Page 3 of 30 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: The Legend of Korra: Book 2 - Spirits Discussion / Book 3 - Change Speculation

Quote Originally Posted by Trainmaster718 View Post
    Tonraq attempts to freeze the spirit with Waterbending (WATERBENDING MALES YES)
    ???? We've seen them before.....

Quote Originally Posted by Trainmaster718 View Post
    A road trip to the Air Temples is mentioned
    Ah hell yes! Of all the locations in the Avatar world, I really wanted to see what happened to the Air Temples after the war.
    Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire are remakes, confirmed.

That owl struck me as one of the most interesting characters of the original series. I'm glad it's back.

The trailer was interesting. I'm not sure how I feel about how the series is (seemingly) increasingly taking place in the Spirit World. I'm interested about learning more about the first Avatar, though.

Very excited just to see Tenzin. For some reason he is my favorite. would love to see an old man Zuko XD

Quote Originally Posted by PokemonFan13 View Post
    Very excited just to see Tenzin. For some reason he is my favorite. would love to see an old man Zuko XD
    There is nothing more I would like to see than an old Zuko.

Hopefully there will be flashbacks to the adult years of Team Avatar and how their lives went on after the defeat of Ozai.

3DS FC: 3067 - 5438 - 9132

Quote Originally Posted by TheBluePorygon View Post
    There is nothing more I would like to see than an old Zuko.

Hopefully there will be flashbacks to the adult years of Team Avatar and how their lives went on after the defeat of Ozai.
    Shocked they made comics about the Zuko's mom arc and not a movie. I think we would of rather had a animated movie over the live action xD

Michael and Bryan pitched a 90-minute special about Ursa to Nickelodeon but Nick rejected it in favor of renewing Korra...which is why we now have the comic version of "The Search".

Quote Originally Posted by HoennMaster View Post
    Michael and Bryan pitched a 90-minute special about Ursa to Nickelodeon but Nick rejected it in favor of renewing Korra...which is why we now have the comic version of "The Search".
    Ah that makes sense

September 13th!

Awesome. Less than a month.

They're also doing this webisode series about Mako and Bolin being orphans. It has a different animation style so it looks unusual. I think IGN has a couple teasers.

"You amuse me, I will make you mine."

Black2/
    Heart Gold/X Trainer Card:
    • Name- Dale Hudson
    • Status- Continuing on to Shalour City
    • Idols- Tucker Satoshi, Red, Cynthia, Alder, Lance
    • Hometown- Aspertia City, Unova, USA
    • Graduated from- Aspertia Academy

"My pokémon aren't mindless tools, they're my friends and family"

Amon's painfully unsatisfying conclusion, as well as the completely ignored problem of nonbender inequality left me somewhat bitter towards the first season. I greatly enjoyed it up until the season finale...

With that, I see Spirits as M&B's chance to redeem the flaws of the first season, and while I am a bit wary, I am still excited for the newest installment. Particularly for the moment when Jinora meets Wan Shi Tong.

1779 1165 5016

Quote Originally Posted by Wizardly Oz View Post
    Amon's painfully unsatisfying conclusion, as well as the completely ignored problem of nonbender inequality left me somewhat bitter towards the first season. I greatly enjoyed it up until the season finale...
    I (and others) beg to differ.
    Last edited by matt0044; 3rd September 2013 at 7:03 PM.

The huge problem I had with Season 1 is that Korra loses her bending, then almost immediately gets it back with a pretty lackluster explanation. And all of her airbending looks like her other bending--not flowy like it's supposed to be.

There's a reason for that, though, since Korra was supposed be finished after the initial run. I'm fairly certain the writers would have had Korra remain without bending if they knew they would be making more seasons.

The situation still could have been salvaged, though--In the last episode of season 1, Korra only earth, water, and firebends while in the Avatar State. It would have been completely reasonable to say that she has achieved a connection with the previous Avatars, but still can't bend elements other than air in her normal state. Spiritual self-discovery quest unlocked! as she tries to reforge her connection to the other elements.

The rushed ending was the only thing I really disliked about Korra season 1. Can't wait for season 2!

Pokemon White friend code: 0648 2224 4895
    Pokemon White 2 friend code: 1550 3078 1849

"One day, I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties.
    Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
    Goodbye Susan. Goodbye my dear."
    -The First Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by Wizardly Oz View Post

With that, I see Spirits as M&B's chance to redeem the flaws of the first season, and while I am a bit wary, I am still excited for the newest installment. Particularly for the moment when Jinora meets Wan Shi Tong.
    Yeah I wasn't happy with the Season 1 finale either. I actually considered dropping the series but then I started reading about Season 2 and it seems interesting with all the spirit stuff that wasn't completely covered in the original Avatar series. I'll watch the first couple of episodes from the new season and make a decision whether to keep watching or not.

Yeh, although the ending to Season One was a bit ... meh ... i still would like to see Season Two

" You called me out upon the waters
    The great unknown, Where feet may fail
    And there I find You in the mystery
    In oceans deep, my Faith will stand ..."

Quote Originally Posted by Thecatteam View Post
    The huge problem I had with Season 1 is that Korra loses her bending, then almost immediately gets it back with a pretty lackluster explanation. And all of her airbending looks like her other bending--not flowy like it's supposed to be.

There's a reason for that, though, since Korra was supposed be finished after the initial run. I'm fairly certain the writers would have had Korra remain without bending if they knew they would be making more seasons.

The situation still could have been salvaged, though--In the last episode of season 1, Korra only earth, water, and firebends while in the Avatar State. It would have been completely reasonable to say that she has achieved a connection with the previous Avatars, but still can't bend elements other than air in her normal state. Spiritual self-discovery quest unlocked! as she tries to reforge her connection to the other elements.

The rushed ending was the only thing I really disliked about Korra season 1. Can't wait for season 2!
    I would be inclined to agree with you... if not for the following points made on the TV Tropes' Fridge Brilliance page on the show (regardless of your feelings of the site, kindly grant this the benefit of the doubt):

*It seems overly rushed. Aang almost becomes the Deus ex Machina when he suddenly appears and claims that Korra has connected to her spiritual side out of the blue, before restoring Korra's bending and making her a fully realized Avatar by completing the connection with all her past lives and activating the Avatar State. But when you think of it, there's a LOT that's happened in Korra's spiritual development leading up to this point. Korra's been trying to train spiritually for years and was trained by Tenzin for quite a while, and it was beginning to work very well. Her abilities at the end of Episode 9 was already on par with Aang in season 3 of ATLA. Also Korra's style and personality are like that of Earth, stubborn and unyielding. It's only when she's totally put into a situation where her current approach cannot work, does she suddenly get the hold of airbending and is able to connect with Aang's visions. That is saying a lot about chakras at work in her spiritual and airbending blocks. That's the key to explaining how the ending turned out the way it did. Korra's hitting the absolute low was the final turning point, but there was a lot of spiritual development that had happened up to that point.
    *The Earth Chakra was opened when Korra learnt to face her fear of dealing with Amon. The Water Chakra was opened when she was able to overcome her guilt when she got over the love triangle by forgiveness and got them through into the final, though it might have even happened before that when she got the knack of the airbending movements. The Fire Chakra was opened up when she reconciled with Tenzin over her shame of not being able to airbend or being spiritually weak, and when she finally connected with Aang. The Air Chakra was obviously opened by love, and I mean Mako. The Sound Chakra was opened when she understood Tarrlok and Amon's true identities, and Amon building his whole movement on lying over his backstory. The Hiroshi Sato reveal also definitely had something to do with it. The light Chakra was probably opened somewhere between Korra realizing that she could still airbend and Amon's makeup job and waterbending powers exposed. The air chakra was probably fully open in that moment where Mako was about to lose his bending, which is why she could Airbend. Finally the last chakra was unblocked when she was planning to leave everyone and told Mako to leave her for good, despite the fact that both truly loved each other by this point - probably she was contemplating suicide, now that she could no longer do her job as the Avatar and called Aang, likely with the intention of taking her away to the spirit world, which is when she gave up attachment. That's when all her chakras were open and her spiritual connection became truly complete. While it's difficult to often pinpoint the incident as the cause of opening her chakras, it's clear that following Character Development Korra already very spiritual by the end and had successfully opened all her chakras allowed her to master the Avatar state. All that was now needed was a little help from Aang to energybend her broken connections.
    *This also makes sense why Korra never went into the Avatar State despite being in danger so often. She had already begun to open her chakras, and until all the chakras were opened, she couldn't enter it.
    *This also suggests that Korra's restrained and cocooned upbringing in that South Pole fortress also caused the spiritual block in her owing to insufficient Character Development. Katara knew this, the White Lotus didn't. Tenzin figured it out after Korra's first pro-bending match that her spirit really needs freedom to grow.
    *Aang's statement that in her lowest moments, she was open to the greatest change, was just summing up the way she had unknowingly more and more spiritual by life experience. Aang's energybending was the last piece of the puzzle. Now Korra having lost her connection to 3 elements is totally helpless to solve things by her usual badassery and so has had to let go of her pride, the reason for her spiritual block. All this time she had been feeling that she never needed the spiritual side because she had been so Badass, but now she had been humbled and her spirit was malleable to Aang's energybending. All that was left for Aang to do was to energybend Korra to restore her bending.
    *It makes more Fridge Brilliance. Becoming a fully realized Avatar involves mastering both the physical and spiritual sides of bending. The two of them are related and influence each other. Aang could bend with his chakras closed. He was wounded by lightning, and while he could still bend all the elements, he had lost his spiritual connection to all but 4 of his past lives and the Avatar State. He regained it by a purely physical means of having his blocked chi paths opened up by a sharp rock, which spiritually unblocked him. Throughout the series there has been quite a connection between Energybending and the Avatar State, with Aang using the Avatar State to debend Ozai and Yakhone. He was shown to have mastered the Avatar State after he had successfully energybended Ozai. Korra on the other hand, as the opposite of Aang, lost her connection to the physical side of bending, but by that point her chakras were open, she had completely mastered the spiritual side and connected with the spirits of the past Avatars, thus allowing her to master the Avatar State. Aang then uses the Avatar State to energybend Korra at a spiritual level, restoring her physical connection to her elements, making Korra a fully realized Avatar.
    *It's already been noted by a lot of fans before that the plot is symbolic of how the chakras are opened, by dealing with fear, guilt, shame, grief (and love), truth and lies, illusion and attachment. Aang's chakras were blocked by all his experiences and the fact that he had responded in the manner that would lock them up. Korra on the other hand face similar situations but responded in the way that would open them. Maybe the writers know that ATLA fans aren't morons and don't feel the need to spell out the beautiful symbolism behind the plot, which would cheapen the effect.

I'm just going to get it out now: Mako is not an awful character (imperfect, yes) and here's why. I only hope everyone here it nice enough to here them out.

His and Korra's love story weighed down that season tremendously.

Fighting for real American turtles everywhere. Pro-Turtle since 6/30/13

Quote Originally Posted by Vernikova View Post
    His and Korra's love story weighed down that season tremendously.
    Um, did you click the link at all there? I wanted others to see those articles and read them. Not skim, actually read them and think about what they had to say because honestly, I found myself saying, "huh, never thought of it like that before..."

I'm sad that Bolin is the only fire ferret member left. Some of my favorite fight scenes were during the pro-bending championships.
    Latest Shiny!

Chain fish in Cyllage City in Pokemon X!

3DS FC: 4682 - 8902 - 8849
    PM me if you decide to add me. Psychic Friend Safari with Xatu, Munna and Espurr.

Quote Originally Posted by matt0044 View Post
    I'm just going to get it out now: Mako is not an awful character (imperfect, yes) and here's why. I only hope everyone here it nice enough to here them out.
    I kind of lost interest when I realized those were fan blogs. Everything those people said is subjective because it's only their opinion and frankly, I've already formed my own opinion of Mako and reading someone else's take on it won't change my point of view. I might have been able to like Mako if it weren't for the relationship between him and Korra in Season 1; I thought it was handled terribly and I still think Mako's a jerk for the way he practically left Asami for Korra, but I'm willing to give him another chance in Season 2 because I do believe in second chances. Hopefully he (and the romance subplot between him and Korra) won't bring down the season and will actually contribute to the story in a positive way.

Quote Originally Posted by matt0044 View Post
    Um, did you click the link at all there? I wanted others to see those articles and read them. Not skim, actually read them and think about what they had to say because honestly, I found myself saying, "huh, never thought of it like that before..."
    Both. They can say what they want, but Mako and Korra brought down the series.

Fighting for real American turtles everywhere. Pro-Turtle since 6/30/13

I can't believe there's only one week left. It doesn't feel like it.

I don't like Mako simply because I don't find the tsundere trait all that charming. In fact, Zuko is the only moody character out of any series that I didn't want to slap in the face. The fact that Mako was handled terribly only made my distaste for him grow.

That being said, I'm very excited for book 2. Now that Korra and Mako are together, they can focus on interactions between the other characters. The spirit world will also serve as a great place of development for the very non-spiritual Korra.
    even if we don't understand each other, that's not a reason to reject each other. There are two sides to any argument. Is there one point of view that has all the answers? Give it some thought.
    ^ Why Alder is my favorite champion.

Page 3 of 30 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast