Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Mewtwo ~ The Prologue to Awakening (BWSP1)

Oh joy, we get to see Gary "Virgil" Stu again just because Mewtwo is in there.

But do we get to see Cilan's and Iris's last hurrah? Noooooooooo. (At least for now.)

Tea time during war is serious business, you know.
    Wii U: AuraGuyChris
    Youtube Channel - Hyrule Warriors (Hard)

Chapter 219: An Alien Friend in Need - Complete!

Special finally aired. I don't understand the point of the special though. I guess they just wanted to do some more Mega Mewtwo/Eeveelution marketing at the time. Wasn't all that good really. Sub-par for even the anime sans the animation which was well above average.

Fighting for real American turtles everywhere. Pro-Turtle since 6/30/13

I watched this today. It was a pretty good special for the most part.

This special should have aired way back when they aired this movie. It's kind of too late to bother.

Too bad Flareon and Jolteon got the axe and did not appear as a result. Their absences just made me wonder why they brought Virgil back.

What's up with that Pocahontas girl? She can call Pokemon forest to do her bidding, but she never called them when she and her grandpa were falling to their deaths? True, the moment scared the hell out of her, but nobody ever elaborates on her gift.

And this is where they dropped the movie villain? I must say he should have been in the movie for the trio to fight while female Mewtwo and Genesect were fighting in the background, but Virgil didn't even fight him at all.

Ugh, well, this is the last we'll see of BW stuff. Next week, we enter the XY wagon for good.

Well, it was a good way to send off BW. Dubbing was solid, all the original music was kept and the voices were done well.

I just wish it had been included in the DVD, but I have a suspicion I know why - I think Dirk, the Pokemon Hunter, was played by Christopher Patton (Greed in Fullmetal Alchemist among other roles), who only just Tweeted that he recorded his Pokemon role a few weeks ago.

(Banner by Matori)
    Beyond all ideals, the truth shall set you free...
    Most Recent: 17: The Bard and the Diva
    Next: Winter of Discontent

The steps on the road to the truth.
    The Firestorm Rebellion
    The Victory Star of Fate

Glacidia Network - The Home for Fanworks
    Best Wishes appreciation blog

Quote Originally Posted by The Great Butler View Post
    I just wish it had been included in the DVD, but I have a suspicion I know why - I think Dirk, the Pokemon Hunter, was played by Christopher Patton (Greed in Fullmetal Alchemist among other roles), who only just Tweeted that he recorded his Pokemon role a few weeks ago.
    Is he anti-DVD material or what?

EDIT: Oh wait, he voiced that guy too late so that means there was no room for the DVD.

Well, this sucked in JPN as it is, so there's nothing anyone could do to fix this, but I digress...

I watched this for Virgil in both versions, tbh: everyone else ranged from boring to aggravating to me, except I did like Oscar as well.

As for the dub, the voices were quite honestly a mixed bag.

I think a friend of mine here said it best, but my comments on them are in parentheses:

Worst Voices:

- Anna (Voice was absolutely horribly high-pitched and I had trouble understanding what she was saying)
    - Professor Oak (Carter Cathcart is so bad in this role, it's not even funny, and he continues to get worse as Prof. Oak)
    - Tyranitar (Just sounded pissed off to me and angry)
    - M16 Mewtwo (Miriam Pultro's performance as the female Mewtwo in dub M16 was poor, and this was even worse-- talk about generic and forgettable)
    - Umbreon (Yeesh...sounds off)
    - Vaporeon (Eww...what the heck happened here?)

Decent Voices:

- Dirk (Okay)
    - Iris (Okay: Eileen was off a bit, but okay)
    - Ash (Meh, Sarah kept going back between BW voice (better) and XY002 voice (worse): my problem is that she's still too inconsistent with her vocal pitch, and her Ash sound way too deep for a 10 year old's boy voice again, but it was okay. I must say Sarah Natochenny is no Veronica Taylor, and never will be as good as her based on how she's done for the last 7.5 years as Ash, unfortunately)

Good Voices:

- Virgil (Wow, Tom Wayland actually cast himself well for once)
    - The Rest of the Eevee Team (Good, I guess)
    - Cilan (Jason was good, but a little off)
    - Oscar (Anna's grandfather-- Hands down the best VA in this one and stood out, IMO)

BGM:

- They did good with keeping all the ORG JPN music here, but it's being played so low I can't hear it much anyway, so that's a problem to me.

Script Writing/Dialogue:

- Well, at least the script writing wasn't as bad as it is in the anime's dub now: none of Ash's cool speak was here, which was great.
    Last edited by PokemonNation2000; 12th January 2014 at 3:55 AM.
    Opinions Regarding the Pokémon:
    1. Anime: OS > AG > BW > DP > XY
    2. Movies: OS = AG > DP = BW = XY
    3. English Dub: 4Kids Entertainment/TAJ Productions (EP001-EP276; AG001-AG020) = 4Kids Entertainment (AG021-AG145) = TPCi/SDI Media (The Origin)/Very Good > TPCi/DuArt Film & Video (BW)/Poor > PUSA/TPCi/TAJ Productions (AG146-AG192)/Very Poor > TPCi/DuArt Film & Video (XY) = PUSA/TPCi/TAJ Productions/DuArt Film & Video (DP)/Atrocious
    4. Games: XY > BW1 > BW2 > RSE > GSC > Y > HGSS > DP > RBG
    5. Pokémon: The Origin: Excellent: 93/100.
    6. Manga: RS > RB > Y > FRLG > XY > BW > E > DP > GSC
    "It's like with each new Generation, Dogasu becomes an even bigger idiot than he was the last Generation." - Kalos Adventurer

Quote Originally Posted by AuraChannelerChris View Post
    Is he anti-DVD material or what?

EDIT: Oh wait, he voiced that guy too late so that means there was no room for the DVD.
    Yeah, I suspect he was cast but for whatever reason couldn't make it to New York in time, given how quickly the turnover of the recording to the airing turned out to be.

(Banner by Matori)

The Firestorm Rebellion
    The Victory Star of Fate

Yeah, I suspect he was cast but for whatever reason couldn't make it to New York in time, given how quickly the turnover of the recording to the airing turned out to be.
    Any idea who played Oscar here? I thought that VA did pretty well, actually.
    3. English Dub: 4Kids Entertainment/TAJ Productions (EP001-EP276; AG001-AG020) = 4Kids Entertainment (AG021-AG145) = TPCi/SDI Media (The Origin)/Very Good > TPCi/DuArt Film & Video (BW)/Poor > PUSA/TPCi/TAJ Productions (AG146-AG192)/Very Poor > TPCi/DuArt Film & Video (XY) = PUSA/TPCi/TAJ Productions/DuArt Film & Video (DP)/Atrocious
    "It's like with each new Generation, Dogasu becomes an even bigger idiot than he was the last Generation." - Kalos Adventurer

Huh the dub wasn't bad at all. I actually quite liked it.

Random : PokéRadar

Quote Originally Posted by _Taidow_ View Post
    The dub was okay at best to me, tbh, but to each their own. I found several voice actors were miscast, but that's nothing new to me about the current Pokemon English dub by DuArt/TPCi.

Script writing/dialogue wise, I will say, this was much better here than it is normally, though, which was a pleasant surprise: no cool speaking Ash was WONDERFUL (if you want me to elaborate on what "cool speak" is, I can).
    Last edited by PokemonNation2000; 12th January 2014 at 6:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by _Taidow_ View Post
    Well, that makes one of us. Compared to other episodes, I felt that the dubbing for this episode sounded almost completely like utter bull crap

Black2/
    Heart Gold/X Trainer Card:
    • Name- Dale Hudson
    • Status- Stopping the battle with Tierno after Tyrunt started acting a little out of control
    • Idols- Tucker Satoshi, Red, Cynthia, Alder, Lance
    • Hometown- Aspertia City, Unova, USA
    • Graduated from- Aspertia Academy

Quote Originally Posted by Dwail8023 View Post
    Any idea who played Oscar here? I thought that VA did pretty well, actually.
    Probably Marc Thompson or another regular VA. I don't think there were any guests besides Chris Patton and Miriam Pultro.

(Banner by Matori)

The Firestorm Rebellion
    The Victory Star of Fate

Anna sounded like Nanako from P4 to me. Other then that I wish Virgil was in the actual movie.

Bulbapedia found the credits and were able to get Dirk and Anna's voice actors.

Dirk was Spike Spencer, who's never been on Pokemon before, while Anna was Cristina Vee, who played Layla in BW095 and a large number of roles in Origins.

(Banner by Matori)

The Firestorm Rebellion
    The Victory Star of Fate

Bulbapedia found the credits and were able to get Dirk and Anna's voice actors.

Dirk was Spike Spencer, who's never been on Pokemon before, while Anna was Cristina Vee, who played Layla in BW095 and a large number of roles in Origins.
    Spike did okay/satisfactory work as Dirk, but Cristina was horrible as Anna, IMO. She was much better as Layla back in BW095, and even as that lass as well as several of her other roles in Origins, than she was here.

Probably Marc Thompson or another regular VA. I don't think there were any guests besides Chris Patton and Miriam Pultro.
    Marc Thompson did very well, then: he was the standout, IMO.
    Last edited by PokemonNation2000; 18th January 2014 at 4:54 AM.

The special episode was good, I must say. I knew Dirk looked kind of suspicious when he first appeared behind the tree. And seeing Virgil and his Team Eevee was great, too.

Default Mewtwo ~ The Prologue to Awakening

Oh great, finally the English dub of the Newtwo Mewtwo prologue special is out. Having seen this special, I have to admit, it was very well-animatied. The movie-quality animation made the battles in this special more intersting to watch.

I wasn't too thrilled to see Virgil again, his appearance was pointless since most of the time he just stood in the background, doing almost nothing. Sigh, I guess they wanted to do more Eeveelution promotion by including him in the special. I was surprised to see hunter Drik's Pokémon leaving him once their pokéballs were distroyed by Mewtwo, it seemed that the Pokémon didn't have much loality for him.

There were some good Mewtwo action in this special. I liked the scenes which showcased Newtwo Mewtwo. The scene where Newtwo Mewtwo went crazy and destroyed all the pokeballs to free the Pokémon was cool, and the scene where Mewtwo stops the fires was cool as well. Too bad we still didn't get to know anything about how this Mewtwo was created and why? It wasn't a proper prologue because it didn't show much details about Mewtwo. It would've been more interesting if
    the writers used this special to explore Mewtwo's origin, but sadly they decided to give screentime on Virgil, Dirk and Eeveelution instead. Oh well, at least this special set up the 16th movie's plot with Ash and friends going to New Tork City.

The voice acting in the dub was fine, it's cool that TPCI kept all of the original Japanese music in this special. I hope they'll do the same for the upcoming XY anime episodes.
    Pokémon XY

Kalos, Where Dreams and Adventures Begin!

Quote Originally Posted by DaDonYordel View Post
    Are we not just silly people writing silly complaints on this message board?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234