Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 85

Thread: Who cares about these anymore? Am I the only one?

  1. #26

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Retro-Chaos X View Post
    I don't see how their age is a factor of how many people care about these games - actually, it's age could make people who loved a few years ago, love it even more. It's age wouldn't make people not care about it at all really - there are plenty of old games that are still loved.
    ...or the outdated graphics, slow gameplay, exclusivity to hardware that is no longer produced or supported and rapidly dwindling compatibility with the current material dictate that they're no longer even remotely worth the time and effort for some people. Particularly since you can't actually start fresh with a new, reliable copy of these games on a new unit of their native hardware if you didn't own them in their time, with both the games and the hardware long, long out of production and circulation.

    You really don't see how all of those would inspire people to lose interest and move on from games that are over a decade old and not getting any younger? Then you're not looking.


    -----
    Never underestimate the power of stupidity, of the one and of the many.
    Words to|live by

  2. #27
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    258

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BCVM22 View Post
    ...or the outdated graphics, slow gameplay, exclusivity to hardware that is no longer produced or supported and rapidly dwindling compatibility with the current material dictate that they're no longer even remotely worth the time and effort for some people. Particularly since you can't actually start fresh with a new, reliable copy of these games on a new unit of their native hardware if you didn't own them in their time, with both the games and the hardware long, long out of production and circulation.

    You really don't see how all of those would inspire people to lose interest and move on from games that are over a decade old and not getting any younger? Then you're not looking.
    I'm sorry, but believe it or not, almost everyone I know doesn't give two sh*ts about graphics, it's the GAMEplay that matters, since we are GAMEers, as long as it is fun, then I will play it and many will agree. I see the point you're making, but in reality, people don't care about the technical specifications of a game - nostalgia, addictiveness, fun gameplay, and story are all greater factors.

    There are many games in history that are old and still loved by many and considered greater than the games from today - examples include TLOZ: Ocarina of Time, Sonic The Hedgehog, Super Mario 64, Tomb Raider, Goldeneye 64, and so on.

    Also, I must ask, how does R/S/E have slow gameplay? It certainly does not - it's gameplay is the same as every other Pokemon game.

  3. #28

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Retro-Chaos X View Post
    I'm sorry, but believe it or not, almost everyone I know doesn't give two sh*ts about graphics, it's the GAMEplay that matters, since we are GAMEers, as long as it is fun, then I will play it and many will agree. I see the point you're making, but in reality, people don't care about the technical specifications of a game - nostalgia, addictiveness, fun gameplay, and story are all greater factors.
    I'm sorry, but believe it or not, "in reality" according to what? That's an impossible generalization you're trying to make and one you can't possibly support objectively to the extent you're making it. Putting aside the fact that you can't possibly tell me that every video gamer, everywhere, ever, is willing to overlook modern advances in the name of nostalgia, you're still ignoring a generation (at least) of Pokémon gamers who started long, long after Generation III and have no reason to care about its games.

    I didn't say people couldn't still enjoy the games. In your own words, you couldn't possibly fathom any reason why people would have since passed these games by or would have not even cared about them in the first place. I answered that.

    Quote Originally Posted by Retro-Chaos X View Post
    There are many games in history that are old and still loved by many and considered greater than the games from today - examples include TLOZ: Ocarina of Time, Sonic The Hedgehog, Super Mario 64, Tomb Raider, Goldeneye 64, and so on.
    Yes, and many of them haven't aged well in every facet. You can revere a game for being bleeding edge and incredibly prolific for its time while still recognizing it hasn't aged well in some ways.

    Quote Originally Posted by Retro-Chaos X View Post
    Also, I must ask, how does R/S/E have slow gameplay? It certainly does not - it's gameplay is the same as every other Pokemon game.
    Then you're not catching what I'm saying. Play a Generation III game alongside a Generation V or even Generation IV game. The difference in the most basic speed of the gameplay - how long it takes you to get from point A to point B or complete a basic mechanical task - is immense. A lot of that isn't the fault of the games or the hardware, as the DS was simply more advanced and added an extra screen and a more direct control method for those tasks, but still. The difference is night and day.
    Last edited by BCVM22; 30th July 2013 at 11:31 PM.


    -----
    Never underestimate the power of stupidity, of the one and of the many.
    Words to|live by

  4. #29
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    258

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BCVM22 View Post
    I'm sorry, but believe it or not, "in reality" according to what? That's an impossible generalization you're trying to make and one you can't possibly support objectively to the extent you're making it. Putting aside the fact that you can't possibly tell me that every video gamer, everywhere, ever, is willing to overlook modern advances in the name of nostalgia, you're still ignoring a generation (at least) of Pokémon gamers who started long, long after Generation III and have no reason to care about its games.
    It's simple - the majority of people on online polls I have seen and people I know online and IRL think that Gameplay is the most important aspect - so on that basis, I can assume that the majority of gamers have this opinion.
    Also, I did not at one point say that every gamer shares this opinion.
    I must also point out that you have contridicted yourself with that last sentence - you critisize me for making an '
    impossible generation' yet you generalize that an entire generation who began after Gen III have no reason to care about it's games - this is also an ignorant thing to say - why wouldn't you care about them? If you're a fan of the series, you will care about them. I myself began with Gen IV and I much prefer Gen III, and care about every Gen, old or new.


    Quote Originally Posted by BCMV22
    Yes, and many of them haven't aged well in every facet. You can revere a game for being bleeding edge and incredibly prolific for its time while still recognizing it hasn't aged well in some ways.
    I'm not talking about the games for being prolific in their time yet haven't aged well. I'm talking about the many games that have stood the test of time and can still be enjoyed today, such as the ones I listed.

    Quote Originally Posted by BCMV22
    Then you're not catching what I'm saying. Play a Generation III game alongside a Generation V or even Generation IV game. The difference in the most basic speed of the gameplay - how long it takes you to get from point A to point B or complete a basic mechanical task - is immense. A lot of that isn't the fault of the games or the hardware, as the DS was simply more advanced and added an extra screen and a more direct control method for those tasks, but still. The difference is night and day.
    I disagree in ways. I have recently been playing Gen III, and I find the gameplay to be faster than Gen IV, not so much Gen V, but III just seems faster, where it be battling or just running around.

  5. #30

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Retro-Chaos X View Post
    It's simple - the majority of people on online polls I have seen and people I know online and IRL think that Gameplay is the most important aspect - so on that basis, I can assume that the majority of gamers have this opinion.
    That's as poor of a basis for an assumption as you could possibly find. "Online" is not a reasonable indicator of anything, and given the people who use the Internet for stuff like this, it's a skewed pool at the very least.

    Quote Originally Posted by Retro-Chaos X View Post
    Also, I did not at one point say that every gamer shares this opinion.
    But you did say "a majority", which is just as flawed.

    Quote Originally Posted by Retro-Chaos X View Post
    you critisize me for making an 'impossible generation' yet you generalize that an entire generation who began after Gen III have no reason to care about it's games - this is also an ignorant thing to say - why wouldn't you care about them?
    There are kids capably playing this franchise today who are younger than Ruby/Sapphire by a good 2-4 years, as in they were not themselves even born until Ruby/Sapphire were a few years old, and then not of capable gaming age for another 6-7 years after that. Are you really saying that these kids - all of them, some of them, any appreciable number of them? - went to the now-considerable trouble of finding playable Advance hardware and Generation III games? That's the problem with your assertion - common sense and the demographic data that drives this franchise say the answer is "no" to any appreciable extent.

    Quote Originally Posted by Retro-Chaos X View Post
    I'm not talking about the games for being prolific in their time yet haven't aged well.
    Except that all of the games that you mentioned fit into that category to some degree. Maybe it is only graphics for some of them, but the point remains.


    -----
    Never underestimate the power of stupidity, of the one and of the many.
    Words to|live by

  6. #31
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    crazy town,land of insanity
    Posts
    99

    Default

    My first Pokemon game was Ruby so I love it but as much as i would like a remake it will probable have to wait until after X and Y so there is more difference between graphics
    and if not so many people want RSE remakes that nintendo is bound to make remakes or at least put them on the nintendo eshop I am only guessing so no one
    come after this and complain that i dont know for sure if they will but People still love RSE at least I do
    [IMG]http://i40.*******.com/2jab7zl.png[/IMG]
    HAIL GIOVANNI
    Do you like battling. Try anime style battling get started here
    credit to equal to heaven for the clock
    [IMG]http://i42.*******.com/33mv70g.gif[/IMG]

  7. #32
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    258

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BCVM22 View Post
    That's as poor of a basis for an assumption as you could possibly find. "Online" is not a reasonable indicator of anything, and given the people who use the Internet for stuff like this, it's a skewed pool at the very least.
    It really isn't - if it were just one poll, then you would be correct, as the answers will be biased, but as I said, I have viewed many polls in the past 5 or so years on different websites and communities, so it isn't a poor basis at all - it isn't biased and covers a large range of opinions.

    Quote Originally Posted by BCVM22
    But you did say "a majority", which is just as flawed.
    Well for one, in no way is a majority just as flawed as every gamer. Also, it isn't flawed, which I answered above.

    Quote Originally Posted by BCVM22
    There are kids capably playing this franchise today who are younger than Ruby/Sapphire by a good 2-4 years, as in they were not themselves even born until Ruby/Sapphire were a few years old, and then not of capable gaming age for another 6-7 years after that. Are you really saying that these kids - all of them, some of them, any appreciable number of them? - went to the now-considerable trouble of finding playable Advance hardware and Generation III games? That's the problem with your assertion - common sense and the demographic data that drives this franchise say the answer is "no" to any appreciable extent.
    No that is not in ANY way what I am saying. How could you come up with a wild and moronic sentence as that. I did not say that these 6-7 year olds would go to this length, kids don't go out and buy games - their parents do, in fact, I have a cousin who is 25 and let's his child play his old GBA games, such as his FireRed. I'm pretty sure he isn't the only father/Pokemon fan that stipulates to this.

    Quote Originally Posted by BCVM22
    Except that all of the games that you mentioned fit into that category to some degree. Maybe it is only graphics for some of them, but the point remains.
    Yes, graphical-wise these games fit into this category, but this brings me back to the point that gameplay is more important. Picture this scenario if you will: There is a game with amazing gameplay but less-than-stellar graphics, you're saying you would ignore this brilliant game just because it doesn't have good graphics?

  8. #33
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    now it's on a couch
    Posts
    230

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by leafme View Post
    My first Pokemon game was Ruby so I love it but as much as i would like a remake it will probable have to wait until after X and Y so there is more difference between graphics
    and if not so many people want RSE remakes that nintendo is bound to make remakes or at least put them on the nintendo eshop I am only guessing so no one
    come after this and complain that i dont know for sure if they will but People still love RSE at least I do
    My best guess if that they would wait till after X and Y are released. I mean I was hoping for it during BW but this option is way better. Imagine how the pokemon contests would be??? and the Graphics for the legendaries, Groudon VS. Kyogre VS. Rayquaza I really do hope they make a remake this time. You know the saying "good things come to those who wait"
    Friend Code
    4725-8753-8888

  9. #34
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Behind you
    Posts
    133

    Default

    Eh.. Personally I don't look forward to the remakes, I just prefer GBA quality, but I really wish I had a legit (AKA not-rom) version of Emerald. And FireRed, too.
    But it would be cool to see a GBA version of the newer games. Or Yellow/Crystal. But that ain't gonna happen.
    † I am a Christian and proud of it! Copy and paste this if you are too.†

    FireRed team:
    Cordelia Nida Rai Fang Cyclone Charlie

    I might help nicknaming your Pokémon, PM me!

    I don't like gen5.I'm not a nostalgic freak who can't accept new things;when gen2 came out,I didn't even notice it was new.When gen3 came out,I thought "new Pokémon already??"but I tried to learn as much as possible.When gen4 came out,I was like "Cool, but evolutions of older Pokémon look ugly.Which starter would I pick?"When all gen5 Pokémon were revealed,I was disappointed.
    Oh yeah; when gen 6 came out, I was disappointed too, but then it started to revive my faith in the future of pokemon.

  10. #35
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Conquering the Battle Frontier
    Posts
    570

    Default

    I sure do care about these games. They still have a lot of value for me, and I don't see this changing soon at all. Plus they're still compatible with the current games.

  11. #36
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Catcall Tower
    Posts
    269

    Default

    I do because emerald was my first game. And by saying first i not only mean the first i played but first for most things. My first shiny was in emerald ,my first competitive battles were in emerald.
    I did not think that they would make remakes for them because (in my opinion) all 5 gens were playable on a DS or DS lite , but seeing that nintendo is making 3DS pokemon games now i think 3rd gen remakes are possible. Personally i would like if they remade them because 3D graphics would make it more fun(e.g. Diving in full 3D that would be awesome).
    Latest shiny: 2300 eggs and 600+ FS encounters.

  12. #37
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Tryan Gully
    Posts
    129

    Default

    R/S/E holds something from my childhood that can't be given a value. I personally wouldn't mind seeing a remake in the 6th generation, but I hope they make it like HG/SS, not to change it too much, but to improve it with many post-elite four things to do without ruining the originality. I'd just be mad if they changed the music too much.
    Latest Shiny (11/27/14)
    Obtained via: Soft Reset
    X: 2723-9673-8419
    FS:

  13. #38
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Orlando, Florida
    Posts
    903

    Default

    RSE is my favorite, although i dont think it will be remade.

    | Trainer Level 3 | C+ Grade Referee |

    Always available to RF matches.

    Machamp, I claim you!

    I have claimed Karst from Golden Sun: The Lost Age and also, Golden Sun: The Lost Age. I have claimed Shadow's Theme from FFVI.


  14. #39
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Camp Crystal Lake
    Posts
    354

    Default

    I love them, they were my favorite gen. I'm not sure if I want them to get remakes or not...

  15. #40
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Lavaridge Hot Springs
    Posts
    29

    Default

    i do. Ive been playing emerald all summer. Just need latias to get that johto starter! best game ever.
    Emerald Team:
    Fire Red Team:
    Platinum Team:
    Soul Silver Team
    White Team:
    Black 2 Team:
    Rock Guardians Team:


  16. #41
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Catcall Tower
    Posts
    269

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BCVM22 View Post
    Then you're not catching what I'm saying. Play a Generation III game alongside a Generation V or even Generation IV game. The difference in the most basic speed of the gameplay - how long it takes you to get from point A to point B or complete a basic mechanical task - is immense. A lot of that isn't the fault of the games or the hardware, as the DS was simply more advanced and added an extra screen and a more direct control method for those tasks, but still. The difference is night and day.
    The framerate of R/S/E/FR/LG is 60 FPS . While in gens 4 and 5 it was downgraded to 30 FPS because the DS could not handle the increased graphics and a high framerate at the same time.
    So saying that the gameplay is slow is complete nonsense.
    Latest shiny: 2300 eggs and 600+ FS encounters.

  17. #42
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Final Destination
    Posts
    1,169

    Default

    Pokemon Sapphire is my FAVOURITE GAME OF ALL TIME! You may be able to tell that from my Sig (Steven FTW!) Anyways, I RSE, and I was almost brought to tears on January 8th when they didn't announce RSE remakes Don't get me wrong, I am looking forward to Gen VI, but Gen III remakes are always on the top of my list! I always play these games, usually 1 time a week at least!

    GEN III FTW!
    Too much water guys!

  18. #43
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Procasti-nation
    Posts
    895

    Default

    There was a short period where I didn't play Pokémon, till I got this cool Gameboy Advancr SP with a Kyogre on the back from my mother. It actually fun playing Pokémon Saphire without any idea of the new Pokémon. It will have a special place in my heart because that was the day I started playing Pokémon again.


  19. #44
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Montenegró
    Posts
    2,921

    Default

    Pokemon Emerald is my favourite game (so far). I remember how long I spent training my pokemon so I could win the Battle Frontier. I didn't know about EV training at the time, so, to put it simply, I never defeated the Battle Frontier :P
    But it was so much fun trying!




    “Into the darkness they go,
    the wise and the lovely. ”

  20. #45
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    France
    Posts
    24

    Default

    This Hoenn Remake thing may not be coming because they're developing in the new 3D section, and also because there is already a way to have Hoenn Pokémon in the newer games through PalPark. One of the main reasons the older games were remade because it was hard to get older Pokémon in the newer games (You had to trade through Colosseum or XD). So that's one point. Even though I love the Hoenn region most and want to see a remake, sadly the case stands that it might not be.

    But yes, I really loved Hoenn and Sapphire is my favourite (because Kyogre and the rain; I love water types most). I still get nostalgia and want to play them again! One of the reasons I cannot find time to finish the newer games.
    Last edited by Celebˇ; 19th September 2013 at 9:22 AM.

  21. #46
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    United Kingdom (England)
    Posts
    256

    Default

    No, I am playing it though I am currently Masuda Methoding (MMing) for a shiny Cottonee at the moment, though I'm sure Nintendo and Game Freak will release a remake in the not too distant future :-).
    Bluebird55's Battle-Beating Duo!

    My Friend Code - 1891-1851-7972

  22. #47
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    the UG
    Posts
    3,467

    Default

    I'm hopeful for a remake. Pokemon has been known to use our love of nostalgia, so I'm thinking we'll get one. It'd be weird on the 3DS, though. Who knows? Anyways, I always play RSE. I always thought 2nd gen was my favorite, but I fell in love with RSE.

    take me somewhere stars are still asleep.

  23. #48
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    203

    Default

    Love these games. My favs so far I think. I had Ruby and Emerald. Loved the region, loved the music, loved the Pokemon. Would be nice to see a remake but unsure if they will to be honest.

    My shinys: Pokemon Y~ Skrelp, Shellder~Cloyster, Bergmite, Poliwhirl~Politoad, Snorunt~Froslass, Wingull, Quilladin.
    Friend code: 0559-6908-3462. Trying to complete Pokedex. Need Meloetta, Keldeo & Landorus.
    Playing: Final Fantasy XIV Online, Final Fantasy X HD.

  24. #49
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    4

    Default

    What make you think no one like R/S/E anymore? I am still loyal to R/S/E . It dont have a remake does not mean no one like it.
    ~Newly Created Pokemon Forums~
    http://forums.rentoray.com

  25. #50

    Default

    I likey this game :c I like the wild pokemon battle music XP and of course Kyogre is beast.
    3DS: 1779-0094-0137

    Credit to Sworn Metalhead

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •