Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why Does This Game Receive So Much Hate?

Wow, interesting stuff guys, although I have to say that I agree with Dragoniss, BCVM22, and ThorMX. Sorry JB, but I just can't agree with your opinions on the game, and I have to say that BCVM22 DID make some good points against your arguments. Now, I don't want to start a fight or anything, since I just wanted to say that. And I totally agree with you ThorMX! That would be awesome! Now, only if I had a 3DS... maybe for Christmas... maybe. >.<
    Reality is a lovely place, but I wouldn't wanna live there... ~ The Real World by Owl City

Really the only thing I didn't like about this game was the announcer. I DEFINITELY prefer the Stadium announcer to the one from Battle Revolution. Other than that, I didn't really mind it. It was basically a Stadium 3, except with a crappy announcer.

Quote Originally Posted by BCVM22 View Post
    You're still judging the game unfairly on the basis of material that was never part of the plan.
    I'm judging the game based on the quality presented of the previous games that served the same purpose.

It's like if Nintendo released another side-scrolling Mario but took out the mushrooms. People will complain about because it used to be standard.

I can sure as hell argue how baseless some of the criticisms of PBR are, much less on the tissue-thin basis that it didn't contain some pointless frivolities that people like to think enhanced a previous experience far more than they actually did.
    Your arguments wouldn't be right. Especially if you try to tell people that they really didn't enjoy the features of the previously released games as much as they thought they did.

Quote Originally Posted by Jb View Post
    It's like if Nintendo released another side-scrolling Mario but took out the mushrooms. People will complain about because it used to be standard.
    "Mushrooms", if we're really having this discussion, are a core element of the gameplay of a core Mario title. Minigames and a forgettable story mode are not core elements of a series of video games that have always existed for the purpose of letting you battle your Pokémon as 3D models on your television as opposed to sprites on a tiny handheld screen.

Quote Originally Posted by Jb View Post
    Especially if you try to tell people that they really didn't enjoy the features of the previously released games as much as they thought they did.
    I didn't say anything about enjoyment. I said, verbatim, that they didn't enhance the previous games anywhere near as much as people like to claim. Which they didn't - saying the minigames were the best part of Pokémon Stadium is like visiting a city full of world-class restaurants and then eating at McDonald's the entire time. It's missing the point entirely.

-----
    Never underestimate the power of stupidity, of the one and of the many.
    Words to|live by

points to rental battles

Giving yourself a restriction of not being unable to use your own party is a bit odd at first but it can become quite enjoyable. I remember as a kid being unable to beat the Pika Cup on Pokemon Stadium, my friend was able to breeze through it using rental Pokemon. The difference was the fact that "strategy" wasn't very prominent in the first two generations and considering how it really started to kick in back then, there was little to no point to the rental Pokemon and as previously mentioned; you're buying these games to see your team in 3D.

The mini-games were fluff but it was more the convenience of being able to take a break (sort of) without changing cartridges. It might be fluff but those are some brownie points going down the drain. Colosseum and XD did have story modes which were the main part of the games and allowed you to capture your own team there and take on challenges using them whether be part of the story or campaign.

Battle Revolution is just more of the same, more battles similar to the style of the previous 3D entries; rental battles, level 30 and up battles, set level 50 battles, baby battles, and a 100 battle challenge. The only problem is that the later 4 would have to be unlocked after completing the main campaign which is people's main gripe.

No less, you're still getting the exact same bang for your buck and there's little point in buying this game unless you have a portable game due to how brutal it can get later on. I won't lie though, the Masters Battles did provide some interesting ideas for strategy. As for the online, battle styles were limited probably due to the slow flashiness and the Wii's online was horrid in general.
        Spoiler:- 3DS friend-code:

I also enjoyed this game, mostly due to the visual appeal of it. It almost felt like a small extension of the game, using your team a little longer after beating D/P just for some fun. It never stood well as a stand-alone game but it did have a nice feel to it and I appreciated it...

I do understand why this game got so much hate especially from a competitive standpoint. It would also definitely feel lackluster if you were expecting it to be like Colosseum.
    FC: 4468-2026-1764

Credit to GameMaster10.

I will admit that I haven't played this game in a while, but from what I can recall there was no options to properly rent Pokemon like in Stadium 1 and 2 (please do correct me if I'm wrong). I would have liked if there was a way to do this, as I found renting Pokemon one of the best things about Stadium 1 and 2. I would also have liked the game a lot more if there were a few other game modes, eg. minigames or something a bit more laid back than constant battling.

Quote Originally Posted by IgnorantLobster View Post
    I will admit that I haven't played this game in a while, but from what I can recall there was no options to properly rent Pokemon like in Stadium 1 and 2 (please do correct me if I'm wrong).
    http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Rental_Pass

-----
    Words to|live by

Oh, my bad. I would still like if they were more customizable.

Quote Originally Posted by Cobalt2 View Post
    I also enjoyed this game, mostly due to the visual appeal of it. It almost felt like a small extension of the game, using your team a little longer after beating D/P just for some fun. It never stood well as a stand-alone game but it did have a nice feel to it and I appreciated it...

I do understand why this game got so much hate especially from a competitive standpoint. It would also definitely feel lackluster if you were expecting it to be like Colosseum.
    I agree with all of this, although I have to admit that I have never played Colosseum.
    Reality is a lovely place, but I wouldn't wanna live there... ~ The Real World by Owl City

Yeah it's disappointing that you need to buy another Pokémon game to actually play the full thing, but other than that it's great!

Imo, Colosseum was FAR better. Catching PKMN was more fun than rental cards, and the fact that their were more options of PKMN was awesome. It's boring- battle after battle, each one taking a long time, so much damage based on Types. I could be a powerful PKMN and lose to a Riolu, which was popular because the game was so Gen4 based. Plus, Colosseum had more things like puzzle solving and obtainings of PKMN. I feel like BR was a Gimmicky game, set on the shoulders of "Use your D/P Pokemon," and, "3D Battle models of PKMN". Pokemon Colosseum was so much more fun, and, Stadium 1/2 were too! BR was, frankly, boring in comparison to either.

Basically, I think that hate is justified.

Claimed Majora's Mask/Skull Kid | 3DSFC - 4811.7177.1372.Liam | Art by me, TIL Userbar by Astral Shadow

Formerly: Chapter of Charizard

Quote Originally Posted by Chapter of Charizard View Post
    Imo, Colosseum was FAR better. Catching PKMN was more fun than rental cards, and the fact that their were more options of PKMN was awesome. It's boring- battle after battle, each one taking a long time, so much damage based on Types. I could be a powerful PKMN and lose to a Riolu, which was popular because the game was so Gen4 based. Plus, Colosseum had more things like puzzle solving and obtainings of PKMN.
    And yet you're still trying to judge the game on the basis of material that it was never:

• Said to have
    • Going to have
    • Promised to have
    • Hinted to have

I feel like BR was a Gimmicky game, set on the shoulders of "Use your D/P Pokemon," and, "3D Battle models of PKMN". Pokemon Colosseum was so much more fun, and, Stadium 1/2 were too! BR was, frankly, boring in comparison to either.
    Come on now. No. Stop. The most basic, core purpose of the game is not a gimmick. "Gimmicky" is one of those words people like to throw around that's completely lost meaning due to being over/misused.

By your definition, the watered-down catching and overworld mechanics of Colosseum and XD were "gimmicks".

Basically, I think that hate is justified.
    Misguided and based on tissue-thin pretenses.

-----
    Words to|live by

Chapter of Charizard, BCVM did kind of nail you there- three-fourths of your criticisms are either things that Stadium did just as much as PBR, or based in nothing. Your well-trained imported Pokemon isn't going to lose to a Riolu because PBR gives Gen IV pokemon hax.

Honestly, I'm surprised people aren't bringing up the more arbitrary mechanical limitations; that you can't use a Pokemon from your DS game in more than one pass, that PBR save files are tied to individual save files of individual cards, that you can only get one of each reward for that save file, that some Collusseums enforce item clause while others don't, yet the game doesn't give you the power to switch items from within itself, etc. You really don't need to even bring up rental Pokemon to attack PBR, it's mechanically limited for no reason at all in ways even being a potentially rushed game could not explain.

Not that it doesn't do it's job absolutely beautifully once you get around all the silly hiccups. I've played it a bunch, even got a near full pile of friend passes, which eases the pain of the lack of rentals (Which I really can't blame GS for cutting, they'd need nearly 500 of them) considerably.

^ Never underestimate the ability of 1 Megabyte to bring out every emotion imaginable.

Alright then, you know why this game receive so much hate? Because it's not an XD sequel. Simple.
    Too uncreative to make a new sig...

Hmmm... interesting arguments everyone. I do have to say that certain Pokémon animations can be a bit jerky or awkward at times, the menus and such COULD be a little easier to navigate, and small stuff like that would be nice to have been made a little better. But overall the game serves what it was meant to do in the first place, and does a fairly well job with it. If we can just ignore the small things with this game, I think we could all (or at least some of us) like it much more. Plus, it is nice that it is compatible with SS as well as D/P/Plt. I am sure some games like PBR wouldn't be like that... but this is all just my personal opinion of course, so please don't bash me if you don't agree. Thank you.

I hated Battle Revolution because it didn't have a story mode in the same way that I hate Pokemon Red because it wouldn't let me play as Sonic the Hedgehog.
    I used to be on this website in like 2007 when I was 11-12 years old. I'm going to assume that every single post I ever made during that time was horribly cringeworthy and I fully apologize for and shamefully redact everything that I ever said on here when I was an annoying prepubescent brat.

Quote Originally Posted by Zim Del Invasor View Post
    I hated Battle Revolution because it didn't have a story mode in the same way that I hate Pokemon Red because it wouldn't let me play as Sonic the Hedgehog.
    Haha, good point. XD

Mostly because it lacked the story/adventure aspect of ther gamecube games. Also you are pretty much forced to transfer, and if you have a decent lvl 100 team the game is way too easy. The wi fi is kind of slow and full of ragequitters.

Battle Revolution feels like Stadium, but where BR fails and Stadium succeeds is how you can just rip stadium out of the box and immediately play a match with your friend using whatever Pokemon you feel like. Then, when you feel like taking a break, you can try out the different mini-games. In comparison, it feels like you have to jump through a bunch of arbitrary hoops in BR.
    [IMG]http://oi40.*******.com/24673g8.jpg[/IMG]

Thanks to Astral Shadow and Equal-To-Heaven for the signature assets.
    [IMG]http://oi40.*******.com/aayd7r.jpg[/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by Toxicity View Post
    Battle Revolution feels like Stadium, but where BR fails and Stadium succeeds is how you can just rip stadium out of the box and immediately play a match with your friend using whatever Pokemon you feel like.
    But the eternal question remains: who would do this, and furthermore, who would complain about this? Who would buy a game that unabashedly and by its own admission exists for the essential sole purpose of battling your Pokémon on the big screen, and complain about the limited supply of rental Pokémon?

It is again and will continue to be like buying a console but no games and claiming you have nothing to play.

-----
    Words to|live by

I didn't hate it, but then again, you can't really call it a "new Pokemon game" it was a $50 battle simulator, and that's it. Other than dressing up your character, there weren't really any perks to owning it other than the pretty graphics. It was more or less just a Battle Frontier. Not saying this is necessarily bad, but there certainly could have been a lot more features to make the game have more longevity. As it stood, it was just kind of empty.
    even if we don't understand each other, that's not a reason to reject each other. There are two sides to any argument. Is there one point of view that has all the answers? Give it some thought.
    ^ This is the reason why I like arguing. If I come off as standoffish or overly angry in an argument, don't worry. I'm probably having the time of my life. Whether I agree with them or not, the pokemon fandom has a lot of different opinions, and I love how nobody is afraid to share them.

Online play is where this game shined. You got to try silly teams of odd Pokemon, because the people who played were either doing the same or using their in-game teams. There was less of a hypercompetitive bent to it.

But people dropped out of games when they were about to lose like no other game I have ever played.
    FC: 2234 - 8515 - 1161
    IGN: Nick

I thought this game was pretty easy IMHO. Also, it felt expensive for what is was, a lot of money for a pretty simple and easy game. The only decent bit was the online, but everyone decided to quit when they were about to lose (Which is a benefit of Gen VI making it count as a loss to you if you quit!)
    Too much water guys!

I love this game! I love the battling style! Before that, I just saw pokemon drop down from the screen! XD
    01010110 01001101 00100000 01101101 01100101 00100000 01101001 01100110 00100000 01111001 01101111 01110101 00100000 01100110 01101111 01110101 01101110 01100100 00100000 01101111 01110101 01110100 00100000 01110111 01101000

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast