Thread: BroThornKenKrowDeoMoth

Default BroThornKenKrowDeoMoth

If you can figure out what the title means, I will mention how amazing terrible you are in my sig. So, this is a Team I put together in hopes of replaying B2 sometime or something. IGRMT is sort of dead lately I guess, so I won't expect much.

[] Slowbro @ Leftovers
    [] Regenerator
    [] Modest
    [] 252 Hp / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
    • Scald
    • Fire Blast
    • Thunder Wave
    • Ice Beam

I've been hoping to use this guy for a while, he's the perfect balance between Support and Sweeper. Also first part of FWG core since they get darn good snyergy. Scald is mainly used instead of Surf for the Burn chance, which makes even Physical threats to me less prominent. Fire Blast gets dat hit on Ferrothorn and friends, who won't take **** from my other Moves. Thunder Wave is a way to make up for Slowbro's terribad Speed, by slowing down the opponent and Supporting the Team. Ice Beam for dem Dragons I guess.

[] Ferrothorn @ Rocky Helmet
    [] Iron Barbs
    [] Relaxed
    [] 252 Hp / 4 Atk / 252 Def
    • Gyro Ball
    • Leech Seed
    • Protect
    • Power Whip

Ferrothorn, like everyone who has played Competitive knows, is extremely annoying. He only has 2 weaknesses, and plenty of key Resistances to fit in a variety of Teams. Rocky Helmet and Iron Barbs work well in tandem to deplete Hp quickly, and max Def allows me to take extra hits to inflict extra damage as well, and in combination with Leech Seed, I also have access to recovery. Gyro Ball is a STAB, and since Ferrothorn has low Speed, it hits fairly hard. Power Whip woks well for hitting Water Types who resist Gyro Ball. Bulldoze isn't an option as it goes against the idea of Gyro Ball.

[] Blaziken @ Life Orb
    [] Speed Boost
    [] Adamant
    [] 168 Hp / 252 Atk / 88 Spe
    • Blaze Kick
    • Hi Jump Kick
    • Hone Claws
    • Rock Slide

Final part of my FWG core. He definetly isn't the bulkiest thing you'll find out there, but he makes up for it with a powerful HJK and high Speed after one Speed Boost. The EVs let him outspeed positive Jolteon after one Speed Boost, and the rest dumped into Hp for some bulk. I've decided to roll with Hone Claws as it grants me perfect Accuracy for HJK and Blaze Kick, which is very nice. Despite taking longer to set up, tbh the Accuracy boost is more valuable. Rock Slide is used to hit Gyarados, Salamence and Dragonite who I really want SE damage on.

[] Honchkrow @ Life Orb
    [] Moxie
    [] Adamant
    [] 104 Hp / 252 Atk / 152 Spe
    • Brave Bird
    • Superpower
    • Night Slash / Sucker Punch
    • Roost

I know someone will say this overkill, but there is never enough power. The EV Spread is pretty basic, enough Speed to outpace positive base 80's with the rest dumped into bulk. Brave Bird is there as a STAB, preferred to Fly for the raw power, but it also rounds out the Fight + Dark coverage. Superpower, as I've said, forms the Fight + Dark core only resisted by Heracross, Toxicroak and Croagunk who are r@ped by Brave Bird. Night Slash is another kewl STAB, the crit chance and reliability is why I chose it over Sucker Punch, as is the PP. Sucker Punch is another option for picking off fatser Threats so I won't lose all my boosts. Roost heals off all the damage Honchkrow takes from *** r@ping everything.

[] Keldeo @ Leftovers
    [] Justified
    [] Naive
    [] 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
    • Swords Dance
    • Hydro Pump
    • Close Combat
    • Stone Edge

I know, this looks extremely unorthodox, and it is, but with some investement Keldeo and a Swords Dance Keldeo hits hard. Hydro Pump is my choice of STAB as it hits hard right away, and I don't have to worry about Skarmory or other Physical walls. CC is my other STAB which hits hard after one SD, and alongside Stone Edge it gets solid coverage. EV Spread is a basic Mixed Spread, iirc.

[] Venomoth @ Leftovers
    [] Tinted Lens
    [] Modest
    [] 76 Hp / 252 SpA / 180 Spe
    • Quiver Dance
    • Bug Buzz
    • Giga Drain
    • Sleep Powder

Another guy I've wanted to try out. He's an excellent user of Quiver Dance since he has access to Sleep Powder which allows me to acquire multiple boosts. Bug Buzz is my STAB, due to Tinted Lens almost everything is hit for neutral damage which means I don't need to worry about a barren movepool in Venomoth's case. Giga Drain has decent coverage I guess, and it heals off any damage taken which is always nice.

[insert catchy phrase here]
    Last edited by Aura Sensei™; 15th June 2013 at 3:54 PM.

eh, I personally don't like the idea of Bulldoze on Ferrothorn. Especially with a Relaxed Nature and Gyro Ball. Kinda defeats the point there.

also, yay someone else other than me who use a Mixed Keldeo
    (though mine has Aqua Jet and Secret Sword instead of Hydro Pump and Close Combat)

My shinies. Just click the links~

~Shiny Banner 1~
    ~Shiny Banner 2~
    ~Shiny Banner 3~

My shinies are not for trade or cloning.
    Shinies are not listed in order, for example the last shiny on the banner is not always the latest shiny I've obtained.
    Banner 1 made by Light Venusaur, thanks ^_^

I'd go Rock Slide over Night Slash on Blaziken. Otherwise things like Dragonite, Salamence and Gyarados will shut you down completely. Most ghosts and psychics, barring Jellicent and opposing Slowbro, are hit hard enough by Blaziken's Fire STAB anyway. But, at the end of the day I guess it just comes down to what you want to cover.

I don't really think Bulldoze should be considered on Ferrothorn. Negative synergy with Gyro Ball, and all. Better to keep both Gyro Ball and Power Whip.

I'm kinda torn on Honchkrow. The combination of being slow and frail, despite having power and good HP, has always made it an iffy choice for me. But that's more a personal bias than anything. My brain's a little fried right now so it's not like I have a viable alternative anyway. In which case I guess you can disregard this part entirely!
    I make no claim of being perfect or always right. Take everything I say with a grain of salt.

Shine - Can't believe I put Bulldoze as an option :/ I guess it was there to add some coverage, but as you guys have said, it is effectively weakening Gyro Ball.

Draco - Rock Slide it is. Gyarados and Mence have Intimidate as well, so I find myself in need of SE damage on them in the event of encountering one of them.

Honchkrow has a decent amount of Speed and bulk, but like you've said both Defenses and Speed fall below average. I guess I really wanted to use MoxieKrow :]

Thanks guys! OP updated with changes.
    I'm feelin' electric tonight
    Cruising down the coast goin' 'bout 99
    Got my bad baby by my heavenly side
    I know if I go, I'll die happy tonight

Solid team,Aura.I have a couple of suggestions:
    -Sucker Punch is invaluable to Honchkrow if it has any hope of dealing with faster threats.It is much more likely to pull off a sweep this way,and if you predict an opponent setting up or inflicting status on you,you can still retaliate with boosted shots.
    Considering the alternatives you possess,running out of sucker punches won't be the end of the world.It's a good spread,but your moxie boosts will go straight down the drain if something quick and powerful switches in.
    -Blaziken is looking great,but I urge you to give this a shot.Try Hone Claws instead of Sword dance.Knowing that Hi-Jump kick will always hit is brilliant,and also encourages the use of blaze kick over fire punch,a stronger(if normally a slightly inaccurate)fire STAB alternative

Arch - Good point on Sucker Punch. I'll at least put that as an option.

Hone Claws actually sounds great! Sure, I won't get as many boosts, but at least HJK will have perfect accuracy and I can use Blaze Kick. I like that idea.

Thanks. OP updated.

I personally love Hasty NastyPlot Honchkrow. It's a neat alternative.

Honchkrow@Leftovers
    Hasty Nature
    Moxie
    ~ Nasty Plot
    ~ Dark Pulse
    ~ Heat Wave
    ~ Superpower

I guess Moxie could be used to mitigate Superpower's Atk drops? It'll be a boosted Superpower more often than not because it'll rarely get used so that's a plus?

The thing is 3/4 of my Sweepers already use setup, so I figured Honchkrow could just fire off attacks for boosts. Too much setup is boring imo, so I'd like to stay away from a fourth setup Sweeper if possible. Though, NPMixKrow is a solid option as well.

Thanks Steph.

Mixed Keldeo doesn't sound good, especially when you can hit on the physical side with Secret Sword off your much stronger special attack stat to begin with. If you really want to setup, Calm Mind is still an option. I guess ingame it might work, but Keldeo won't hurt with physical attacks unless you setup and being forced to SD on every single battle is kind of annoying. Also, Stone Edge, Close Combat and Hydro Pump means you will have some seirous PP troubles unless you manage to PP max everything. And lastly, setting up only to have Stone Miss do what it's best at means you basically wasted two turns doing nothing.

Hone Claws over Swords Dance is nice ingame, though you could always use a Zoom Lens (or whatever Lens item boosts your accuracy) with SD to hit harder than Life Orb + Hone Claws after one turn of setup, get roughly the same accuracy, and eliminate the Life Orb recoil.

I don't see much in your team that benefits from having an opponent paralyzed (for Ferrothorn, it's counterproductive, Keledo's fast, Venomoth/Blaziken boost their speed), not to mention you already have Scald on your Slowbro. Try Toxic, or Slack Off, even Trick Room to play around with Ferrothorn. Psyshock is an option you should consider as well.

Leftovers over Life Orb on Honchkrow. Brave Bird gets you tons of recoil already, and once you get a Moxie boost you don't really need all that power to plow through everything. With Leftovers, Sub could be a nice option as well since it's very easy to predict when you're gonna get statused (first example coming to my mind is Cofagrigus at the elite 4)

Unless you really like stalling turns ingame with Protect, Bulldoze actually IS a good option on Ferrothorn. It's weak, but hits both Steel and Fire types (both of which resist your dual STAB) for super-effective damage, so as a coverage move, it is pretty solid. The whole "it powers down Gyro Ball" argument makes no sense, the AI doesn't switch so you'll never end up powering down your GB unless you misclick or something.

As for Venomoth, I suggest you use Psychic as combined with Bug Buzz, there's nothing that quad resists it meaning that will Tinted Lens you will always do at least neutral damage.

I like it overall (besides SD Keldeo D: ) hope suggestions helped
    3DS Friend Code: 0361 7317 6761
    My friend list is currently full, sorry!