Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Opinions on events

Quote Originally Posted by BCVM22 View Post
    If someone is starting Generation III right now and still expecting an event Deoxys in one of those games, that's 100% on them. Expecting the company to continue what was already limited-time event support for software that's over a decade old at this point simply isn't being realistic.
    Of course it isn't realistic, that was my point "they are obviously not doing doing anything to help you get it in the Gen 3 game". Which is exactly why making certain pokemon event exclusive has long term effects. However if they didn't make certain pokemon event exclusive, this problem wouldn't exist.
    1st X run:

Quote Originally Posted by randomspot555 View Post
    And why is that?
    Because you're taking out something that could have easily been in the game originally, but it isn't simply due to the developer's choice. And there will always be people without access to events. You can't really deny simply making pokemon catchable in game is the simplest and most effective way to make sure everyone has a fair shot at catching the pokemon. The whole idea just creates many unnecessary complications that can really easily avoided b putting pokemon in game. I also made a point above concerning the fact each game will eventually face a time when GF won't create events for the respective game, making certain pokemon completely unobtainable. I like the idea of events, just not the idea of making certain pokemon impossible to obtain without them.

So only the most proficient of battlers should be able to get special Pokemon?
    I never said anything along those lines. What I used was an imaginary task to make a point about there being certain tasks GF can create that players can complete to unlock pokemon. It doesn't have to be some crazy battle streak, it doesn't have to be particularly hard, it doesn't even have to involve battling at all. It was just an idea I made of the top of my head to make a point. Be my guest to put forward your own suggestions (Not involving events). Also if you did use my example of a task, it still would be more available than simply not putting it in the game at all. Also people who did struggle to earn it in my example could still get it from an event.

It isn't like capturing a Pokemon is some incredibly hard task, and Key Item distribution happens as well, such as the Liberty Ticket for Victini in BW1.
    Well capturing a pokemon by battling it is always going to be harder than simply downloading a level 100 version of it for free. And I don't know many advantages of forcing players to wait to get given these items instead of allowing players to unlock them in game.

No gaming company in existence is going to support outdated technology and software. This is not new. If this is a big deal for you, you might want to either play newer video games, or find another hobby.
    Of course. Expecting GF to carry on making events for a game x years old would be irrational (I think I did mention this "they are obviously not doing doing anything to help you get it in the Gen 3 games "). However a way to get through this undeniable issue would be to simply make all pokemon available within the cartridge itself so we won't have to rely on support many years later. And I've never really said it was a big deal, it's just something I dislike because it is annoying for no good reason. And simply telling fans to quit something they have always loved, still love and will love for many years to come is quite an unreasonable request. It's a really poor marketing strategy.

Keep in mind: Those Gen 3 games are still fully playable and able to be enjoyed, there's 300+ Pokemon to use within them. There's no reason you specifically need a Deoxys or Jirachi or Celebi to specfiically play those Gen 3 games.
    Definitely, they still are enjoyable games for the most part. However more pokemon available within the game = more enjoyment. And it must pretty frustrating if someone's favourite pokemon is a Jirachi and they can't actually get it at all. Those pokemon definitely aren't required, but I'm sure you can agree the game is better with the choice to capture and use them.
    1st X run:

Quote Originally Posted by The Sylveon Mastermind View Post
    56 win streak on the Battle Subway? That's ridiculous and highly unfair. And horribly stupid, seeing you have kids playing the game, and clearly most won't even get past the fourteenth streak. And not just the kids either!
    It's not working hard--it's dangling something shiny in front of someone and telling them that they can't get it because they didn't win a bunch of battles or that they simply weren't good enough.
    Geeze, what is up with people and hard work? Sometimes not everything is going to be a game of "search for the cheese". That's not the point in working hard. You don't work hard for everything. You can't wait or something?
    Like I explained to randomspot, that wasn't my set, non negotiable way I think pokemon should be earned. It was merely an idea I came up with on the spot to help illustrate my point. You can come up with what ever ideas you like for tasks. And surely by the logic you used there, you could say events are dangling something shiny in front of someone and saying they can't have it because they don't live in the right places or simply were unable to get the event gifts when they were being given out. And even if a pokemon does require a ridiculously hard task to obtain it, that still is easier than simply making it event exclusive since it can still be given out at events to people who are unable to complete the tasks. I really didn't get that "game of search of the cheese thing". But I don't see what's wrong with giving people the option to work hard instead of being forced to wait for something.
    1st X run:

I don't like the shiny pokemon that are given out. It makes me angry in way, because I've spent lots of time looking for them. It took me like a month to get Shiny Dialga via soft resetting. Besides, aren't shiny pokemon supposed to be rare? The events sort of ruin the purpose of them...

Thanks to Astral Shadow for the button!

Quote Originally Posted by SimH8 View Post
    Because you're taking out something that could have easily been in the game originally, but it isn't simply due to the developer's choice. And there will always be people without access to events. You can't really deny simply making pokemon catchable in game is the simplest and most effective way to make sure everyone has a fair shot at catching the pokemon. The whole idea just creates many unnecessary complications that can really easily avoided b putting pokemon in game. I also made a point above concerning the fact each game will eventually face a time when GF won't create events for the respective game, making certain pokemon completely unobtainable. I like the idea of events, just not the idea of making certain pokemon impossible to obtain without them.
    At no point in time has there EVER been a Pokemon game where every single Pokemon has been obtainable within one game cart so that's simply an unrealistic expectation or suggestion on your part. Part of the appeal of Pokemon is that it is fully playable right there and then, out of the box. but a new world opens up if you get out and battle and trade with other people and attend events and what not. None of that is required, but it opens up new doors if you can and choose to.

I never said anything along those lines. What I used was an imaginary task to make a point about there being certain tasks GF can create that players can complete to unlock pokemon. It doesn't have to be some crazy battle streak, it doesn't have to be particularly hard, it doesn't even have to involve battling at all. It was just an idea I made of the top of my head to make a point. Be my guest to put forward your own suggestions (Not involving events). Also if you did use my example of a task, it still would be more available than simply not putting it in the game at all. Also people who did struggle to earn it in my example could still get it from an event.
    This seems to be part of the don't fix what isn't broken thing I keep talking about.

Well capturing a pokemon by battling it is always going to be harder than simply downloading a level 100 version of it for free. And I don't know many advantages of forcing players to wait to get given these items instead of allowing players to unlock them in game.
    Why does this matter at all?

Of course. Expecting GF to carry on making events for a game x years old would be irrational (I think I did mention this "they are obviously not doing doing anything to help you get it in the Gen 3 games "). However a way to get through this undeniable issue would be to simply make all pokemon available within the cartridge itself so we won't have to rely on support many years later. And I've never really said it was a big deal, it's just something I dislike because it is annoying for no good reason. And simply telling fans to quit something they have always loved, still love and will love for many years to come is quite an unreasonable request. It's a really poor marketing strategy.
    Really, it's your request that is unreasonable as I've already explained.

Quote Originally Posted by Aura Of Twilight View Post
    I don't like the shiny pokemon that are given out. It makes me angry in way,
    That's nice.

because I've spent lots of time looking for them. It took me like a month to get Shiny Dialga via soft resetting
    Your value that you personally see in your Shiny Dialga is the exact same regardless of whatever else happens.

Besides, aren't shiny pokemon supposed to be rare?
    No.
    I'm part of the staff at Project Pokemon! Smod in forums, AOP in IRC, Administrator on Shoddy. Come visit us. Our Project is Pokemon!

Quote Originally Posted by BCVM22 View Post
    Again, it's completely unrealistic to expect them to continue supporting defunct software with events, given that half their purpose is to promote new material.

Or...

Knowing, as we do, that the events aren't designed to be available to everyone, everywhere at all times (because that's impossible), they could, like, not do this (which they don't) and people could accept that no, not everyone is going to have access to everything. If one wants to complain that's unfair, go ahead. Perhaps it is a little bit. But life's not fair, and independent of that reality, the events are designed to be available to as many people as possible over a short period of time, which they absolutely are. If one is excluded from "as many people as possible" for a given event, that's unfortunate, but it isn't an indictment of the system as a whole, given that far, far, far, far many more people are able to access the events than are not.

They sure aren't, and the fact that events are continuing to be distributed in this fashion would seem to be the only indication one needs that they won't be changing any time soon. It should be the final argument in and of itself that the final event of Generation V is in-store while the first of Generation VI is Wi-Fi. That's as perfect of a cross-section as you need.

People need to stop saying "I don't get [some of] the events, so it's time for change." Again, I'm sorry you don't, but the system as a whole serves far more people than it leaves out. And if this is the only place you ever experience such injustice, your life will be one well-lived.
    That last part made it seem like I was claiming this is the worst thing to happen to anything ever, which is flat out hyperbole, and missing my point. At the end of the day I'm not fussed, all the event guys I've gotten I've taken a look at and forgotten about, but I find it strange how they cut content from the game (not explicitly cut, don't spin this out, you know what I mean) and distribute it in different ways around the globe, some parts get it some don't, yet we all pay the premium to get the game in our respective countries, some paying less and getting more event guys than those who don't, and I'm talking about the ones that distribute Pokémon in the only way to get them, through events.

I paid $70 for my version of Pokémon LeafGreen, that was fine, I had no beef with that, but I did find it strange how those people in the US paid $35 (that's a whole other can of worms, and not my focus) and also get access to new content in the form of new "levels" and other characters that I wasn't able to get.

If the events are 'designed to be accessed by certain people' then they're flat out weird straight off the bat, and I don't agree that that is what they were designed for. I can see their intention, celebrate fans coming to their whatever it is they give these things out at, and that would be fine if it was like Shiny Charizard that knows Hydro Pump or whatever, but content shouldn't be cut from the game and handed out piece-meal. It's like if they released Mario Kart for the Wii, but it didn't have Rainbow Road, you'd have to go to Mario Kart-a-thon to get it put into your game, and you go online, anybody else who unfortunately couldn't get the track can spectate your race on it, but not use it. That's just weird.

Meanwhile they could put up "Deoxys Mansion" or what have you on the eShop, $5 a pop or free, and anybody can go get that content. If you don't have the download, that's fine, you can go online and battle people who have Deoxys, but you cannot get it yourself. This is similar to what they're doing with the Wi-Fi events now, but with those it's extremely lackluster, but serves the same purpose as those real world events, just a ton more inclusive.

This turned out more of a rant than I would have liked but I'm sure you get my point more now.

I just don't like how some players are excluded on getting some cool stuff.
    I missed so many events, until I recently discovered that my DSi could use our Wi-Fi router.

I have claimed Riki from Xenoblade Chronicles

Spoiler:- Credit:

i wish instead of events the pokemon where given out in game as rewards... for example up until black and white 2 you got practically sod all for completing the monumental challenge that is completing the national/regional dex. Why not instead when you complete the national dex you get special rare pokemon like deoxys or oaks letter to go capture shaymin etc etc etc. It seems unfair that those who don't have wi fi can't get pokemon such as deoxys etc or those who can't travel to japan/america (who seem to get a heck load more events than the uk) or even travel to special gamestop/GAME stores that are participating in event give aways. Or perhaps you have defeat a exceptionally strong trainer like red for example and once you defeat him he gives you a rare pokemon he captured as a reward.
    Quote Originally Posted by gogglewoodledee
    I just don't like how some players are excluded on getting some cool stuff.
    I missed so many events, until I recently discovered that my DSi could use our Wi-Fi router.
    the problem i personally have is too use my ds on the internet i must change some settings around (on the router i can't remember for sure but i think it's something to do with the DS can only use the router if it's security setting is on WEP 2 or something which FYI is weak security), these settings are not compatible with my laptop/computer so there for when i want to go on the internet to battle etc on my ds other family members can't use the computer so i usually can't go online with the ds.
    Last edited by wolf king; 18th August 2013 at 3:21 PM.

At no point in time has there EVER been a Pokemon game where every single Pokemon has been obtainable within one game cart so that's simply an unrealistic expectation or suggestion on your part. Part of the appeal of Pokemon is that it is fully playable right there and then, out of the box. but a new world opens up if you get out and battle and trade with other people and attend events and what not. None of that is required, but it opens up new doors if you can and choose to.
    Just because GF have never done something before, that doesn't mean they can never do it ever. Before Gen 2 you couldn't hold items. Before Gen 3 there were no such things as double battles. Before Gen 4 there was no such thing as Wifi battling. It's not unrealistic at all. The whole point of a new game is to change things. GF have always added surprising features, and the one we're discussing isn't exactly physically hard to implement. Just because a problem has existed since the beginning of the series, it doesn't mean it's not a problem to be addressed. And saying it is part of the appeal of pokemon is an opinionated statement. That idea may appeal to some peope, but others will find more of an appeal if you could simply sit back and do everything with your cartridge and console instead of being forced to check when you can get the pokemon you want.

This seems to be part of the don't fix what isn't broken thing I keep talking about.
    But making pokemon event exclusive IS a broken system. It has undeniable flaws which can really easily be solved by simply in putting pokemon in the game, which should have been there in the first place. I'm not even sure how that answered my origninal point concerning that GF can create any task they choose to make the pokemon obtainable.

Why does this matter at all?
    I don't know how to answer this question since you've asked it in a weird way, but I'll have a go anyway. You seemed to suggest how being given a pokemon is harder than manually catching the pokemon, so I corrected you. I also suggested that a much more sensible way to give key items to players, is to make them unlockable for everyone in game as long as they do the right task, instead of exclusively to certain players who live near a certain gamestop for example. But I probably didn't give the answer you were expecting because I'm not too sure what you were asking. :P

Really, it's your request that is unreasonable as I've already explained.
    I don't really understand how simply making sure all pokemon are available in game is an unreasonable request. I'm not exactly asking for an amazing engine and constant new features to be downloaded for free. It's wanting a few creatures that should be in the game to begin with to actually be there. It's a very simple request that GF can very easily do. I didn't really catch your explanation to why it was an unreasonable request. Unless it's the thing about how they've never done it before? If that was your explanation, then that's irrelevant since the whole point of a new game it to change how things work.

But I really see don't any genuine benefits at all to keeping out content that should be in the game. I have explained flaws (such as long term consequences and not every can access events), but I don't understand how the benefits weigh out these flaws. They could easily put a long and difficult task to make catching these pokemon special. Then players would at least have the choice to either work at it, or wait for an event.

Don't get me wrong, I think events are a good idea, but they don't need to make pokemon event exclusive to make them worthwhile. They can give out shinies, exclusives moves, abilities and pokemon with high stats. Making all pokemon available in game hurts nobody. Players who like events can do it there way, people who like catching their pokemon can do it theirs.
    1st X run:

The only problem I have with events: they're kinda boring.

I mean, it's nice to get a present every once in a while, all wrapped up and delivered right to your game. I won't complain about getting a lvl 100 Arceus for free. But sometimes I wish the events would add a little bit of plot to the game. Obviously, this would only be applicable to the event legendaries within the game itself, not so much with the random events we sometimes get to promote a movie/anime/occurrence. But if events gave you a little bit of plot, showed how the pokemon fit into the mythos of the region, I think that'd be really cool.

If it isn't clear, what I mean is instead of getting say, Oak's Letter in Gen IV and going to that rock near the Pokemon League where it would open the path to the area that held Shaymin, there would be a little more legwork involved. So you'd get an item, it would unlock a certain sequence of events, and from there you would have to battle certain trainers and navigate through a cave or something, maybe fight a few team grunts. Basically, a more expanded version of what one had to do to get victini at the lighthouse. Instead of just being gifted an event, why not have a bit more gameplay to go with it?
    3DS FC: 0748-3041-6462

Fictionpress / Buy My Book! / Hero's Path

Quote Originally Posted by Frost Mage View Post
    The only thing that bugs me about certain events is when they're shiny. I'm a shiny hunter and seeing the GameStop events for shiny Dialgas, Palkias, and Giratinas sucks because I really would like to hunt for them, and as soon as the event has passed, they lose their value. Same with shiny Gyarados, but that's an in-game problem.
    Exactly how does it lose value? All I'm seeing is decent demand for the Shiny Beast trio (some of which have decent nature and exclusive movesets) when supply had long passed.

Quote Originally Posted by SimH8 View Post
    Just because GF have never done something before, that doesn't mean they can never do it ever. Before Gen 2 you couldn't hold items.
    I'm not saying that Game Freak doesn't have the mental and physical capabilities to include every single Pokemon within one game cart, but Pokemon has, since the first generation, had version exclusives, trade evolutions, Pokemon you only get once of a batch of Pokemon (starters, Hitmonchan/Lee), and events. It is so improbable that they'd do what you're asking that is is an unrealistic expectation to ever have that. All the other things you talk about are finer mechanics that get tuned and adjusted throughout the generation, but a single Pokemon cart has always had to interact with OTHERS in some form or another to get unobtainable Pokemon. That is a core feature that is highly unlikely to change.

But making pokemon event exclusive IS a broken system. It has undeniable flaws which can really easily be solved by simply in putting pokemon in the game, which should have been there in the first place. I'm not even sure how that answered my origninal point concerning that GF can create any task they choose to make the pokemon obtainable.
    It is "broken" in as much that it disappoints some people, but being unable to obtain a specific Pokemon on your cart doesn't prevent anyone from playing a game and enjoying it. Considering that each Pokemon game contains hundreds of Pokemon that can be obtained within the game itself, it is highly unlikely that someone won't be able to find a handful of Pokemon to use to enjoy the game. And those that need specific Pokemon can take measures to get those.

I don't know how to answer this question since you've asked it in a weird way, but I'll have a go anyway. You seemed to suggest how being given a pokemon is harder than manually catching the pokemon, so I corrected you. I also suggested that a much more sensible way to give key items to players, is to make them unlockable for everyone in game as long as they do the right task, instead of exclusively to certain players who live near a certain gamestop for example. But I probably didn't give the answer you were expecting because I'm not too sure what you were asking. :P
    They already do this, to an extent, within the game, such as the extrenespeed Dratini in HGSS and that special shiny you get in BW2. But saying "event Pokemon should just become obtainable Pokemon in the game, except really hard" is like saying starter Pokemon should be able to be found in the wild. It defeats the purpose and the perception of rarity that most event exclusive Pokemon have. It basically makes them no longer event Pokemon. So while that's a nice suggestion, it doesn't really fit into the mold of event exclusive Pokemon...which, as I've pointed out before, have been around since Gen I.

But I really see don't any genuine benefits at all to keeping out content that should be in the game. I have explained flaws (such as long term consequences and not every can access events),
    "long term consequences" being that yes, video game companies often don't do support for decade old games. To expect Game Freak to be any different than the dozens of other game developers is absurd.

but I don't understand how the benefits weigh out these flaws.
    Are there flaws, in that not everyone can actually go to the events for whatever reason?

Yes.

Is this flaw something that detracts so heavily from the game that prevents enjoyment of the game?

No.

Event Pokemon are nifty bonuses. If you get them, cool. If not, you still have hundreds to choose from.
    I'm part of the staff at Project Pokemon! Smod in forums, AOP in IRC, Administrator on Shoddy. Come visit us. Our Project is Pokemon!

Can we please go without the off-topic remarks about people looking at threads (what's wrong with that? Forums are meant to have discussion in them, so if someone disagrees with your opinion there's nothing bad about that) or saying '.......lol' in response to a post, and so forth? Thanks.

I don't see them changing it by removing events, because for Game Freak (and Nintendo)'s point of view there's more pros than cons. Yes, it's annoying to miss out on events, but there's the option of trading someone for something you missed via wifi and not having this shiny legendary doesn't detract from the main gameplay either. What events do provide is basically free advertising and promotion of a game. They can encourage someone to get a game sooner rather than later, and each time they do a tie in with a store to send out so-and-so a Pokemon, that means a big flashy sign is going to go up in said store talking about the games the event is for. And that's exactly what it's for.

Plus version exclusives, etc that contribute to a need for trading is merely creating a need for the whole wifi capabilities they have set up to be used for something besides battles, and it has always been a feature of the games since the 1st gen. It's sort of their way to bring people together no matter where ou live (unless you have no internet =p), which is no bad thing if a bit cheesy. =p

A parody of the Pokemon Colosseum game, full of pastries and Miror B.
    Completed. Four times winner of Best Comedy/Funniest Fic.

The BBS Forums! Join in!
    Gain achievements for activity on forums & the games!

Tied to this Pokemon Magazine! Looking for contributors - check it out!
    Why should you? Well, Wynaut?
    Current article: Pokemon Analysis: The Seel/Dewgong Line! Whatever animals are these based on...?
    Avatar by minty-fivestar on DA, with edited background/cropping. Fic banner by cieux.

Why can't they do the best of both worlds, and make the events occur at the same time over WiFi too?

They're still going to get people that attend the real life events, because they enjoy the in-person aspect of the event, as well as the chance to battle and trade with others.

Having the event over WiFi would allow people that enjoy the game, but perhaps live too far away from an event location, or perhaps due to being disabled or severe ill-health cannot attend the events in person, to actually get the event pokemon.

Quote Originally Posted by kirkeastment View Post
    Why can't they do the best of both worlds, and make the events occur at the same time over WiFi too?

They're still going to get people that attend the real life events, because they enjoy the in-person aspect of the event, as well as the chance to battle and trade with others.

Having the event over WiFi would allow people that enjoy the game, but perhaps live too far away from an event location, or perhaps due to being disabled or severe ill-health cannot attend the events in person, to actually get the event pokemon.
    doubt it what would you rather do drive possibly quite a considerable distance to a event location just to drive back again a couple of minutes laters, plus you can battle people through wi fi at home so why bother driving all that way (perhaps your'e lucky enough to live nearby a GAME store for instance but it's unlikely - you'll probably have to drive)

Quote Originally Posted by BurningWhiteKyurem View Post
    Exactly how does it lose value? All I'm seeing is decent demand for the Shiny Beast trio (some of which have decent nature and exclusive movesets) when supply had long passed.
    It doesn't lower in value. There will be a limited amount of them. They will still be sought after by thousands. IMO, most people I keep seeing complaining about Shiny Pokemon in events are coming from those who hunt shinies.

Quote Originally Posted by kirkeastment View Post

Different events have different purposes. There's a variety of reasons not to have an event distributed over Wi-Fi, as I've documented in this thread.

It doesn't lower in value. There will be a limited amount of them. They will still be sought after by thousands. IMO, most people I keep seeing complaining about Shiny Pokemon in events are coming from those who hunt shinies.
    If more people have them then their much more common (obviously) if there much more common their not as rare and then not as sought after by shiny hunters. Just like how you can catch a shiny gyarados in HGSS ,if i then go and find a wild shiny gyarados while fishing later on in the game by random chance im not going to feel as excited/overjoyed. Because A i just already saw it's shiny colour (which is usually a unknown to me personally so i get a surprise when i see a shiny) and B i already have one.

Quote Originally Posted by wolf king View Post
    If more people have them then their much more common (obviously) if there much more common their not as rare and then not as sought after by shiny hunters. Just like how you can catch a shiny gyarados in HGSS ,if i then go and find a wild shiny gyarados while fishing later on in the game by random chance im not going to feel as excited/overjoyed. Because A i just already saw it's shiny colour (which is usually a unknown to me personally so i get a surprise when i see a shiny) and B i already have one.
    They won't be common because not everyone gets an event Pokemon, obviously. The shiny Pokemon in game shall always be there, unlike Event Pokemon which only stay for a.limited time.
    And people are still looking for a Victini and Genesect. People are still looking for Red Garados. They will still be looking for Shiny Dialga.
    Last edited by The Sylveon Mastermind; 19th August 2013 at 9:07 PM.

They won't be common because not everyone gets an event Pokemon, obviously. The shiny Pokemon in game shall always be there, unlike Event Pokemon which only stay for a.limited time.
    And people are still looking for a Victini and Genesect. People are still looking for Red Garados. They will still be looking for Shiny Dialga.
    i never said they would be i said they would be MORE common(than normal). Which in MO makes them less desirable. Shiny hunters can chain/soft reset/masudo for ages before they get a shiny and then GF releases a shiny event -.- makes all the time spent seem for nothing when you could of just gotten it for absolutely no effort.

And you're undertaking that time and effort to find a shiny, you're doing so with the express knowledge that shiny Pokémon are occasionally given out as gifts with no stipulations. No one ever promised you a set rarity for a given shiny or that they wouldn't be available via far easier means on occasion.

Shinies are not gold or diamonds - there is no market for them and there is no set value for them.

-----
    Never underestimate the power of stupidity, of the one and of the many.
    Words to|live by

IMO all Pokemon should be available for capture regularly in-game.

Quote Originally Posted by MidnightGengar View Post
    IMO all Pokemon should be available for capture regularly in-game.
    Which they have no reason to do, on a number of levels, as has been the case since the very beginning.

-----
    Never underestimate the power of stupidity, of the one and of the many.
    Words to|live by

Exactly my point, the fact that you have these events that have long passed the due dates, and featured shiny Pokemon doesn't even lower the value of the events (that is, if people believe you can quantify these events' value). In fact, it just increases the value seeing how people want these events (again, decent natures AND exclusive movesets, not to mention that the Shiny Beasts were involved with unlocking exclusive content in BW).

Quote Originally Posted by wolf king View Post
    And why do we care about the shiny hunters? As BCVM eloquently stated, they're hunting for shinies with the implicit knowledge that at anytime, and any moment, Nintendo may release a shiny Pokemon event, which may render their hunting useless. If they want to go ahead and pray that they hit the 1/8192 odds of finding that same Pokemon, sure go ahead, but don't complain when Nintendo decides to do a shiny event for the masses.

Moreover, you have to consider the definition of shiny value. Is my Shiny Gyarados still worthless due to the HGSS event despite the fact that it has DW Ability - Moxie? Is the Shiny Entei event worthless despite the fact that it runs a competitively viable nature, has a +2 priority move in ExtremeSpeed?

Point being, you can't easily assign value to a shiny just by virtue of the 1/8192 odds. You have to consider the full picture. (But really, there's nothing valuable about shinies, it's just a colour palette change).

So I guess if there is one shiny Magikarp in existence, it would be very valuable. Nothing special about it other than how it looks. It has no cool moves or ability, it's just the only shiny Magikarp in existence. Heck, it may even have low stats. But because it's shiny and the only kind, everyone wants it!

But now let's say we had a shiny Dragonite that most people have. High stats, good moves, favorable ability and nature. But since it's owned by many, it's worthless.

BWK, you took the words out of my mouth.
    Last edited by The Sylveon Mastermind; 20th August 2013 at 9:21 AM.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast