Page 180 of 350 FirstFirst ... 80130170176177178179180181182183184190230280 ... LastLast
Results 4,476 to 4,500 of 8736

Thread: Fairy-type Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by mjunior3 View Post
    I'm just hoping that a list of weaknesses/advantages comes out soon. The suspense is KILLING ME! ugh....
    Yes. I would love to see this as well. I need to know how to counter to my Dragons' weaknesses!

Send me a VM if you want to chat or have a casual battle!
    3DS FC: 2277-6720-4241
    Pokemon White FC: 1937-1211-2762
    VM me yours!

Quote Originally Posted by Ditto24 View Post
    I'd hate that, Ghost and Dark already have identical SE on the same types, another one for both would be pointless, only 1 if any should be SE against Fairy.
    I'd rather have both SE against Fairy than just one, because then whichever one isn't is pretty much obsolete offensively. They're going to have to make more changes to the type chart in order to separate Ghost and Dark without screwing over one of them.
    Quote Originally Posted by LizardonX View Post
    Tabitha has really let himself go, just how many lava cookies did he eat in the last 11 years?

I could see Dark and Fairy be SE against each other, and Poison SE against Fairy as well. Not sure about Ghost...because it's SE against so many others.
    Thanks to FairyWitch for the profile pic!

† I am a Christian, and not ashamed to admit it! Copy and paste this if you are too.†

National Dex Completed 2/13/2014, at 12:12 A.M., with 212:16 Game Time, and thanks to my friends who traded me over 200 times that week

Every time I see someone use the word "girly" I want to stab something with a fork. I don't care what. What does girly even mean? Pink? I certainly hope not.
    Looking for these female Pokemon with their Hidden Abilities. I have dozens of DWFs on offer. PM me if you want to trade.

wait....some people here think xerneas is "girly"?? what the heck? why are you all so determined to slap this label onto fairy type? there is... nothing "girly" or feminine about xerneas. that sharply angled face looks quite youthfully masculine to me. it also looks nothing like an MLP pony -- where did that come from?

fairy type probably will have many cute and pink pokemon, but so do... a lot of the types. even electric has a cute fluffy pink pokemon! and it's electric type! xerneas is like the big dealbreaker for the "fairy is gay" camp. the rainbow move means nothing, unless you're trying to make it mean something. xerneas represents life to yvetal's death -- that's why the colors to yvetal's lack of them. gender means nothing.

and if xerneas is "girly", and fairy is too girly, and thats your opinion and it will not be swayed...what's the problem again? we have more than enough "manly" pokemon. why are so many male gamers so threatened by this new type?? even if fairy turns out to be super girly...why is that a bad thing, again? a lot of the internet really needs to watch its mouth and stop using the terms gay and girly to denounce fairy type. using those terms in a negative way is not okay.

Quote Originally Posted by Bundalings View Post
    Every time I see someone use the word "girly" I want to stab something with a fork. I don't care what. What does girly even mean? Pink? I certainly hope not.
    yes. girly means pink. but also fluffy, and also rainbow, and now also blue and black deer. whatever girly is, apparently, it's a Very Bad Thing.
    Last edited by sunyshore.com; 7th August 2013 at 9:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sunyshore.com View Post
    even if fairy turns out to be super girly...why is that a bad thing, again? a lot of the internet really needs to watch its mouth and stop using the terms gay and girly to denounce fairy type. using those terms in a negative way is not okay.
    So if someone thinks the Fairy type is very girly, but in a positive way, that's fine?

I think Xerneas is girly, if not as overtly so as Sylveon or Flabébé. It's girly in that it's graceful. Like how a unicorn is girly. Unicorns are only rarely pink, usually white, hairy more than fluffy, and not particularly rainbow, even if they can often be found running beneath rainbows. But they're girly because they're graceful, and their gracefulness earns them their place on the folders and stretchable book covers of schoolgirls. You can imagine seeing a girl in an enchanted forest slowly walking up to Xerneas and petting it. Riding Yveltal into battle and wreaking havoc are more of a boy's fantasy. Due to nature or nurture, that's up for debate, but I think it's clear that that's the reason Xerneas starts with X and Yveltal starts with Y.

"Girly" seems to stereotype based off of a combination of characteristics that would apparently appeal to young girls, namely: fluffy, small, nonthreatening, and oftentimes pink. Interestingly, girly has another definition as an adjective. It is:
    Quote Originally Posted by http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/Girly
    girlie or girly (ˈɡɜːlɪ)

— n
    1. a little girl

— adj
    2. displaying or featuring nude or scantily dressed women: a girlie magazine
    3. suited to or designed to appeal to young women: a girlie night out

Can we please refrain from such comments regarding the type.

Now, allow me to educate you (in as much as I can bothered since it's morning and I'm having breakfast). Contrary to what Disney have done, Faeries have not been "girly" little beings made for good. Faeries are actually tricksters, demons who trick humans. They're more than just pixies but they include such things as Gargoyles, Grotesques etc.

I mean look at the Fairy-types we have. Which actually look like the "girly" fairy you think

Marill - No
    Gardevoir - No
    Jigglypuff - No
    Xerneas - Hell no
    Sylveon - No
    Flabébé - As close as we'll get, but no
    Spritzee - No
    Swirlix - No

So, can we drop this "Fairy is girly" crap? This is why I wanted it to be called "Mystic-type". People are too judgmental

Quote Originally Posted by Serebii View Post

Now, allow me to educate you (in as much as I can bothered since it's morning and I'm having breakfast). Contrary to what Disney have done, Faeries have not been "girly" little beings made for good. Faeries are actually tricksters, demons who trick humans. They're more than just pixies but they include such things as Gargoyles, Grotesques etc.

I mean look at the Fairy-types we have. Which actually look like the "girly" fairy you think

Marill - No
    Gardevoir - No
    Jigglypuff - No
    Xerneas - Hell no
    Sylveon - No
    Spritzee - No
    Swirlix - No

So, can we drop this "Fairy is girly" crap? This is why I wanted it to be called "Mystic-type". People are too judgmental
    This. Finally. It won't stop them, but at least some might realise it, lol. And thanks, you reminded me I've not had breakfast yet.

So.

I hope that, if there is a Lucario/Zoroark Pokémon this Gen, (which we "should" have seen by now), it would be Fairy. But I don't expect one now.
    Is apparantly Dragon Type in the Friend Safari. Neat.

One of these Spoilers has a very Hot Chick hidden. One has Yaoi. And one will eat your Soul. Choose at your own risk~

Spoiler:- Number 1:

Spoiler:- Number 2:

Spoiler:- Number 3:

Haha, Serebii's getting feisty. XD

To add to that though, Slenderman is a fairy. So whoever says this Fairy = Girly crap shouldn't go near the forest any time soon.

Mystic doesn't make sense though, Serebii, it's way too vague. For example, all legendary Pokemon are Mystical, and crap.

I'm glad to see it looks like Poison has got another resistance. I mean when Draining Kiss was used on Skrelp, it made a NVE sound, and Water isn't exactly the weakest type.

Marill - No
    Gardevoir - No
    Jigglypuff - No
    Xerneas - Hell no
    Sylveon - No
    Spritzee - No
    Swirlix - No

This, this right here, I've waited for you to say something for over a month now.

I don't agree with the Mystic-type aspect of your comment, because it is just too broad, even by the standards of Pokemon, it technically could be used to to describe nearly every legendary Pokemon, and most non-legendary.

However, everything else you said, it so utterly true. Not a single Fairy-type Pokemon makes me go, oh, that was designed to be more appealing to a girl. It has driven me crazy from day one that there are some, particularly men, that are really weird in terms of how they've reacted to this new type, what is wrong with you people. I can't recall this type of reaction to something since the days that Pokemon contests first came into being, and I actually liked them, as a side challenge.

In the words of Kirstie Alley in For Richer or Poorer, "Aren't there mornings when you wake up and you think, "Oh, I am just so in the mood to wear pink."?". Seriously, pink is not a representation of all things girly, and the idea of what is girly in the first place is just a bad line of thought, because there's this impulsive nature to such lines of thought to be demeaning and belittling.

Pokemon X Friend Code: 5258-0130-4229 / Electric: Dedenne, Pikachu, Zebstrika

This is just my opinion, if you don't support the main character of the show, why bother watching.

Marill - No
    Gardevoir - No
    Jigglypuff - No
    Xerneas - Hell no
    Sylveon - No
    Spritzee - No
    Swirlix - No

People are too judgmental
    I completely agree, especially since the games are not even out. Wait atleast for the next gen after this one to judge something. Nobody has really "dealt" with the type and the Pokémon of it in-game yet

It's very simple...something is "girly" if it is stereotypically depicted as being associated with girls of the stereotypical type...it's not simply a look but a concept...the look only helps add to the concept...Barbies are girly, dollhouses are girly, unicorns are girly...they just so happen to be frilly, fluffy, froufrou things...the fact that they appear as such doesn't make them girly...it's the fact that you normally see little girls playing with them or associated with them that does...a prime example are horses or ponies...in the American culture, it's pretty obvious that your average little girl has some sort of fascination with horses and ponies while your average little boy doesn't...hence why ponies are girly even though there is no appearance indicative of such as present in dollhouses and Barbies...the evolution of the MLP was a horrendous mutilation of the already present concept, but when it comes down to it, it's still superficial only...the original concept of a pony's "girliness" still essentially draws from the fact that ponies are often associated with girls rather than boys...I mean, would a scaly python in a tiara and ballroom dress be attractive to your average little girl?

Anyways, there is nothing overtly obvious about xerneas's appearance that suggests that it's girly besides its sparkles...it has antlers, a key trait of male cervids (save caribou)...it's very angular and sharp....however, it is still a deer, something that is associated with femininity...it has rainbows coming off of it as well and it shoots rainbows out of the ground...If you just think about it even a little...Now forget about what xerneas looks like and read a description...."a graceful four-legged herbivorous ungulate (hoofed mammal) that has horns that light up with the colors of the rainbow"...now what do you picture? If raised in a stereotypical western society with a stereotypical western influence and upbringing, it's obvious that the reader should see something "girly"...Now we won't go into the cultural argument since that's an honors thesis all its own...

Now, keep in mind, "girly" doesn't equate to "bad", I'm not trying to make people angry, I'm not arguing that xerneas IS girly, just that it CAN be seen as girly and makes complete sense if it is, and I'm definitely not saying that all the fairies or fairy types pokemon are girly and should be (although the ones revealed so far arguably are and it shouldn't be surprising if they do all end up girly)...I'm just trying to explain and clear up a concept that people seem to be misunderstanding...being pink DOESN'T make something girly, having long eyelashes DOESN'T make something girly...but both are common attributes of things that are regarded as such...but the verdict is still determined by the actual item being referred to...look at slowbro, it's pink yet not girly, look at lilligant, it's not pink yet very girly....Also, I'm very bored with this drought we are having...
    Last edited by XXD17; 7th August 2013 at 1:00 PM.
    Draconic Pokemon are King: My Deviant: http://xxd17.deviantart.com

Omega Ruby Team:

Quote Originally Posted by KKS-Lapras View Post
    This, this right here, I've waited for you to say something for over a month now.
    I try to stay out of commenting about things since people take my word as gospel. If I say one thing, many will take it as a hint since I get insider knowledge often so that's why it took so long.

Quote Originally Posted by XXD17 View Post
    It's very simple...something is "girly" if it is stereotypically depicted as being associated with girls of the stereotypical type...it's not simply a look but a concept...the look only helps add to the concept...Barbies are girly, dollhouses are girly, unicorns are girly...they just so happen to be frilly, fluffy, froufrou things...the fact that they appear as such doesn't make them girly...it's the fact that you normally see little girls playing with them or associated with them that does...a prime example are horses or ponies...in the American culture, it's pretty obvious that your average little girl has some sort of fascination with horses and ponies while your average little boy doesn't...hence why ponies are girly even though there is no appearance indicative of such as present in dollhouses and Barbies...the evolution of the MLP was a horrendous mutilation of the already present concept, but when it comes down to it, it's still superficial only...the original concept of a pony's "girliness" still essentially draws from the fact that ponies are often associated with girls rather than boys...I mean, would a scaly python in a tiara and ballroom dress be attractive to your average little girl?

Anyways, there is nothing overtly obvious about xerneas's appearance that suggests that it's girly besides its sparkles...it has antlers, a key trait of male cervids (save caribou)...it's very angular and sharp....however, it is still a deer, something that is associated with femininity...it has rainbows coming off of it as well and it shoots rainbows out of the ground...If you just think about it even a little...Now forget about what xerneas looks like and read a description...."a graceful four-legged herbivorous ungulate (hoofed mammal) that has horns that light up with the colors of the rainbow"...now what do you picture? If raised in a stereotypical western society with a stereotypical western influence and upbringing, it's obvious that the reader should see something "girly"...Now we won't go into the cultural argument since that's an honors thesis all its own...

Now, keep in mind, "girly" doesn't equate to "bad", I'm not trying to make people angry, I'm not arguing that xerneas IS girly, just that it CAN be seen as girly and makes complete sense if it is, and I'm definitely not saying that all the fairies or fairy types pokemon are girly and should be (although the ones revealed so far arguably are)...I'm just trying to explain and clear up a concept that people seem to be misunderstanding...being pink DOESN'T make something girly, having long eyelashes DOESN'T make something girly...but both are common attributes of things that are regarded as such...but the verdict is still determined by the actual item being referred to...look at slowbro, it's pink yet not girly, look at lilligant, it's not pink yet very girly....Also, I'm very bored with this drought we are having...
    Thanks for the inept psycho-analysis. I'm going to touch on the Xerneas aspect first. I do not view deer as feminine, I don't know many people whom do. Female deer, yes, but Xerneas with the antlers takes on a male deer form. Male deer are much more aggressive and will fight with one another and other animals. As to the rainbow lights and attack, they represent life/light, as opposed to death/darkness. I'm sorry, but life and light are not feminine, and the day they become so, just because the light is that of every color from a rainbow, is the day the vast majority of people need to have electrodes pumped directly into their brain, because somewhere along the line something went way wrong.

Also, the "Western Culture" view on what is and is not feminine and what is and is not masculine is utterly stupid. I've lived in the US my entire life, and I'm sorry, with general observations from a young age I could see that the whole boys do this while girls do that "Westernized" view was a load of hogwash. Try living in a house with a single mom and a younger sister, the gender stereo-types all get thrown out the window when the reality of what's important sets in.

I try to stay out of commenting about things since people take my word as gospel. If I say one thing, many will take it as a hint since I get insider knowledge often so that's why it took so long.
    I know you try to stay out of the squabbling a lot of the time, but sometimes, when it comes to something like this, it is nice when you, and occasionally the moderators speak up, because it at least calms down some of the non-sense talk.
    Last edited by KKS-Lapras; 7th August 2013 at 1:10 PM.

Pokemon X Friend Code: 5258-0130-4229 / Electric: Dedenne, Pikachu, Zebstrika

This is just my opinion, if you don't support the main character of the show, why bother watching.

Quote Originally Posted by KKS-Lapras View Post
    Thanks for the inept psycho-analysis. I'm going to touch on the Xerneas aspect first. I do not view deer as feminine, I don't know many people whom do. Female deer, yes, but Xerneas with the antlers takes on a male deer form. Male deer are much more aggressive and will fight with one another and other animals. As to the rainbow lights and attack, they represent life/light, as opposed to death/darkness. I'm sorry, but life and light are not feminine, and the day they become so, just because the light is that of every color from a rainbow, is the day the vast majority of people need to have electrodes pumped directly into their brain, because somewhere along the line something went way wrong.

Also, the "Western Culture" view on what is and is not feminine and what is and is not masculine is utterly stupid. I've lived in the US my entire life, and I'm sorry, with general observations from a young age I could see that the whole boys do this while girls do that "Westernized" view was a load of hogwash. Try living in a house with a single mom and a younger sister, the gender stereo-types all get thrown out the window when the reality of what's important sets in.

Thank you. I appreciate your understanding as well as your views....but remember not to commit a fallacy by judging the pieces independently...As I have said, the characteristics of an object doesn't make it what it is...we are judging xerneas and only xerneas...not the concepts that make up xerneas...the concepts are simply pieces used to build up the final picture...a rainbow by itself is only weakly feminine as are sparkles as they can represent many different things depending on context...a deer by itself is more feminine (deer are culturally associated with female entities...the most obvious being Artemis) but even that is not enough to call it feminine and definitely not girly...but if you put it all together...just replace the deer with another similar hoofed mammal, one that is majestic and graceful...cattle pigs, tapirs, camelids, sheep and goats are out of the question, but the horse fits the bill...give it some headgear and make it a unicorn so it's closer to a deer and viola...a sparkly unicorn that shines with the colors of the rainbow...now, that is girly...once again, I'm not saying that xerneas IS girly but rather there is a very obvious way of looking at it that makes it out to be...

Also, I agree, the stereotypical western culture is a load of BS...but that's not what we are arguing lol...everything needs a standard to be based off of and the one to use in this situation is the stereotypical western upbringing...from what I can see, your family was definitely not stereotypical lol...

See, why can't arguments be more like this, something that is intellectual where the goal is to understand the opposing view rather than some attempt to debunk the opposition and prove that your own point is the only truth....
    Last edited by XXD17; 7th August 2013 at 1:44 PM.
    Draconic Pokemon are King: My Deviant: http://xxd17.deviantart.com

Omega Ruby Team:

Quote Originally Posted by sunyshore.com View Post
    wait....some people here think xerneas is "girly"?? what the heck? why are you all so determined to slap this label onto fairy type? there is... nothing "girly" or feminine about xerneas. that sharply angled face looks quite youthfully masculine to me. it also looks nothing like an MLP pony -- where did that come from?
    I've never said this but since when Xerneas was revealed that I see it as feminine Pokémon (obviously genderless) way before knowing about the new Fairy type. And I'm not making a connection between Feminine and Fairy... Just stating that to me Xerneas gives feminine vibes.

If I recall correctly all deer belong to the king, so Xerneas as a jewel encrusted stag kind of works.

I would love a fairy move like this

Ring Dance
    PP: 5
    Description: The user creates a ring around the field that heals the next Pokemon you switch in by 1/16th of their health, it can be stacked 3 times so can heal up to 1/4 of HP (doesn't effect opponent's Pokemon, and doesn't effect your own Dragon, Steel, Fighting and Dark Pokemon so they won't gain health if you switch them in)

Quote Originally Posted by Royal_Qeca View Post
    I've never said this but since when Xerneas was revealed that I see it as feminine Pokémon (obviously genderless) way before knowing about the new Fairy type. And I'm not making a connection between Feminine and Fairy... Just stating that to me Xerneas gives feminine vibes.
    I don't see anything feminine about Xerneas. Does do not even have antlers, but maybe those colors on them gave you that feeling. Well, I can't blame you, when I see Xerneas I immediately think about Bambi, so everyone has diferent options about what he/she sees.
    Imagine with all your Mind. Believe with all your Heart. Achieve with all your Might.

“You said you have a dream... That dream... Make it come true! Make your wonderful dream a reality, and it will become your truth! If anyone can, it's you!” — N

Right now I don't see Fairy as "girly" but more of "cute". With Xerneas being the sole exception.
    Sure, the fairies in folklore are often tricksters and far from cute, but that is not what GF has shown us.
    Pokemon like Marill, Jigglypuff and Swirlix don't seem to have anything magical or mythical about them, they just seem to be Fairy for being cute. (Swirlix is base on a pun, but nothing in the actual Pokemon have anything mythical about it)
    And before anyone labels me for being a sexist for calling "cute" a bad type, the reason I dislike that direction is only because it is way to vague, like if we should have cool and scary as types too.

That is why I really really want GF to show us some more mythical and scarier looking faries soon, so it actually could have been name the magical/mythical type.

Quote Originally Posted by Endless View Post
    Right now I don't see Fairy as "girly" but more of "cute". With Xerneas being the sole exception.
    Sure, the fairies in folklore are often tricksters and far from cute, but that is not what GF has shown us.
    Pokemon like Marill, Jigglypuff and Swirlix don't seem to have anything magical or mythical about them, they just seem to be Fairy for being cute. (Swirlix is base on a pun, but nothing in the actual Pokemon have anything mythical about it)

And before anyone labels me for being a sexist for calling "cute" a bad type, the reason I dislike that direction is only because it is way to vague, like if we should have cool and scary as types too.

That is why I really really want GF to show us some more mythical and scarier looking faries soon, so it actually could have been name the magical/mythical type.
    They will probably have something like that, might not be released straight away and just found in the game. Jigglypuff, Marill and Swirlix may not have anything to do with traditional 'Fairy Lore' as far we know, but that doesn't mean that they can't be Fairy. A pokemon doesn't have to be a perfect reflection or representative of it's origin. Look at Inkay, clearly a squid but it doesn't have to be Water and it's not, It's Dark/Psychic.
    CASUAL REMINDER: I'm Back. Not that anyone cares.

They will probably have something like that, might not be released straight away and just found in the game. Jigglypuff, Marill and Swirlix may not have anything to do with traditional 'Fairy Lore' as far we know, but that doesn't mean that they can't be Fairy. A pokemon doesn't have to be a perfect reflection or representative of it's origin. Look at Inkay, clearly a squid but it doesn't have to be Water and it's not, It's Dark/Psychic.
    I see Malimar as more of the opposite, it has the potential for many typings, both, dark, water and psychic fit it well (being a hypnosis based manipulator squid). Marill really doesn't have anything that screams fairy to me.
    So you could say I have more of a problem with Pokemon who has a type that is not reflected, than Pokemon who should reflect a type,but lack the type.

Quote Originally Posted by Endless View Post
    I see Malimar as more of the opposite, it has the potential for many typings, both, dark, water and psychic fit it well (being a hypnosis based manipulator squid). Marill really doesn't have anything that screams fairy to me.
    So you could say I have more of a problem with Pokemon who has a type that is not reflected, than Pokemon who should reflect a type,but lack the type.
    Ahh, I see that better yeah. Well once we know more about the Fairy type it might be easier to see.
    CASUAL REMINDER: I'm Back. Not that anyone cares.

Ahh, I see that better yeah. Well once we know more about the Fairy type it might be easier to see.
    I agree. It is no real use to discuss what fairies actually are until we know more about what defines a fairy.

Page 180 of 350 FirstFirst ... 80130170176177178179180181182183184190230280 ... LastLast