Thread: Baton Pass Team - Please Rate

Default Baton Pass Team - Please Rate

This is my first team that focuses on sweeping with Baton Pass boosts, so any advice/suggestions/etc. is appreciated!

@Mental Herb
    Ability: Speed Boost
    Bold Nature
    -Baton Pass
    -Hone Claws
    -Substitute
    -Protect
    EV Spread: 248 HP / 236 Def / 24 Spe

This is my first Baton Passer. It would normally use Swords Dance instead of Hone Claws, but since I have Moody Smeargle, it needs to Accuracy boost to ensure that my entire team won't fall in accuracy from Moody. It's also useful for Mienshao with Stone Edge and Hi Jump Kick that would be grateful for an accuracy boost. SubProtect is here too, so I can stall for Speed Boost to take effect and pass on Substitute when it's ready.

@Big Root
    Ability: Water Absorb
    Calm Nature
    -Acid Armor
    -Baton Pass
    -Surf
    -Aqua Ring
    EV Spread: 252 HP / 200 SpA / 56 Spe

Acid Armor is my team's means of increasing Defense, since it lacks other means of increasing the Defense stat. Aqua Ring is a move similar to Ingrain (aside from preventing phazing) in that it restores HP gradually and can be Baton Passed. The Big Root increases HP restored by Aqua Ring (and Ingrain once it receives Ingrain) by 30%, making it more effective than Leftovers as an item. Surf is a damaging STAB move. Baton Pass is here, of course, to pass on it's boosts.

@Life Orb
    Ability: Regenerator
    Jolly Nature
    -Hi Jump Kick
    -Stone Edge
    -Knock Off
    -Baton Pass
    EV Spread: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe

It is my physical Sweeper for this team, and it can use Baton Pass to ensure that it's boosts don't go away when it needs to switch out. Knock Off is an odd choice, I know, but since I can't use U-Turn without ridding the team's stat boosts, it's Mienshao's only coverage over Psychic-types, but it also gives it the ability to knock off the opponents item, which is handy when the Pokemon relies on it's item. Stone Edge and Hi Jump Kick are there for coverage. Regenerator restores HP every time it switches out, which makes the Life Orb less risky.

@Ghost Gem
    Ability: Unburden
    Timid Nature
    -Ominous Wind
    -Thunderbolt
    -Minimize
    -Baton Pass
    EV Spread: 252 HP / 148 Def / 104 SpD

Ominous Wind would be used over Shadow Ball, because it may boost all the user's stats at once, and combined with Calm Mind Boosts which Espeon would pass it, it can be just as powerful. Thunderbolt is for coverage over Water-types, being that I seem to lack coverage over Water-types aside from this. Minimize is an extra boosting move which boosts evasion, which can get very annoying with no way to phaze (due to Ingrain) and it can make up for Evasion lost due to Smeargle's Moody. Unburden will double Speed if it uses it's Ghost Gem, which is another yet another stat boost to pass on. I feel like Drifblim must have been made for a passing team...

@Starf Berry/Focus Sash
    Ability: Moody
    Timid Nature
    -Ingrain
    -Baton Pass
    -Tail Glow
    -Spore
    EV Spread: 80 HP / 96 Def / 80 SpD / 252 Spe

Smeargle can act as a viable lead with this set. If I give it a Starf Berry, it is able to boost one of it's stats when it's HP is low, which is useful against more defensive teams, but an offensive Pokemon would tear it apart without a Focus Sash, which removes one of my possible leads. Anyways, Spore puts them to sleep with 100% accuracy, which gives me a turn to boost while the opposing Pokemon is sleeping or switches. Tail Glow is a +3 SpA boost, which is outstanding, but Iron Defense is more useful since my team currently lacks any Defense boosters. Ingrain is a nice healing move and it prevents me from being phazed and is passable with Baton Pass, so that's incredibly useful. Moody is arguable one of the best abilities in the game; it boosts 2 stats and lowers 1 (at random). This means While Ingrain and Iron Defense are being used, I'm also getting a boost from it's ability.

@Leftovers
    Ability: Magic Bounce
    Bold Nature
    -Baton Pass
    -Calm Mind
    -Stored Power
    -Wish
    EV Spread: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD

With Magic Bounce it bounces back hazards, prevents Taunt from ruining it's chances at passing, and also prevents status moves from being used on it. Calm Mind is the boosting move, to either be passed to Magnezone or to another passer to create a chain. Stored Power will get extremely powerful after 2 boosts, which means it also has the option to fight before it passes on the Calm Mind boosts. Wish is there for Support if I need it.

So Please tell me what you think of this team I'm open to changing anything here, being that these are just ideas and not actually trained Pokemon yet (aside from Magnezone). So the team is focusing a lot on trying to get in an early sweep by using Baton Pass, and since my mentality is that I need to be slightly defensive, each Pokemon's weaknesses are resisted by others on the team, which is useful in any situation for switching out of an attack (if absolutely necessary).
    Last edited by papayaperson; 28th June 2013 at 1:56 AM.
    My swarm of Ledyba will destroy your crops bwahaha

You should use Baton Pass Espeon. Espeon has Magic Bounce preventing Hazards, but more importantly preventing Taunt. It also gets Stored Power, Calm Mind, and, of course, Baton Pass.

"It's time to see what I can do. Test the limits and break through!"

PoshSprout Nariya's Head Mage
    Credit to FairyWitch and GTA for the art!

Espeon is a great Pokemon for a Baton Pass team, especially with Stored Power. I'd also like to suggest Smeargle for one reason and one reason only: Ingrain passing. Phazers will murder any BP team unless they've got either a Magic Bouncer and great prediction or Ingrain to stop the shuffling. It also gets... well, anything. Spore, whatever setup move you want, Ingrain and Baton Pass are what I'd use.
    "Whether Castform the Weather Pokemon can weather the weather is dependent on whether the weather that it's weathering is the proper weather for it to weather. Whether the opponent can weather the weather is also subject to whether the weather that it's weathering is the right weather to weather. Whether Castform can weather the opponent is once again dictated by the weather and whether that weather is the favorable weather for weathering. But most importantly, you should know whether there will be weather to weather rather than what weather they will be weathering and whether they can weather that weather."

- Smogon's Castform analysis

Quote Originally Posted by loco1234 View Post
    Espeon is a great Pokemon for a Baton Pass team, especially with Stored Power. I'd also like to suggest Smeargle for one reason and one reason only: Ingrain passing. Phazers will murder any BP team unless they've got either a Magic Bouncer and great prediction or Ingrain to stop the shuffling. It also gets... well, anything. Spore, whatever setup move you want, Ingrain and Baton Pass are what I'd use.
    I love that idea for a Smeargle! Should it replace Espeon altogether or be used in addition to Espeon (and replace which Poke)?

I would use it in addition to. Stored Power is the best move in the game for a BP sweep and the sheer utility of Magic Bounce is awesomely useful. As for what to replace, not sure. Maybe Medicham, since an Espeon all set up is gonna murder anything anyway, but having a physical recipient can be beneficial too
    "Whether Castform the Weather Pokemon can weather the weather is dependent on whether the weather that it's weathering is the proper weather for it to weather. Whether the opponent can weather the weather is also subject to whether the weather that it's weathering is the right weather to weather. Whether Castform can weather the opponent is once again dictated by the weather and whether that weather is the favorable weather for weathering. But most importantly, you should know whether there will be weather to weather rather than what weather they will be weathering and whether they can weather that weather."

I would use it in addition to. Stored Power is the best move in the game for a BP sweep and the sheer utility of Magic Bounce is awesomely useful. As for what to replace, not sure. Maybe Medicham, since an Espeon all set up is gonna murder anything anyway, but having a physical recipient can be beneficial too
    I think I'll dump Magnezone for it... I need both sweepers, and maybe I'll replace them for sweepers with Baton Pass to keep the chain continuous if I need to switch out.

Thunderbolt over Thunder on Drifblim, this isn't a rain team and the 100% accuracy of Thunderbolt is a lifesaver. Also, most OU matches play with Evasion clause and Moody clause (meaning evasion-boosting moves like Double Team are banned and so is the ability Moody). On Drifblim I'd go for HP Fighting over Minimize for coverage (and it's a better option anyway), and a Gem or Pinch Berry to take advantage of Unburden. I'd use Electric or Fighting, but that's just me. Ghost works too. On Smeargle, Moody's gotta change if this is for OU, but more importantly I'd suggest Tail Glow over Iron Defense, and back to Swords Dance on Shedinja. You could run Iron Defense if you REALLY felt you needed a Defense booster but Vaporeon's Acid Armor does a much better job of that.

But yeah, if you want to use this on RMU it will show you exactly why Smogon banned Moody in OU.

Thunderbolt over Thunder on Drifblim, this isn't a rain team and the 100% accuracy of Thunderbolt is a lifesaver. Also, most OU matches play with Evasion clause and Moody clause (meaning evasion-boosting moves like Double Team are banned and so is the ability Moody). On Drifblim I'd go for HP Fighting over Minimize for coverage (and it's a better option anyway), and a Gem or Pinch Berry to take advantage of Unburden. I'd use Electric or Fighting, but that's just me. Ghost works too. On Smeargle, Moody's gotta change if this is for OU, but more importantly I'd suggest Tail Glow over Iron Defense, and back to Swords Dance on Shedinja. You could run Iron Defense if you REALLY felt you needed a Defense booster but Vaporeon's Acid Armor does a much better job of that.

But yeah, if you want to use this on RMU it will show you exactly why Smogon banned Moody in OU.
    I don't do Smogon tier rules or anything of the sort, just wi-fi battles and so-on. I hate dealing with all the restrictions on abilities, status, and so-on... If it's a strategy, I don't see why it can't be used. I hate Sleep Clause the most of all their rules >.< Anyways, with Hone Claws' Accuracy boost Thunder on Drifblim will be accurate (considering Drifblim will never lead or be put in until is has respectable boosts to receive). I guess Thunderbolt is still a better choice though with the option to not have to send in Ninjask first... I'm afraid that if Moody does lower Evasion, which is possible, I won't get it back up if I don't have something to boost it. I think I'll replace Gorebyss with Vaporeon then and use Tail Glow for Smeargle. That way every stat can be boosted ^^ Attack and Speed are already covered, so Tail Glow and Acid Armor are fine when getting rid of Shell Smash, although the quick boost would be nice.

Should I lead with Smeargle (and use a Focus Sash), or would a Starf Berry be better to use him for later-game boosting after Defense and/or Special Defense boosts have accumulated?
    Last edited by papayaperson; 27th June 2013 at 12:17 AM.

Lead with ninjask. Speed kills for a BP team.

Sleep clause is present in every form of Pokemon except for in game. It has been present since Pokemon stadium, and with the new BW sleep mechanics, sleep equals a KO
    3DS FC: 3926 5164 7887 Name: Brady

DotA 2 Enthusiast

Play Balanced Hackmons. You'll LOVE the Sleep Clause after that. Seriously, everything and its mother carries Spore (like the RIDICULOUSLY TROLLY Prankster Lugia I run, I've swept entire teams with it. And it's a freaking SubSeeder. But then again, 2/3 of my team are ridiculous trolls, and I STILL reached around 1800 last time I tried XD)

Anymore suggestions before I begin raising this team?