graceful, Quirky, Prankster, Witty, Sly, Intelligence, Noble, Androgynous, Cunning. However, until you go to the magical beast, then you start getting into the "non-girly" things that want to see such as Manticores, sphixes, minotaurs, chimeras, hags, hagravens, gorgons, lycanthropes, pegasi, unicorns, basilisk, cockatrice, griffon, hippogrifs, sirens, harpies, etc. For those of you who say the fairy-type is restrictive or narrow type, read some fantasy or play some D&D.

    ANYWAY, onto to the reasoning behind the match ups.

    Strengths
    In most legends or lore, the dragon is the antagonist, and are defeated by humans. However, humans weaponry alone can defeat a dragon. A Warrior would have to have his weapon enchanted by a wizard or elves/fae in order to slay the dragon. Since Fairy types are based off magical creatures, it makes sense why they are strong against dragons. Also Dragons have some control over magic, but they are not magic incarnate such as the Fae, Sylvan, and Magical Beast. Which is why Fairy type has an immunity over dragon if that rumor is true.

    If the rumor is correct then dark and fighting are also weak to fairy. This can also be explain. In fairy tales, Magic and magical beings always overcome the powers of darkness and triumph in the even. So its kinda of like a good vs evil. Think of Fairy as the special equivalent to fighting. The fighting weakness can also be explain. Ever play a video game or DnD and your mage would just wreck total $#*% on the fighters and knights with Fireball or Lighting Bolts. Magic abilities are much more powerful than than a natural fighters abilities.

    Weakness
    According to the rumor, Fairy type has two weaknesses, Steel and Poison. Steel is the easier one to explain. Yet again we go back to the lores that have been passed down and written about for ages. Legend states that cold iron is what is needed to kill Fae. Why? Because it takes a lot of time and effort for magic to effect cold iron weaponry and armor. Which means a a knight who has cold iron while take less damage from magic that the Fae, sylvan, or magical beast use. Cold Iron does not give immunity, after enough time and magic, cold iron won't be able to absorb all the magic and by bypass or break the armor.

    Now Poison is a much harder thing to explain. My reason: Fae and Sylvan are creatures of the natural and magical world. For instance, Naiads channel the lakes and ocean to have their magical abilities over water, Dryads from the forest, when toxicity or pollutants contaminate their source of magic, then they are weak and vunerable. If someone has a better explanation to this, I would like to here it.

    Honestly if any other weakness I would had, would be Fairy itself. In the words of Uncle from Jackie Chan Adventures. "MAGIC MUST DEFEAT MAGIC!!" Which is true. Those who know magic and delve into its properties (or are naturally a part of it) can defeat it.

    Non-Effective
    Looking back at the rumors, yet again. Fairy is not very effective against Fire and Psychic. (I think thats how it was written, please correct me if its incorrect). Psychic is easier to explain. You can go two routes with this: 1) Psychics have immense prowess in mentality. Meaning they have a strong sense of will. Most magic echantments, complusion, and illusion effect the mind. Meaning that psychics have a better chance and resisting them than most. 2) Since Psychic are more mental and intelligent, their disbelief in the magical world.

    Fire is a little harder for me to explain. If anyone has a opinion about it, reply this post.

    Stats
    Stats wise I'm looking at Fae/Sylvan based Fairy-types normally have the higher stats in Sp Atk or Sp. Def. I also can see speed because their are suppose to be elusive and hard to catch/encounter. Their weakest stat would probably be HP or Defense. Fae and Sylvan are usually frail. They use they wisdom, intelligence, and magic to get the better hand of situations. Magical Beast i can see their stats being varied depending on what they are based on.


    So those are my two cents on this type. In honesty, i love it. Gamefreak is taking a risk and exploring the lore of magic creatures. Hopefully, GameFreak will explore more into the Magical beast so the macho players will stop complaining about Fairy being to cutesy or feminine. Do you hear any of the women complaining about the Fighting type being to masculine, I don't hear much complaints.

    Regardless of femininity or not, I'm am probably going to get a male Gardevoir and naming it RuPaul....lol
    One of my favorite posts in a while. Thank you, thank you!
    X Team:

    Y Team:

  25. #375
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    From the land down under...
    Posts
    7,075

    Default

    Is it because its associated with homosexuals? Because it sounds demascilating? Someone give me some type of argument that isn't "Its girly and too cute to be a type." on why Fairy-types are anything but a positive and interesting addition to balance the overly-powered Dragon types we have.
    To play devil's advocate, one can argue that there are different ways to have changed the balance on dragon types (e.g. new moves, abilities, changing of base stats, change to damage calculation, or changing how the system itself worked). An addition to type may have also inspired the supposed changes to IVs or etc which may be why there's also trouble with backwards compatibility. (Speculation on my part, but it could very well be it; RSE couldn't trade with GSC due to a different IV system after all). And then there's the fact that we don't know how it will act in practise. It may well bring Dragons down, but would it do it too much? Or what if it just means another type takes over?

    But that doesn't discount the fact that a new type is interesting in of itself. =p Fairies just have that 'negative connation', if you will, of being girly or childish or whatnot, and as that was the first big announcement to come out of E3 with X/Y, it's no wonder it's getting so much focus from the fanbase, some of it negative.

    Note that this is the same fanbase who had people saying, oh, Pokemon Black and White were racist, ice cream Pokemon was a terribad idea and proof that Pokemon was dead (it had more record sales instead), and so on and so forth. These people are also more of a vocal minority than the majority, of course, so one shouldn't pay them too much attention. If you like it, cool. If you don't, well, it's just one part of the full game. As for how Fairy type turns out... well, gotta wait and see first.


    EDIT: BurningPassion made a good post there. Issue is most people when they think of fairies don't think of some of those neat concepts first, or at all... leading to the people complain that it is lame or whatnot. Another point is that Pokemon is still a Japanese game, despite the worldwide release now. The vast majority of Game Freak employees hail from there after all. And Japanese culture has a different take to things compared to Western. Look at background info on what some Pokemon are based on for more on that, like say Lombre (which isn't quite so innocent a basis in many depictions...)
    Last edited by bobandbill; 13th June 2013 at 2:29 AM.

    A parody of the Pokemon Colosseum game, full of pastries and Miror B.
    Completed. Four times winner of Best Comedy/Funniest Fic.

    The BBS Forums! Join in!
    Gain achievements for activity on forums & the games!

    Tied to this Pokemon Magazine! Looking for contributors - check it out!
    Why should you? Well, Wynaut?
    Current article: Pokemon Analysis: The Seel/Dewgong Line! Whatever animals are these based on...?
    Avatar by minty-fivestar on DA, with edited background/cropping. Fic banner by cieux.


Page 15 of 350 FirstFirst ... 51112131415161718192565115 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •