Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Pokemon league patterns?

Quote Originally Posted by Almighty Zard View Post
    there would've been some mention if that was the case but it wasn't, we went from Ash checking out his older guys to jumping straight into the tournament, unless you want to say his fight with nando was preliminary.
    Usually prelims are 1 on 1s while Ash and Nando was a 3 on 3. It could have been a Sinnoh League exclusive but I'm honestly not sure.

Quote Originally Posted by J Ken View Post
    Usually prelims are 1 on 1s while Ash and Nando was a 3 on 3. It could have been a Sinnoh League exclusive but I'm honestly not sure.
    Ash VS Nando wasn't a prelim. The prelims in Sinnoh were off screen. Remember all the people registering and then it cuts to night and shows 64 trainers left?

Platinum FC: 2924 5508 7388

HeartGold FC: 5372 2982 5997

White 1 FC: 3396 3135 0386

League-wise, I'm liking the idea of the even-numbered generations being the, somewhat more, serious challenges during the saga. I'm envisioning a hark back to just catching the five Pokemon, maybe a sixth later on. As a side-note, I'd personally like a return to one starter per main character, but I don't think that will happen as they won't be treated equally, and hopefully Ash will just have two rather than all three. Thinking that he will take training and gyms quite seriously and that we'll see some good strategy (Ash style, of course) and battling, and a strong contender for the League. I think he will choose his League teams from a 12 Pokemon squad i.e. Pikachu, six Pokemon caught in Kalos, plus five reserves.

Guess it will come in due time, hoping for and expecting one of Ash's more serious pushes for the trophy. Largely what made Hoenn, BF and Sinnoh for me!
    {Insert signature here}

I think it'd be nice if Ash brings his old pokemon in Kalos league, but his Kalos team should also get a good amount of screentime.
    Last edited by PokemontrainerY; 2nd July 2013 at 3:39 PM.
    Pokémon XY

Kalos, Where Dreams and Adventures Begin!

Quote Originally Posted by DaDonYordel View Post
    Are we not just silly people writing silly complaints on this message board?

Quote Originally Posted by TheFonz View Post
    Ash VS Nando wasn't a prelim. The prelims in Sinnoh were off screen. Remember all the people registering and then it cuts to night and shows 64 trainers left?
    Yeah I know. I was just pointing out that they skipped over the prelims without mentioning the them.

Weren't there only 64 entrants in the Sinnoh League? So Ash vs Nando was the very first battle for him. Not that it matters.

Spoiler:- Alpha Sapphire Progress:

Nah they only showed the league from the Top 64 round onward. There were a lot more people at registrations but they never really mention the preliminary rounds when they started the main rounds.

No there no pattern , the writer can surprise us like what they did with BW ( <-with i kinda happy about even with bad execution)
    so just see what gonna happen :P
    maybe they gonna bring back old pokemon but make ash place like top 8 or top 4 or maybe top 16 XD ( i kinda wish it top 2 for make up to Unova league but never gonna have high expectation again)
    Welcome Gen VI

PIKACHU
    the mascot of pokemon franchise

The only pattern is that Ash loses every league no matter how hard he tries.

Quote Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
    AG and Best Wishes were both intended to be reboots. And its sad when the AG version of Ash was a better and more competent trainer than his BW counterpart, showing how his team and skills did worse in the league even if it was the same rank.
    We can just attribute it to Unova having a worse competition field.
    - Trip: Psychotic Alder fanboi that had his story run out after the JC.
    - Bianca: Ditz/klutz/female - To all my ladyfriends, hate the game, not the player. Compare her to Katie, and you can only concur to the difference of quality.
    - Cameron: Alzheimers
    - Stephan: Steroid4brains
    - Virgil: Well.. You know how he let those Eeveelutions mate with eachother and produce new Eevee's, that mate with eachother.. Game of Thrones-stuff.. Eww..
    - Katharine: Let a Gothita run her team, got top8 as well.. o.0

So yeah, I'm surprised an awesome trainer such as Dino just didn't get to win. He seemed to have the entire package: Precursory sighting, Ash fought him once, a decent pool of usable pokemon, and an okay design. But no, Incesteon-dude had to win..

Quote Originally Posted by AceOfSpadez View Post
    He will win a league when he evolves his Pokemon. Look at the Silver Conference for example. He came so close because his Pokemon were evolved.

And the only reason he didnt win Sinnoh is because Tobias had those legendary Pokemon.
    Silver Conference? He only came 'close' (top8) because of Snorlax and Charizard being beasts beyond compare. In fact, lets compare the Top8-campaign casts:

Silver Conference: 3 were fully evolved, 3 single staged, 1 evolved once, 6 hadn't evolved. 2/3 fully evolved were captured in that form: Muk and Noctowl.
    - Pikachu: Unevolved.
    - Bulbasaur: Unevolved
    - Squirtle: Unevolved
    - Charizard: Fully evolved
    - Muk: Fully evolved
    - Tauros: Single Stage
    - Snorlax: Single Stage (back then).
    - Heracross: Single Stage

- Bayleef: Mid stage
    - Totodile: Unevolved
    - Cyndaquil: Unevolved
    - Noctowl: Fully evolved
    - Phanpy: Unevolved

Evergrande Conference: 2 fully evolved, 1 single staged, 1 evolved once, and 2 didn't evolve.
    - Pikachu: Unevolved
    - Swellow: Fully evolved
    - Grovyle: Evolved once
    - Corphish: Unevolved
    - Torkoal: Single stage
    - Glalie: Fully evolved

Unova Disasterence: 3 fully evolved, 3 at mid stage, 4 unevolved.
    - Pikachu: Unevolved
    - Unfezant: Fully evolved
    - Oshawott: Unevolved
    - Pignite: Evolved once
    - Snivy: Unevolved
    - Scraggy: Unevolved
    - Leavanny: Fully evolved
    - Palpitoad: Midstage
    - Boldore: Evolved once
    - Krookodile: Fully evolved

What have we learned?
    - If Ash has a mid staged regional starter, then he's likely to get Top8: Bayleef, Grovyle and Pignite.
    - If Ash has 3 fully evolved pokemon, or less then 4 unevolved pokemon, then he's able to get Top8 as well.

Meaning, that if Ash's Kalos team consists of:
    - Pikachu
    - Fully evolved Birdread Talonflame
    - Fully evolved Starter/Wildcardread Chespin fully evolved
    - Fully evolved Wildcard2read Litleo fully evolved
    - Midstage Starterread Froakie midstage
    - Unevolved critterread Pancham
    - Unevolved critterread... DARN

That Ash is certainly getting Top8 again. PEACE OUT!

Quote Originally Posted by Eneci View Post
    A sort of pattern as well is Ash not facinng game Rivals in the League.

Barry was defeated by Paul and Bianca by Koetetsu. It could be cause their are Blond !!! ++++
    Breaking the comparison once more:
    - Barry was defeated by Paul, who was defeated by Ash.
    - Bianca was defeated by Cameron, who was NOT defeated by Ash.

No comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by Almighty Zard View Post
    there would've been some mention if that was the case but it wasn't, we went from Ash checking out his older guys to jumping straight into the tournament, unless you want to say his fight with nando was preliminary.
    Still a better preliminary then Ash vs. Trip.. o_o

Quote Originally Posted by Shneak View Post
    Weren't there only 64 entrants in the Sinnoh League? So Ash vs Nando was the very first battle for him. Not that it matters.
    Exactly, Ash got the unofficial runner-up spot in Sinnoh, while the only trainer better then him (in competition) had solo'd the entire region with a single pokemon. Therefore, it doesn't matter that the actual league only had 64 entrants, because we know that the winner solo'd the entire region anyway, and it was Ash that made him use two.

Off topic, but is 'powned/pwned' not a trendy word to say anymore? I've opted to use 'solo'd', because Kenpachi still being alive in Bleach and it seeming more trendy.

The only pattern is that Ash loses every league no matter how hard he tries.
    Bazinga.. o.0
    Last edited by Locormus; 4th July 2013 at 3:42 AM.
    Answer to all the bad things in the world: Give up on trying to make everything better. Hence, accepting it for what it is. YOLO! <- Click the link and daw.. -.-

I remember people saying Ash having more pokemon in Unova would make the battles more interesting and yet the Unova league turned out to be the worst league yet. And not because of the way Ash lost, but even the actual battles were lackluster.

I'll say this again, Ash capturing more than 6 pokemon a saga is a disaster. Ash works better with a small team.

Nobody denies that now.

Spoiler:- Alpha Sapphire Progress:

We also don't need 5 rivals for a league. It could have been fine with 3 rivals but they went and had 5 of them. The first two introduced rivals were both beat by the 2nd League episode, the rival who was treated way to good compared to the others got to last long despite already getting a tournament win and the 4th well he curbstomped Ash because of Ash's naive nature. Heck the 5th rival literally was just there to be there.

We also don't need 5 rivals for a league. It could have been fine with 3 rivals but they went and had 5 of them. The first two introduced rivals were both beat by the 2nd League episode, the rival who was treated way to good compared to the others got to last long despite already getting a tournament win and the 4th well he curbstomped Ash because of Ash's naive nature. Heck the 5th rival literally was just there to be there.
    I kinda think we do, the more the merrier one of the merits of this leauge was that on top of rivals, we saw a lot of old characters, thats something that should have been implemented way before, they just diodn't give them bigger battles that was the issue, Kenyan figth was better than any 3vs3 battles in Sinnoh league for example and I like Satoshi vs Kohei a lot also.

Quote Originally Posted by Pepsi_Plunge View Post
    I kinda think we do, the more the merrier one of the merits of this leauge was that on top of rivals, we saw a lot of old characters, thats something that should have been implemented way before, they just diodn't give them bigger battles that was the issue, Kenyan figth was better than any 3vs3 battles in Sinnoh league for example and I like Satoshi vs Kohei a lot also.
    Yeah your right but it just feels weird seeing COTDs we never thought we would see come back and get higher then the main cast. Also seeing a bunch of people we have seen get curbstomped on screen just doesn't do well in my mind.

Yeah your right but it just feels weird seeing COTDs we never thought we would see come back and get higher then the main cast. Also seeing a bunch of people we have seen get curbstomped on screen just doesn't do well in my mind.
    It just means that other trainers are also improving, it makes sense, thats how it is in RL, a figther that hasn't been winning many figths can change his training/trainers/lifestyle and become better and starting a win streak for example.

I prefer to see Dino in the finals instead of random person.

Quote Originally Posted by Pepsi_Plunge View Post
    It just means that other trainers are also improving, it makes sense, thats how it is in RL.
    True. But there is no need to shaft rivals if there are so many old characters that could have given Ash a better showing. Aside from Stephan he didn't look good in any other battle.

True. But there is no need to shaft rivals if there are so many old characters that could have given Ash a better showing. Aside from Stephan he didn't look good in any other battle.
    Yeah I was a little disappointed with the quality of the leägue this time around, with ash not even getting a full battle, or battling some of his rivals like Bianca,Virgil and that random boy who got the axew gets lost episode for himself...
        Spoiler:- Game Teams:
    I have a pretty good reputation on these forums... Well i mean I could...

Quote Originally Posted by Pokememes View Post
    Yeah I was a little disappointed with the quality of the leägue this time around, with ash not even getting a full battle, or battling some of his rivals like Bianca,Virgil and that random boy who got the axew gets lost episode for himself...
    Yeah he only had 3 battles and of those 3 only one of them made him look semi competent/decent. He could of had a better showing if they decided to putt those returning COTDs to use instead of shafting the rivals and giving Ash nothing impressive to look back on.

I hope Kalos has Ash using his older Pokémon in the league and that more appear in the anime in general too. Thought that was OK about Best Wishes, until B2W2 rolled around (didn't expect Ash to use his older Pokémon in the league despite an underdeveloped team because he did have a lot of Unova ones, but I wish his rivals used more older ones).

Looks like XY will at least have older Pokémon in the dex (Sylveon & Awakened Mewtwo aren't enough to convince me there are evos and preevos for older Pokémon), so at least there's a possibility the main cast, rivals and TRio could at least get some older Pokémon in XY and for the league.

Ruby: LeafGreen (Nuzlocke):
    Emerald: Diamond:
    Pearl: Platinum:
    SoulSilver: White:
    White 2:
    Wii FC: 8945-6722-1722-6586 | Nintendo Network ID: Master_Zach
    3DS FC: 1289-8257-7574 | Xbox Gamertag: WaTeRChAmP97
    Claimed: Blastoise, Pokémon XY & Calem from Pokémon XY

I think that to pattern in the pokemon league is just fight the people that you met before. They started it in the Grand Festival with May. And for some reason they have adopted it for the Pokémon League. Personaly I like how Ash just fought against people that he never meet before add more to his charter if you aren't developing someone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Torpoleon View Post
    I hope Kalos has Ash using his older Pokémon in the league and that more appear in the anime in general too. Thought that was OK about Best Wishes, until B2W2 rolled around (didn't expect Ash to use his older Pokémon in the league despite an underdeveloped team because he did have a lot of Unova ones, but I wish his rivals used more older ones).

Looks like XY will at least have older Pokémon in the dex (Sylveon & Awakened Mewtwo aren't enough to convince me there are evos and preevos for older Pokémon), so at least there's a possibility the main cast, rivals and TRio could at least get some older Pokémon in XY and for the league.
    Sylveon is an evo to an old pokemon.
    My first shiny ever caught!

Named Admiral Sentret

Quote Originally Posted by Nevans View Post
    I think that to pattern in the pokemon league is just fight the people that you met before. They started it in the Grand Festival with May. And for some reason they have adopted it for the Pokémon League. Personaly I like how Ash just fought against people that he never meet before add more to his charter if you aren't developing someone else.
    It's because its convenient to reuse old faces.

Well, gotta say I really haven't been kept up much on the anime recently and only have looked through the bios and some of the episode pictures for this recent season. I will agree with everyone else that they made Ash into a newbie again but I think it was because we didn't have another character that could take up that role. Cilan and Iris were experienced gym leaders/trainers and couldn't really act as a pupil to Ash like May and Dawn were in the previous generations. I do hope they can bring another character like that in the X/Y anime because Ash seemed to have lost a lot of development he gotten during the hoenn and sinnoh sagas.

As for the previous pokemon, I'm pretty confident that some of them will make a reappearance, especially if they have a new evolution or if they remake the Hoenn games.

I'm hoping for 2 main rivals for ash, and maybe 1 like Conway from DP
    I say this because there's less mess with less rivals, if they focus on 2-3 really well it would be more interesting
    And dear god let him place higher then top 8, he isn't a beginner!
        Spoiler:- Game Teams:
    I have a pretty good reputation on these forums... Well i mean I could...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast