Thread: A Failing SandStorm, what am I doing wrong?

Default A Failing SandStorm, what am I doing wrong?

This is my first post but nevermind that, anyway I have been using a sandstorm team to no avail I realise I probably have a lot wrong with my team but here it is:

Pokemon 1:

Species: Tyranitar
    Item: Air Balloon
    Nature: Hasty
    Ability: Sand Stream

Move 1: Earthquake
    Move 2: Rock Slide
    Move 3: Crunch
    Move 4: Dragon Claw

Pokemon 2:

Species: Metagross
    Item: Toxic Orb
    Nature: Sassy
    Ability: Clear Body

Move 2: Psychic
    Move 3: Meteor Mash
    Move 4: Trick

Pokemon 3:

Species: Skarmory
    Item: BrightPowder
    Nature: Brave
    Ability: Keen Eye (It was the first Skarmory I caught and levelled)

Move 1: Fly
    Move 2: Spikes
    Move 3: Night Slash
    Move 4: Steel Wng

Pokemon 4:

Species: Flygon
    Item: Life Orb
    Nature: Bashful
    Ability: Levitate

Move 1: Crunch
    Move 2: Dragon Claw
    Move 3: Rock Slide
    Move 4: Earthquake

Pokemon 5:

Species: Lucario
    Item: Expert Belt
    Nature: Bold
    Ability: Steadfast

Move 1: Dark Pulse
    Move 2: Aura Sphere
    Move 3: Dragon Pulse
    Move 4: Flash Cannon

Pokemon 6:

Species: Aggron
    Item: Quick Claw
    Nature: Docile
    Ability: Rock Head

Move 2: Iron Tail
    Move 3: Double-Edge
    Move 4: Rock Slide

I realise my main problems are with Aggron, Flygon and Skarmory but how bad did I stuff up

"Well I'm walking by the red light
    Gonna find me all that I'm owed
    And I know where I'm gonna be then
    When the red light's gonna shine on me"

This needs some more detail. What is each pokemon's main purpose? Is one used to setup? Revenge sweep? Did you ev trained any? Why is gender important? What are people doing to make the team fail? What rules are going by? From what I can tell your team seems pretty vulnerable to special attacks, but that's all I can tell. Give more info.
    Last edited by IAintObeezy; 21st June 2013 at 2:34 AM.
    Too uncreative to make a new sig...

All but Skarmory are for sweeping, Skarmory is for spikes. I did EV Train them but I've forgotten what EVs and it is for Random Matchup Double battles with a Tyranitar + Skarmory lead

"Well I'm walking by the red light
    Gonna find me all that I'm owed
    And I know where I'm gonna be then
    When the red light's gonna shine on me"

As said before, overall your lacking pokemon that can take a special attack. Plus most of them are definitely not sweepers...

First, tyranitar ev train AT:252 DEF:252 HP:4
    Change its nature to something that decreases speed and raises either attack or defense Mostly defense because its not going to outspeed anything. Also considering its or sandstorm set up your gonna want to keep it alive as possible. which means making a habit of switching out against super effective and special attack specialty pokemon. Replace dragon claw with stealth rock.

Metagross AT: 252 Speed:252 Def:4
    Gain a nature that raises speed. Replace toxic orb with flame orb since your team is def base your gonna gain more from lowering their attack. Replace psychic with zen headbutt.

Skarmory
    ...Just get rid of it. Its not useful for double battles as much as single battles...

Lucario AT:252 Speed:252 HP:4
    Do you know how natures work because these are the worst natures you are giving to your pokemon. Anyways, give it either a timid nature or or adamant.

Aggron Def: 252 AT:252 HP:4
    Your wasting its potential! Rock head head smash combo works like a charm...if its still alive to pull it off. Give it iron head or heavy smash instead of iron tail and replace double edge with fire punch. Finally make it a brave nature.

Find something that can absorb special attacks and dish them out. I wouldnt call myself the best at competitive battles but i think this would help you out a little more
    Too uncreative to make a new sig...

Quote Originally Posted by IAintObeezy View Post
    As said before, overall your lacking pokemon that can take a special attack. Plus most of them are definitely not sweepers...

First, tyranitar ev train AT:252 DEF:252 HP:4
    Change its nature to something that decreases speed and raises either attack or defense Mostly defense because its not going to outspeed anything. Also considering its or sandstorm set up your gonna want to keep it alive as possible. which means making a habit of switching out against super effective and special attack specialty pokemon. Replace dragon claw with stealth rock.

Metagross AT: 252 Speed:252 Def:4
    Gain a nature that raises speed. Replace toxic orb with flame orb since your team is def base your gonna gain more from lowering their attack. Replace psychic with zen headbutt.

Skarmory
    ...Just get rid of it. Its not useful for double battles as much as single battles...

Lucario AT:252 Speed:252 HP:4
    Do you know how natures work because these are the worst natures you are giving to your pokemon. Anyways, give it either a timid nature or or adamant.

Aggron Def: 252 AT:252 HP:4
    Your wasting its potential! Rock head head smash combo works like a charm...if its still alive to pull it off. Give it iron head or heavy smash instead of iron tail and replace double edge with fire punch. Finally make it a brave nature.

Find something that can absorb special attacks and dish them out. I wouldnt call myself the best at competitive battles but i think this would help you out a little more
    Much of this is not good advice.

You don't want to use minus speed natures for Tyranitar or Aggron unless you're intending to run a Trick Room Team (or abusing Gyro Ball). You have the right idea in the sense that you don't want to use a speed boosting nature if a Pokemon is too slow, but that does not mean you want to decrease their speed. This can cause them to be outsped by things like opposing Pokemon of the same species, and certain defensive Pokemon. Example: TTar normally outspeeds and destroys Jellicent with Crunch, but with a speed decreasing nature, Jellicent outspeeds it and can cripple it with Will-o-Wisp. If you're using a fully physical, but slow Pokemon, and not running a Trick Room team, you want to use Adamant Nature.

Metagross also does not want a Jolly Nature unless it's intending to run an Agiligross set. Once you get to about base 80 speed, anything below that threshold typically doesn't really appreciate a speed boosting nature (although this is not always the case). It too would prefer Adamant for more power.

Suggesting Timid or Adamant for the same Lucario set seems silly, considering one is minus attack while the other is minus special attack. Adamant is great for physical Lucario, but if he's using a special set... not so much.

Metagross does not want to be carrying a Flame Orb under any circumstances, ever. It is a terrible idea to carry a Flame Orb just to use Trick; Taunt, Protect, and Flinch (i.e., fake out) will all stop the Trick, causing Flame Orb to activate on Metagross itself. In which case Metagross just screwed itself, since the burn cripples its attack that it relies so heavily on (Clear Body does not protect from Burn's Attack Drop), in addition to subjecting itself to periodic damage. Both Protect and Fake Out are very common in doubles, too, so you don't ever want to risk that. Tricking a Flame Orb is better left to something like Reuniclus, since it doesn't use its attack, and Magic Guard prevents the periodic damage, so even if it does activate before Tricking it away, the burn effectively grants an immunity to more harmful status (i.e., Sleep). In general, you want to use Trick with items that don't necessarily harm you, or can actually help you, but would screw another Pokemon if they received it (a common example being tricking a Choice Scarf onto a defensive Pokemon).

Anyway.

The real problem your team has is that you're just stacking Pokemon whose type makes it so they don't take damage from Sandstorm. As a result you have gaping holes in your team defensively. Nothing in your team can take a water type attack, so if rain goes up, and surfs and hydro pumps start getting sent your way? You might as well throw in the towel. Fighting type attacks present a similar issue, as everything in your team takes no less than neutral damage from them. Considering fighting and water are two of the most commonly used offensive types, it's no wonder you have problems in random matchups.

So basically; not all Pokemon on your team have to be Rock, Steel, or Ground types just because you're using Tyranitar and Sandstorm. Keep in mind that for doubles, there isn't usually quite as much setup, and it's much more fast paced; you're not going to be going for extended stall with Sandstorm or anything. And that's assuming Sandstorm even stays up the entire time, considering it can be replaced with Rain or Hail or something. Plus the aforementioned type redundancies... yeah.

You need an answer to fighting and water types or they'll run right through your team. As such I'd recommend a better dragon than Flygon; either Salamence or Latios. Both resist water and fighting, giving a much needed defensive pivot. Salamence's intimidate helps buffer physical attacks, but Latios adds a better special presence, which your team tends to lack. Latios would probably be the better option overall. Something along the lines of...

Latios @ Dragon Gem
    Modest/Timid Nature
    Levitate
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
    -Draco Meteor/Dragon Pulse
    -Protect
    -HP Fire/Surf
    -Psychock

Draco Meteor vs. Dragon Pulse is whether you want to fire insanely powerful strikes from the start, or have more sustained power over the long run. Though the stat drop from Draco Meteor may seem lame, not much outside of steel types and Blissey can stomach a Gem-boosted Draco Meteor, so I've always been fond of it for the fast-paced double battle setting. While Surf could be considered an option due to its double battle prowess, none of your other Pokemon want to be hit by it, so it's ill advised. However, if you start abusing Protect, then you can utilize Surf in place of HP Fire. HP Fire helps with steel types, however.

For Metagross, replace Trick with Protect. It's less gimmicky, and can allow you to fire off Earthquakes from a partner without worrying about Metagross being caught in the crossfire. Also, replace Toxic Orb with Lum Berrry. This prevents Metagross from being easily countered by status.

For Tyranitar, replace Dragon Claw with Protect. Same reason as Metagross. It's a better choice than Stealth Rock, which isn't quite as necessary for doubles, since there's less switching and phasing is less common (if used at all) as well.

I'd also replace Aggron with Excadrill. If you're doing random matchups, the ban on Excadrill isn't in effect. For this reason, it'll prove to be much more reliable than Aggron as a physical attacker, since its Sand Rush ability gives it ridiculous speed, and it has plenty of power to boot. Something along the lines of...

Excadrill @ Life Orb
    Adamant Nature
    Sand Rush
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk /252 Spe
    -Earthquake
    -Rock Slide
    -X-Scissor
    -Protect

Self explanatory. STAB EQ is great for doubles, as is Rock Slide. X-Scissor can give you a bit more coverage, while Protect lets Excadrill be shielded from allied Earthquakes (not to mention attacks sent its way by the foe).

On a side note though, since Excadrill and Metagross have similar weaknesses, I'd personally end up replacing Metagross, but that's another matter altogether... Too lazy to think of a replacement for him right now anyway.

Skarmory is really not doing much, imo. It's a great physical wall, but only in singles. In doubles it doesn't do much of anything, and setting up spikes will just give your opponent a chance to plow through you virtually unhindered. As such, I'd suggest changing it to something else. I'd suggest you replace Skarmory with Rotom-W. It's bulky, and it offers a new set of resistances and coverage that you don't already have. It also works as a nice anti-rain Pokemon, which can be hugely threatening to your team.

Rotom-W @ Choice Specs
    Modest Nature
    Levitate
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
    -Volt Switch/Thunderbolt
    -Hydro Pump
    -HP Ice
    -Trick

And here we have an actually good use of Trick. Rotom-W can keep its Choice Specs, and hit crazy hard with its attacks. Volt Switch vs. Thunderbolt depends on if you want to play mind games with switches, or stay in and just pound away. And if you run into a physical attacker or a defensive Pokemon, you can Trick your Choice Specs onto them, screwing them by locking them into their attacks without giving them any benefits.

Lucario... I'm not seeing much good from him. He's neither fast nor bulky, and although he's got a respectable special attack and a solid movepool, it's not so great in doubles. I'd personally replace it with a fighting type who isn't weak to the omnipresent Earthquakes. Namely, the doubles star, Hitmontop.

Hitmontop @ Fighting Gem
    Adamant Nature
    Intimidate
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
    -Close Combat
    -Sucker Punch
    -Fake Out
    -Wide Guard

The tried and true Doubles Hitmontop. It acts as a buffer against physical threats due to Intimidate, Wide Guard lets it stop the Omnipresent Earthquakes and Rock Slides cold, Fake Out can lock down a foe on the first turn, and gem-boosted Close Combat will blow things to pieces.

Have fun.
    Competitive/IGRMT Mod and one of the writers for the PotW.

I make no claim of being perfect or always right. Take everything I say with a grain of salt.

Put bullet punch on metagross you are missing out on a priority move for flygon swap it out with a choice scarfed garchomp there faster and stronger with an example moveset like
    Crunch/fire fang for steal or physic
    Earthquake to take advantage of stab
    Outrage/dragon claw stab
    Protect/stonedge
    Jolly/ adamant nature
    Dragons are your friends
    Currently looking for
    For trade (shiny flawless) almost any legendary or any normal Pokemon
    Also ev train and I'v bread 1-3 stats and natures with egg moves