Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Change Your Passwords - Today's Occurrences

Quote Originally Posted by bobandbill View Post
    Assuming it's the same guy, it doesn't mean that he got them all now. Possible, but not a given.
    Well according to what that guy said, a forum software upgrade or even a simple telling people to change their passwords won't solve it. What else can we do?

Ask me stupid stuff
    Credit for the Banner goes to Sworn Metalhead

I think I'm gonna cry. This is horrible. I'm so scared. ;_;

Quote Originally Posted by Keldminrachi91 View Post
    Wait, so what exactly has been going on? I understand that someone has just been randomly hacking forums, etc, but is that all?
    Basically. And it's not entirely random. He's hacking sites that may have similar staff or users in order to gain access to other sites thus increasing his little collection of hacked user accounts. If he's the same guy who hacked Game Maker (which I think someone pointed out earlier), then he's probably selling the usernames and passwords to his friends. Which is why the staff across all forums are recommending everyone changes their passwords.

TBTF EGC ACbay deviantART RNtMA
    Friend Safari: Shellgon, Gabite, Druddigon

3DS FC: 2320 6135 5667
    NN ID: TheUglyBarnacle

How do I lock my Serebii account? This whole discussion is terrifying me greatly.

Quote Originally Posted by AllHailThrall View Post
    How do I lock my Serebii account? This whole discussion is terrifying me greatly.
    Relax. He is after more important clientele. He does have a specific target.

Ask me stupid stuff

If you insist. I'm still gonna have trouble sleeping tonight (and if I can sleep I'll probably have nightmares) but thanks for making an attempt at reassuring me after that fire-and-brimstone talk about "changing your password won't help". Still panicking like a frightened child though.

I just looked up if it was illegal to hack forums, and a youtube video appeared and the title was "how to hack a forums {ANY} this is not illegal."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdCsuCs59ks
    Black 2/Heartgold/X Trainer Card-

Name: Tyler Dure
    Status: Looking in shock at seeing the Tower of Mastery explode and fall apart into rubble
    Hometown: Virbank City, Unova, US
    Idols: Krisi Jackson, Lance, Wallace, Cynthia, Alder, Tucker Satoshi, Austin

"You can't put a limit on anything. The more you dream, the farther you get." -MP

If you insist. I'm still gonna have trouble sleeping tonight (and if I can sleep I'll probably have nightmares) but thanks for making an attempt at reassuring me after that fire-and-brimstone talk about "changing your password won't help". Still panicking like a frightened child though.
    Unless your password for your email address is the same, you are fine. If not, change it, then clear your cookies. That's probably your best option.

Quote Originally Posted by Pokemon,master View Post
    I just looked up if it was illegal to hack forums, and a youtube video appeared and the title was "how to hack a forums {ANY} this is not illegal."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdCsuCs59ks
    this guy isn't even actually hacking anything.
    He is just clearing his cookies

Ask me stupid stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Yveltal96 View Post
    Unless your password for your email address is the same, you are fine. If not, change it, then clear your cookies. That's probably your best option.
    This, and any accounts you may have associated with your email used for SPPf should probably get a new password as well (assuming any of those accounts share the same password you use on SPPf).

Oh, crap I'm sorry i didn't even watch the video. I'm panicking so I just thought that the video was actually hacking.

Can't serebii be locked down or something? So the hacker can't get our personal info.
    Black 2/Heartgold/X Trainer Card-

Name: Tyler Dure
    Status: Looking in shock at seeing the Tower of Mastery explode and fall apart into rubble
    Hometown: Virbank City, Unova, US
    Idols: Krisi Jackson, Lance, Wallace, Cynthia, Alder, Tucker Satoshi, Austin

"You can't put a limit on anything. The more you dream, the farther you get." -MP

That's the thing, it was the same. >> That's why I am panicking so much.

That's the thing, it was the same. >> That's why I am panicking so much.
    Then change it?

Ask me stupid stuff

I did change it and clear my cookies. That's not going to help me stop panicking. I always worry about the "what-ifs" and "what could happens" and "oh my goodness why" kind of stuff. Very high-strung and nervous.

I did change it and clear my cookies. That's not going to help me stop panicking. I always worry about the "what-ifs" and "what could happens" and "oh my goodness why" kind of stuff. Very high-strung and nervous.
    I understand. I have been hacked many times before (bank account included) so I guess I am not so worried about it.

Ask me stupid stuff

Okay, did you get an email from Joe saying that your account was one of the compromised ones? If you did, change all passwords for your email accounts and any accounts that use the same email OR password.
    If you didn't get that email, calm down. Use a password for Serebii that you do not use for anything else. That way if your account were to get hacked in the future, it would only be your Serebii account. Nothing else.

People are taking this way out of proportion. As long as you spend two minutes taking the proper precautions that have been recommended multiple times you should be safe.

Add onto that a stressful summer involving health problems in the family... yeah, not a very calm camper over here. And no, I did not get an email saying my account was compromised. I didn't know people whose accounts were compromised got emails. And by the way I take everything way out of proportion. x-x Big problem with me.
    Last edited by AllHailThrall; 28th June 2013 at 1:45 AM.

Add onto that a stressful summer involving health problems in the family... yeah, not a very calm camper over here. And no, I did not get an email saying my account was compromised. I didn't know people whose accounts were compromised got emails.
    Joe said something about it a few pages back. And yeah, I hear ya about stressful times. This year so far has seen my grandmother, mother, and a cat I've had for 13 years die. I've been really emotional this year.

But yeah, everything should be fine. The password the hacker got is an old one I never use. The one I changed it to goes to several other things, but not my bank account or email, so hey.

Quote Originally Posted by Tumblr User Godiscobalt
    “A good writer with a sad idea and a malicious side is a person to fear.”
    My writing blog

Spoiler:- Contact Info:

Quote Originally Posted by MooseSmuggler View Post
    Joe said something about it a few pages back. And yeah, I hear ya about stressful times. This year so far has seen my grandmother, mother, and a cat I've had for 13 years die. I've been really emotional this year.

But yeah, everything should be fine. The password the hacker got is an old one I never use. The one I changed it to goes to several other things, but not my bank account or email, so hey.
    That is never a good idea to keep all your passwords the same. I have all of mine different and as a randomized series of letters, numbers, and symbols, and keep them written in a book I keep by my bed. When your families bank accounts, and emails have been hacked, you get to know these sorts of things >.<

Ask me stupid stuff

Well according to what that guy said, a forum software upgrade or even a simple telling people to change their passwords won't solve it. What else can we do?
    What he says may not be necessarily true, or be referring to a different forum software, or be outdated information (a lot can change in two months).

A lot of you are panicking, but I wouldn't get too worried. In the very worst case scenario: he has everyone's encrypted passwords and emails, and needs to break them. If you just change all your passwords everywhere to make sure they're not simple to guess or break (ie too short, or stuff like 'secret' or 'password' or a common dictionary word with no numbers or etc) and that it's different to passwords you used for any forums including this one, you'll be fine. Because then nothing can happen if all is had is an old password.

It seems more like he's just doing it for the fun of it, given he's going after a lot of sites, with Pokemon ones being the flavour of the day or whatnot.

A parody of the Pokemon Colosseum game, full of pastries and Miror B.
    Completed. Four times winner of Best Comedy/Funniest Fic.

The BBS Forums! Join for the post blitz and events now!
    Gain achievements for activity on forums & the games!

Tied to this Pokemon Magazine! Looking for contributors - check it out!
    Why should you? Well, Wynaut?
    Current article: Fashion Focus: Team Magma and Team Aqua! What's the verdict on the new outfits?
    Avatar by minty-fivestar on DA, with edited background/cropping. Fic banner by cieux.

Quote Originally Posted by Yveltal96 View Post
    That is never a good idea to keep all your passwords the same. I have all of mine different and as a randomized series of letters, numbers, and symbols, and keep them written in a book I keep by my bed. When your families bank accounts, and emails have been hacked, you get to know these sorts of things >.<
    Yeah, all my passwords were different, but with a similar base. Now, I've gone and changed every password for anything I use to be drastically different in size and makeup. In fact, as long as everyone actually changes up passwords and the like, there should be no reason to panic so much. That's just exactly what he wants from us, so if we just get over it, it's better for everyone here.
    AC Dream Address: 4300 2225 3013 // Most Recent Shiny: Mienfoo // RU RMT

So I just changed my password.
    Is it safer if we use words that are not in a dictionary, like a name for example?

Quote Originally Posted by gustavo 14 View Post
    Yeah, all my passwords were different, but with a similar base. Now, I've gone and changed every password for anything I use to be drastically different in size and makeup. In fact, as long as everyone actually changes up passwords and the like, there should be no reason to panic so much. That's just exactly what he wants from us, so if we just get over it, it's better for everyone here.
    Exactly, you said everything I was just about to say but differently worded.

I had a gut feeling something bad was gonna happen so about a month or two ago I started changing my passwords and even abandoned the email account tied to mah serebii account. So ha! I was one step ahead of dat hacker.

Ths is why Gustavo was Validectorian, because he's a smart guy.

Yah wasn't Smogon down like a week ago? I wonder if it gets hacked often...
    I want to trade this beast from my HeartGold as soon as I get my Wi-Fi crap down.
    Message me if you are interested.
    (Not Reserved)
    Lonely Nature
    Likes to thrash about, with Pokerus smile
    Moveset:
    1. Dragon Claw
    2. Earthquake
    3. Counter
    4. Fire Punch
    Stats:
    HP: 345
    Attack: 419
    Defense: 310
    Sp. Atk: 240
    Sp. Def: 210
    Speed: 221
    What I want for it is undecided, most likely a good Arceus because I want to unlock the Sinjo Ruins event from my HeartGold. The trade does not have to be shiny for shiny.

Quote Originally Posted by Zorocario View Post
    Exactly, you said everything I was just about to say but differently worded.

I had a gut feeling something bad was gonna happen so about a month or two ago I started changing my passwords and even abandoned the email account tied to mah serebii account. So ha! I was one step ahead of dat hacker.

Ths is why Gustavo was Validectorian, because he's a smart guy.
    Well, I'm one among many, so it doesn't mean as much on the internet.
    Though I wish I had waited before updating my email from the account that I abandoned too, considering this was all of a few days ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Ducky209 View Post
    Yah wasn't Smogon down like a week ago? I wonder if it gets hacked often...
    Smogon is actually still down for the same reason, if I recall correctly. Though it seems that they may have been hit harder than Serebii, since nothing is working there.
    AC Dream Address: 4300 2225 3013 // Most Recent Shiny: Mienfoo // RU RMT

I do know the passwords I use for forums are different to my email, so I guess I'm alright but what the heck I changed mine here anyway just in case.

Thank you staff!

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast