Thread: Community POTW #129

Hybrid View

Default Community POTW #129

Time for the next Pokémon of the Week, and this week, as Summer hits on Friday, the RNG has spat up a decent Pokémon

It's Vanilluxe, the Pokémon with the most beloved design.

It's capable of a decent amount, and has a sufficient movepool

http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-bw/584.shtml

Go nuts

yay, I got here before the other guy :P

Will add mine when I get the chance
    HandsomeNick, playing since Gen I
    I can offer Pokerus
    White DWFs:

Black 2 DWFs:

White FC: 0347 8489 6733
    Black 2 FC: (will add it later)

Shinies:
    Adamant with Flare Blitz and Close Combat - approx. 206 MM eggs (June 11, 2013)

Ability: Ice Body
    Item: Leftovers
    Moves: Blizzard, Flash Cannon, Autotomize, Frost Breath
        Spoiler:- Favourite Pokemon:

Finally Lucario Fan didn't get the first post.

Anyway Vanniluxe is a Pokémon hated both asthestically and competitive wise. Most will say "oh it's Ice Cream, too uncreative, GF haz run out of ideas", when it can be clearly be said that its just icicles with the concept of desert mixed in.

So I guess I'll throw in a set:

Deserted in NU!

Vanniluxe@Expert Belt
    Timid/Modest
    Ice Body
    EVs: 252 Speed 252 Sp Attack 4 HP
    Automatize or whatever it's called
    Ice Beam
    Hidden Power Fire/Ground
    Water Pulse..

Honestly Vanniluxe has a terrible movepool, not much going on for the ice cream since their are better Ice types out their. It has a nice stat layout but the typing and movepool kills it.

You could use Icicle Spear for Sub breaking but that is for the Other Options.

Ability: Ice body
    Item: Life orb
    Moves: Automatize, ice beam/blizzard/weather ball, hidden power ground, flash cannon
    Ev's: 252 speed, 252 special attack, 4 hp
    Nature: modest
    use automatize and hit stuff until you die. ice beam for non hail teams. If used on a weather team then either blizzard for some extra power or weather ball for more pp. hidden power ground to hit fire and steel types and flash cannon because vaniluxe's offensive movepool is awful

The 6 best pokemon of all time. If you disagree you can and will be factually disproven

Yes! 8D

Vaniluxe @ Leftovers
    Trait: Ice Body
    24 HP / 232 SpA / 252 Spe
    Timid Nature
    ~ Substitute
    ~ Protect
    ~ Blizzard
    ~ Toxic

Careful, this Ice Cream Cone is poisonous. :P The goal of this set is to stall using Hail Damage, STAB Blizzard, and Hail. Leftovers and Ice Body provide recovery. Obviously, use this in a tier where something with Snow Warning is allowed. Like RU.

Being an Ice type is a death sentence. Not only are you weak to fire, fighting, steel, and rock, but you take heavy damage from Stealth Rock. Not only that, ice has only one resistance, and that is to ice itself. Combine that with a tiny movepool and you have a disaster. That's all there is to it. If you really want to use an ice type, look at Kyurem, Abomasnow, Weavile, Froslass, Cryogonal, Cloyster, or Mamoswine. Lower tier? Try Lapras, Walrein, Glaceon, Beartic, Jynx, or Rotom-F. Lower tier does make Vanilluxe more usable, but not while Lapras and Jynx are hanging around.
    I claim Buizel.

Vanilluxe. In VGC where fire, ice, rock, steel and fighting moves are common, vanilluxe is... Quite amazing actually. where you see an ice cream, I see a powerful pokemon. Yeah, ice is a pretty bad defencive type, but Vanilluxe actually shines in defeating alot of pokemon weak to ice moves. Substitute thundurus and garchomp are common, and this thing can do serious damage to opponents. You may be thinking about blizzard spam, or another special based set, but a physical set is quite good, though the lack of physical moves is annoying. Well, here is my set:

Death by Dairy
    Snowstorm (Vanilluxe) @ Chople Berry
    Level: 50
    EVs: 252 HP / 84 Atk / 84 Def / 84 SDef / 4 Spd
    Adamant Nature
    - Icicle Spear
    - Ice Shard
    - Explosion
    - Protect

The EVs look a little odd, but it can actually survive alot with that spread, with the rest dumped in speed and attack. Icicle spear lets it go through substitute and sashes like a hot knife through butter. Ice shard kills off opponents who are left in KOing range. When you want to cause damage, and bring another mon in unscathed, Explosion can cause heavy damage, and then you mop up. Protect is manditory in VGC. Chople to stop fighting types.

Oh, and to those who think I'm lying, look here: http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/nu...ge-vgc13-96199

Stats:
    -HP - Marginally-Above Average - Base 71 isn't the best, especially for an Ice Type.
    -Attack - Good-bordering-Great - Base 95 can be quite useable.
    -Defense - Above Average - Base 85 could be better considering the Ice Type, but it's better than Glalie's.
    -Sp.Atk - Great - Base 110 is pretty...*sunglasses*...cool...
    -Sp.Def - Good-bordering-Great - Base 95 can help out where Base 85 Defense cannot, but you still have issues from your Type
    -Speed - Dead Zone - Base 79 puts you just below non-Trick Room use Speed. Weak Armor can help, but remember that you are as fragile as an actual ice cream cone...

Abilities:
    -Ice Body - Pretty nice for Hail Teams, but useless otherwise.
    -Weak Armor - Good for boosting your Speed, but your fragility makes it almost equally useless.

Movepool:
    -Physical - While very shallow, you have some decent options - namely, Ice Shard, Icicle Spear, Avalanche, and Explosion.
    -Special - Deep, but few types to choose from without Hidden Power or Weather Ball.
    -Status - The biggest part of the Movepool, but also lacking in potential. You do have Toxic, Autotomize, Light Screen, and Iron Defense, though.
    Pokémon X Friend Safari: Snover, Bergmite, Piloswine.

Ever see a Corsola 1-shot an Uber? Arceus bless Pokemon Stadium 2...
    WARNING: Strong profanity and extreme hilarity in this video. Viewer discretion and pointing-and-laughing advised.

I really like Vanilluxe's design, and I think its stats are pretty good, although a little higher Speed would have been nice. Basically as everyone has said, what is holding it back is its single Ice type and its minimal movepool.

I Scream, You Scream, We All Scream at Vanilluxe
    Vanilluxe @ Life Orb/Choice Scarf
    EVs: 4 HP/252 SAtk/252 Spd
    Modest (+SAtk, - Atk)/Timid (+Spd, -Atk)
    -Blizzard/Ice Beam
    -Hidden Power Ground/Fire
    -Water Pulse/Ice Shard/Explosion/Automize
    -Water Pulse/Ice Shard/Explosion/Automize
    Again, this is much more effective in a snowstorm. Maybe our conical friend will get lucky in Gen VI and get something that will make it more usable...

Friend Code: 2492-4126-1302
    Friend Safari: Krabby, Floatzel, Frogadier

Sapphire Nuzlocke - COMPLETE!
    Team:
    Dead:

Soulsilver Nuzlocke - COMPLETE!
    Team: **
    Dead:

Platinum Nuzlocke
    Team:
    Dead:

Ice Body w/ Leftovers/Life Orb
    Modest w/ 252 Sp attack, 252 Defense, 6 HP
    Hail
    Ice Beam/Blizzard
    Flash Cannon/HP [Dark/Rock/Fire/Flying/Ghost]
    Water Pulse

Countering-NU
    High Sp Defense with Fire/Fighting/Rock/Steel-type moves like Flareon.
    Got Pokémon X. Intend to get either Omega Ruby or Alpha Sapphire.
    No info about my Friend Safari.
    Vivillon Pattern: Polar
    Looking for nicknamed, shiny, and/or have a hidden ability in GTS and may battle at anytime.
    If interested, send a private message with your ID #.

The Theebay Crusher
    @Leftovers
    Modest
    Ice Body
    252Spa/252Spe/4Spdef
    Automize
    Blizzard
    Flash cannon
    Hidden power [Fire]/[Electic]

This set is fairly decent in UU when i play. Automize is to allow van to have a huge speed advantage while abusing is large spa stat. Blizzard stab and with the obvious hail support makes van a deadly threat. Flash cannon is to deal with rock and ice types. Hp fire/electric is purely for coverage

Partners:

Obviously Abomasnow. In OU heatran for flash fire. In UU Chandleure will fill that role. And a spinner aswell to deal with stealth rocks.

Spoiler:- for Theebay:
    Last edited by Eliteknight; 16th June 2013 at 8:07 PM.

Credits to Sworn for the Banner, buttons to astral shadow, Drac Buttons to EG

Quote Originally Posted by Eliteknight View Post
    The Theebay Crusher
    @Leftovers
    Modest
    Ice Body
    252Spa/252Spe/4Spdef
    Automize
    Blizzard
    Flash cannon

This set is fairly decent in UU when i play. Automize is to allow van to have a huge speed advantage while abusing is large spa stat. Blizzard stab and with the obvious hail support makes van a deadly threat. Flash cannon is to deal with rock and ice types. Hp fire/electric is purely for coverage

Partners:

Obviously Abomasnow. In OU heatran for flash fire. In UU Chandleure will fill that role. And a spinner aswell to deal with stealth rocks.

This made my day.
    If the dark is just a thought, then the light is in your mind
    The lies we tell ourselves ruin the world with time
    Did you feel the way I felt?
    Did you kneel the way I knelt?
    Or did you look up and stare, waiting for your acts of prayer?
    Oh, won't you listen to reason?

10 hour ear orgasm, courtesy of Gamefreak

You can shoot my body full of holes but ya can't kill the spirit of Rock N' Roll, baby! \m/

The Theebay Crusher
    @Leftovers
    Modest
    Ice Body
    252Spa/252Spe/4Spdef
    Automize
    Blizzard
    Flash cannon

Partners:

This post is just great.
    THIS IS FOR MY NINTENDO 3DS HANDHELD SYSTEM 2664-2984-6619
    THIS IS FOR MY POKEMON WHITE VIDEO GAME Mike-0218-6703-3716

The Theebay Crusher
    @Leftovers
    Modest
    Ice Body
    252Spa/252Spe/4Spdef
    Automize
    Blizzard
    Flash cannon

Partners:

myles sucks

Click my Sig to go to our xat!!!

credit to EG and extroph

Overview:
    I know a lot of people who hate Vanilluxe for its design. Personally, my beef with Vanilluxe comes down to its competitive aspects. It actually has pretty solid stats. Base 110 Sp. Attack is pretty good, while 79 Speed is not horrible (though its slightly lacking). Defensively, it has 71/85/95 stats, which is pretty decent. So what is the difficulty using Vanilluxe. As many people know and have stated, Ice is an absolute terrible type defensively (1 resistance with 4 weaknesses, 3 of which are common, plus a Stealth Rock weakness), so it's decent bulk is not helpful. Offensively, it has a horrible movepool, as it has basically no coverage. It's abilities aren't very great either. No offense to those who like Vanilluxe, but other Ice-types are generally better in almost every case. Still, you can try it and see if the ice cream float will take down the opposing team, since it does have some capacity to do so.

Abilities:
    Ice Body: Restores 1/16 of Vanilluxe's max HP every turn when the weather is Hail. Decent for "good" defensive Ice-types, but not so much with Vanilluxe.
    Weak Armor: When Vanilluxe is hit by a physical move, its Defense is lowered by one stage, while its Speed is raised by one stage. Although Vanilluxe can't really afford to take a hit, this is the best choice is most cases. Plus, Vanilluxe can really use the Speed boosts.

Sets:

Boxing Glove Ice Cream Scoop
    -Autotomize
    -Ice Beam
    -Hidden Power [Ground]
    -Flash Cannon
    Item: Life Orb
    Ability: Weak Armor
    Nature: Modest (+ Sp. Attack, - Attack)
    EVs: 4 HP, 252 Sp. Attack, 252 Speed

This seems to be about as good as it gets. Autotomize main usage is that it raises Vanilluxe's Speed by two stages, which really helps it hit first most of the time. Ice Beam gets Same-Type-Attack-Bonus, and with a good base 110 Sp. Attack, it will do damage. Hidden Power Ground and Flash Cannon are mostly coverage/filler, with Ground being chosen to get the most neutral coverage with Ice Beam and Flash Cannon.

Life Orb gives Vanilluxe a nice power boost at the cost of 10% of its max HP, while Weak Armor tries to get some Speed boosts if Autotomize isn't convenient or something. The nature and EVs max out Vanilluxe's power and also tries to give it Speed. It is possible to remove some of the Speed EVs and put them into HP to give Vanilluxe more bulk.

Other Options:
    Not much, sadly.
    -Water Pulse is another coverage move, but Autottomize and Water Pulse are illegal together, and Autotomize is significantly more useful.
    -Another Hidden Power type can be used, such as Fighting or something, but Ground is the superior choice.
    -A defensive Substitute + Protect set with Leftovers and Ice Body can be done, but that is better left to other, more "defensive" Ice-types like Glaceon.

Checks and Counters:

Because Vanilluxe is an Ice-type, it will have difficulty taking multiple hits, so going at it with Fire, Fighting, Rock, or Steel-type moves is good. Priority gets past the Speed boosts, especially Mach Punch, Vacuum Wave, and Bullet Punch since they are super-effective. Really good Choice Scarf Pokemon can attempt to outspeed it, or good special walls like Miltank can give Vanilluxe trouble. Finally, all entry hazards will cause major issues, particularly Stealth Rock, so keep those up and Vanilluxe will be much easier to beat.
    Let's face it: ferret-esque Pokemon are the most epic Pokemon ever (to me)!!!!!! Why can't Nintendo make ones that AREN'T NU Pokemon?!? One of these guys in standard would make me quite happy.

Started by jesusfreak94:
    † I am a Christian and proud of it! Copy and paste this if you are too.†

3DS Friend Code: 2921-9186-8386 Pokemon Found: Mienfoo, Throw, Breloom

Brain Freeze

Nature - Modest
    EVs - 252 SP ATK and SP DEF, 4 DEF
    Ability - Weak Armour
    Moves -
    Blizzard/Ice Beam - STAB move; switch for your own needs
    Water Pulse - Handles Fire and Rock Types
    Autotomize/Iron Defense - Raise whatever stat is more important to you
    Ice Shard/ Hidden Power (Psychic/ Flying/ Fighting) - Ice Shard is priority while Hidden Power covers all of the other weaknesses

Default Summer time... or maybe not with this s***** weather

This time we have an Ice-type Pokémon to celebrate Summer... well, in where I live it looks like Autumn.

Yeah, Vanilluxe, one of my favourite Ice-type Pokémon... well, my favourite.
    Used one in my first playthrough in White, its Ice Beam was super useful against Iris (the Gym Leader, NOT the Champion).

1) Has a winning design, it's not everyday we can see an ice cream Pokémon, though three-headed dark dragons made of pure evil are more badass.
    2) Nice offensive stats, 95 in Attack and 110 in Special Attack.
    3) Decent defenses (71/85/95)...
    4) Can/could beat Dragons on their own, at least before the Fairy-type makes its debut in Gen VI.

However, why is Vanille in NU?
    1) Being an Ice-type means it's weak to common types like Fight, Fire and Rock, not to mention the lack of resistances.
    2) Weak to Stealth Rock.
    3) Terrible movepool.
    4) Not so decent Speed (79).
    5) Both Abilities are... well... one could be useful in Hail, but Vanille wasn't meant to be defensive, while it's too frail to exploit the Speed boosts from the other Ability.
    6) Conkeldurr, which has one of the ugliest designs ever is in OU.
    7) The lack of more Flavours/Forms, hope Gen VI changes that.

Now for the real deal...
    I Scream in the Summer!
    @Leftovers/Life Orb
    Ability: Ice Body (if you have Hail support)/Weak Armor (if you don't use Hail)
    Nature: Modest/Timid
    EVs: 252 Sp Atk/252 Spd/4 HP
    Blizzard/Ice Cream
    Flash Cannon
    HP Ground
    Autotomize/Signal Beam
    The STAB depends if you have (or not) Hail... Blizzard with Hail means destructive power coming from an ice cream Pokémon, while Ice Cream (pun intended) is more reliable in terms of power, accuracy and PP.
    Flash Cannon covers other Ice-types and to some extent, Rock-types.
    HP Ground takes care of more Rock-types and gives Vanille a chance to stand up against some Fire-types (well Charizard will like that), well, good luck with that.
    The last move can either increase Vanille's not too nice Speed, or if you don't think Vanille will last the set up turn to Autotomize itself, Signal Beam adds some coverage... I think... well, at least you can confuse something if you get lucky.
    Leftovers and Life Orb are the usual same old same old items of choice, Lefties being useful with Ice Body and Life Orb with Weak Armor (be careful with the recoil).
    If you plan an all attacking set, you can slap a Choice Scarf/Specs if you want.
    Last edited by Star Champion AJ; 17th June 2013 at 11:21 PM.
    I claim Flygon, the super awesome Dragon

Vanillite Little cup set

ability ice body
    item Choice Scarf

Blizzard /Ice Beam
    Water Pulse
    Flash Cannon
    Hidden Power Fighting/hidden power grass/ signal beam

Work pretty much the same as it's final evolved form in lc

ice beam or blizzard are the main stab attack obvious power accuracy difference unless hail will be out.
    Water pulse is mostly there to hit fire types(and catch a few with confusion)
    Flash cannon there to hit rock types
    Hidden powers are for other coverage grass is mostly for water types and fighting is there for normal and any rock types not bothered by steel attacks, signal beam is a bug type option which could hit pychic types (and again might give confusion). Pick whichever suits you the best.Given low speed choice band works iced body would be useful on a hail team or just on the off chance hail is out.

Vanilluxe is deliciously looking... Just staring at it will make you want an ice cream cone. Unfortunately, this pokemon is not a great threat in competitive metagames but surely is a treat!

Vanilluxe main hindrance is it's movepool as it has nothing to cover up it's ice type stab resistances. However, stab ice moves will hurt a lot. Vanilluxe also lacks in speed but autotomise can fix this issue.

The best way in using vanilluxe is using it as a fast sweeper early on in the game and better be in a hail team... Not sure if snover is still allowed in NU but any other hail setter is accepted.
    This set will be vanilluxe best attempt at sweeping, if any sweeping is possible.

Vanilluxe@leftovers
    Ability: Ice body / Weak armor
    Nature: +Sp ATT / - DEF or +SPD/-DEF
    Evs: 252 Sp ATT / 252 Speed / 4 ATT
    Moveset:
    -Ice beam / Blizzard
    -Hidden power fight / hidden power ground
    -Explosion / Ice shard
    -Autotomise

Simple and somewhat effective. After one speed boost, Vanilluxe will be able to outrun a lot of checks and faster opponents. If you are in a hail team, blizzard is a strong stab that never misses that hits a lot of types for a good amount of damage barring fire, water, steel and other ice types. Ice beam is if you are not in a hail team or if you hate blizzards low PP. Hidden power covers the types that resist your ice stab... Hidden power fight will hit steel types and ice types for SE damage while hitting fire and water for neutral damage while hidden power ground will hit fire and steel types super effectively while being neutral to water and ice. Both hidden powers are also useful for hitting rock types for SE damage. Finally, explosion is a great way in going out, possibly taking something with you or at least severely damaging it, barring a ghost, rock or steel type while ice shard can bypass your speed and KO opponents that have very low HP left. The choice of the ability depends on the weather. If it's hailing outside go with ice body as it is very beneficial and hail is the best weather for vanilluxe. Weak armor is used if you're not using it in hail for the extra boost in speed but it's rather situational.

Vanilluxe seems to be kinda frail and weak, but it has some options for double battles.
    Vanilluxe@Mental Herb/Ice Gem
    Trait: Weak Armor/Ice Body
    Spread: 252HP/4SpA/252Spe or 4HP/252SpA/252Spe
    Timid nature
    -Protect
    -Imprison
    -Taunt
    -Icy Wind/Blizzard
    Main purpose of this set is Imprisoning opponents' Protects and Taunts. Mental Herb cures Taunts so Pranksters and fast supporters are not so dangerous with this set. You can choose Ice Gem and offensive spread to boost power of Blizzard or use defensive spread to support your team with Icy Wind.

Vanilluxe seems to be kinda frail and weak, but it has some options for double battles.
    Vanilluxe@Mental Herb/Ice Gem
    Trait: Weak Armor/Ice Body
    Spread: 252HP/4SpA/252Spe or 4HP/252SpA/252Spe
    Timid nature
    -Protect
    -Imprison
    -Taunt
    -Icy Wind/Blizzard
    Main purpose of this set is Imprisoning opponents' Protects and Taunts. Mental Herb cures Taunts so Pranksters and fast supporters are not so dangerous with this set. You can choose Ice Gem and offensive spread to boost power of Blizzard or use defensive spread to support your team with Icy Wind. Abomasnow is useful for 100% accuracy Blizzard and Ice Body, Sableye is useful for burns and Weak Armor to setup on weakened attacks.

other opition's for Vanilluxe

Signal beam- while not ideal coverage it its an option and may surprise some opposition.
    Mirror coat- can be a risky move to rely on but with careful timing can be a potentially useful move.May require a focus sash.
    Sheer cold- unreliable and usually banned but with a bit of luck can work.
    Uproar –would be useful but the ice cream has enough problems and can’t really afford to be locked into a move.
    Natural gift- with the right berry could be usefull but off course this means no item.
    Light screen- a useful team move but the ice cream may not be ideal for this role.
    Round-weak base power but somewhat useful coverage.
    Toxic- it’s an option but doesn’t really fit.

Now, if someone were crazy enough to put this on a Sun team, Weather Ball could be a very nice surprise (well, not for the other team). Unfortunately, you can't use Blizzard, and Water Pulse wouldn't be useful. Giving it a Rock-type Weather Ball gives it one of the strongest special rock type moves in the game, which covers it's Fighting weakness, unless you get hit by a Mach Punch or something. If you're seriously having troubles with Steel/Grass types on a Rain team, you might have other problems, but on a Hippowdown-based Sand team with no Ice-resistors, a Vanilluxe could get a nice sweep moment by taking down the opposing ice-type (that don't really exist in OU...maybe a Weavile?).

In conclusion, using Weather Ball on a non-Hail team could really trip up your opponent, and since it's movepool is terrible (shown from the same moves copied over and over in this thread), it ends up surprising. But you can't use Ice Body, and if you're gonna use Automize anyways, Weak Armor is more of a curse. To quote the little girl from Vetrandurf infront of Rusturf tunnel,
    "I don't really get it, but hey!"