Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 51 to 60 of 60

Thread: Why Does This Game Receive So Much Hate?

  1. #51
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    France
    Posts
    24

    Default

    Have to say the hate isn't justified. I mean, sure the rentals were pretty confusing for me, but I should say it was a nice addition especially after a monotonous Colosseum. And they had Sinnoh Pokémon, so I liked it. I didn't really see anything wrong with the online games, that was a nice new feature to enjoy, quite unexpectedly.

  2. #52
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Owl City/TARDIS (nah Ohio) :(
    Posts
    335

    Default

    Nice opinions guys! I love seeing what everyone has to say about the subject...

  3. #53
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Wherever the adventure lies
    Posts
    8,647

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BCVM22 View Post
    The box itself tells you outright that you'll have your best experience if you have a loaded Generation IV game to go with it. It's ridiculous that someone would buy this game - a game that exists for the sole purpose of allowing you to battle your hard-trained Pokémon as 3D models on your TV screen - without such a game to go with it and then complain I'M NOT HAVING FUN THIS GAME SUCKS! It's like buying a video game system but no games and then making the same complaint.

    That people are complaining that the game "didn't have a story mode" is precisely what's meant by judging the game based on one's own personal, unfounded fantasies. Where is any possible logic in criticizing a game on the basis of something it not only doesn't have, but was never said, shown or suggested to have?
    Forget what the game does or does not intend to do, the gameplay itself is just bad. You're paying $50 for a game that doesn't really have a lot of content in it (much less than the $35 main game that you'd play on your DS), and needs another game to make it work. It's DLC in a box. The complaints are justified in the sense that you're not getting what you pay for, it costs more than the main game but you get less game content for it. They don't have to do it exactly like Colosseum/XD, but it's not unreasonable to expect console games to be able to provide the same level of experience in terms of gameplay and storyline as the main games.

    Quote Originally Posted by BCVM22 View Post
    And anyone who says you didn't need a Generation I/II game to "fully enjoy" Stadium/Stadium 2 is kidding themselves. Unless you wish to commit the indignity that would be claiming that the minigames and using the rental Pokémon provides in the latter titles would somehow have been worth the price of admission on their own.

    Again - that you need a stocked handheld game to fully enjoy PBR is not a negative nor is it something that was ever hidden or masked, no matter how much people still like to complain this is the case, seven years later.
    Stadium and Stadium 2 are bad for the same reasons. PBR was just slightly worse because there was less to do in those games. But I agree, it's completely hypocritical to like Stadium/Stadium 2 and then hate PBR.

    Quote Originally Posted by BCVM22 View Post
    "Mushrooms", if we're really having this discussion, are a core element of the gameplay of a core Mario title. Minigames and a forgettable story mode are not core elements of a series of video games that have always existed for the purpose of letting you battle your Pokémon as 3D models on your television as opposed to sprites on a tiny handheld screen.
    Catching Pokemon and exploring areas are also core elements of the gameplay, and those are missing from all console games except Colosseum and XD. Story also is part of the core experience in a way, but not exactly in the way that Colosseum/XD did it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zorocario View Post
    I knew the euro crisis got out of hand but this is ridiculous, its gotten to the point were people want a part time job in a video game.

  4. #54

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bolt the Cat View Post
    Forget what the game does or does not intend to do, the gameplay itself is just bad. You're paying $50 for a game that doesn't really have a lot of content in it (much less than the $35 main game that you'd play on your DS), and needs another game to make it work. It's DLC in a box. The complaints are justified in the sense that you're not getting what you pay for, it costs more than the main game but you get less game content for it. They don't have to do it exactly like Colosseum/XD, but it's not unreasonable to expect console games to be able to provide the same level of experience in terms of gameplay and storyline as the main games.
    If you analyze the game and decide it's not value for the money for you, delightful, don't buy it, truly relevant issue that this is, some seven years later.

    But you're fooling yourself if you think that's the reason for the countless ill-conceived and unfounded complaints.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bolt the Cat View Post
    Catching Pokemon and exploring areas are also core elements of the gameplay
    Core elements of the gameplay in the core titles. This is not a core title. As I said, PBR is the most recent of a a series of video games that have always existed for the purpose of letting you battle your Pokémon as 3D models on your television as opposed to sprites on a tiny handheld screen.



    -----
    Never underestimate the power of stupidity, of the one and of the many.
    Words to|live by

  5. #55
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Wherever the adventure lies
    Posts
    8,647

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BCVM22 View Post
    If you analyze the game and decide it's not value for the money for you, delightful, don't buy it, truly relevant issue that this is, some seven years later.
    The game content has changed over the years, so no, it's still relevant. If you bought it 7 years ago or right this second, you'd still be getting significantly less game content than pretty much any main game in the series. In fact, once XY comes out it'd be even less acceptable because everything that could be done in PBR could be done in XY, and if they wanted to do another similar game, it could be done as DLC.

    Quote Originally Posted by BCVM22 View Post
    But you're fooling yourself if you think that's the reason for the countless ill-conceived and unfounded complaints.
    To the contrary, it has everything to do with it. After Colosseum and XD gave us a taste of what a console RPG is like, going back to a battle sim style game like Battle Revolution is unsatisfying. Most of these people are probably just sick of battle sim games altogether.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zorocario View Post
    I knew the euro crisis got out of hand but this is ridiculous, its gotten to the point were people want a part time job in a video game.

  6. #56

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bolt the Cat View Post
    The game content has changed over the years, so no, it's still relevant
    No, a side title two generations and seven years defunct is the definition of irrelevant at this point. But go on.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bolt the Cat View Post
    significantly less game content than pretty much any main game in the series.
    But this isn't a main game. So why is this a relevant statement?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bolt the Cat View Post
    In fact, once XY comes out it'd be even less acceptable because everything that could be done in PBR could be done in XY
    Okay... and again, the key element here: seven years. Realize what you're arguing here. Why does it matter that a current core title does some things better than a seven-year-old side title?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bolt the Cat View Post
    After Colosseum and XD gave us a taste of what a console RPG is like
    Stripped down, watered down, lacking in several elements key to the core title formula and ultimately completely forgettable? Because that's what Colosseum and XD were.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bolt the Cat View Post
    going back to a battle sim style game like Battle Revolution is unsatisfying.
    Which, again is a separate matter entirely. If you feel PBR didn't have enough content for you, fine. But for the thousandth time, don't judge it on the basis of content it was never going to have, ever, at any point.



    -----
    Never underestimate the power of stupidity, of the one and of the many.
    Words to|live by

  7. #57
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Wherever the adventure lies
    Posts
    8,647

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BCVM22 View Post
    But this isn't a main game. So why is this a relevant statement?
    Because console games should realistically provide an experience greater than or equal to the handheld games, otherwise the $20 extra dollars I pay for it is a waste of money. Even if it's not a main game, it should be able to provide a greater experience in some way. If it's not a main game, fine, but it at least it needs to be a full, independent game with at least the same length and depth as one. Not a glorified add on that requires the main games for a lesser experience.

    Quote Originally Posted by BCVM22 View Post
    Okay... and again, the key element here: seven years. Realize what you're arguing here. Why does it matter that a current core title does some things better than a seven-year-old side title?
    XY just took away the only advantage battle sims had over the main games, 3D graphics. Without that, any future battle sim game would be 100% pointless to make.

    Quote Originally Posted by BCVM22 View Post
    Stripped down, watered down, lacking in several elements key to the core title formula and ultimately completely forgettable? Because that's what Colosseum and XD were.
    Still beats Stadium, Stadium 2, and Battle Revolution. It needs improvement, sure, but it's a good start.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zorocario View Post
    I knew the euro crisis got out of hand but this is ridiculous, its gotten to the point were people want a part time job in a video game.

  8. #58

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bolt the Cat View Post
    Because console games should realistically provide an experience greater than or equal to the handheld games, otherwise the $20 extra dollars I pay for it is a waste of money. Even if it's not a main game, it should be able to provide a greater experience in some way. If it's not a main game, fine, but it at least it needs to be a full, independent game with at least the same length and depth as one. Not a glorified add on that requires the main games for a lesser experience.
    "Should" and "needs" according to what? Is there a rulebook somewhere that states this? Why does it need to be completely independent of a core title, particularly given why this series of side titles exists in the first place?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bolt the Cat View Post
    XY just took away the only advantage battle sims had over the main games, 3D graphics. Without that, any future battle sim game would be 100% pointless to make.
    And perhaps that's a major contributing factor in what future console titles we'll see, if any. But that doesn't make your comparison any better for what it is.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bolt the Cat View Post
    Still beats Stadium, Stadium 2, and Battle Revolution. It needs improvement, sure, but it's a good start.
    And yet given the extent to which the games have been buried and forgotten by those in charge, clearly someone whose decisions carry more weight disagrees with you on the extent to which it was a "good start".



    -----
    Never underestimate the power of stupidity, of the one and of the many.
    Words to|live by

  9. #59
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Wherever the adventure lies
    Posts
    8,647

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BCVM22 View Post
    "Should" and "needs" according to what? Is there a rulebook somewhere that states this? Why does it need to be completely independent of a core title, particularly given why this series of side titles exists in the first place?
    It's a matter of value. Let's say you have two games which offer the same gameplay at the same price, but one has 1 hour's worth of content and the other has 10 hour's worth of content. It's almost completely indisputable which one is better, since game length is an objective measure of which game can provide better value. It's the same situation here, you can do much, much more in the main games or Colosseum/XD than you can in Stadium/Stadium 2/Battle Revolution so there's no reason to buy it. As for why it needs to be independent, it's because you have to shell out money for a DS and a game for it to make it work, which makes an already worthless game even less worth buying.

    Quote Originally Posted by BCVM22 View Post
    And yet given the extent to which the games have been buried and forgotten by those in charge, clearly someone whose decisions carry more weight disagrees with you on the extent to which it was a "good start".
    Their decision to abandon Colosseum/XD style had nothing to do with whether or not the games were better, it was because they don't believe that the console games can provide the same level of communication as the handheld levels (which is a completely BS excuse, but whatever).
    Quote Originally Posted by Zorocario View Post
    I knew the euro crisis got out of hand but this is ridiculous, its gotten to the point were people want a part time job in a video game.

  10. #60
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    618

    Default

    My only issue with Revolution came down to a single stage in the 'story'. The Roulette stage. I enter and progress well with my well trained group, then come into this one, and every damn time I'm RNG'd a fail Minun(or something like that), and I wipe, cause the thing can't do sh**
    Through the Generations
    my multiple pairings Shipping-fic.
    Currently On Hiatus and will be coming back to at some point: Gen 1, Chapter 5

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •