Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Cooking Ideas!

Deviled eggs is the first thing that comes to mind or egg salad with potatoes. We don't normally dye eggs so i'm not sure of your options.. As to things to cook i'm thinking chicken gravy with biscuits for dinner or chicken dumplings both using the southern US recipes. Hmm maybe some corn bread to go with?

I'm totally obsessed with "Nerdy Nummies"
    I'm trying to do something Pokemon based and nothing generic like "Pokeball Cookies."

I'm thinking of doing a Chikorita Pistachio cake and have a real leaf stick out of the cake as it's leaf on the head.

Other than that I'm good at making a 3 Leches Cakes.
    You need evaporated milk, condensed milk, and regular milk. 4 eggs. Golden Vanilla Cake Mix, Whipped Cream, and sliced almonds (optional).

Bake a Golden Vanilla Cake, let it cool down. Then mix all 3 types of "milk" and pour it all over the cake. Let it soak up the "milks." Keep it in the fridge for like 4-5 hours. Then add whipped cream in top. And for those of you who aren't allergic, crush some almonds and sprinkle em all around to add a nice touch to it. And there it is.
    Pokemon Journals
    Kanto Region:complete
    Johto Region:in progress

Recently, I've been making food that looks amazing and seems hard, but is actually fairly easy to make. Case and point? Apple Tart Tatin.

All you do is make caramel with sugar and butter in a pan, add sliced apples (granny smith preferred), then layer a sheet of puff pastry on top, brush with an egg, then throw it into the oven for about 15 minutes. Then flip it over onto a plate.

Really simple, just have to make sure the caramel doesn't burn and you have a good grip when flipping the pan. Goes great with a cinnamon and maple syrup whipped cream which is super easy to make as well.

Whip up a cup of cream till soft peaks form, then add some maple syrup, cinnamon, and if you have a sweet tooth, little bit of sugar, then whip until stiff peaks. Really great and simple.
        Spoiler:- Want my Friend Code?:

I love hot and spicy Sichuan food although I am from Jiangzhehu. That is Jiangsu/ Zhejiang/ Shanghai area where people mainly love sweet food instead. The chili oil cooked fish/ beef are my favourite. I prefer the numb that comes from the hot dishes.

Basically this dish can be easily found on the web. But the main ingredient is from the chili and the peppercorn.

One thing that I found awesome is, if you have a fish and chip shop that sells that thick curry sauce in the small cups to add the leftover sauce when cooking curry noodles. It's so good!

Also, while I'm sure it's not everyone's cup of tea... For scrambled eggs, use three eggs, add lots of pepper (about 10-15 cracks from a pepper mill), a pinch of salt, and two to three decently cut slices of cheddar cheese. Mix it up in a microwaveable bowl, and heat for 2-3 minutes (depending on how you like them) making sure to scramble them at least three times. It's pretty good~

armadillo eggs:

take some hot peppers; i like serrano but jalapeno if you don't want it that hot or habanero if you want it hotter work, or you don't like the flavour of serrano.

slice open lengthwise, seed and rib the pepper. stuff with your favourite cheese. monterey jack or chedder are safe choices.

wrap outside of pepper in ground beef or ground turkey or sausage or whatever ground meat you want. use breadcrumbs and egg to help stick together, like you're making meatballs.

bake for 20 minutes at 350. i've heard of grilling/broiling them as well but i haven't tried this personally.

optional: experiment with different seasonings for your ground meet. i like just black pepper and garlic salt but hey.

This may sound nasty, but I love it!

A can of tune in spring water.

Two spoons of mayonnaise.

Two spoons of Masterfoods Hot Chilli sauce.

A spoon of diced pickles.

A spoon of diced onions.

Just drain the tuna, mix it all together till it looks like creamy orange vomit, and put it between two pieces of toasted bread. It's a classic. You can add all sorts of stuff to it, make it into a sub sandwich, a wrap, with the right ingredients, it'd make a mighty fine salad!
    "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups."

I like making sushi rolls because of my inner weeaboo since it's actually pretty close to the kind of food I eat everyday. I can never afford to buy a lot of different types of fish, so I stick with smoked hickory salmon in bulk packages. The smoky, salty taste kind of drowns out the taste of the rice, vinegar, and light undertone of seaweed (depending on the quantity) but it also nulls the need for soy sauce, which I only like with dumplings. Of course, it's a little plain just like that, so I also add avocadoes and cucumber, both preferably chunky and crunchy. It gives the roll more of a solid feeling in your hand rather than a little ball of mushy rice. I also like to use imitation crab sometimes, but that only has a discernable taste with soy sauce, so it depends. What really scares me while making them is the ratio of rice to vinegar. I don't tend to like the exact measurements on the bottle and online, but sometimes I go overboard and the entire thing tastes kind of sour. And, of course, you need to use just enough force to mould it into the right shape: not too loose, but not tight and compact, like a triangle (which is surprisingly more easy to make). I haven't made any for a while, though, and I kind of want to now. =u=

i've got chicken barbacoa sitting in my slowcooker right now, will update when i get to eat it if i like it or not, but here's the recipe:

2 chicken breasts, whole, extra fat removed
    1 fat red onion, quartered
    6 cloves of garlic (you can use less if you don't like garlic as much as me)
    2 cans chipotle peppers in adobo (the original recipe called for one, but i like it spicy)
    chicken stock
    oregano
    cumin
    salt
    black pepper

dry rub your chicken with the salt and black pepper. remove the skin from the garlic and red onion, quarter the red onion, leave the garlic whole, put it in your crock pot. add the chipotle peppers, cumin, and oregano. stir. put the chicken on top and add a cup of chicken stock, spooning over some of the sauce on top of the chicken. cook on high for four hours. remove the chicken, then drain the sauce into a bowl. original recipe called to simply discard the garlic, onion, and chipotle, but i'm only going to discard the peppers and puree the garlic and onion and add it to the sauce. shred chicken, and use corn starch to thicken the sauce of necessary.

used for tacos, nachos, etc. i'm going to eat it on tacos with some white rice, cilantro, sour cream and cheddar. like i said, will edit if it's gr8.

edit: just took a bit of it after shredding, i put the sauce back in the slowcooker to reduce for awhile, i just guesstimated how much chicken stock to use instead of using the single cup and didn't think about how much water the chickens and onions themselves would put out. had about as much kick as a raw jalapeno in terms of heat and blending and adding the onion and garlic was definitely a good idea. great if you're like me and love pulled meat tacos, as you can just cook a big batch of this ahead of time.
    Last edited by junkieloser; 4th June 2014 at 4:21 AM.

Being from the Southern United States i'm a bit of a food connoisseur and i thought since this thread was up i'd share my ideas for you guys in the States or abroad about some Southern favorites. I present one of the most well known and popular foods of Louisiana and a staple in the Southern United States: Spinach Madeleine.

Ingredients:

2 packages frozen chopped spinach
    3/4 teaspoon celery salt
    4 tablespoons butter
    3/4 teaspoon garlic salt
    2 tablespoons flour
    Salt to taste
    2 tablespoons chopped onion
    6 ounces Kraft Velveeta
    1/2 cup evaporated milk
    2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh jalapeno peppers
    1/2 cup vegetable liquor
    1/2 teaspoon black pepper
    1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
    Red pepper to taste

Cook spinach according to directions on package. Drain and reserve liquor. Melt butter in saucepan over low heat.

Add flour, stirring until blended and smooth, but not brown. Add onion and cook until soft but not brown. Add liquid slowly, stirring constantly to avoid lumps.

Cook until smooth and thick; continue stirring. Add seasonings, peppers and cheese which has been cut into small pieces. Stir until melted. Combine with cooked spinach.

This may be served immediately or put into a casserole and topped with buttered bread crumbs. The flavor is improved if the latter is done and kept in refrigerator overnight. This may also be frozen.

Serves 5 to 6.

Spinach Madeleine is an extremely versatile dish. It can be served with crackers as an appetizer, as a side dish or even as a main course when stuffed in a tomato!

718/718 Pokemon caught as of 4/13/14
    Pokemon X FC: 2638-0594-6140
    Serebii.net Claims:
    -The Drill Pokemon, Nidoking

I love Chicken Piccatta. Google it.... it's elegant, easy, and so super yummy! Do some rice, or some angel hair pasta, salad. Really nice. I don't have a recipe on me at work.

If we're discounting the lazy toast with butter, cinammon and honey I like to eat for breakfast, I've found after plenty of practice that I can make a wicked fruit smoothie. There's no real measurements or consistent time investment involved; I usually just make it on the fly if I'm suddenly craving a smoothie and have enough fruit.

For example, here's what I chucked in last time:

--frozen blueberries, pineapples, and blackberries
    --Greek yogurt (plain works too)
    --a couple tablespoons of vanilla extract
    --a little bit of cinnamon
    --even less ground ginger
    --ground flax seed, if you want to go extra healthy and help out your digestive system
    --water or milk, to thin the whole monster out if it gets too thick

Basically you just chuck in whatever fruit sounds good at the time, adjust the ingredients to taste, and then blend away! And, weird as it may sound to incorporate spices, I found out it actually REALLY helps to compliment the already sweet taste of the fruit by adding just enough aromatic earthiness to keep it mellow. Shoot, I suppose you could even chuck some honey or ice cream in there if you wanted--that's something I actually haven't tried yet!

Fantasy remains a human right: we make in our measure and in our derivative mode, because we are made: and not only made, but made in the image and likeness of a Maker.
    ~J.R.R. Tolkien

i cook with my eyes so i don't have exact measurements and this is far from traditional, but

simple crockpot beef curry (I cook with my eyes so I'm sorry I don't have exact measurements):

beef chuck roast
    2 cans coconut milk
    beef broth
    thai red chili peppers (known as thai dragon, bird's eye chili, and some other names- if you can't find it, pepper with a scoville rating of 50,000+ will work. or jalapenos or serranos if you don't want it hat hot)
    yellow onions
    curry powder
    garlic powder
    paprika
    salt
    ground cinnamon
    ginger (i use paste but fresh works fine, the powdered stuff is kinda cheap but works okay i guess)

- slice onions into fourths, then peel apart the flesh and lay in the bottom of your crock pot. brown your beef roast in a pan with some canola or similarly neutral tasting oil and lay it on top of the onions.
    - put spices, ginger, and peppers into your blender. add a bit of beef broth to help it mix. puree until completely smooth.
    - pour this mix and your coconut milk into the crockpot. mix. it should just cover the beef roast, if it doesn't add more coconut milk or beef broth.
    - cook on low for 8 hours. shred beef. eat over basmati rice.

I love to make blue berry macarons there just so delicious
    Beauty is Everything
    http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthr...eeding-grounds Come to My Shop :3
    FC:0232-9103-5324 IGN:Chris
    LF: Demo code for super smash bros for 3DS (if you have a extra code PM me)

Last night I tried the Velveta Skillet Helpers. It was the Chicken, Bacon Ranch one. Just add chicken. I added a half of a diced up Tomato. It's like Pasta con Broccolli that is a white sauce with tomatoes. If you like the combination of white sauce and tomatoes you have to try this. Good stuffs
    1 million thanks to Varanus for this Shiny Card.

0963-1007-3370 Y Fc

I don't really know what it's called, but I've been making some kind of smoothie-like drink lately (milk, sugar, fruits, no banana). I've been working with some combinations, and I find that mango is defnitely the best. Strawberry and blueberry isn't too bad, either, but don't do cucumber unless you're into that kind of thing. It tastes like what you'd expect it to, but worse.

If you leave the drink for too long, though, it turns into a weird jello-like consistency with almost-air bubbles on top.

A Cool Recipe For Chicken soup is to make the noodles and put the chicken in, and then ad a big spoon of worstershere sauce to it and stir it for a while.
    ~~POKEMON FOREVER~~

99% of teens like 1 directon... put this in ur sig if you dont (started by blazeing man)
    Click this banner please t read my GREAT COMIC Ash and Jared's Adventures

Name: Flamer
    Adopt one yourself! @Pokémon Orphanage

Name: Ruffruff
    Adopt one yourself! @Pokémon Orphanage

Experience: I've cooked for 14 years or so, I lost count.

I love shrimp. I love most all seafood, actually, but I'll give a grilled shrimp recipe that's incredibly simple.

~Lemons and Limes in an appropriate amount to how many shrimp you're cooking

~Completely peeled and de-veined shrimp (If you wish, you can leave the tail on, but for smaller shrimp, off is the way to go. I prefer 51-60 per pound here)

~Rock salt and freshly ground glack peppercorn (If you want to experiment, you can also use white peppercorn for a little added smoothness)

~1/4th stick of butter for 2 pounds of shrimp, more for large2 batches

After you set out your raw shrimp on preparation plates, you squeeze a generous amount of lemon and lime juice on them. Then, add pepper and salt in a 3:2 ratio, 1:1 if you like it less peppery. Grab a skillet, heat to medium high and add a bit of olive oil. The shrimp only need to be cooked approximately 1.5 minutes per side. Overcooking will make them rubbery. Lemon and Lime naturally will give the shrimp a very sharp flavor. Melt the butter completely and pour it over the grilled shrimp. Toss a bit to ensure even distribution. This will smooth out the flavor a bit and make them more savory.

Made chicken fajitas last night, the spice mixture on the fajitas was really good. Also made some really good rice. Really easy to make too. Just make some white rice and stir in some butter. Then add lime juice, lime zest, and fresh cilantro right before serving. It's really good!

Credit to Sworn Metalhead for the banner

I plan to do this these days.
    I saw this on Jamie Oliver's youtube channel.
    Vegan friendly ice cream (i'm not a vegan btw but this sounds very delicious)

You need:
    Coconut milk
    freezed cherries (or any other berries)
    bananas

First you need to freeze coconut milk. Then you need to slice a couple of bananas and put them in a bag and freeze them too, depending how much ice cream you would like to make.
    After the coconut milk and bananas froze you put all the ingredients in the food processor and process them until you get a ice cream textured mixture.

FC: 2294-4517-3671 (IGN: Alen)
    21.4.2014. National Pokedex completed

Psychic friend safari:

Pokegym League gym badges earned:
    Astral-Shadow and The-Under for the frontier userbar
    and Turpoo for the battle reef userbar
    and Azulart for the gym badges

I picked apples and blackberries today, and made a apple pie. . . which apparently means I'm supposed to make a blackberry pie tomorrow. XD
    We don't have much foil, so I tucked the edges/fluting down on the sides instead. It doesn't look quite as nice, but it doesn't burn and tastes pretty much the same.
    Problematic Paranormal Files

The Gravity Falls Fanclub | My Twitter: @CleverKraken

Today's Fact: Phasmophobia is the fear of Ghost, Spectrophobia is fear of Mirrors.

Would anyone happen to have any recommendations for cooking with black olives?

The past summer I've been experimenting with how to make a "perfect" burger. I've come up with my own personal mixture of seasonings for my own special burger, but I learned a lot of great tips to making a quality burger.

I also experimented with cooking Steak, and it turned out AMAZINGLY. I pre seasoned the meat with a good amount of salt (to draw the moisture and tenderize the meat) along with light pepper, onion powder, light garlic salt, light oregano, and ground cumin. I also seeped the meat in apple cider vinegar to further tenderize the meat as well as giving a bit of flare to flavor. After I initially started cooking the meat the next day (it was stored overnight), I then boiled garlic and proceeded to peel and cook the cloves separately. I also caramelized some chopped onion and mixed it in as well. Topped the steak with the mixture with a bit of A1 steak sauce...PERFECTION.
    IGN: Reavis FC: 1005-9620-0912 (Y) Friend Safari: (Grass): Pansage, Swadloon, Gogoat
    Come try your hand at winning the Lucky badge at PokeGyms!!!

Spoiler:- Credits:

Black olives are just great on their own, or on Mexican, Mediterranean, and Italian food (in spaghetti). You can also make mock caviar (basically chopped olives) if you're into playing high society.

Bronies, it's apple bucking season:
    Picked 3 buckets of apples today, seeded and simmered them, pureed them, and I'm now slow cooking the puree with sugar, cinnamon, and other spices. At the end I should have a few jars worth of apple butter (but it already tastes soooo good).

I still have another bucket of apples already picked, plus more on the trees (we had a good crop this year). I've already made apple pie, apple-berry tarts, honey baked apples, and now I'm making apple butter... what do I do with the rest?

Today's Fact: Phasmophobia is the fear of Ghost, Spectrophobia is fear of Mirrors.

Quote Originally Posted by VampirateMace View Post
    Black olives are just great on their own, or on Mexican, Mediterranean, and Italian food (in spaghetti). You can also make mock caviar (basically chopped olives) if you're into playing high society.

Bronies, it's apple bucking season:
    Picked 3 buckets of apples today, seeded and simmered them, pureed them, and I'm now slow cooking the puree with sugar, cinnamon, and other spices. At the end I should have a few jars worth of apple butter (but it already tastes soooo good).

I still have another bucket of apples already picked, plus more on the trees (we had a good crop this year). I've already made apple pie, apple-berry tarts, honey baked apples, and now I'm making apple butter... what do I do with the rest?
    Whoa! I just saw this replay, thanks for the helpful advice! I didn't want our black olives to go to waste but these are some fine ideas I'm going to try out soon.

I've never had apple butter before...what's it like?

You could try making apple jam or apple sauce with the remaining apples, if you still have any leftovers I mean.
    IGN: Reavis FC: 1005-9620-0912 (Y) Friend Safari: (Grass): Pansage, Swadloon, Gogoat
    Come try your hand at winning the Lucky badge at PokeGyms!!!

Spoiler:- Credits:

It's basically concentrated applesauce, so it's like a better version of apple jam.

It's time make plum-jam here soon too. Then come the grapes... which I usually just juice, and we can drink that or turn it into jam.

Anyone got any favorite food-hacks or short-cut recipes?
    We like to make nachos using a can of chili instead of browning meat and heating the beans.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast