Thread: Community POTW #130

Default Community POTW #130

Time for the next Pokémon of the Week, and this week we have another Unova Pokémon

It's Amoonguss, the decent Grass/Poison-type Pokémon that has become a massive part of many a competitive team

http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-bw/591.shtml

Go nuts

ah amoonguss with solid mixed bulk, the ever so threatening spore among other support options and synthesis, giga drain and regenerator to make him last quite long in battle.
    Item: black sludge
    Ability: Regenerator
    Nature: bold/calm
    Ev's: 252 HP / 88 Def / 52 SpA / 116 SpD
    Moves:spore, giga drain, clear smog, stun spore/synthesis
    also yay I beat lucario fan
    Last edited by 0danmaster0; 23rd June 2013 at 2:17 PM.

The 6 best pokemon of all time. If you disagree you can and will be factually disproven

Ability: Effect Spore
    Item: Leftovers
    Moves: Spore, Giga Drain, Sludge Bomb, Clear Smog
        Spoiler:- Favourite Pokemon:

You know what, I have been running an amoonguss set for a while in VGC for a while, and I think I have to share it with you folks.

Uncommon shroom
    Amoonguss@black sludge/expert belt
    Trait regerator
    Ivs 30 att,30 spatt,2spd
    Rage powder
    Sopre
    Giga drain
    Hidden power(fire)

I have 2 ev and nature sets for it. Quiet with 252 hp, 108 sp att and the rest in defence, for more offence or you can use the standard defencive set(need to update).

This is the best amoonguss set out there. Imagine, last turn and it is amoonguss vs a weakened scizor. Your opponent say that you can't win. Scizor bug bites, and you finish off with hidden power fire. That was the scenario I had when I made this move set: to let amoonguss beat scizor and other steels. The rest is standard amoonguss. Sopre abuse and rage powder for TR set up. I need to check up other HP fire sets, to see if there is one that only needs 1 speed IV, since under TR, he is out sped by other amoonguss and reuniclus.

Stats:
    -HP - Near-Godly - Base 114 is incredible, especially with Regenerator Ability, Recovery Moves, Black Sludge, and Substitute.
    -Attack - Above Average - Base 85 gets things done. Slowly, yes, but they get done.
    -Defense - Below Average - Base 70 is the Achilles' Heel of Amoonguss. However, your large HP compensates a bit.
    -Sp.Atk - Above Average - Copy the comment from Attack and paste here.
    -Sp.Def - Average - Base 80 isn't great, but the huge HP stat Amoon' has helps.
    -Speed - Good-bordering-Great (Trick Room) - Base 30 is a magical thing in a Trick Room. Relaxed Nature will help raise Defense and lower Speed, if you feel like going with a Mixed or Trick Room set

Abilities:
    -Effect Spore - Could've been worse, but not by much.
    -Regenerator - No words can describe the pure, unadulterated wonder of getting 144 HP back by simply switching out.

Movepool:
    -Physical - Body Slam, Return, Seed Bomb, Payback, and Foul Play are pretty good options. Chances are, if they're attacking Physically, Foul Play will wreck 'em.
    -Special - Giga Drain, Solarbeam, Grass Knot, Clear Smog, Sludge Bomb, and Hidden Power are always nice.
    -Status - Toxic, Growth, Synthesis, Rage Powder, Spore, Gastro Acid, and Worry Seed are all fun options.

"Don't Fungi Dislike Sunlight and Dryness?"
    Ability: Regenerator Ability
    Stats: Bold/Modest, 252 HP & Sp.Atk, rest Defense
    Item: Black Sludge
    Moves: Growth, Synthesis, Solarbeam, Hidden Power (Fire)

Simply put, a Sun Team set. Growth, Synthesis, and Hidden Power (Fire) double in potency and Solarbeam doesn't have to charge in Strong Sunlight. Gimmicky, but not useless.
    Pokémon X Friend Safari: Snover, Bergmite, Piloswine.

Ever see a Corsola 1-shot an Uber? Arceus bless Pokemon Stadium 2...
    WARNING: Strong profanity and extreme hilarity in this video. Viewer discretion and pointing-and-laughing advised.

Champignon

Amoonguss @ Black Sludge
    EVS: 252 HP/DEF, 4 SDEF
    Nature: Bold
    Moves: Spore, Clear Smog, Giga Drain, Hidden Power Fire

or an offensive one? xD

Amoonguss @ Life Orb
    EVs: 252 HP/SATK, 4 SDEF
    Nature: Modest
    Moves: Giga Drain, Hidden Power Fire, Spore, Sludge Bomb

Ammongus is the bane of VGC players everywhere, incapacitating you with spore and rage powder and being almost impossible to kill. It's effectively parasect for non-rain teams.

Mega Mushroom
    Amoongus@black sludge
    -Spore
    -Rage Powder
    -Giga Drain
    -Protect
    252 hp 4 def 252 sp def
    Bold
    Effect Spore

None shall oppose our reign!

Check out my fanfic, Pokelypse chronicles. You won't regret it.

http://pokelypse.blogspot.com/

Input is appreciated.

Amoonguss is incredible. This is not a sarcastic comment. Amoonguss has just the right stats, movepool, and ability to be a very frustrating foe to face. However, this mushroom has zero flexibility. It does one thing very well, but doing something else is a waste of time.

SHROOMS!!!!
    Nature: Bold/Calm
    EVs: 252 HP, 28 sp attack, 228 defense/sp defense
    @: Black Sludge

Spore
    Giga Drain
    Clear Smog
    Stun Spore/Synthesis

Having dual screens will help greatly. Spore puts stuff to sleep. Giga Drain heals and attacks. Clear Smog always hits and removes stat boosts, shutting down stat boosting. The last slot depends on what you want. Stun Spore will encourage status spread while avoiding the sleep clause. However, Synthesis provides huge recovery boosts. It's up to you.

Other options:

Hidden Power will help in the coverage department and is worth considering. Fire, Ground, and Ice are best.
    Sludge Bomb will provide some power.
    Toxic can be used for status.
    Substitute is a great move in general and works well with the heavy recovery options Amoonguss has. However, this is best done with Leech Seed, which this mushroom lacks.
    I claim Buizel.

jeremy (Amoonguss) (M) @ Choice Specs
    Trait: Regenerator
    EVs: 252 HP / 240 SAtk / 16 Spd
    Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
    - Spore
    - Giga Drain
    - Sludge Bomb
    - Hidden Power [Ground]

great for teams in need of a defensive pivot that can also hit hard.
    spore is almost a guaranteed ko.
    giga drain does surprisingly big damage and heals off damage.
    sludge bomb hits other grass types like shaymin, other amoonguss, and xatu ect.
    hp ground beats chandelure bisharp darmanitan and other grass resists

Quote Originally Posted by what no way View Post
    jeremy (Amoonguss) (M) @ Choice Specs
    EVs: 252 HP / 240 SAtk / 16 Spd
    Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
    - Spore
    - Giga Drain
    - Sludge Bomb
    - Hidden Power [Ground]

great for teams in need of a defensive pivot that can also hit hard.
    spore is almost a guaranteed ko.
    giga drain does surprisingly big damage and heals off damage.
    sludge bomb hits other grass types like shaymin, other amoonguss, and xatu ect.
    hp ground beats chandelure bisharp darmanitan and other grass resists
    If you're going for an offensive Amoonguss, Life Orb would be the better option over Choice Specs. Otherwise, you'll be forced to switch after you get locked into Spore due to Sleep Clause.
    Competitive/IGRMT Mod and one of the writers for the PotW.

I make no claim of being perfect or always right. Take everything I say with a grain of salt.

Spore staller
    Calm
    EV's 252 HP, 220 Sp.def, 36 Def
    Item@ Black Sludge
    Regenerator
    Spore
    Rage Powder
    Giga Drain
    Protect / Synthesis

3DS XL FC for Pokemon Y 2595-0724-5772 IGN SmeargleRocks
    Shiny Number 1268

I can offer gen6 cloning services, I will only clone what I don't have as glitch cloning can take awhile and be stressful

Self caught shinies on Y 24
    first successfull (and accidental) MM Shelmet timid 31/1/19/31/31/31 4:25 pm EST 4/14/14
    Shiny XD Gale of Darkness Zubat caught September 17th 2012 @ 4:24 pm EST cave PokeSpot

FUC* ALL HACKERS!!!
    ALL Gen6 6IV Event pokemon are hacked

Effect Spore w/ Black Sludge/Leftovers OR Regenerator w/ Escape Button
    Quiet w/ 254 HP, 128 Sp Attack, 128 Attack
    Giga Drain/Energy Ball/Seed Bomb
    Sludge Bomb
    Payback/Rollout
    Rollout/Payback/Gastro Acid/Worry Seed

Counters-RU
    Defensive Pokémon with Fire/Ice/Flying/Psychic-type moves like Fire/Ice Punch Dusknoir, Psychic Spritomb, Aerial Ace Escavaleir, Sap Sipper & Zen Headbutt Bouffalant, and Fire Punch Druddigon. NU recommendations include Fan Rotom and Glaceon.
    Last edited by sbktdreed; 30th June 2013 at 6:12 AM.
    Got Pokémon X. Intend to get either Omega Ruby or Alpha Sapphire.
    No info about my Friend Safari.
    Vivillon Pattern: Polar
    Looking for nicknamed, shiny, and/or have a hidden ability in GTS and may battle at anytime.
    If interested, send a private message with your ID #.

Counters/Checks: Vital Spirit Magmortar is the #1 threat to the mighty mushroom, switching in on Spore and killing it with Fire Blast (beware of HP Ground). Xatu and Espeon also fare well as they can bounce back Spore and render Amoonguss to it's end. Taunt in VGC meta tends to shut down Amoonguss alongside as most if not all carry Spore and Rage Powder, making it rely on Giga Drain and HP Ground for damage, both not hitting well against common threats like Thundurus and Cresselia.
    Last edited by Dragalge; 24th June 2013 at 1:59 PM.

Are you Spore you want to face me?

Foongus LC Set:
    - Brave nature (0 Speed IV)
    - 252 HP 252 Atk 4 Def
    - Effect Spore
    - Focus Sash
    Moveset:
    - Payback
    - Seed bomb
    - Spore
    - Protect

my xat avvie (c) me
    {~Friend Safari : GHOST : Pumpkaboo | Golurk | Lampent~}
    {~Total self-caught shinies: 94~}
    {~Most recent shiny : random shiny Wurmple(OR 1 RE!)~}
    {~3DS FC : 4012-3813-9306 IGN Emii(Y version/OR version)~}

Join TEF in the Guild section! Click here!

Ah, Amoonguss... I love this thing. Ironically, despite being such a low-tier Pokemon, it's got a great place on Rain teams, due to being so stupidly bulky and annoying with its myriad of status and support moves. Here's my Rain Amoonguss set.

Amoonguss @ Black Sludge
    Calm - Regenerator
    252 Sp. Def, 252 HP, 4 Def
    -Spore
    -Stun Spore
    -Giga Drain
    -Clear Smog

This thing is more of a utility set than a true wall, trolling my opponent with dual status and Clear Smog. Spore something, then Stun Spore as they switch out, since 99.9% of competitively competent players will switch their sleep bait out immediately. Giga Drain lets him do some minor damage while healing himself a little bit extra, but Regenerator and Black Sludge is really all he needs. Clear Smog shuts down attempts to set up on him.

You can shoot my body full of holes but ya can't kill the spirit of Rock N' Roll, baby! \m/

Oh mushroom, I hate you so much! I will feed you to Mario and Luigi over the Mushroom Kingdom!

Anyways, onto checks and counters:

Staraptor - use it to revenge kill this thing IF Staraptor's counters are dead. Recommended would be Reckless. Hold it a Lum berry if you want to take a Spore and strike back.

Swellow with Guts - In the realm of RU, Amoongus fear this guy with Magmortar. I mean, one's it got a self inflicted Toxic/Burn, spore it pointless.

Sigylyph - Know the Psycho Shift technique it does in RU. It doesn't care on what it does ones the status from either status orb hurts it.

Theoretical counters:

Egxecutor - if you let it hold a Chesto berry with its offensive + rest + harvest set, spore will only activate the berry. With Harvest, it only returns it, IF the mushroom is not using poison type attacks or the incorrect hidden power.

Durant - ones it gets a hone claws with Hustle, expect X-Scissor to cut it to pieces.

Archeops / Sceptice / Aerodactyl- as a revenge killer tactic, Acrobatics + Flying gem + STAB + no item boost effect = a close to dead mushroom, or a dead mushroom. I hate mushrooms on top of pizzas.

Psyshock - Most mushrooms brace themselves from special defense. Focus on it's lesser invested defense. Though it backfires if it aims to be physically defensive
    Final Chapter: 38: Mountain's Edge(Click the Banner above)

Quote Originally Posted by jireh the provider View Post
    Oh mushroom, I hate you so much! I will feed you to Mario and Luigi over the Mushroom Kingdom!

Anyways, onto checks and counters:

Staraptor - use it to revenge kill this thing IF Staraptor's counters are dead. Recommended would be Reckless. Hold it a Lum berry if you want to take a Spore and strike back.

Swellow with Guts - In the realm of RU, Amoongus fear this guy with Magmortar. I mean, one's it got a self inflicted Toxic/Burn, spore it pointless.

Sigylyph - Know the Psycho Shift technique it does in RU. It doesn't care on what it does ones the status from either status orb hurts it.

Theoretical counters:

Egxecutor - if you let it hold a Chesto berry with its offensive + rest + harvest set, spore will only activate the berry. With Harvest, it only returns it, IF the mushroom is not using poison type attacks or the incorrect hidden power.

Durant - ones it gets a hone claws with Hustle, expect X-Scissor to cut it to pieces.

Archeops / Sceptice / Aerodactyl- as a revenge killer tactic, Acrobatics + Flying gem + STAB + no item boost effect = a close to dead mushroom, or a dead mushroom. I hate mushrooms on top of pizzas.

Psyshock - Most mushrooms brace themselves from special defense. Focus on it's lesser invested defense. Though it backfires if it aims to be physically defensive
    Anything with Taunt, the occasional Magic Coat, or Magic Bounce Ability will shut down any Status-chucking Amoonguss like a computer during an update. Ice Shard is another option for fighting it if you're in a Trick Room. Leaf Guard and Hydration are other ways around Amoon's biggest asset. Insomnia and Vital Spirit also shut Spore down completely if Amoon' doesn't have Gastro Acid.
    Pokémon X Friend Safari: Snover, Bergmite, Piloswine.

Ever see a Corsola 1-shot an Uber? Arceus bless Pokemon Stadium 2...
    WARNING: Strong profanity and extreme hilarity in this video. Viewer discretion and pointing-and-laughing advised.

Ahh Amoonguss....

Amoonguss @ Leftovers
    EVs: 252 HP / 8 SAtk / 248 SDef
    Calm Nature
    - Spore
    - Stun Spore
    - Giga Drain
    - Sludge Bomb

You're annoying little mushroom. Dual-status Amoonguss. Spore puts opponents to sleep. Amoonguss also has Stun Spore to give paralysis. The rest is STAB moves for Amoonguss. Walled many special attackers but not revenge kill it. Giga Drain gives Amoonguss more turn to live. Giga Drain + Regenerator tactic is wonderful. Sludge Bomb is other STAB moves on this set. But nothing much to say.
    ♠ ♣ ♦ ♥

Quote Originally Posted by jireh the provider View Post

Durant isn't a theoretical counter, Amoonguss can't touch it outside of Spore or the rare Hidden Power (Fire). In fact, provided it lacks Spore/Stun Spore and/or Sleep cause is already in effect, Durant can set up all over Amoonguss, and Amoonguss can't even Clear Smog away its boosts.

Also, provided Sigilyph doesn't immediately blow it away with Stored Power (which you should ALWAYS do), Amoonguss can Clear Smog away all of its Cosmic Power boosts.
    Last edited by Divine Retribution; 26th June 2013 at 12:14 AM.

You can shoot my body full of holes but ya can't kill the spirit of Rock N' Roll, baby! \m/