Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Pokemon league patterns?

So going by patterns, it's almost safe to say Ash will get top 4 in the Kalos League, we'll have to wait 3 or 4 years to see.

Quote Originally Posted by RickHoenn View Post
    So going by patterns, it's almost safe to say Ash will get top 4 in the Kalos League, we'll have to wait 3 or 4 years to see.
    I don't think there is a pattern. Based on the pattern of previous Pokémon Leagues, people thought Ash would get Top 4 or Top 2 in Unova and we saw what happened there.

Ash in order has finished in the top 16, top 8, top 8, top 4, and top 8. There really is no pattern.
    My first shiny ever caught!

Named Admiral Sentret

I know that, but that's my wish, it'll be super trollish if ends up being top 8 again...

Quote Originally Posted by yuoke View Post
    Ash in order has finished in the top 16, top 8, top 8, top 4, and top 8. There really is no pattern.
    The pattern seems to be no reserves, use reserves and finish one round up, no reserves, use them and move up a round.

Quote Originally Posted by pokemonsquared View Post
    The pattern seems to be no reserves, use reserves and finish one round up, no reserves, use them and move up a round.
    You figured out the pattern! Nice job

Although does the top 8, top 4 theory work? Considering there's different amounts of competitors every time?
        Spoiler:- Game Teams:
    I have a pretty good reputation on these forums... Well i mean I could...

Quote Originally Posted by Pokememes View Post
    Although does the top 8, top 4 theory work? Considering there's different amounts of competitors every time?
    Numbers don't even matter and yet people are clinging onto it.

What you need to see is the quality of Ash's position in the league, not the number. For example in the Sinnoh League, Ash defeated Darkrai and Latios while the finalist failed to do the same. It is clear that Ash is superior to this finalist, making his top 4, a top 2 qualitatively.

The same goes to Hoenn League, albeit we can't declare it just as easily. The difference between Tyson and Ash was almost zero to be honest. Both Pikachu and Meowth were almost down to the count and Meowth barely hung onto consciousness. And this person has won the League itself.

On the other hand, in Ash's Unova League performance, Lucario defeated Pikachu by quite a margin and Kotetsu used only 5 Pokemon. Now this same Kotetsu used ALL six of his Pokemon but ended up losing to Virgil very badly. Ash's rank is equal to his Hoenn rank, but his position in the Unova League is MUCH worse qualitatively.

So, basically stop clinging onto these stupid numbers that don't mean anything.

<--My tumblr
    Quote Originally Posted by EmphaticPikachu
    DRACO NO STOP. DRACO DOWN. DRACO NO FLIRTING WITH ME.
    Quote Originally Posted by Noodlerama

FF.Net profile: Here!!
    \

Quote Originally Posted by Dracoflare View Post

What you need to see is the quality of Ash's position in the league, not the number. For example in the Sinnoh League, Ash defeated Darkrai and Latios while the finalist failed to do the same. It is clear that Ash is superior to this finalist, making his top 4, a top 2 qualitatively.

The same goes to Hoenn League, albeit we can't declare it just as easily. The difference between Tyson and Ash was almost zero to be honest. Both Pikachu and Meowth were almost down to the count and Meowth barely hung onto consciousness. And this person has won the League itself.

On the other hand, in Ash's Unova League performance, Lucario defeated Pikachu by quite a margin and Kotetsu used only 5 Pokemon. Now this same Kotetsu used ALL six of his Pokemon but ended up losing to Virgil very badly. Ash's rank is equal to his Hoenn rank, but his position in the Unova League is MUCH worse qualitatively.

This I agree with. In kanto he should have been top 8 if the only quick attack Charizard was doing was quickly not giving a f---. In Johto he lost to Harrison due to immaturity in calling a weaker move against Blaziken or he should have won that as well. Hoenn he was out smarted and although he could have won I never felt Ash Should have won. Tyson strat against Pikachu was good. Sinnoh Ash got Trolled. All of sinnoh you just knew he was gonna beat Paul in the finals and go off to the Champions league he saw all 4 elite 4 battled 2 of them and even befriended the champion and boom Trollbias. Unova was his worst showing in my opinion he mis managed his team terribly. Why not use Snivy on Samurott to spare Pikachu nahhhh why not save Mijimaru for a better fight like Riolu nope hydro pump a dragon.....and dont get me started on the Pignite vs. Samurott....

In my head the quality of the league has Ash Top 8 in Kanto, Top 4 in Johto, Top 8 in Hoenn, Top 2 in Sinnoh and Top 8 in Unova. So of you look at that here is your pattern. Gen 1,3,5 Top 8 in quality or actuality and Gen 2,4 Top 4 and Top 2 in quality. So in Gen 6 i expect a finals apperance but we will see he isnt going anywhere without evolving his team and using old trusty ppl. If anyone noticed only one kanto pokemon was used in Sinnoh... Snorlax. I see a Bulbasuar, Squirtle, and Charizard return for Karos league maybe even Muk and we will see if he ever meets Pidegot and Primape again.

My 3DS Friend Code is: 4141-3174-0404

Friend Safari is Dragons (Noibat, Sliggoo,Fraxure)

Devoted Pearlshipper and as such I have released Chapter 4 of my new fic :
    https://www.fanfiction.net/s/9948785...-of-the-tunnel

I know that, but that's my wish, it'll be super trollish if ends up being top 8 again...
    No he needs to either win the next league or get top two. I personally thought that the Unova league was going to be top 2 but whatever. However, I just hope he doesn't get another top 4 again. It isn't necessary.

My ideal battle ever!

Exactly. I can't even believe how Lucario wasn't hurt too badly despite fighting a fully evolved Flying type and getting beaten to a pulp by Snivy. Yet Pikachu had no trouble against Samurott or Swanna

Platinum FC: 2924 5508 7388

HeartGold FC: 5372 2982 5997

White 1 FC: 3396 3135 0386

Quote Originally Posted by TheFonz View Post
    Exactly. I can't even believe how Lucario wasn't hurt too badly despite fighting a fully evolved Flying type and getting beaten to a pulp by Snivy. Yet Pikachu had no trouble against Samurott or Swanna
    Yes my boy, plot power is strong indeed...

There Seems to be a Pattern that involves Ash's Ranking, Depending on Which Pokemon he Uses Including his Reserves.
    Lets Look at The History of Ash's Past Rankings in The League.

Kanto League (Indigo Conference) - Top 16
    Johto League (Silver Conference) - Top 8 : Reserves
    Hoenn League (Ever Grande Conference) - Top 8 : No Reserves
    Sinnoh League (Lily of the Valley Conference) - Top 4 : Reserves
    Unova League (Vertress Conference) - Top 8 : No Reserves

If The Pattern Continues, Ash is Most Likely to Use his Reserves and Improve His Ranking in The Kalos Region.

Quote Originally Posted by J Ken View Post
    The only pattern is that Ash loses every league no matter how hard he tries.
    That Sounds more like Consistencies than a Pattern.

Credit to Wulava for the Artwork. Thanks so much ^_^

Well they were both water types. Though losing to iron tail was plain silly to me.

When we are willing to believe a Roggernola that's down to the count to evolve and fight back an Excadrill, a Tranquill that almost lost to Swanna to batte with full energy, then I think we are expected to believe a Lucario to do the same. I think a Pokemon's health gets replenished a bit when it evolves. Anyway, it was just an excuse for a good battle. Pikachu received a powerful critical hit from Daikenki's Razor Shell and even took a Hydro Canon, I think it was justified.

And people still holding on numbers.............sigh. They don't mean anything guys. Stop looking at patterns.

<--My tumblr

\

Unova league was dissapointing, Ash should ether win Kalos league or get top 2 this time. It's sad how Ash degraded from top 4 to top 8 again in Unova league.
    Last edited by PokemontrainerY; 8th July 2013 at 7:29 AM.
    Pokémon XY

Kalos, Where Dreams and Adventures Begin!

Quote Originally Posted by DaDonYordel View Post
    Are we not just silly people writing silly complaints on this message board?

Quote Originally Posted by Pokememes View Post
    Every second gen, ash has used his old pokemon, do you think this will continue to his next league in kalos?
    I have no idea, but I personally wouldn't want it to happen. I think it's kind of cheap for Ash to ignore his regional team and start using all his old Pokemon during certain Leagues. It just feels like he doesn't have enough faith in his newer Pokemon and resorts to favoritism by using his older Pokemon instead.

Also, in Sinnoh, many of ash's pokemon werent used in battle? Was this intentional to set up which pokes return in the kalos league?
    It wasn't intentional. I mean does anyone actually believe that the writers planned for the Kalos League before the Sinnoh League was even finished?

Quote Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
    I remember people saying Ash having more pokemon in Unova would make the battles more interesting and yet the Unova league turned out to be the worst league yet. And not because of the way Ash lost, but even the actual battles were lackluster.

I'll say this again, Ash capturing more than 6 pokemon a saga is a disaster. Ash works better with a small team.
    That's stupid, unless you think that the Hoenn league way is the way to go, Ash only using 6 Pokemon in the entire tourney. it's not that he had more regional Pokemon in BW, the writers just didn't try enough in writing the battles and matchups. It makes no difference whether Ash uses a lot of Unova Pokemon or a lot of Pokemon from each region in a league, it's still more than 6 Pokemon. And if you're referring to the scarce screen time/development of the reserves by saying that getting more than 6 is a disaster, well, that has nothing to do with this topic.

Quote Originally Posted by Charmed View Post
    I have no idea, but I personally wouldn't want it to happen. I think it's kind of cheap for Ash to ignore his regional team and start using all his old Pokemon during certain Leagues. It just feels like he doesn't have enough faith in his newer Pokemon and resorts to favoritism by using his older Pokemon instead.

It wasn't intentional. I mean does anyone actually believe that the writers planned for the Kalos League before the Sinnoh League was even finished?
    I can see that but when SHOULD he use his old Pokemon then? I mean people DO wanna see them. The leagues are huge tournaments with a ton of people using reserves of their own so it makes sense to strategize as much as possible with everything you have(point brought up in the Sinnoh league). Using the regional team only in Gym Battles and smaller tourneys like the Don's should be enough. Of course the regional team should still get their share at their regional league, which every team so far has gotten unless you discount the fall guys at the Johto(Cyndaquil, Noctowl), Sinnoh(Torterra) and Unova(Oshawott, Boldore, Unfezant, I don't count Snivy and Leavanny cause they put up such great fights), leagues.
    Last edited by Rohanator; 8th July 2013 at 12:42 PM.
    Might as well link my Deviantart gallery, I mainly do Pokemon related stuff, maybe something'll catch your interest.:] http://rohanite.deviantart.com/gallery/

Ash vs Korrina Alternate Ending Comic: http://rohanite.tumblr.com/post/8546...e-with-korrina

This is Turtwig, he was the most under appreciated starter in Diamond & Pearl. If you picked Turtwig as your starter, put this in your sig. Started by Dax-360

Well considering the sorry state of his Unova team by the time of the league, a little less faith might very well have gone a long way.

Quote Originally Posted by Newpokemontrainer View Post
    Unova league was dissapointing, Ash should ether win Kalos league or get top 2 this time. It's sad how Ash degraded from top 4 to top 8 again in Unova league.
    I found the unova league dissapointing to a certain extent, there was some great battles, what little we got, so I'm kinda holding out hope the kalos league will be better.
    KROOKODILE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sunglasses Krookodile View Post
    I found the unova league dissapointing to a certain extent, there was some great battles, what little we got, so I'm kinda holding out hope the kalos league will be better.
    Really? Of the unova leage I only found 2 battles even worthy of watching-
    Bianca vs Cameron and Ash vs Stephŕn
    Apart from that, ash vs trip was rigged, cause Pikachu should've been KO'd as it was locked in a bind, and ash vs Cameron was just horrible, a worse showing there then any other league match (except Ritchie)

You know it doesn't work that way, Ash was top8 in a legue with 128 participants, while in sinnoh he got top4 with only 64, but it doesn't matter since the position is the only one that matters. Being Champion in a competition with 64 people isn't the same as being runner-up in a tournament with 128.

The reason is simple, Unfezant is portrayed by the writers as a weak pokemon. Ash always has a weak pokemon in his team every generation.

That would work if Ash actually had a good team by that time. Oshawott vs Hydreigon was terrible.
    The regional team won't be neglected since they can do the badge hunting, and share screentime with the reserves at the league.

Well considering the sorry state of his Unova team by the time of the league, a little less faith might very well have gone a long way.
    Exactly.
    IGN: Carlos
    FC: 0903-2783-6541

[CENTER]SIGNATURE SOON...[/COLOR]

Quote Originally Posted by ludiloco View Post
    You know it doesn't work that way, Ash was top8 in a legue with 128 participants, while in sinnoh he got top4 with only 64, but it doesn't matter since the position is the only one that matters. Being Champion in a competition with 64 people isn't the same as being runner-up in a tournament with 128.
    The Sinnoh wasnt just 64 people. The prelims were skipped is all it was much more than that they just fast forwarded thru it. The battles were prolly expensive to do because it had so much detail so they saved time and effort and skipped the prelims.

My 3DS Friend Code is: 4141-3174-0404

Friend Safari is Dragons (Noibat, Sliggoo,Fraxure)

Devoted Pearlshipper and as such I have released Chapter 4 of my new fic :
    https://www.fanfiction.net/s/9948785...-of-the-tunnel

Quote Originally Posted by Hikatoshi26 View Post
    The Sinnoh wasnt just 64 people. The prelims were skipped is all it was much more than that they just fast forwarded thru it. The battles were prolly expensive to do because it had so much detail so they saved time and effort and skipped the prelims.
    Yeah the Sinnoh league had BY FAR the most effort put into it out of them all animation wise(strategy wise too I'd say). A large portion of every battle Ash participated in except VS Conway was animated by Iwane and even that one looked really good.

[QUOTE=ludiloco;16137147
    The reason is simple, Unfezant is portrayed by the writers as a weak pokemon. Ash always has a weak pokemon in his team every generation.[/QUOTE]

Well, Unfezant is a pretty mediocre Pokemon in the games. However I disagree on Unfezant being portrayed as weak, sure it flopped against Riolu but so did other Pokemon like Bianca's Emboar. Unfezant was great in Skyla's gym, won a double battle where the foe had a Braviary and showed some real guts against Roxie's OP Koffing. She's not exceptionally strong, but I wouldn't call her a weakling among the rest of the BW team.
    Last edited by Rohanator; 8th July 2013 at 10:52 PM.
    Might as well link my Deviantart gallery, I mainly do Pokemon related stuff, maybe something'll catch your interest.:] http://rohanite.deviantart.com/gallery/

Ash vs Korrina Alternate Ending Comic: http://rohanite.tumblr.com/post/8546...e-with-korrina

This is Turtwig, he was the most under appreciated starter in Diamond & Pearl. If you picked Turtwig as your starter, put this in your sig. Started by Dax-360

Quote Originally Posted by ludiloco View Post

Exactly.
    Did you misquote me....because I was saying something different.

I am telling that numbers shouldn't matter at all. Top 4, top 8, top 2.....these stuff don't matter at all. Because if we think Ash was just Top 8 in the Hoenn League, we are undermining his achievement because he almost defeated the league winner itself. The same goes to the Sinnoh League, Ash was technically the 2nd best trainer in the tournament.

The number of participants doesn't show you the quality of the league. A league can have only 4 participants and it will be still badass if the participants are truly talented. Each region had 8 gyms. Each of these gyms could have varying strengths. The Sinnoh League might be tougher to reach because the Gym Leaders are tough while defeating the eight leaders of Unova might be easier.

So even if Sinnoh had 64 particpants, Unova had 128.......the number of deserving participants may be the same. These things can't be known through numbers. In the end it is quality. (which I think Unova is lacking in a bit :x)

<--My tumblr

\

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast