Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Change Your Passwords - Today's Occurrences

Quote Originally Posted by Dragrath View Post
    don't mess with hackers... it doesn't end well (It's like messing with the guy who has a gun don't do it)
    He hacked Pokémon forums... I don't think "messing" with him would do any harm. vB 4's security isn't exactly the greatest.

TBTF EGC ACbay deviantART RNtMA
    Friend Safari: Shellgon, Gabite, Druddigon

3DS FC: 2320 6135 5667
    NN ID: TheUglyBarnacle

Quote Originally Posted by Dragrath View Post
    don't mess with hackers... it doesn't end well (It's like messing with the guy who has a gun don't do it)
    I sorta agree. It can't end well.

It is good things are normal now again though.
    My Pokémon brings all the nerds to the yard
    They're like,"Hey, wanna trade cards?"
    Darn right, I wanna trade cards
    I'll trade you my Pikachu but not my Charizard

I also have changed my password on Bulbagarden because I see him attacking that website.

I advice that to the CNI (Comosión Nacional de Inteligencia) (the FBI of Espańa) to know this case.

I changed Serebii, Bulbagarden (I had the same password and if the hacker detect @Nymphia) and gmail accounts.
    Last edited by Eievui-Nymphia; 27th June 2013 at 9:51 PM.
    I think that Pokemon is beautiful and has its charm

Serebii, Bulbagarden

Note: I decided to not post post that had cause hate to me anymore. If you see one, please PM me and I will delete the moment I'm aware and I'm online.

I need to take a break in the anime forum because these forum bored me.

What would happen if I don't change my password? I'm pretty lazy.
    3DS Friendcode: 5198-2496-8383

I'm no expert when it comes to legal troubles, but hacking a website is vandalism if you destroy things on it, just hacking a website is illegal in my opinion. If the culprits that hacked this site get caught can't they get in trouble? Hackers are quick and slippery, hopefully the ones responsible will get caught.

My Friend Code for my 3ds! My friend Safari Type is Poison
    1693 1038 1902

What did he do exactly? I missed all the fun.

Quote Originally Posted by *IZ* View Post
    Given the hacker gained access to the database, he would have been able to download hashes of everyone's passwords (the passwords are not stored in plaintext anywhere). He could then run a dictionary attack on all the password hashes, and if you're using a simple dictionary word as your password he would be able to find it and then get into your account specifically or into your e-mail account or some other account you may have that uses the same password. If your password is short he could also run a brute-force attack on the whole list and find it that way, and technically he could run a brute-force attack for several years to find all of the passwords in the database, though that's unlikely. This is assuming vBulletin 4's password hashing is decent; I haven't actually studied it.

All in all it's fairly unlikely anything bad will happen, but it's still better to do it.
    Last edited by Dragonfree; 27th June 2013 at 9:50 PM.

Chapter 64: Hide and Seek
    The story of an ordinary boy on an impossible quest in a world that isn't as black and white as he always thought it was.
    (rough draft of the remaining chapters finished for NaNoWriMo; to be edited and posted)

Morphic
    (completed, plus silly extras)
    A few scientists get drunk and start fiddling with gene splicing. Ten years later, they're taking care of eight half-Pokémon kids, each freakier than the next, while a religious fanatic plots to murder them all.

Lengthy fanfiction reviewing guide / A more condensed version
    Read and I will be very happy for a large number of reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by *IZ* View Post
    I assume since the hacker got into the database (I understood that correctly, yes?), he'll have your username and password. It only takes a second to do it. Better safe than sorry, I'd say (yeah, changed mine).

Seriously, this person is truly a pathetic waste of skin. Making people spend hours fixing the damage just for yuks. This is the mark of someone who only cares about themselves, and doesn't give a rat's *** about anyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Tumblr User Godiscobalt
    “A good writer with a sad idea and a malicious side is a person to fear.”
    My writing blog

Spoiler:- Contact Info:

I know, crisis and all, but jf he does it again, I won't care. Because he just changed the layout and messed up the themes. Big deal. No need to get the FBI on the case, geez. Calm down, for two seconds, okay? Also stop fanboying, other sites probably didn't get rage from it. "Oh no our precious site that cost Ł100 from my piggy bank!" No.

~Banner by Sworn Metalhead~

Quote Originally Posted by NintendoFan82 View Post
    I'm no expert when it comes to legal troubles, but hacking a website is vandalism in my opinion. If the culprits that hacked this site get caught can't they get in trouble? Hackers are quick and slippery, hopefully the ones responsible will get caught.
    Yes, but if the hacker did a well enough job of hiding himself (proxies, etc.) I could see law enforcement simply not caring enough to do much.
    Regardless, if the hacker lives in America I could see things getting tricky considering Joe lives in... erm, not America.

I dunno where Joe lives, actually... but I know it's not America.

I changed my password, but I still feel unsafe.
    Maybe it's because I'm prone to worrying...
    We all make mistakes, but the biggest one we can make is not learning from them.

So what exactly did they do? Changed some templates or put a bad picture when accessing Serebii??At least it got fixed soon.
    Add me on Pokemon X! FC- 2809-9372-1773

Looking For Shiny Tyrunt!

Geez ..... I'm glad Serebii fixed the problem.
    Last edited by PokemontrainerY; 28th June 2013 at 8:26 PM.
    Pokémon XY

Kalos, Where Dreams and Adventures Begin!

Quote Originally Posted by DaDonYordel View Post
    Are we not just silly people writing silly complaints on this message board?

Quote Originally Posted by Kelz View Post
    Yes, but if the hacker did a well enough job of hiding himself (proxies, etc.) I could see law enforcement simply not caring enough to do much.
    Regardless, if the hacker lives in America I could see things getting tricky considering Joe lives in... erm, not America.

Yeah thats true. Some hackers cover up their tracks pretty well, and then theres the idiot hackers who don't cover up their tracks at all. I think Joe lives in the United Kingdom I believe, someone may wanna correct me on that if i'm wrong.

1693 1038 1902

Do you think it'd be a good idea to change our usernames too?

Black2/
    Heart Gold/X Trainer Card:
    • Name- Dale Hudson
    • Status- Stopping the battle with Tierno after Tyrunt started acting a little out of control
    • Idols- Tucker Satoshi, Red, Cynthia, Alder, Lance
    • Hometown- Aspertia City, Unova, USA
    • Graduated from- Aspertia Academy

Quote Originally Posted by Kelz View Post

Well according to the person's Twitter account, they're from the Netherlands, so assuming that's even true, law enforcement really won't care, especially FBI.
    SPPf Bros. Kerfuffle //AC Dream Address: 4300 2225 3013 // Most Recent Shiny: Mienfoo

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Munchlax View Post
    Seems a bit drastic...
    We all make mistakes, but the biggest one we can make is not learning from them.

Basically, he got into one admin's account, possibly because they used the same password as on one of the other forums that have been hit. Using that account, he gained access to my account, locking me out. With my account, he installed a plugin, the extent of which we do not know (I have since deleted it) which may have given him access to a part of the user database, edited the templates to prevent access to the forum and then posted about it.

We don't believe he got the entire database due to no significant increase in queries or bandwidth, but we can't be too sure. I have sent e-mails to the accounts I know have been compromised, and I am deeply sorry if you are one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Serebii View Post
    Basically, he got into one admin's account, possibly because they used the same password as on one of the other forums that have been hit. Using that account, he gained access to my account, locking me out. With my account, he installed a plugin, the extent of which we do not know (I have since deleted it) which may have given him access to a part of the user database, edited the templates to prevent access to the forum and then posted about it.

We don't believe he got the entire database due to no significant increase in queries or bandwidth, but we can't be too sure. I have sent e-mails to the accounts I know have been compromised, and I am deeply sorry if you are one of them.
    Okay, bit of paranoia here, but I want to be damn sure: I wasn't one of 'em, was I? I wouldn't have gotten that email unless you sent it to my new one. My old gmail account (the one I had set on here until just a bit ago) was hacked by a spambot a long time ago, so I haven't been able to access it for months. I changed my password and email (and I assume since I'm able to post this message I'm safe, but still, I'm paranoid), so I should be fine, but still curious.

Quote Originally Posted by Tumblr User Godiscobalt
    “A good writer with a sad idea and a malicious side is a person to fear.”
    My writing blog

Spoiler:- Contact Info:

So it would appear he didn't technically get in through "hacking," rather by compromising an Admin account....
    WEAK.

Quote Originally Posted by gustavo 14 View Post
    Well according to the person's Twitter account, they're from the Netherlands, so assuming that's even true, law enforcement really won't care, especially FBI.
    I hope someone hacks this scumbags twitter account. His karma will come someday. What comes around goes around.

1693 1038 1902

Will you be sending out these emails manually? Since emails from here are usually delayed. Isn't your account protected from being edited or did he get around that? Do you still have the plugin so you can look through it's code to see what it can do?

Button by WereDragn
    Looking for Feedback (no registration required)
    (oh yeah, if you didn't know, my PM box is still full...)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Munchlax View Post
    No.

Anyway I changed my password to be on the safe side. It's sad that someone like Root in a Box would go the extra lap and hack big Pokémon community groups and even a simulator.

May I also remind you that my location was changed to my current one before this all happened too, I don't want anyone to keep VMing me that I was in this mess.

yeah i don't think he got any personal stuff of mine as well out of parnoia i changed all my passwords as well as my e-mail accounts anyway...also checked my e-mail and no message so im safe...that makes me feel better...thanks for having everyone back here serebii, that is very kind of you....

If you like sailor moon click on the banner and join the club!
    IGN: Allie
    3ds wfc 1693-1320-3008
    PS Name: FairyWitch824
    master league and shadow star league fairy gym leader and SV is 1846
    My Guild~Guild Tours~Guild's Spread~Guild's Xat Chat~Yugioh Club~Deviant Art~Fire Type Club

Quote Originally Posted by Virtual Headache View Post
    Will you be sending out these emails manually? Since emails from here are usually delayed. Isn't your account protected from being edited or did he get around that? Do you still have the plugin so you can look through it's code to see what it can do?
    Sent the e-mails manually. Fixed the e-mail delay problem this morning anyway. Account wasn't protected for some reason, but it is now. The plugin was instantly deleted, sorry.

Hey everyone, is Smogon back down? I got a message that said that the domain is up but no content has been added to the site.

I can't even access cached copies of the pages like I could a couple of weeks ago when this happened. I don't know much about how the Internet works, but this looks pretty bad.

3DS FC: 5129-1087-8128 Friend Safari: Phanpy, Dugtrio, Diggersby
    IGN: Varanus ~I have officially claimed Chompy!~

Quote Originally Posted by DarkLucarioADV View Post
    Varanus already said not to and she's smarter than me so I should Listen to her.
    -------

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast