Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Cooking Ideas!

I love cooking for other people, but I get very lazy for myself

I grew up with French and Polish food, so that's usually where I dip from. More often French though. Aside from those, I love making custard ice creams and desserts when I can get fancy.

Recently I made a dinner for my friend and her husband as a thank-you; they are eating healthy, so I made them something very simple yet tasty with quinoa. That stuff rocks!

For starters, I made a ladolemono sauce. It's pretty much just a Greek vinaigrette with lemon juice, olive oil, salt+pepper, and oregano. Fresh is best! You can adjust it how you like though.
    For the quinoa, I sauteed garlic and finely minced onion in a bit of olive oil then added chicken stock as the cooking liquid. After cooking the quinoa, I tossed it with the sauce.
    I blanched broccoli (I like it crispy!) and drizzled it too with the sauce, and that went on the bottom. Add a scoop of the quinoa.
    I then had shell-on shrimp, and sautéed it in what may or may not have been a little butter and white wine ahem. But regardless it was healthy right! A few shrimp on the top, and voila! Pretty, delicious, and healthy. Give some of the ladolemono as a dipping sauce and you're good to go!

I was really excited on New Years; I made a cinnamon vanilla (tastes almost like rice pudding) ice cream, and served it over sliced pear cooked in white wine. Ho man! It makes me all excited and jittery to talk about cooking!
    Normal type Friend Safari with Dunsparce, Kecleon, and Ditto!
    3DS FC: 5026 5365 7766
    Seeking a Chansey safari

I really like to cook. I'm pretty good at baking, but today there was a problem... I knew my mom wanted me to make her these specific chocolate chip cookies (I call 'em ghost cookies, since there's no brown sugar, so they come out pale... making them with white chocolate would really complete the effect), so I got out all the ingredients, mix them, formed cookies, put the first pan in the oven. 10 mins later, they weren't cooked. The oven element blew. So, I decided I'd try frying a few, sounds decedent... no, just no. So, now I have a bunch of ready to cook cookies in the freezer.

I like to make twice baked potatoes, put one small potato per person in the oven at 400F, and bake for an hour while you brown some sausage or hamburger, onions, bell peppers, and/or garlic. Then take the potatoes out and carefully cut the tops off, and hallow them out with a spoon. (You may want to hold the potatoes with an oven mitt.) Then mash up the tops and insides of the potatoes with the meat/veggies, 1/2 to 1 cup cheese, and 1 or 2 big spoons of sour cream (based on 3 - 4 potatoes). Then scoop the mixture back into the potatoe shells, top with cheese and italian herbs if you like, and bake another 20-30 mins. Takes a while, but taste is worth it.

On the previous page someone mentioned omlette rice (as Omurice), a third option is to mix the rice into the egg before cooking. It comes out fluffy and like you have twice as many eggs, but certainly benifiting from sauce.
    Blog: Problematic Paranormal Files | Twitter: @CleverKraken

(Psssssttt... hey, you, yah you, HOLIDAYS2014 - gets you 10% off $15+ in my shop ^ )

Merry Christmas, Happy Chanukah, and/or Joyous Kwanzaa!
    (Or whatever else you may celebrate.)

That Omurice sounds amazing. Must try it.
    One day I made scrambled eggs and added ketchup and saw the mayo. Got curious and put some on as well. I loved it! Raised my moms eyebrow, but i loved it! Lol.

My friend and I are planning on making my favorite soup from Olive Garden. Zuppa Toscana.
    Black: 3482-2112-2585
    Soul Silver:4297 5993 0464
    Platinum:2965 4525 0763
    My shiny pokemon:
    Encountered in FR as a Geodude
    Encountered in Diamond as a Lv.4 Shinx

I claim Latias

I HOPE THERES A MEGA LATIAS!

I've once made muffins where I grated apples into the mix, and then in the end put icing sugar, it turned out great
    I have claimed

Quote Originally Posted by VampirateMace View Post
    So I got out all the ingredients, mix them, formed cookies, put the first pan in the oven. 10 mins later, they weren't cooked. The oven element blew. So, I decided I'd try frying a few, sounds decedent... no, just no. So, now I have a bunch of ready to cook cookies in the freezer.
    Hahahaha, that reminds me of this one time when I was also trying to make chocolate chip cookies (except these also had oatmeal in them). I was almost done with the dough and turned on the oven to pre-heat it. Five minutes later, I smelled burning plastic and saw a tendril of smoke rise from the oven. Seconds later, the smoke alarm went off, and I opened all the doors and turned fans on. Turns out my mom had been storing tupperware, medicine bottles, and other such things in the oven due to space limitations. When I opened the oven, I found a bunch of melted plastic at the bottom. My mom came home minutes after that, but fortunately she wasn't mad at me, as it was mostly useless junk in there. She did laugh at the plastic mess and call it a "sculpture" though, and even took a picture of it and told a couple of other people about it. Meanwhile, I was forced to stick the dough in the refrigerator until the oven was cleaned up.

Anyway, there's this one dish I really like to make that actually originated from my parents being typical broke college students and trying to make stuff with the cheapest ingredients possible. It's a soup made with hot dogs, potatoes, carrots, onions, a couple of spices, canned corn, and milk. Despite the odd ingredients, it has really good flavour, especially with the sweetness of the corn juice.

Also, for the longest time I did not like eggplant, but now it's perhaps my favourite vegetable to cook. I cook it one of two ways: for one, I stir-fry it a bit with sesame oil, garlic, and sliced mushrooms, then add a little water and soy sauce and steam it. For the other, I make eggplant parmesan, except in a rather unconventional way, in that I don't bread the eggplant (dredging it in flour before pan-frying it hardly counts). I think it's actually better this way, as the flavour emphasis then goes more into the cheese and the eggplant itself, as well as the basil added to it. For the cheese, in addition to parmesan, I also use mozzarella, but it has to be the fresh kind that comes in a ball, not the pre-shredded stuff (the former tastes better). One important trick with eggplant though is to salt it beforehand to take away any bitterness - that is, slice it up, sprinkle salt on the slices, and stick it in a colander in the sink for about an hour.

Sometimes I experiment with cooking, and sometimes it come out way better than expected, and sometimes it's an inedible abomination. Most times when I've experimented it was the former, but there was one incident a few months ago where I tried to replicate a risotto dish with figs that I had in an Italian restaurant. The two biggest mistakes I made were using brown rice (which ended up way too chewy, despite the fact that I cooked it a really long time) and using black figs and too many of them (they created this overpowering sweet-bitter flavour). It ended up so awful I couldn't eat more than a bite of it at a time. But on the flip side, last week I tried out this recipe for crab cakes, only there were two ingredients I didn't have: crab meat and mayonnaise. For the former I merely substituted it with shrimp; for the latter, I actually made my own mayonnaise by rapidly whisking egg, oil, mustard, and vinegar together. It turned out a lot better than I expected; in fact, the shrimp provided a better flavour than the crab would have.

Another really good experimental result of mine was a batch of apple cider I made this past fall. I used unfiltered apple juice, which tastes more like an actual apple than most apple juices (it's light yellow and opaque rather than golden and transparent). In addition, I sliced up an apple (a granny smith one, as I wanted more tartness) and put it through a food processor. I heated the apple juice in a pot over low heat, along with the apple pulp and some mulling spices. As I was also about to carve a small pumpkin for Halloween, I added the pulp from it to the cider as well. I also added some vanilla and powdered nutmeg. It turned out to be the best apple cider I had ever tasted, just the perfect blend of sweet and tart. It didn't even require any sugar (even the apple juice I used had no sugar added)!

EDIT:
    Quote Originally Posted by OnceUponATime
    Am I the only one here that goes crazy for pumpkin everything!? Haha, I used this recipe a little while back and it's AMAZING. It's not a super sweet brownie, though, if that's what you're looking for. It's more rich and dense.
    No, you're not the only one! I'm that way too (as evidenced by the fact that I added pumpkin to the apple cider I made above)! Pumpkin bread, pumpkin cheesecake, pumpkin spice lattes, pumpkin tea (yes, it exists, and it's delicious, especially with milk)... Pumpkin cream cheese muffins are also really good. The exception is the ever-famous pumpkin pie, oddly enough, for I've had too many pumpkin pies that were bland or too sweet or spicy.
    Last edited by Kiruria; 11th March 2014 at 11:15 AM.

I have claimed Celestia Ludenberg from Dangan Ronpa. --My Updated RPer profile--

RPG's I'm in now: Uhh, none besides the one below.
    Current RPG Project: Earthbound: The Rainbow Omen (Sign-ups) (RPG thread) (Discussion)

Good thing your oven mishap didn’t turn into a fire. My dad fixed the oven, I was going to do it… so, I’m gonna make cookies a little later.

That soup sounds pretty good, everything but hotdogs is pretty standard soup ingredients.

That’s how I make eggplant parmesan too, except I’ve never had a problem with it being too bitter. Vegetables tend to get less bitter as you cook them though, so maybe I just cook mine longer. Which is why I can stand cooked tomatoes but refuse to eat them raw outside of salsa.

Learning what you can swap in cooking is one of the best skills to acquire. If you’re short on eggs when baking, a couple spoons of water and oil can make up the difference; you won’t get quite as much rise, but the cake/muffins will still come out good.

I love pumpkin/kabocha, you can get a pots of stew and a batch of cookies from one squash. Pumpkin guts in cider though? There’s a reason most people don’t eat that part.

(Psssssttt... hey, you, yah you, HOLIDAYS2014 - gets you 10% off $15+ in my shop ^ )

Well I was going to suggest a tomato bruschetta but you said no oven. Hmmm. If you had some chicken or beef you could make kabobs. And if you don't have skewers you could always make a stir-fry with those. Did anyone suggest these yet? If so, my bad. :]
    All I ask for is 100% pure honesty from my trading partner. Whether it be cloned or hacked is of no offense to me. I also may include a request for an item. A rule that will constantly stand is if my shiny is Kalos native but yours isn't, you may have to up the offer.

As for what I like to cook. I love foods that are simple and easy. Pasta is one of my favorite things to experiment with by coming up with different combinations for sauces and ingredients

@ all the meat lovers:
    I have a small chicken and a pound of bacon (streaky bacon for those of you in the UK), want to guess what's going to happen next?

So my Best Friends B-Day is coming up and I want to make her some Macarons. (Pastry)
    Does anyone have a recipe for it? Or anyway to make it "better"?
    "I missed you too, Calcifer."
    PASBL
    ||Guild||Tumblr||League||Pathfinder

Umm, I've never made them, but the recipe I have is:
    3 egg whites
    1/4 tsp cream of tartar
    1/8 tsp salt
    3/4 cup sugar
    1/4 tsp almond extract
    3 drops food coloring
    2 cups flaked coconut
    12 candied cherries (fourthed)

In small bowl: mix eggs, tartar, and salt til foamy, mix in sugar (1 tbsp at a time) until stiff an glossy (don't overbeat), pour into larger bowl, fold in the rest of ingredients (except cherries). Drop by tsp onto aluminum foil 1 inch apart, and top each with a cherry piece. Bake at 300 for 20-25 min, edges should be light brown.

This isn't really cooking but mix a packet of Kool aid with 2/3 cups water to make cheap and easy easter egg dye
    My Friend Codes
    2DS: Strytho 4699-6673-2575
    Pokemon Y Trainer Name: Krayt
    Pokemon Alpha Sapphire Trainer Name: Burai

Friend Safari:
    Ground: Marowak, Trapinch, Palpitoad.

click the link for my HA female spreadsheet.
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...rive_web#gid=0

Click here for a list of pokemon I have in special balls (AKA bank ball pokemon).
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...rive_web#gid=0

Click here for a list of pokemon I am currently looking for.
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...twQ/edit#gid=0

Easter egg dye it pretty cheap and easy to start with though. The commercial stuff is like 1-2 bucks, and cool-aids like 50c so, you get 5 colors for 2 bucks instead of 4 with cool-aid. Or you could always go traditional and use plant based dyes like onion skins and beet juice.

I use Carrot Juice/green onion ends. Allows my eggs to achieve a nice glazed orange colour.
    ~Currently own all gen 6 games, Old-school DS: (4597-0364-2569) New-school/Battlin' DS: (4055-5677-3071), current 6th gen UU record: 56W/0L/4D
    NXT fan, non-OU tier supporter, speed-breeder, and steam enthusiast.
        Spoiler:- Current Gen 6 shinies:

I sister made Banana Pankcades , and they were awsome <3
    I would suggest trying this, i have no idea how she made them, but she told me she was making them, i tried them, and they tasted like banana pancakes <3
    Bug-Type Represent !

Buh? I thought I posted here before.

I can cook, but had to drastically cut back because I'm rarely at home these days.

Easter Dinner

Brown Sugar Ham - I paid the extra $10 for the spiral sliced ham. Smothered it in a paste of Brown Sugar and Dijon Mustard and filled the bottom with cherry soda so it'd steam in the oven and keep the ham moist. Baked for one hour until hot, then basted with a sauce made of the pan drippings and any remaining mustard paste.

Roasted Sweet Potato - I had Sweet Potato Fries the other day and was inspired to do this savory. I peeled four sweet potatoes and cut them in half so I could boil them for 30 minutes. This makes them much easier to cut. After that I drained and cooled them, sliced them into thick slices that were cut in half (half moons), and tossed them in a mix of salt, pepper, garlic, Italian seasoning, and olive oil. They were baked on parchment lined cookie sheet at 375 for 40 minutes; tossing them once at the 20 minute mark.

Hot Spinach Salad with Bacon and Feta - A combination of two salads I was going to make. Take half a pack (about five slices) of bacon and roughly chop it. Add it to a pan on medium. When the bacon starts to turn translucent add a small red onion that's been cut in half and thinly sliced along the grain. Cook until the onion's softened and the bacon is crispy. Add two tablespoons minced garlic and stir until you can smell the garlic cooking. Add one 16 ounce package frozen spinach that's been thawed. Toss to combine. Mix one teaspoon red wine (or another) vinegar with two tablespoons Dijon mustard. Add to the spinach and continue cooking until the spinach is heated through. Finish with a tablespoon of butter and half a small tub of Feta Cheese crumbles. Toss until the butter is melted and the cheese has slightly melted.

Lemonade Cheesecake Cupcakes - I modified a recipe I found online. Crush 1 packet Graham Crackers. I just put them in a bowl, put on a glove, and take about thirty minutes crushing out my frustration. Combine with three and a half tablespoons melted butter. Place a heaped (meaning don't level it) tablespoon in the bottom of each muffin cup. Make sure to press it in.

Add 3/4 cup sugar to two bricks of softened cream cheese. Mix with an electric hand mixture (unless you like pain and wish to do it by hand). Add two eggs, one at a time, and mix until just combined. Add one 8 ounce package sour cream, one tablespoon vanilla extract, and the juice of half a lemon. Mix until the batter is thick and fluffy. Normally takes about 3 minutes at the highest speed.

Add a heaped tablespoon and a half to each muffin cup. I recommend adding a tablespoon to each tin and then topping it off. The tins should be 80/90% full since this won't rise much. Bake in a preheated (350) oven for 20 minutes. It won't be brown, but the filling should be set and jiggle only slightly when the pan is moved. Refrigerate for about 2 hours before serving.

Buttermilk Biscuits - ... because one baking item from scratch is my upper limit for any given day.

I have a pretty simple recipe for a unique spin on mashed potatoes:

You need 5 potatoes, 2-3 yams, 2 beets (optional), 1/2 onion, some garlic, 1-2 regular spoon scoops of honey greek yogurt, some milk to fluff, 1/4 stick of butter, salt, pepper, and chili powder.
    - Boil the root vegetables while caramelizing the onion and garlic.
    - Drain and mash the root vegetables
    - Add in the milk, yogurt, butter
    - After caramelizing the onions and garlic, mix that into the mash
    - Add in salt, pepper, and chili powder to taste

You end up getting a sweet, yet smokey mash root vegetables. Made totally by accident one time, and now I probably won't go back.

Curator of Pokémon Fractals: Making fractal backgrounds of your favorite Pokémon
    3DS FC: 3523-3464-8565
    Trainer & 3DS Name: Elliott

Quote Originally Posted by Celestial Moth View Post
    I sister made Banana Pankcades , and they were awsome <3
    I would suggest trying this, i have no idea how she made them, but she told me she was making them, i tried them, and they tasted like banana pancakes <3
    I know of two ways to do this. You can add a mashed (or sliced) banana to any standard pancake recipe, or you can mash up a banana (or two) and mix it with an egg or two, then fry that like you would a pancake. It takes a little more oil/butter, and tastes a bit more like banana flavored japanese omelete than pancakes, but it tastes pretty good warm, and rather good cold. And it's gluten free.

Edit:
    So then, what does everyone do their left over Easter eggs? (if you don’t celebrate Easter you can still share your favorite way to eat hard-boiled eggs) Do you just eat them as cold boiled eggs, make egg salad, deviled eggs, potato salad, or chop them up for use on regular (lettuce/spinach) salad or aspargus (for mimosa)?
    Last edited by VampirateMace; 21st April 2014 at 7:49 PM.

So then, what does everyone do their left over Easter eggs? (if you don’t celebrate Easter you can still share your favorite way to eat hard-boiled eggs) Do you just eat them as cold boiled eggs, make egg salad, deviled eggs, potato salad, or chop them up for use on regular (lettuce/spinach) salad or aspargus (for mimosa)?
    Wait, do you guys eat eggs, literally, on that day?
    We just eat chocolate "eggs" and do our common barbecue, Churrasco, or fish, if a family is way too religious to eat any meat.

We dye boiled eggs on Easter (or the day before), then let my nephew hunt for them, and give some of them away to older relatives who don't dye eggs, but there's always some left and we generally start eating them the next day.

I know fish has traditionally been an exception to the no meat rule (and some rich Victorian Era, Friday meals included fake rump roasts made of layers of fish flesh), but as far as I'm concerned, fish is meat.
    Last edited by VampirateMace; 21st April 2014 at 8:06 PM.

We dye boiled eggs on Easter (or the day before), then let my nephew hunt for them, and give some of them away to older relatives who don't dye eggs, but there's always some left and we generally start eating them the next day.
    Oh... So much new information for me, haha! I see, then.

I know fish has traditionally been an exception to the no meat rule (and some rich Victorian Era, Friday meals included fake rump roasts made of layers of fish flesh), but as far as I'm concerned, fish is meat.
    Usually, in culinary, we define seafood as a totally different type of meat, since red meat is tasty, way different. But it is, indeed, meat. But like white meat, is it often treated way differently.
    And, since most chefs abides with the majority of population regarding those beliefs, I most often don't take seafood as meat even though I'm an atheist.
    But it is meat indeed, haha! Just is not any equal in taste to white and red meat.

I have decided to try making homemade portabello mushroom ravioli over the summer. This'll be an interesting project for sure.

Credit to Sworn Metalhead for the banner

Traditionally it's always been egg salad for my family, but I'm not too fond of egg salad, so I recently abandoned that tradition. I think my new tradition will be deviled eggs, as I love those, and they're really easy to make and have lots of potential variations depending on the spices you add to the yolk mixture. Mayonnaise and mustard are pretty much required to make them, but lately I've also been adding paprika, cayenne pepper, and crushed garlic as well (these are the exact same spices I use when cooking eggs omelet-style for breakfast), and using Dijon mustard in place of regular mustard (or sometimes half and half). At this point I honestly believe that eggs and paprika are a match made in heaven; they always taste so good together.

I have claimed Celestia Ludenberg from Dangan Ronpa. --My Updated RPer profile--

RPG's I'm in now: Uhh, none besides the one below.
    Current RPG Project: Earthbound: The Rainbow Omen (Sign-ups) (RPG thread) (Discussion)

Well assuming you get the good paprika, I thought I didn't like it until I learned that... also, that made me remember, I've seen recipes for deviled eggs that call for smoked salmon and/or roe to be added, and ones that suggest avocado.

I love making Eggs Benedict for breakfast. for a quick lunch or dinner my favorite is pasta, I just throw in some canned tomatoes, seasoning and basil leaves then top it with Parmesan cheese.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast