Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Pokémon Ratings (BW:DA! returns to top 10)

Pokémon will never die, it's as simple as that.

Quote Originally Posted by Caseydia View Post
    So what if Pokémon is higher than it was before? It's because of current fan service. But I would never put Pokémon over One Piece or even some of the others regarding rating just because of that. It always goes up and down depending on what the writers do. However it's sad that the league got the lowest ratings while Da which is nothing but a Kanto hogging filler series.
    The episode that was cited on the first post (the Croconaw episode) wasn't fan service though, which makes its high rating a mystery. I don't know what kids saw in that episode; I personally thought it was all right, but there are better DA fillers episodes than that one imo. This anime's ratings are always weird though; too inconsistent most of the time.

But yassss @ King George slaying the ratings even across the ocean. I had no idea CG was that popular.

Bw ratings are lower than other series.Most of people agree that BW Ash was the weakest compared to other series.Ratings dropped a lot after terrible Unova League ends.Then Ash remembered everything, winning all battles.He even remembered his Charmander's story which happened 15 years ago.Charizard returned because of low BW ratings.We saw Butterfree episode last week.Most of kids don't even know them.They're not marketing this show to only children.

Yeah, but I agree that ratings don't really matter because Gamefreak make awesome Pokemon games for DS, 3DS.
    There is no doubt XY games will sell a lot.Thats why pokemon anime still continues.
    Last edited by Matsuyamakun; 16th June 2013 at 1:48 AM.

If BW is 4.0 I bet XY will sink to 3.5 after the initial newness wears off after it turns out its just more of the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Janovy View Post
    Pokémon will never die, it's as simple as that.
    It really is. Pokemon, unlike most other franchises, has a lot of space to die down in. Pokemon is a massive franchise and it won't just die. It's the same for the games and the anime.
    Last edited by diakyu; 16th June 2013 at 1:45 AM.
    To right the countless wrongs of our day, we shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise. What a wonderful world such would be...

Quote Originally Posted by pokemonsquared View Post
    If BW is 4.0 I bet XY will sink to 3.5 after the initial newness wears off after it turns out its just more of the same.
    Well if the pattern holds true that will be.

This is probably why Ash's newer travel companions aren't as well known or popular as the early ones, ratings show that people were clearly watching the anime much more during Kanto, Johto and AG. If people aren't watching the later seasons as much their viewership is less.

Amazing that AG's ratings in retrospect were fairly good because the fad of pokemon was all but dead by then. May and the Hoenn cast just barely squeezed through while more people were watching.

Truth tea has been served imo. I mean I'm glad that Pokemon is still the highest rated anime on the network, but the ratings will continue to free fall because the plot and structure of the anime never changes, among other reasons. And ratings are important. If the anime can't bring in good ratings, it'll be cancelled and then Nintendo would have to figure out another way to promote the games.

Quote Originally Posted by Charmed View Post
    but the ratings will continue to free fall because the plot and structure of the anime never changes, among other reasons.
    But what you're forgetting is that new fans of Pokemon are always being made. New children start watching the show who are not familiar with the anime's structure. Old fans leave and new fans come to take their place.
    To right the countless wrongs of our day, we shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise. What a wonderful world such would be...

Truth tea has been served imo. I mean I'm glad that Pokemon is still the highest rated anime on the network, but the ratings will continue to free fall because the plot and structure of the anime never changes, among other reasons. And ratings are important. If the anime can't bring in good ratings, it'll be cancelled and then Nintendo would have to figure out another way to promote the games.
    As we've been over repeatedly in this very thread, there are multiple reasons for the dropping ratings, most of which have nothing to do with the content of the show itself.

98% of the teenage population has died smoking pot. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy & paste this in your signature.
    Good old natural selection...

Its nice to see that Pokemon even now after 16 years and despite all mistakes made from writers staff is still enough popular to be sort among top 10 watched anime in Japan. That's pretty good success in itself showing how there are still enough people out there willing to get up early in morning and follow this episodes. Arguably anime is living partially on its older glory too with good chunk of olfer fandom still following or being tuned within episodes from time to time when something raises their interest.
    Such as flux of unexpected revival of iconic, massively popular older things like Charizard, throwback to nostalgic Butterfree, ending with all Ash friends and rivals, Clair etc.

That said i agree with those in this thread who say how regardless of recent good news current formula isn't working perfectly fine when ratings and series popularity are constantly in decline with no real progress of main protagonists constantly regressing in growth, constant change of main characters leaving them unfinished and abandoned eventually and quite scarse continuity and shallow plot not being most optimal way to develop devotedness among viewers and ensure for series to remain successful long time in future. Explaining why empty places left by older fans aren't filled at same speed like they used to be in better, brighter days when show consistently had over 6.0 or 9.0 rating percentage.

Writers aren't doing best they could imo nor same approach can work forever. But than again marketing was always primary focus in pokemon franchise and regardless of show decline, games are still incredibly popular.

So as long games give profit, its safe to say pokemon will continue to prosper and exist. However to have healthy and strong franchise its also desirable that other media like anime lives up to standards other parts of franchise generates which certainly wouldn't and can't hurt only helping in promotion being more successful along with increasing its reputation.
    Last edited by pokemon fan 132; 16th June 2013 at 12:23 PM.

Results of Bandai's Annual Survey On Favorite Character/Series

Japanese toy company Bandai reported this year's result of its annual survey "Who is your children's favorite character?" on its official site on June 20. The survey was conducted among 800 Japanese parents who have 0-12 year old children between April 19 and 22. No surprise again, Takashi Yanase's Anpanman, a hero with an edible head made of "pan" (bread) that is filled with "an" (red bean paste), took the first place in the overall ranking for 12 consecutive years since 2002 when the survey began.

Last year's second winner in the combined ranking, PreCure also defeated Kamen Rider and Pokémon/Pocket Monster again. The long-running magical (fighting, actually?) girl series of course topped the girl's favorite character ranking.

*The question of the survey itself said "character," but the answerers chose the "series" or "title" featuring
    their kids' favorite characters.
    1. "Anpanman" (12.5%)
    2. "PreCure" (10.6%)
    3. Pokémon/Pocket Monster (8.1%)
    4. "Doraemon" (5.6%)
    5. "Kamen Rider" (5.1%)
    6. "Thomas and Friends" (4.3%)
    7. "One Piece" (4.1%)
    8. Super Sentai series (3.1%)
    9. "Rilakkuma" (3.0%)
    10. "Aikatsu!" (2.8%)

Pokémon gets third place overall and the first place in:

Boy's ranking Top 5
    1. Pokémon
    2. Anpanman
    3. Kamen Rider
    4. Doraemon/Thomas and Friends
    5. Super Sentai

So I guess this speaks a lot about Pokémon's popularity.

1. "Anpanman" (12.5%)
    2. "PreCure" (10.6%)
    4. "Doraemon" (5.6%)
    5. "Kamen Rider" (5.1%)
    7. "One Piece" (4.1%)
    9. "Rilakkuma" (3.0%)
    10. "Aikatsu!" (2.8%)

Boy's ranking Top 5
    1. Pokémon
    2. Anpanman
    3. Kamen Rider
    5. Super Sentai

Pokemon is dying dood

1. "Anpanman" (12.5%)
    2. "PreCure" (10.6%)
    4. "Doraemon" (5.6%)
    5. "Kamen Rider" (5.1%)
    7. "One Piece" (4.1%)
    9. "Rilakkuma" (3.0%)
    10. "Aikatsu!" (2.8%)

Boy's ranking Top 5
    1. Pokémon
    2. Anpanman
    3. Kamen Rider
    5. Super Sentai

The games are far better than the anime. It helps a lot.

As stated multiple times with logic, ratings really aren't a big deal. Even then Pokemon's ratings are incredibly good and rating dropping for anime(Naruto, One Piece, etc.) over the years is natural progression among a trend that's perfectly normal. The Pokemon anime is healthy and doing find, trying to find conspiracy theories on why you think it's failing and spreading false info for your own gain is just childish.
    Last edited by Encyclopika; 23rd June 2013 at 6:26 AM.

Pokémon is a pop culture icon! Yay!

Why is this surprising now? We knew this back in 2003 when Pokemon continued after the fact died in Johto.

Quote Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
    Why is this surprising now? We knew this back in 2003 when Pokemon continued after the fact died in Johto.
    Because certain people need reminders that Pokémon is still far from dying and this here is a strong reminder.

Because certain people need reminders that Pokémon is still far from dying and this here is a strong reminder.
    Pokémon would still survive even if the numbers were really low because the main series games consistently sell over 10 million copies.

Quote Originally Posted by Pokemaniac24 View Post
    Pokémon would still survive even if the numbers were really low because the main series games consistently sell over 10 million copies.
    Which makes me question why people claim Pokémon is having super low ratings and stuff. :/

Which makes me question why people claim Pokémon is having super low ratings and stuff. :/
    BS reasons, I have no clue.

If it makes the Top 10 every week, people really shouldn't worry. It's like the argument people make with American Idol. Yeah, it lost several million viewers but it's still in the Top 10 every week. You could make the same argument with Pokémon.

The games are far better than the anime. It helps a lot.
    That's true too, but given that the survey was hosted by Bandai (a toy company), I think it's obvious that the kids who voted did so with Pokemon toys in mind. So it doesn't really prove much about the show's popularity. It seems like a reach to say that Bandai's survey is more relevant than the show's ratings.

Quote Originally Posted by Pokemaniac24 View Post
    If it makes the Top 10 every week, people really shouldn't worry. It's like the argument people make with American Idol. Yeah, it lost several million viewers but it's still in the Top 10 every week. You could make the same argument with Pokémon.
    Except Pokemon doesn't make the top ten every week, hence the OP's excitement that Pokemon returned to the top ten after it missed out for a month.

By the way, I'm not sure that the American rating system is the same as the one used in Japan.
    Last edited by Lorde; 21st June 2013 at 1:10 AM.

By the way, I'm not sure that the American rating system is the same as the one used in Japan.
    Even Top 20 is good for a show that's been on as long as Pokémon. A show like The Simpsons can't brag about that.

I don't know how the ratings system work either, but the point I am making is that American Idol and Pokémon were both behemoths at one time and even though they lost viewers, they are both doing extremely well. American Idol, I felt was a good comparison.

http://sonofthebronx.blogspot.com/

This is a great site I found to show how Pokémon is doing in the U.S. Pokémon has a much greater chance of getting cancelled on CN before it gets cancelled in Japan honestly.
    Last edited by Pokemaniac24; 20th June 2013 at 9:30 PM.

This are the causes of why the ratings has dropped too much in Best Wishes related to poast sagas. Please, I don't want complaining even if some things that I say could be complaints about Best Wishes.
    -For the ratings of Da: doing a filler saga at the end with no plot whatsever. No casuality that the bad ratings started when DA was announced.
    -The extremely quick pacing of BW has a effect on the series and it appears to be negative because the series end too early.
    -Ash's reset at the start of BW. It was too heavy. Remember, there are kids of 8, 9, 10 years that in two weeks Ash goes from defeating legendaries to being a rookie again.
    -Changing TR personality from funny to serious The DP personality wasn't the best and they should be more serious. But there is a difference in having seriousness and another is doing big missions with TR executives. and the boss. Olde fans could like but newer fans aren't. And less in the spam of two weeks.
    -The banning of TR vs TP: people were hyped from those episodses and suddenly, out. They are waiting, waiting to see the episodes and they didn't, didn't air, air. Remember that the Plasma episodes was a very hyped episode of the franchise that we don't see them. Also, the show was changing schedules various times through the month (remember that people in Japan used to know every episode with antellation).
    -Lack of fanservice of the main girl. It's difficult to Iris to do fanservice with her. For me, is too kiddy that I have issues with it. The other femeale character had fanservice in them, and althjough they supposed to be 10o, they don't look 10 for me (I see comparison of Dawn and Iris from the Onix episode and except in height Dawn looks 12 (like Platinum age) and Iris loos 10). That explains why the writers don't want that Iris go into a swimsuit, for example. It's more minor for children.
    -Lack of a role for the female audience. A girly role give possibilities to attract the female audience. Iris doesn't attract the audience like May and Dawn did.
    -The League. I don't meed to explain why this could be a cause of this.
    -The team being in stand-by right now with no changes. I wonder if the wroiters has plans to skipe episodes in some TPCi countries because the team is really boring right now with no changes.
    -And the fact that the series has to be like a rebbot. I'm almost sure that this problem are affecting ratings. Because remember that because the Bw games, everything in this series should have no continuity with DP and should be like iof the series has just started. uThese feeling caused peoiople to stop watching.

Given the situation, I list what I see and what I don't see. At least, until Pokemon Fan.
    I see:
    -Heavy proimotion of XY. Alexa being in the last episodes of BW is a big step in that direction.
    -Doing things only for the sake of marketing. Transform the show into a toy market to promote the merchandise.
    -(Already happened). Reverting Team Rocket back into their funny mode.
    -Don't try to reset Ash again. Given the facts, It's almost guaranteed that Ash won't be reset for XY.

I see but depends of Game Freak approve, is too risky. However, if the anime does it, is doing the biggest ratings stunt.
    -Older characters that they left before return for the XY saga as a expense of new characters (or not, quartet) because that said chartacter is too popularl. Is a safe value to the writers to bring a popular character rather than a unknown character. When thatg character has left more recently and they are doiung with the promotion more rare things between the leave and the return, more possibilities of return. And no, Misty isn't the first.

What I don't see happening with ratings of 3s.
    -Doing exactly like BW in everything. They aren't repeating a fail.
    -Booting Ash and Pikachu. When things are worse, Ash/Pikachu keeps the show in air, Make leave those iconic characters is the worst decidion ever made.
    -For the moment and wiuth those ratings, i don't see the show getting cancelled until 2015, at least. And specially if this show is in the Top 3 of TV Tokyo most rated anime shows.

I want to give out this page:
    wiki.xn--rckteqa2e.com/wiki/アニメのサブタイトル一覧
    Go carefully, and compare ratings. You will see the difference betyween DP and BW.

Who cares? Pokémon is still super popular in Japan.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast