Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Pokémon Ratings (BW:DA! returns to top 10)

Quote Originally Posted by Janovy View Post
    Who cares? Pokémon is still super popular in Japan.
    Not only in Japan. Around all the world. And honestly I don't care about ratings and whatnot. I judge by the quality, not by the popularity.
    MY MAIN FANFICS

Super Smash Bros Clash: 6 chapters, ongoing | Pokémon Best Wishes Reloaded: 3 episodes, ongoing

Self-made claimer of AntennaShipping {Meguri the Moogle (Original Character / Final Fantasy) x Captain Olimar (Pikmin)}
    and SteakShipping {Ness (MOTHER 2 / Earthbound) x Doremi (Ojamajo Doremi)}

Quote Originally Posted by Pokemaniac24 View Post
    http://sonofthebronx.blogspot.com/

This is a great site I found to show how Pokémon is doing in the U.S. Pokémon has a much greater chance of getting cancelled on CN before it gets cancelled in Japan honestly.
    I guess I've been lied to then, because I was told that Pokemon was the highest rated anime in the United States. But those figures don't lie. I mean even some Tom & Jerry re-runs got better ratings than Pokemon, although I suppose it's not a fair comparison given that Tom & Jerry has been on air for like half a century and is the epitome of an iconic animated program. But this is still interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by fer92 View Post
    I want to give out this page:
    wiki.xn--rckteqa2e.com/wiki/アニメのサブタイトル一覧
    Go carefully, and compare ratings. You will see the difference betyween DP and BW.
    I agree with everything else that you said, and even though you have receipts to back up your claim about BW having lower ratings than DP, I don't think those ratings will convince anyone. I mean whenever I point out the same thing I usually get responses like "the anime's ratings are always falling," which is ironic given that it's usually the same people who defend the anime by claiming that it's doing fine. Well if it's fine, then why do the ratings keep falling with each consecutive saga? I don't understand.

Quote Originally Posted by Charmed View Post
    I agree with everything else that you said, and even though you have receipts to back up your claim about BW having lower ratings than DP, I don't think those ratings will convince anyone. I mean whenever I point out the same thing I usually get responses like "the anime's ratings are always falling," which is ironic given that it's usually the same people who defend the anime by claiming that it's doing fine. Well if it's fine, then why do the ratings keep falling with each consecutive saga? I don't understand.
    Check out my previous post which contains the receipt proving that Pokémon anime is one of the most popular anime series in Japan.

At this point, ratings really don't matter - for all we know, the ratings might go up in XY - who knows.

As has already been explained, people watch less broadcast TV in general today than they did 4 years ago. And much less than they did 8 years ago, let alone 16.

The show isn't going anywhere. Ratings don't matter for series like these, their purpose is to advertise merchandise. Dragonball Kai got very high ratings, up there with One Piece, but was canceled for being a financial failure - people may have tuned in to watch the series live, but they didn't run out and buy Dragonball toys afterwards like they were expected to.

And this isn't even taking into account that recording the show and watching it later - a common practice these days - won't affect ratings. If you don't watch the show live as it airs, you don't count as watching.
    Last edited by Dephender; 21st June 2013 at 11:33 PM.

Ratings matter, it helps promoting games, toys, merchandising, etc. Saying it does not matter AT ALL it's going too far, then why make the anime that requires $$$ they don't do things for waste, it's all business, guys.

Fer92 made some good points and I think the writers are taking notes, the Pokémon anime has never been before a full month out of the top 10 most watched anime in its 16 year run.

I see a drastic change coming in X & Y anime, I think it'll will revert back to be a plot-driven story like D&P was, we'll have to wait and see anyway..

Quote Originally Posted by RickHoenn View Post
    Ratings matter, it helps promoting games, toys, merchandising, etc. Saying it does not matter AT ALL it's going too far, then why make the anime that requires $$$ they don't do things for waste, it's all business, guys.

Fer92 made some good points and I think the writers are taking notes, the Pokémon anime has never been before a full month out of the top 10 most watched anime in its 16 year run.

I see a drastic change coming in X & Y anime, I think it'll will revert back to be a plot-driven story like D&P was, we'll have to wait and see anyway..
    Pokemon's storyline doesn't change its ratings, the amount of advertisement it gets does. They could make the best written Pokemon series ever in XY and that wouldn't change the ratings trend. And no, they really don't matter. TV TOKYO's main concern isn't commercial money, it's merchandising rights they get at as a first party broadcaster of Pokemon anime.

Da is in top 10 again because of Team Rocket!

Am I the only one that thinks that the ratings have barely any relevance to the plot whatsoever and people are exaggerating how 'the ratings are going up because of ..." or they're going down because of... . I won't deny that Charizard or Butterfree is a possible fanservice device, but to be honest, Fairy Tail uses a lot of fanservice devices, and is it going poorly?

IMO I think the ratings are only going up because of possibly summer vacation? They have their summer vacation around now or July IIRC.

AND OMG GO CONAN GO CONAN!!!! <3

Credits to Sworn Metalhead

ASB Squad

Quote Originally Posted by RickHoenn View Post

I agree. I'm fairly certain that the network and/or studio makes less money if less people watch the show, so BW's low ratings must be hitting them hard imo. I really hope something changes in the next saga so that the ratings steadily climb, but I can't see the writers changing their formula. I mean it's obviously not working, but they probably can't be bothered to make alterations. It's sad, but I think they'll continue doing things the old fashioned way until they're forced to end the show. They just can't seem to adapt to the times.

I'm pretty sure the sales provide them with a plenty of money, otherwise they wouldn't be advertising the games, plushies, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by OceanicLanturn View Post
    Am I the only one that thinks that the ratings have barely any relevance to the plot whatsoever and people are exaggerating how 'the ratings are going up because of ..." or they're going down because of... . I won't deny that Charizard or Butterfree is a possible fanservice device, but to be honest, Fairy Tail uses a lot of fanservice devices, and is it going poorly?

IMO I think the ratings are only going up because of possibly summer vacation? They have their summer vacation around now or July IIRC.

AND OMG GO CONAN GO CONAN!!!! <3
    Yes. Yes. People seem averse to considering all the factors when they can just latch their favorite one and use it as a platform for b*tching. But what's new?

98% of the teenage population has died smoking pot. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy & paste this in your signature.
    Good old natural selection...

Quote Originally Posted by Cresselia92 View Post
    Not only in Japan. Around all the world. And honestly I don't care about ratings and whatnot. I judge by the quality, not by the popularity.
    I agree. And ratings certainly don't equal quality.

Otherwise that would mean the new SpongeBob is the best children's cartoon on TV......
    Last edited by Pokemaniac24; 22nd June 2013 at 11:01 PM.

I agree. I'm fairly certain that the network and/or studio makes less money if less people watch the show, so BW's low ratings must be hitting them hard imo.
    No, those ratings are still incredibly good by today's standards of what a TV Network expects from a 22-minute children's show and it's still one of the highest rated on TV TOKYO. Ratings generate advertisement money and nothing else really, as said as much ad money Pokemon makes the main aim of TV TOKYO is to capitalize on the merchandising rights that they get as the first-party television provider of Pokemon.

I really hope something changes in the next saga so that the ratings steadily climb, but I can't see the writers changing their formula. I mean it's obviously not working, but they probably can't be bothered to make alterations. It's sad, but I think they'll continue doing things the old fashioned way until they're forced to end the show. They just can't seem to adapt to the times.
    Those things in the script, the writing, the quality of the content don't impact ratings. Advertisement of specific episodes do, ratings otherwise hardly change in any regard when it comes the writing of the show. That's just how it is.

I always knew the show would tumble down some day but its really sad that the ratings just keep going under like this. Pokemon used to be a force to be reckoned with but its dying a slow and painful death smh. I'll always have memorys of the good episodes tho. So that'll keep the anime alive in my mind even when the real thing gets canceled or ends which I'm guessing is gonna be sooner and not later.

Quote Originally Posted by Luke Lucario View Post
    I always knew the show would tumble down some day but its really sad that the ratings just keep going under like this. Pokemon used to be a force to be reckoned with but its dying a slow and painful death smh. I'll always have memorys of the good episodes tho. So that'll keep the anime alive in my mind even when the real thing gets canceled or ends which I'm guessing is gonna be sooner and not later.
    Did you even read a single post in this thread? The anime is NOT dying.

Wow the show is barely hangin in there. I'm glad that it went back into the Top 10 but I'm still worried cuz it missed out for 4 weeks. Has that ever happened before? I was always told that Pokemon was at the peak of popularity but I guess not. Only the games are keeping Pokemon alive at this point

Quote Originally Posted by Asuka View Post
    Wow the show is barely hangin in there. I'm glad that it went back into the Top 10 but I'm still worried cuz it missed out for 4 weeks. Has that ever happened before? I was always told that Pokemon was at the peak of popularity but I guess not. Only the games are keeping Pokemon alive at this point
    It didn't miss out for 4 weeks, what are you talking about?

Quote Originally Posted by Luke Lucario View Post
    *Cut to 20 years when there is still a Pokémon anime airing*

What is going on? Is there something I don't know? Since when is the anime dying?

The anime will never die as long as the games continue to produce loads of cash. The show is doing just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Asuka View Post
    I'm not sure if the anime has missed the top ten before, but even if it has, most people would downplay it and probably blame Golden Week or some other holiday for the bad ratings like they usually do.

Quote Originally Posted by Pokemaniac24 View Post
    *Cut to 20 years when there is still a Pokémon anime airing*
    I think the real question is would people really be interested in watching the same thing for 20 years? I honestly think that the anime has to change in order for it to keep a large audience. The writers need to adapt to current trends instead of repeating tired plot points every other episode. At this point I welcome any change we can get.

But I have another pertinent question: What does 4,0 mean anyway?

I think the real question is would people really be interested in watching the same thing for 20 years? I honestly think that the anime has to change in order for it to keep a large audience. The writers need to adapt to current trends instead of repeating tired plot points every other episode. At this point I welcome any change we can get.

I think a reboot is going to come someday but it won't be for a few more decades.

Quote Originally Posted by Janovy View Post
    It didn't miss out for 4 weeks, what are you talking about?
    Decolora Adventure:

Farewell, Isshu! Setting Sail Once Again!! (April 25, 2013): -
    The Dangerously Sweet Honey! (May 2, 2013): 3,1 (#10)
    Sommelier Detective Dent! The Locked Room of the Ocean! (May 9, 2013): -
    Goodbye Mijumaru!? The Path to Being Hotachi King (May 16, 2013): -
    Phantom Island! The Zoroark in the Fog! (May 23, 2013): -
    Rotom VS Dr. Okido! (May 30, 2013): -
    The Pirate Kings of the Decolora Archipelago! (June 6, 2013): 4,0 (#9)

The anime missed the top 10 for 4 consecutive weeks but I agree it's kinda crazy to say the anime is dying.

I wish Anime News Network would provide for at least a top 20 but that info leaks once in a blue moon..
    Last edited by RickHoenn; 23rd June 2013 at 12:28 AM.

The anime will die only when the games will die, and since those are still best-sellers I doubt the anime will vanish anytime soon.
    MY MAIN FANFICS

Super Smash Bros Clash: 6 chapters, ongoing | Pokémon Best Wishes Reloaded: 3 episodes, ongoing

Self-made claimer of AntennaShipping {Meguri the Moogle (Original Character / Final Fantasy) x Captain Olimar (Pikmin)}
    and SteakShipping {Ness (MOTHER 2 / Earthbound) x Doremi (Ojamajo Doremi)}

How can you claim the ratings are doing badly when you don't even know what 4.0 represents when it comes to reading ratings?

I'm done with this thread in any case.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast