Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Worst cartoon characters of all time?

"Really she could be considered a bully if she wasn't so pathetic all the time?"

Uh, I tend to think actual bullies are pretty pathetic myself. Especially after they graduate and find out there's no demand for their "skills" (I use the term loosely).

Another one I dislike is the Mortal Kombatefenders of the Realm(Yes, this happened) incarnation of Rain.

He isn't a one-and-done character, people!
    MUCHA HAWLUCHA, YEAH!

Quagmire, and jeff on american dad. He is just a boring stoner.
    My first shiny ever caught!

Named Admiral Sentret

Quote Originally Posted by ShinyGirl View Post
    .... Please dont tell me Plank creeped you out
    I didnt like Edd much because he was always too sensible and chicken-y whenever they did something.
    Nuuu... Plank was cool xD. Yeah.. I guess so, too soft. I could never figure if it was a guy or a girl xD!!
    There is no upperhand hand, I'm giving you mine. It doesn't have to end up wasting your time. There's things that I could say, here in my way. I wanna let you know, that it's all okay.

You love pizza!

Go eat Tuna fish!

I still have no life. Trololo ~

Black 2. My fc : 4213 5452 6544

(Credit goes to FairyWitch)

(Credit goes to Astral Shadow)

I guess Plank is okay... I'd say he's the best cartoon character who's an inanimate object...

Uhm, you know, I really can't think of any OTHER cartoon characters who are inanimate objects, come to think of it... At least none who were recurring characters, but I guess that's... Still an accomplishment...

Plank was the best character in Ed, edd, and eddy. It's johnny who I can't stand.

Quote Originally Posted by xYachu View Post
    Nuuu... Plank was cool xD. Yeah.. I guess so, too soft. I could never figure if it was a guy or a girl xD!!
    Plank is the best inanimate character for sure. I was actually glad to see him at one time.
    I used to think Edd was a girl I think it was his hair that did it for me

I can't find my toothbrush, and it's REALLY STRESSIN' ME OUT!

Quote Originally Posted by Tropius19 View Post
    It's johnny who I can't stand.
    My opinion? The three Eds may have been "anti-heroes" (at best), but you had to side with them because practically everyone else in the show was, in some way, worse. Most of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Maedar View Post
    My opinion? The three Eds may have been "anti-heroes" (at best), but you had to side with them because practically everyone else in the show was, in some way, worse. Most of the time.
    For me, most of those people ruined the show at parts. It wouldve been better if it was just Ed Edd and Eddy

Quote Originally Posted by ShinyGirl View Post
    For me, most of those people ruined the show at parts. It wouldve been better if it was just Ed Edd and Eddy
    But then there would have been no point of the show, its main focus was around the Ed's trying to scam the other kids. Take that away and there's not much left for them to do. It would of ended not long after starting the series.

Jonny was a annoying character at least the likes of Kevin, Sarah, Jimmy and Kankers all had some sort of reasons to be mean or at the very least not that nice to the Ed's. Jonny though really seemed ti be meant to show what is a really annoying kid with no reason to be annoying.

Johnny basically had a whole episode to fix his annoying habits but the Ed's made it worse....and those bone cracking...poor Victor and the other barn animals were in complete shock. xD

Plank should have his own 5 minute series...just saying and the writers can treat Johnny like the parents: rarely heard and rarely seen.

Miju cx

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmareisalive View Post
    Jonny though really seemed ti be meant to show what is a really annoying kid with no reason to be annoying.
    He's a kid with an overactive imagination. Kids with overactive imaginations tend to annoy people that don't have overactive imaginations.

The thing people don't understand is that Ed, Edd 'n Eddy is primarily a modern day Three Stooges. If you've ever watched the Three Stooges, you know that Larry, Curly and Moe almost never succeed, and there are usually consequences for what they end up doing.

When it comes to the other characters and people constantly saying that they are annoying, idiotic or worse than the Eds, look at the supporting characters you get in the Three Stooges. Some of them are just as annoying or stereotyped (in some cases, worse so). By the way, how on earth did those three manage to get assigned to a turret in WWII? For that matter, did they honestly expect them NOT to burn down the fire station when they got jobs there? And how did they become commanders in the army during the crusades? The point is, it's not supposed to make sense. It's just supposed to be silly.

So when you look at the characters in the cul de sac, you have to remember that they're just referencing the kind of personalities you'd see in the Three Stooges. It's just supposed to be silly and a little but dumb. That's just the way shows like that are.
    A Winner Is You!!!

If you spend too much time thinking about a thing, you'll never get it done.
    - Bruce Lee

The worst thing you can do in any business is blame the customer.
    - Willie 'Jack' Degel

Most off the characters in ed, edd, and eddy annoyed me, so I guess I would say I really liked plank because he doesn't talk.
    My first shiny ever caught!

Named Admiral Sentret

If there's any character in Ed,Edd, and Eddy that I didn't like it be Ed's brothers.
    Worse character in the show, because his only appearance portrayed him as a dick.
    It didn't help it was the last episode. Like Scrappy he had potential, but was handled poorly. Not as bad as Scrappy but still.
    3DS FC: 3652-1012-6122

Baking Soda, I got Baking Soda!

Quote Originally Posted by TheBattleFrontierAsh1 View Post
    If there's any character in Ed,Edd, and Eddy that I didn't like it be Ed's brothers.
    Worse character in the show, because his only appearance portrayed him as a dick.
    It didn't help it was the last episode. Like Scrappy he had potential, but was handled poorly. Not as bad as Scrappy but still.
    I think though that was how it really was meant to have a big impact for the Ed, Edd N eddy universe. Eddy built him up as the greatest thing ever where what ever he touched turned to gold so when he turned out to be a jerk it was meant to get a real shock reaction from the kids and audience. The whole thing was really to maximize how much of a jerk he was. It felt though that since the movie was meant to be the end of the series they tried to tie in Eddy's brother to the story so it does feel he had wasted potential in the sense he could of had a much bigger impact on the series if introduced earlier.

i never realized so many people actually hated that show, that show was really surprisingly good. That, or it must've really left in a pretty good impact.

Yeah, I'm personally surprised at the disliking of the show as well. Yeah, I didn't watch all of the episodes (no cable--again), but the ones I did see I enjoyed immensely. It reminded me a bit of Peanuts what with the lack of adults. But if we're talking about the show's characters, I honestly never liked the Kanker Sisters. Of course, these days I don't mind them so much now that I know a bit more about the show, but the few times I did see them, they never appealed to me. I'm not entirely sure why, anymore.

And obviously no, I'm not familiar with Eddy's brother, but I went ahead to spoil myself on TV Tropes some time back knowing I won't get to watch the movie anytime soon, and all I can say is, "HOLY. CRAP." That's really brutal for the show. I can only imagine the reactions to the audience the moment he appeared onscreen for the very first time.
    Winner of Best Pokémon/Pokémon Fic of 2013 in the Shipping Oscars
    Current Chapter: Chapter Ten - 3/17/14 / Current: Requiem I - 11/17/14 - Chapter 21 progress: 66%
    I survived Pupa.

Everyone from Naruto

Let me nominate Ash Ketchum as one of the worst cartoon characters of all time. He never ages, in fact he has regressed in age in the Best Wishes anime. In Battle Frontier, Ash was clearly around thirteen and fourteen years of age, with a vast load of more experience and wisdom, and all that progress just disappeared. At this rate, I'm guessing he'll have all his powerful Pokemon disobey him by the next season.

Want someone to review your fanfiction? Wish granted. I accept fanfiction review requests so just PM me!

Quote Originally Posted by Silent_Vibrava View Post
    Let me nominate Ash Ketchum as one of the worst cartoon characters of all time. He never ages, in fact he has regressed in age in the Best Wishes anime. In Battle Frontier, Ash was clearly around thirteen and fourteen years of age, with a vast load of more experience and wisdom, and all that progress just disappeared. At this rate, I'm guessing he'll have all his powerful Pokemon disobey him by the next season.
    For me, it wouldnt be right if Ash aged. I believe the whole point of keeping him young is to keep the Anime going.
    First of all, if he did, hed finally get to an age where hed be too young for journeying and need a job. He would never be able to get around all the regions in time, as Ill doubt GF will stop adding new regions.
    Another guess is that Ash "resets" at every region, much like Ashs Pikachu seems to do.
    I dont believe Ash should be hated for being forever young xD

Uh, that tends to be true with cartoon characters in general.

Quote Originally Posted by Maedar View Post
    Uh, that tends to be true with cartoon characters in general.
    Just because something is common doesn't mean it is right. Only works for cartoon characters that are in timeless settings and where the show's basic formula compliments the timelessness. I can understand Spongebob Squarepants being a static character. I can understand Homer Simpson also being a character that never changes. They live their lives in the same settings, same neighborhood every single day.

Pokemon does not have a formula that agrees with timelessness. Ash is on a Pokemon journey to grow as a person. He is totally uprooted from his home and previous ways of life. Having him be timeless and never changing, never growing, constantly regressing back to his default self before the start of each journey defeats the purpose of watching the whole show. What's the point? It quickly becomes as mindless and mind numbing as Dora the Explorer.

And that's why I hate Ash Ketchum. I see wasted potential. Ash was only worthwhile to see in the first three generations of Pokemon. I prefer the Pokemon manga with the dynamic Red. It is vastly more entertaining and rewarding to consume.

Want someone to review your fanfiction? Wish granted. I accept fanfiction review requests so just PM me!

Just because something is common doesn't mean it is right. Only works for cartoon characters that are in timeless settings and where the show's basic formula compliments the timelessness. I can understand Spongebob Squarepants being a static character. I can understand Homer Simpson also being a character that never changes. They live their lives in the same settings, same neighborhood every single day.

Pokemon does not have a formula that agrees with timelessness. Ash is on a Pokemon journey to grow as a person. He is totally uprooted from his home and previous ways of life. Having him be timeless and never changing, never growing, constantly regressing back to his default self before the start of each journey defeats the purpose of watching the whole show. What's the point? It quickly becomes as mindless and mind numbing as Dora the Explorer.

And that's why I hate Ash Ketchum. I see wasted potential. Ash was only worthwhile to see in the first three generations of Pokemon. I prefer the Pokemon manga with the dynamic Red. It is vastly more entertaining and rewarding to consume.
    The problem is, every time he enters a new region, he has to catch new pokemon, or else the new generation wont be noted. Under this logic, Ash would just become the best trainer on the planet and have zero trouble with battling anyone ever. Cartoon characters don't age very often. Unless it's a sequel in the futue.*shiver*. It doesn't make him a bad character, its just to allow the newer audience to connect to him like we did. Qwaa

Created by PPL Qwaa

Yeah, I guess it doesn't help that the anime acknowledges passing time here and there, so I can understand the frustration of Ash Ketchum. But why should age be so damning to his character? I get it, everyone's still in a tizzy that Ash is not eleven according to Pikachu and Pichu. I understand that he's hardly changed ever since day one. I understand (from word-of-mouth) that his character fell flat in Best Wishes when compared to D/P, and the Hoenn saga. But he's not the only character who fell into this formula. Brock and Misty were victims of it as much as Ash was (though we can say Misty was spared by Hoenn, and Brock over-stayed his welcome and use), and Team Rocket even more-so. It's just the result of bad writing. Ash had noticeable growth to his character up until the end of Hoenn, and then I hear the writing team changes around that time. I'm not sure of it myself due to not keeping up with the anime, but I believe everyone when they say it's the same old formula (and thus why there are so many fan theories out there for this).

When it comes to being ten forever, I thought back to Bart Simpson, who's been ten from day one. Why hasn't anyone complained about this as much as Ash (even though the show's over-stayed its welcome just as much)? It's so obvious that The Simpsons takes place in the present day, it always has been since the 90s. You would think that as everyone around them changed that the characters would also change, especially since we've had a few episodes where we would see them as grown ups. But I doubt we're going to ever get that far by the show's end. It's the same with Pokémon. Time in cartoons is virtually non-existent when you think about it. Most of these cartoons tend to be episodic that can be viewed out of order, so why should time be an issue?

I'm also being reminded back to The Powerpuff Girls, where they're pretty much forever five-years-old/in kindergarten, even though they had a birthday party once. But you don't hear anyone talking about that because time didn't matter in a show like that. The show may have had continuity (like most cartoons do--and should in some cases), but time flowed at its own pace. I think the only time that was ever enforced was in the movie, if not in a couple episodes.

I'm also being reminded of Cardcaptor Sakura where it's so obvious time passes, and yet we only ever hear Sakura is a ten-year-old, though I think she gets a birthday party and she does move up to the fifth grade--I'm digressing.

So anyway, where were we? Discussing about Ash Ketchum being eternally ten? Yeah, why bother, he's going to be on a Pokémon journey until the anime ends, and who knows when that will be. The complaints about him are understandable, but when compared to other beloved cartoons, it's like Pokémon gets attacked more if only because its writing is noticeably bad when there are other cartoons just like that--if not worse.
    Last edited by Kutie Pie; 29th July 2013 at 6:07 PM.
    Winner of Best Pokémon/Pokémon Fic of 2013 in the Shipping Oscars
    Current Chapter: Chapter Ten - 3/17/14 / Current: Requiem I - 11/17/14 - Chapter 21 progress: 66%
    I survived Pupa.

I despise Ahsoka Tano from the Clone Wars. While I liked her character's development, I've always hated her immense power levels (compared to her age and training, at least) and the way she often saves two of the most skilled Jedi of all time, Anakin and Obi-Wan.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast