Thread: i need help with my pokemon team (no legendaries)

Default i need help with my pokemon team (no legendaries)

hi, i'm pretty new to Pokemon (I haven't played a Pokemon game since Blue, which was around 10 years ago), and I recently bought Pokemon Sapphire.
    i really need some help with my team, i've looked at bios of most of the pokemon through Chuggaconroy videos, and all i have so far is a Torchic and a Ralts. i've been thinking about getting a Cacturne and a Swablu. Are there any other Pokemon you can recommend?

I recommend you to catch a Tailow - they are common early in the game and they are quite versatile, they evolve into Swellow, which is a very fast flying type and learns some decent moves.

Also, if you are able to trade, I suggest you get an Abra. Abras are good and appear early in the game, the cave in Dewford specifically. It isn't easy to train but it soon evolves into Kadabra, which then evolves into Alakazam when traded. Alakazam is very fast and has brilliant special attack stats. It also has a decent movepool. Again, you need to trade it so it'll evolve, but it is certainly the best non-legendary psychic pokemon.

It would also be worth catching a Magikarp. Now, Magikarps are very weak and has limited moves (by level 20 it only knows splash and tackle) however, when it reaches level 20 it evolves into Gyarados, a very powerful Water-flying type. It is certainly worth training Magikarp despite it being hard to train, I suggest giving it the Exp share item.

Well whenever I start a game, I always look for the six best types that can dish out advantage damage (2x) to every single other type.

The first obviously being your starter, it will either be water, fire, or grass. I would recommend choosing Marshtomp seeing as it is a Water/Ground type so it has an immunity towards electricity meaning the third gym is completely pwnage and can dish out good damage fire, and ground and can only be damaged by grass however grass does 4x the amount of damage but since there are no gym leaders with grass Pokemon it's a safe bet. Since you picked Torchic this all changes. You now have your fire type which can take out grass, ice, bug, and steel.

Next, now that you have a Ralts. It is a Psychic type Pokemon so it is good against grass and ghost types however, like Retro said earlier get Alakazam. It is one of the strongest SP Attackers in that game.

A flying type would be your next best thing to get, so try to catch either a tailow for speed or a swablu for more variety.

I would then get an electric type Pokemon. By doing this, you can take out pesky Flying Pokemon like the sixth gym and Water Pokemon like the Last Gym. I would recommend either catching Electrike, Magnemite, Trading a Elekid from a previous game or a Voltorb.

Next would be either Ground or Fighting. The reason for this is because both of these types have the most advantages over any Pokemon meaning they can stomp most of the gyms. I recommend a Makuhita in the cave right at Dewford city and a geodude in some of the caves. You may not be able to get Golem as it needs a trade but Graveler should be very strong.

All in all, just get Pokemon that are effective against the gym Leaders if your looking to beat the game quickly.
    Fan Fic: Nexus Renegade
    When a new dimension is created and gives birth to three terrors of the world. The Nexus will judge you
    Currently Under Revision
    Special Thanks to Inudono19 for the Badass Morph of the Creation Trio

is Pikachu a good electric type?

Quote Originally Posted by Wessen View Post
    is Pikachu a good electric type?
    Pikachu is not bad but you won't be able to catch one until later in the game and it is outclassed by Manectric. Pikachu is fairly easy to KO as well.

Trapinch is a good pokemon to catch since it evolves into flygon, which will help you later in the elite four.
    White 2 Friend Code: 2280-5933-8307

I started again and picked up a mudkip, a Slakoth and a Taillow, do you recommend any other pokemon?

You could catch a shroomish and evolve it into a breloom, which is a grass/fighting type with a high base attack stat.
    White 2 Friend Code: 2280-5933-8307

Get trapinch like said before. Flygon is really useful.
    The world needs more weird people who know how things work and who love to figure it all out.
    Being different is not a crime, and people who tell you it is are just jealous that you've picked up a skill they never in their wildest dreams could acquire.
    You can code. They cannot. That is pretty dang cool.
    ~Zed Shaw

If you want more advice, check the Ingame Team Rate section. Note that most stuff will do fine though given enough training.

Closed.

A parody of the Pokemon Colosseum game, full of pastries and Miror B.
    Completed. Four times winner of Best Comedy/Funniest Fic.

The BBS Forums! Join in!
    Gain achievements for activity on forums & the games!

Tied to this Pokemon Magazine! Looking for contributors - check it out!
    Why should you? Well, Wynaut?
    Current article: Dude, where's my Game Corner? Learn why you can't gamble in ORAS. =(
    Avatar by minty-fivestar on DA, with edited background/cropping. Fic banner by cieux.