Page 5 of 66 FirstFirst 1234567891555 ... LastLast

Thread: Legend of Korra: Book 4 - Balance - Starts October 3

Is it me or do the twins remind me of #17 and #18 from Dragon Ball Z? Must be the eyes.

You got that right! The Legend of Korra is returning on October 3rd! Mark your calendars!

I'm honestly getting a little tried of the 'sibling rivalry' being the main reason for a plot theme.

Pretty sure "Everything changed when the Water Tribe attacked" is the biggest plot twist Avatar's had, haha.

I thought the animation of the episodes was, as usual, stellar. However, I just wish the writers would put in as much effort as the animators. In the macro sense, they manage to create a story that is layered with subtext and subtlety, but how they execute is just so... shoddy. They get so caught up in worldbuilding and sexual tension that other things just fall by the wayside, and that's rather disappointing.

Anyway, personally, I want the Makorra ship to sink within the next couple episodes, if not permanently than at least for the season at hand. Not ship bashing, but I don't think it really adds anything to the show or their dynamic, and their boyfriend/girlfriend interactions are going to get stale fast. So long as I'm wishing for things, I can only pray Asami is handled better this season. After the whole love triangle debacle of season 1, they began writing her as really petty for a few episodes. She's got a lot of potential as a character, and I hope to god they don't waste all that.

I also fear that the whole Tenzin air temple plot isn't going to be as good as it ought to be, since it's rather clear the writers don't have the patience to write arcs without a shipping element. Unless Kya or Bumi find love in an unlikely place, Jinora's plot is going to get shafted.
    3DS FC: 0748-3041-6462

Fictionpress / Buy My Book! / Hero's Path

Quote Originally Posted by Firebrand View Post
    I thought the animation of the episodes was, as usual, stellar. However, I just wish the writers would put in as much effort as the animators. In the macro sense, they manage to create a story that is layered with subtext and subtlety, but how they execute is just so... shoddy. They get so caught up in worldbuilding and sexual tension that other things just fall by the wayside, and that's rather disappointing.
    I see where you're coming from on this, but I don't think there is any blame to be had on the writer's behalf. They are doing the best with what Nickelodeon gives them - 24 minutes of running time per episode is not enough and it never will be enough. Also take into consideration that they only have 14 episodes to build, execute, and complete this entire story arc, which naturally leads to a bit of rushing, but not so much that it has a great impact on the show itself.

Anyway, personally, I want the Makorra ship to sink within the next couple episodes, if not permanently than at least for the season at hand. Not ship bashing, but I don't think it really adds anything to the show or their dynamic, and their boyfriend/girlfriend interactions are going to get stale fast. So long as I'm wishing for things, I can only pray Asami is handled better this season. After the whole love triangle debacle of season 1, they began writing her as really petty for a few episodes. She's got a lot of potential as a character, and I hope to god they don't waste all that.
    Don't hold your breath on Korra and Mako's relationship ending, it isn't like the writers of the Avatar universe to simply undo something that they spent an entire book developing. I'm not sure I follow your point of how it "doesn't add anything to the show or their dynamic" given that we've only seen 1/7 of this entire book and the two have had few interactions on-screen thus far.

As far as Asami goes, I'm willing to argue she was one of the best-developed characters in Book 1, if not the best. Her backstory and issues with her father, and ultimately chosing Team Avatar over him was fantastically handled, even with the time constraints. The love triangle may have gotten a bit tiring at times, but it brought an element of realism into the show that most other cartoons could only hope to accomplish. Mako having to deal with his sudden feelings for Korra while he was already in a relationship with Asami was painfully true, E.I. it was a realistic experience for those who have been in their situation.

I also fear that the whole Tenzin air temple plot isn't going to be as good as it ought to be, since it's rather clear the writers don't have the patience to write arcs without a shipping element. Unless Kya or Bumi find love in an unlikely place, Jinora's plot is going to get shafted.
    I don't follow your claim that the writers are caught up with character shipping. I'm how extensively you keep up with the previews for this show, but it has been made more than obvious that Jinora will play a major role in this book through them, especially dealing with the spirit world and Aang's past.

And allow me to remind you that Tenzin, Lin, Tarrlok, Amon, and Hiroshi Sato were all successfully developed characters in Book 1 that had no "shipping" written into their storylines to name a few. Sure, Tenzin and Lin's were revealed to have had a relationship in the past but that was nothing other than backstory.

Absolutely loved tonight's episode. Even if the plot if moving fast tonight's episode was great for character development. I cannot wait to see Part 2 next week.
    Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire are remakes, confirmed.

Welp, things escalated pretty quickly in the third episode. There was a LOT more drama than comedy in this one, and I can't stop thinking Unalaq is really an extremist bad guy.

Tea time during war is serious business, you know.
    Wii U: AuraGuyChris
    Youtube Channel - Hyrule Warriors (Hard)

Chapter 219: An Alien Friend in Need - Complete!

Great episode, it's getting alot better. I still am not sure about the northern water tribe guy being the big bad of the season though
    3DS FC:4253-3982-7075 ~ MAL ~ Kid Icarus club ~ Attack on Titan club ~ Xat New Leaf dream code: 4800 2561 7674

The show is back on again??! I need to go watch it online. Totally forgot about it. I hardly watch nickelodeon anymore, so have not seen advertisements.
    About to do an X Scramble Challenge!!!
    Let me know if you would like to trade or battle!
    3DS Friend Code: 1779-0043-7163
    Name on 3DS: BT

Wonderful episode. I had forgotten that Unalag was the chief of both tribes, which explains how he was able to bring in troops without problems. I feel for Korra, trying to keep the peace between two sides that don't want it. Glad she made up with her parents. Unalag's plan of opening both spirit portals have changed my mind about how big of a villain he'll be. That seems the actions of the main villain, not merely a side villain. Eska and Bolin continue to make me laugh. Sad to see no sign of Asami. A non-bender's perspective would have been nice, and Korra needs a girlfriend to associate with.

Tenzin, Bumi, and Kya fighting about their childhood was interesting. Would have thought that Aang would have been a fun father to them all.
    A soul that cannot be saved drifts and disappears,
    In the instant it vanishes, it shines faintly,
    Now, it creates a night with a full moon.

-.- can't believe I missed it, zero advertising today and very little advertising during the week no wonder the premier had low-standard ratings, the show should be put on saturdays like it was last year, nickalodeon isn't exactly watchable on fridays with nick jr taking its space and lame shows (and me sleeping half the day away...probably why I missed it but I'm blaming nick/ads like any sensible person would :|)

Can someone tell me a site that'll likely have the new episode.or when/if there are reruns?
    #teamchespin #teamfennekin

I didn't particularly care for this episode. The pacing seemed a bit rushed, but this is a two-parter so it's understandable. I enjoyed Tenzin's interactions with his siblings because they shed some light on how Aang treated his family; I'm disappointed that he seemed to care for Tenzin more than the others though. Over all the episode was just okay for me.

Quote Originally Posted by TsukiMirage View Post
    Tenzin, Bumi, and Kya fighting about their childhood was interesting. Would have thought that Aang would have been a fun father to them all.
    It makes sense though. Aang was the only airbender and after two non-Airbending children he finally got one so he would have been excited for that.

this episode was actually pretty nice can't wait for the next one

I'm not so bothered by Korra's angst in this episode because they made it relatable. She's stuck between a rock and a hard place.

breathe it in, i'm gonna shine. it's my moment, i'm going to fly.

You know, while Korra's uncle obviously has hidden agendas, the tension comes from not knowing WHAT exactly those plans involve. It's not a bad thing and, well, few characters have a third person point of view like us viewers do.

You got that right! The Legend of Korra is returning on October 3rd! Mark your calendars!

This is probably going to be an unpopular opinion, but Bumi gets on my nerves. He reminds me of this one guy I went to high school with. Even though he's about 22 by now, he still hangs out with fourteen years olds and still acts like them. Tenzin's siblings were annoying in general, because they were completely unfocused on, you know, finding a missing child. Kaya and Bumi were using all their energy to complain about their daddy issues while a little girl, their niece, wandered in an unknown land in complete darkness. Tenzin could have been more focused as well, but he would have been more goal driven had his siblings not acted like six year olds.

Annoyances with the characters aside, I liked the episode. Korra's angst is somewhat mixed between people, but I personally found it justifiable. Taking out the Mako subplot was definitely a good call. It opened up focus to the actual problems that Korra has been facing, and continues to face in her life rather than focusing on the superficial problems she is experiencing. Not only that, but her problems are honestly stressful and she is acting in a realistic manner.

Part of me wishes that they didn't choose brother vs. brother again as the antagonist conflict point, because it was already done between Amon and his brother. However, since they are both water tribe, I could see a plot line forming around how the spiritual imbalance can even tear brother from brother. I was kind of disappointed that Unalaq went from misguided, but still with a line to full villain, but I'll wait to see how his development pans out before I really nitpick at it.

And back on the Aang's kids subplot, I like how they are showing that Aang wasn't a perfect father. It makes sense considering the fact that air nomads didn't raise their own children, so he would have his own reservations about what family was. You also get to see that stress that being the Avatar brought him and how it affected his treatment of everything. His duty to protect his culture has always been a massive struggle in his life, and the fact that they are showing that it was kept into his adult hood shows how truly fleshed out Aang's character was.
    even if we don't understand each other, that's not a reason to reject each other. There are two sides to any argument. Is there one point of view that has all the answers? Give it some thought.
    ^ This is the reason why I like arguing. If I come off as standoffish or overly angry in an argument, don't worry. I'm probably having the time of my life. Whether I agree with them or not, the pokemon fandom has a lot of different opinions, and I love how nobody is afraid to share them.

Quote Originally Posted by Shneak View Post
    I'm not so bothered by Korra's angst in this episode because they made it relatable. She's stuck between a rock and a hard place.
    I agree. It bothered me in the previous two episodes because it seemed like she was just making things difficult for herself, but in this episode I let it slide because she was just confused as to what she should do about the possible civil war between the two water tribes. Of course, it was kind of obvious that her uncle was using her this whole time and I'm disappointed that Korra didn't see that, but I'll let it pass.

Oh, I forgot to talk about the latest episode. Silly ole me. It was alright. I kinda hope Bolin does not break up with the creepy twins. They are the only thing making me laugh so far. Anyway I did enjoy hearing about Tenzin's family and Aang played favorites, oh Aang. Overall the episode was kinda meh. Not as good as the season opener, but I do like they are advance Korra's uncle as a villain.
    Parena or Serecham both equal Serena+Pancham!

c+p

I thought that this was an okay episode. Predictably, Korra's father was going to be arrested for his "fair trial" but I was a little surprised that they arrested her mother too. Still don't like the animation. I didn't find Korra so bad in this episode either though she probably could've handled the water benders a little easier by trapping them with earth bending.

No Asami is a shame. Bolin and the twins are still giving me some laughs too. I'm also happy to see that Tenzin and his siblings are getting some development.

Fighting for real American turtles everywhere. Pro-Turtle since 6/30/13

Quote Originally Posted by Plus side down side View Post
    Tenzin's siblings were annoying in general, because they were completely unfocused on, you know, finding a missing child. Kaya and Bumi were using all their energy to complain about their daddy issues while a little girl, their niece, wandered in an unknown land in complete darkness. Tenzin could have been more focused as well, but he would have been more goal driven had his siblings not acted like six year olds.
    No need to act so heated over a fictional character. Not to mention everytime they complained about their issues was after Tenzin brought up the past, and Kya was the one who was still looking when Tenzin and Bumi we're arguing.

Quote Originally Posted by Plus side down side View Post
    And back on the Aang's kids subplot, I like how they are showing that Aang wasn't a perfect father.
    Now you're contradicting yourself?

Another great episode, i didn't like Unalaq from the start and i felt he wanted Korra's dad gone from the start.

I have a feeling that the trial will not be as "fair" as it should.

" You called me out upon the waters
    The great unknown, Where feet may fail
    And there I find You in the mystery
    In oceans deep, my Faith will stand ..."

Quote Originally Posted by HoennMaster View Post
    No need to act so heated over a fictional character. Not to mention everytime they complained about their issues was after Tenzin brought up the past, and Kya was the one who was still looking when Tenzin and Bumi we're arguing.

Now you're contradicting yourself?
    I can have opinions. How strongly I state them is my own choice. I don't even think I was being all that harsh in the first place, you just interpreted it that way.

Also, I will be more accepting of flaws based off of their own execution. Throughout the original series, Aang was presented in a very specific way. Although he was shown to have many flaws, his position as a hero and his status as a monk made him extremely morally high up. Even as a child he had very strict beliefs and even his final development arc was focused on how he was unwilling to break these beliefs and how he must stay true to them. However, the one thing that I always wondered after the show ended was how exactly these flaws would effect him later in life. For one thing, he never really had parents and the only father figure he had was dead. Even though he was the Avatar he was still only thirteen years old and essentially had no real family. Instead of learning how to grow up, he was taking on responsibilities that should have been left to men twice his age. Not to mention the fact that he was left with the deal of having to repopulate his entire race. Aang's flaws lined up perfectly with the development he was given.

Now that I've rewatched the episode, I can admit that Tenzin was being pretty childish as well. However, that doesn't suddenly make me more accepting to Bumi and Kaya rather, it just makes Tenzin have the same problems. Fact is, their reactions did not match with the situation at hand. I get that the writers had to establish the conflict between the characters in order to make the later development work, but all the arguments just felt so out of place with the situation. It felt like they were having really big arguments that weren't really warranted because they should be focused on the bigger goal at hand. The kept having these huge fights that had nothing to do with the task at hand. Most of the time, the insults they had weren't even warranted, often being petty and somewhat random. Also, their age definitely played a role in my feelings towards them. Had an argument like this happened between the teenagers it would be more excusable, though I would probably still be annoyed. These characters are almost senior citizens, but they were arguing like children. It isn't that fact that they were fighting that bothered me, it's the way they went about presenting the conflict. It was a really poor way to showcase the brand new characters, because they only showcased the negative attributes and only had a couple positive attributes. A character's first appearance should show both so that they seem rounder and more complete.

You have every right to disagree with me. The subplot itself was very well received and despite its flaws, I still did enjoy the idea behind it. The plot is probably going to be interesting and it can easily make up for some poor character choices. You might like the characterization, and that's fine.

The way that I write is rather emotional simply because that's how I write. I would rather write an opinion that is passionate, over exaggerated, and full of a lot of thought than a half baked though. This is one of my favorite shows, I'm going to feel strong emotions towards it. It's better than, "Bumi and Kaya suck." with nothing else put into it.
    even if we don't understand each other, that's not a reason to reject each other. There are two sides to any argument. Is there one point of view that has all the answers? Give it some thought.
    ^ This is the reason why I like arguing. If I come off as standoffish or overly angry in an argument, don't worry. I'm probably having the time of my life. Whether I agree with them or not, the pokemon fandom has a lot of different opinions, and I love how nobody is afraid to share them.

Finally watched the new episodes. The twins both are creepy...
    I am excited for the Aang's family side of the story, and even seeing flashbacks of the first Avatar.
    About to do an X Scramble Challenge!!!
    Let me know if you would like to trade or battle!
    3DS Friend Code: 1779-0043-7163
    Name on 3DS: BT

After breaking the news that Book 2 was starting in the fall, Canada is finally starting Korra. October 5th on YTV.

breathe it in, i'm gonna shine. it's my moment, i'm going to fly.

Today's episode finally made everything clearer, but I'm going to wait in commenting about it.

But what I do keep enjoying is Bolin and Eska's rocky relationship.

Tea time during war is serious business, you know.
    Wii U: AuraGuyChris
    Youtube Channel - Hyrule Warriors (Hard)

Chapter 219: An Alien Friend in Need - Complete!

Page 5 of 66 FirstFirst 1234567891555 ... LastLast