Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Metal Gear Solid

Default Metal Gear Solid

Didn't see a thread for this, so there we go. Thread for Metal Gear and MGS.

Which is your favorite? Are you excited for Metal Gear Solid V? Is Punished Snake an impostor? Is Quiet related to Sniper Wolf? Why is Big Boss wearing a ponytail? Discuss this and more!

I don't think Punished Snake is fully an imposter. Now, could there have been a fake running around in the nine year coma, perhaps, but I don't thank the playable Punished Snake is an imposter, no.

Cipher sent us to hell - but we're going even deeper - take back every Pokemon that we've lost!
    Wakin, I'm already a demon...
    3DS friend code: 2148-8189-4401 (Rock Type) Nosepass/Pupitar/Barbaracle
    Dream Code: 5400-2204-6955

This series sucks. The cutscenes are too long and there's too much talking. Why can't it be more like COD where you just charge in and kill everyone?

Stop doing this to me Un0va. I'll get to them eventually
    "For a moment, nothing happened. Then, after a second or so, nothing continued to happen."
    Douglas Adams

Spoiler:- Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by Psychic Politoed View Post
    I don't think Punished Snake is fully an imposter. Now, could there have been a fake running around in the nine year coma, perhaps, but I don't thank the playable Punished Snake is an imposter, no.
    I seem to remember Kojima saying in an interview he liked Star Trek, and his favorite episode was The Enemy Within. In that episode they mention that "the impostor can be recognized by the scars on his face", and Punished Snake looked like he had some scars in the E3 trailer.

I wouldn't put it past him.

Is Peace Walker an important part of the timeline? I'm having motivational troubles trying to complete it on the console HD remaster.

I wouldn't put it past Kojima either. Not just because of what he pulled with MGS2. There are signs that Punished Snake could be an imposter but they could just as easily be slight character changes.

I think part of the "imposter theory" is that Big Boss said he wouldn't use electronic cigarettes to Huey in a codec call and then in one of the trailers Snake has a electronic cig.

Quote Originally Posted by Rezzo View Post
    Is Peace Walker an important part of the timeline? I'm having motivational troubles trying to complete it on the console HD remaster.
    I'm having motivational troubles too. Mostly because PERSONA. I'm in a huge Persona groove right now. Dunno what the other cause is. I got Peace Walker in 2011 in the HD Collection, still haven't beat it. Got a few hours in, stopped playing for about a year, re-watched the cutscenes on YouTube to resume playing and still haven't got much farther. It's not even that I dislike it, it's a fine game. Dunno why I'm so reluctant to play it though. That said I still plan to beat it before MGSV. No way I'm going into that without knowing Peace Walker's story.

I'm mostly having trouble working up the motivation to buy MGS4, mainly because I've had just about every facet of the plot spoiled for me, I heard the parts that I still don't know about aren't that great, and there are a LOT of cutscenes.

Is it, like, a significant difference compared to like MGS2? And is it worth it if Peace Walker and MGS V are set in the past anyway? I did hear it's necessary to understand some of the stuff about Zero and Cipher.

Quote Originally Posted by Un0va View Post
    I'm mostly having trouble working up the motivation to buy MGS4, mainly because I've had just about every facet of the plot spoiled for me, I heard the parts that I still don't know about aren't that great, and there are a LOT of cutscenes.

Is it, like, a significant difference compared to like MGS2? And is it worth it if Peace Walker and MGS V are set in the past anyway? I did hear it's necessary to understand some of the stuff about Zero and Cipher.
    I'd say go and play it. It's not the best in the series IMO but it's still a good game. One thing that's very good is that the combat is nowhere near as clunky as 1, 2, and 3. The story is still a good end to the series and wraps everything up in a nice bow.

The third act gives a big rundown on what exactly the Patriots are and how they were formed. It also retcons the phone call ending of MGS2 calling it a "red herring". So just in case MGSV doesn't explain that part it may be essential information. That, and the epilogue also gives more info on the Patriots and Zero.

I just finished MGS3 for the first time, and it was incredible. Definitely worth all the praise.

I'm definitely going to try and play through it again. I thought I'd try European Extreme just to see what it was like, but one question - does it count alerts towards the total since you don't really get any alerts in E.E., just game over?

Metal Gear Solid is definitely one of my favorite video game series, but, unfortunately, I've only played MGS1 and MGS3. I'm actually playing through both of them again. Does anyone know if they were going to make the rest of the MGS games for the 3Ds, instead of just releasing MGS3 for it?

| 3DS FC: 0447-5218-1131 | Trade Shop | ASB |
        Spoiler:- Credits:

Quote Originally Posted by Zephraxe View Post
    Metal Gear Solid is definitely one of my favorite video game series, but, unfortunately, I've only played MGS1 and MGS3. I'm actually playing through both of them again. Does anyone know if they were going to make the rest of the MGS games for the 3Ds, instead of just releasing MGS3 for it?
    I doubt it. Snake Eater 3D was pretty out of the blue, and it didn't sell too well. If you have a PS3 or an Xbox 360, you could buy the HD collection.

I just finished MGS3 for the first time, and it was incredible. Definitely worth all the praise.

I'm definitely going to try and play through it again. I thought I'd try European Extreme just to see what it was like, but one question - does it count alerts towards the total since you don't really get any alerts in E.E., just game over?
    Yes every alert is added up on your total result and that includes every game overs in European Extreme.

I just saw the trailer just after finding this thread and I really don't know what to say about it. Gameplay wise they've upped espionage which Metal Gear games prides itself on, however the story has gotten really dark. Child Soldiers, the blood and gore, if there was ever proof of games desensitizing players, I'd say this fits the bill. However in the scheme of things this seems like a necessary turn for the franchise. Let's face it, most people probably won't find themselves going to war intheir lifetime or going through any of it, however i'm hoping this game forces the player to really ask the hard hitting questions. Boss did a good job with that in MGS3. For what its worth it'll give clarity on Outer Heaven

HNI_0088.JPG

I don't know why, but I absolutely love the camera in MGS3D. I even went through the game once just to get a bunch of cool pictures. The attachment above is a cool picture of the Shagohod I took.

I doubt it. Snake Eater 3D was pretty out of the blue, and it didn't sell too well. If you have a PS3 or an Xbox 360, you could buy the HD collection.
    I wish I had an Xbox 360, but I don't, so I won't be getting the HD collection anytime soon.

--------------------------

One of my favorite things about these games is that they feel like movies. I can see why as Hideo Kojima loves movies which was more than evident in Snake Eater.
    Last edited by Zephraxe; 23rd August 2013 at 12:14 AM.

| 3DS FC: 0447-5218-1131 | Trade Shop | ASB |
        Spoiler:- Credits:

I actually liked MSG3D. It may not be as good as the HD collection, but I did like the minute changes such as the Yoshi (even if it replaced the frogs), and the photo-camo was fun to experiment with. Substance wise, not much has been comprised, or if it did, it was redone in a different way. For example, the extra camos (such as banana) are obtainable without the Subsistence extras. The gameplay is still enjoyable, and it still maintained much of what the Subsistence version had (if you don't count the Guy Savage game).

Maybe it isn't as good as HD version, I doubt it, but I liked the game as it was. Besides it is still a remake of a great game irregardless.

Cipher sent us to hell - but we're going even deeper - take back every Pokemon that we've lost!

Quote Originally Posted by Zephraxe View Post
    HNI_0088.JPG

I don't know why, but I absolutely love the camera in MGS3D. I even went through the game once just to get a bunch of cool pictures. The attachment above is a cool picture of the Shagohod I took.
    Can you save pictures from the camera to the SD card in 3D? That's pretty useful.
    One of my favorite things about these games is that they feel like movies. I can see why as Hideo Kojima loves movies which was more than evident in Snake Eater.
    I think they feel like movies in a good way, without compromising any of the gameplay for it despite the enormous cutscenes in some.

Snake Eater especially. It felt like a really awesome, really depressing James Bond movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Charizard Champion#06 View Post
    So they're taking out the health bar in Metal Gear Solid V. Replacing it with regenerating health. That's a thing.
    That's not all.

The disinterested, disarming cadence of Kiefer Sutherland’s phoned-in performance flattens the roguish charm of Big Boss, creating a generic almost-tough guy lead whose gameplay traits draw more from Sam Fisher than Solid Snake. This isn’t necessarily a bad thing -- Kojima wants Phantom Pain to appear to “a global audience,” and the new form and function appear more accessible than Guns of the Patriots’ westernized yet still hardcore systems.

Before a guard enters an alert state, you’ll get a button prompt indicating you’re busted. Hold the left trigger, and you’ll briefly freeze time, giving you the opportunity to pump a couple quiet bullets into an alarmed enemy’s eyeballs. It’s an elegant means of avoiding detection that comes with a Mark and Execute sense of style, but I’m terrified this neuters the importance of evasion. If Boss can simply stroll out in front of someone and guarantee a gnarly, up-close execution, what’s the counter-measure? Kojima emphasized that the demo was on a lower, still-untuned difficulty for the sake of my hands-off presentation, but it’s still something that concerns me deeply.
    I think I physically felt pain reading that article.

So they're taking out the health bar in Metal Gear Solid V. Replacing it with regenerating health. That's a thing.
    Wow.. well that's one way for them to ruin the series. Part of MGS was not having regenerating health and using your Rations carefully. Why not just make it an FPS while they're at it? -__-

Yeah, that's where I heard it from not that I got to IGN or anything **** IGN someone linked my the article

BURR BA HURR WAZ IT UH PHANTUM PAAAIIIIN?!?!!!!

I'm not going to go out and say they're ruining MGSV yet. But it doesn't seem like a step in the right direction either, at least for fans of the other games like myself. The evidence is starting to pile on that Kojima's willing to say "**** tradition" and make the new game he wants to make. I mean first there was the weird change to roman numerals (1, 2, 3, 4, V?!), then they replaced Hayter and now this. It looks like this is going to be an entirely different form of Metal Gear Solid and I'm not so excited about it anymore. It's turned into a bit of concern really.

The first Metal Gear Solid is pretty much the best game of the fifth generation.

You know, I'm generally pretty okay with varying gameplay styles, but why did this seem necessary to anyone?
    3DS FC: 3926-4256-2399
    Ingame name: Coatlicue

The usual links

Quote Originally Posted by The Admiral View Post
    You know, I'm generally pretty okay with varying gameplay styles, but why did this seem necessary to anyone?
    I can understand why they would put this option. With far more guards spread over a bigger map, I am sure people new to the series will have an extremely difficult time completing the game if they get spotted. I just hope you can turn it off in the "OPTIONS" menu for those who want a challenge.
    I am a reliable and trusted trader. Over 135+ PKMN traded and counting.

Banned from trading with me: dasbun

Quote Originally Posted by Puma Italia View Post
    Wow.. well that's one way for them to ruin the series. Part of MGS was not having regenerating health and using your Rations carefully. Why not just make it an FPS while they're at it? -__-
    I see that it the "ruin forever" in these forums is not just getting to Pokemon and Nintendo.

I'm losing faith in these forums. I'll be frank about my slight disdain for Hayter not doing the famous role, but I would look forward to this game, if nothing else than to see story progression. Maybe a possible game my friend can get for PS3.

BURR BA HURR WAZ IT UH PHANTUM PAAAIIIIN?!?!!!!
    I'm thinking of pain more akin to hornets and micro-bombs.

Quote Originally Posted by Psychic Politoed View Post
    I see that it the "ruin forever" in these forums is not just getting to Pokemon and Nintendo.

I'm losing faith in these forums. I'll be frank about my slight disdain for Hayter not doing the famous role, but I would look forward to this game, if nothing else than to see story progression. Maybe a possible game my friend can get for PS3.
    To be honest, I'm not a fan of removing the health bar. You can put in regenerating health if you want, but I still want to be able to see my hit points in some quantifiable manner. I may just be used to that, though, so /shrug

I'm not going to, like, ****ing boycott the game over something that silly, though. I'm just going to whine about QTEs some more.
    Last edited by The Admiral; 8th November 2013 at 7:53 PM.
    3DS FC: 3926-4256-2399
    Ingame name: Coatlicue

The usual links

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast