Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: A Pokémon of a Different Color! (797)

hahaaaa! i missed clair! glad to see her comeback! episode was pretty good funny how alexa left and iris' flashbacks and iteractions with druddigon and dragonite were good too!

Decided to watch a bit of of the anime again while playing some Pokémon Y. I've never really followed the series, I watched some of the first season when I was a kid, but never got into it. Can't say it's improved much over the many years, but I suppose it's alright for a kid's cartoon. I think it was strange Clair tried to calm it down by talking to it, expecting the Druddigon to understand it. Other than that this episode was okay. Team Rocket played a fair role without getting into the way too much, they also seemed to be slightly more competent than they were all those years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by dman_dustin View Post
    If I'm not mistaken, "shiny Pokemon" in the Japanese is "Pokemon of a different color" or something of that if I'm not mistaken, that's what I remember it being referred to as.
    Correct. Though it's also worth noting that "shiny" was a fan term that didn't get made official until around the time BW got released, most likely because it was apparent than people were going to keep calling them that made-up term no matter what, so they might as well use it in official media as well.
    But I certainly wouldn't fault the dub for not using a fan-term-made-official-10-years-after-fans-invented-it when it didn't really have any business being made official in the first place.

Edit: I also disliked how the Dragon Den Dragonite was referred to Clair's Dragonite, I thought the original stated that Clair's Dragonair evolved? Why was the Dragonite we saw in the episode being referred to the same Dragonite that Charizard and Clair's Dragonair helped stop going on an outrage.
    Uh, this is exactly what the original said as well. Where do you have that "Clair's Dragonair evolved" nonsense from?

Quote Originally Posted by Dephender View Post
    But I certainly wouldn't fault the dub for not using a fan-term-made-official-10-years-after-fans-invented-it when it didn't really have any business being made official in the first place.
    Actually it did.

For one thing "A Pokemon of a Different Color" is way too long of a title, and couldn't be slapped on a game.

And giving it official title, made lots of sense.

Why not refer Pokemon of a different color as something in particular, something short, that can be programmed into the Pokedex.

Why wouldn't "shiny" work? It's short and useable. I don't know what the hell they were supposed to officially title alternate colored Pokemon, but it makes more sense to use something everyone calls it then choosing something else and alienating everyone.

What one word could possibly be made up to refer to "alternate colored" Pokemon which would have worked?

Quote Originally Posted by Dephender View Post
    Uh, this is exactly what the original said as well. Where do you have that "Clair's Dragonair evolved" nonsense from?
    1. So the "Dragon Den" Dragonite was female and not male?

2. The "Dragon Den" Dragonite was voiced by Kensuke Sato?

3. Clair magically out of the blue obtained the Dragonite from the "Dragon Den" even though I'm pretty sure, it was said that the Dragonite in "Dragon Den" was supposed to stay there and guard the Dragon Holy Land I believe is what it's called.

4. Clair's actual Dragonair is supposedly dead and never to be heard from again. And for whatever reason the writers would rather focus on a Pokemon that Clair would only "maybe technically" own rather than focus on a Pokemon she actually owns, because it was impossible to evolve her Dragonair.
    Last edited by dman_dustin; 6th November 2013 at 12:06 AM.
    Misinterpreting my posts is not your fault, negative repping me, and getting very sensitive about my posts because you misinterpreted my posts however is your fault. Think really hard, before negative repping or making a big deal about my posts. I don't appreciate being negative repped for reasons that are a result of misinterpreting my posts.

Actually it did.
    "Iro chigai" isn't one word, it's two. And both the anime dub and the English games have referred to them as "alternate-colored" etc for ages. "Shiny" is a fanon term, and it's not a fault of the dub to not use it in this episode.

1. So the "Dragon Den" Dragonite was female and not male?
    Supposedly.

2. The "Dragon Den" Dragonite was voiced by Kensuke Sato?
    Unsho Ishizuka, according to Pokeani. Sato voices Iris' Kairyu.

3. Clair magically out of the blue obtained the Dragonite from the "Dragon Den" even though I'm pretty sure, it was said that the Dragonite in "Dragon Den" was supposed to stay there and guard the Dragon Holy Land I believe is what it's called.
    4. Clair's actual Dragonair is supposedly dead and never to be heard from again. And for whatever reason the writers would rather focus on a Pokemon that Clair would only "maybe technically" own rather than focus on a Pokemon she actually owns, because it was impossible to evolve her Dragonair.
    I honestly don't remember those episodes all that well. But it's explicitly stated in the original that the Kairyu in this episode is the same one that went on a rampage due to the ruined flower bed way back then, and I assume the dub translated this dialogue accurately. Whomever told you there's anything in this episode even remotely suggesting that this is her old Hakuryu that evolved one step further is most likely just making things up due to not actually understanding what's being said. Since they said the exact opposite.

This isn't a dub issue. If the dub says this is the Holy Land Dragonite, the dub is just translating accurately, unlike whomever told you otherwise.

Default "A Pokémon of a Different Colour!"

Alexa temporary leaving the group in the beginning was kinda disappointing, but seeing the Johto Gym leader Clair was cool! I liked Clair's new outfit, she was looking so Hot in it. It's surprising to see Clair mentioning the time when Dragonite than went on a rampage in Johto, It's good to see the writers are bringing up the continuity in DA! The re-animated flashbacks of Ash and Clair's gym battle were cool as well.

Clair saying that Iris's Axew as a "well-trained Pokémon" didn't make sense to me. Axew didn't do anything besides causing trouble, getting lost and blasting off Team Rocket a few times. It really annoys me when the characters try to make it sound like Axew has become a strong Pokémon when it hasn't.

I didn't care about the Iris' flashbacks and Charizard getting kicked by the two Dragonite wasn't funny. When I saw that angry Shiny Druddigon, I thought Iris would be the one who'll clam it down.....but to my surprise, it was Clair who clamed the Druddigon down. It's a good change from all the "Iris-claming-down-Dragon-types" scenes. Also, Clair catching the shiny Druddigon was cool. It's funny to see Alexa getting all excited to see Clair's Druddigon.

Overall, I thought it was a good episode. I liked seeing Clair in the anime again, too bad she won't appear until the Iris spacial.
    Pokémon XY

Kalos, Where Dreams and Adventures Begin!

Quote Originally Posted by DaDonYordel View Post
    Are we not just silly people writing silly complaints on this message board?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234