Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Reputation is back!

Default Reputation is back!

Hello members of SPPf!

Some of you older members may remember that we used to have a reputation systems with posts. It was turned off 8 years ago, right after I personally had just joined SPPf (wow does time fly!), and we all decided it's time to give it another try.

Since the majority of you were not here when rep was first enabled, and many things have changed since then, I will show you how it works.

At the bottom of every post except ones made by your own account, there is a little star next to the report button. Click that and it will let you leave reputation:

(Note that all of these screenshots were taken using a trial vB software with different options than SPPf, so some things may appear different, such as blog options. However, the majority of things will be the same and it should be enough to demonstrate for people.)

After that, you simply choose whether you approve (positive rep) or disapprove (negative rep) of the post, type a comment for why you are leaving it, and then it's left!

On the receiving user's end, they will first get a notification that they have a new reputation comment. That will then take them to the main page of their UserCP (viewable by clicking Settings in the upper right corner at any time), and they will be able to see what reputation (and comments) they have:

At the top of your rep points, you will see how many points you have. The default is 10, and as you receive more rep it will change. If you dip below 0 rep, it goes negative, and you can still give rep but it will not affect another user's points. If you get a very high rep, your rep given to other users will influence their score more than if a user with a lower score gave them rep. Every 50 points of reputation gives you one point of rep power (which starts at 1). The amount of positive rep you give to another person is equal to your rep power, but the amount of negative rep you give to another person is your rep power divided in half (rounded up). So for example, if john has 100 rep points he has 3 rep power. If he pozzes jake he gives jake 3 rep points, and if he negs jake he takes away 2 rep points.

You can't see another person's exact rep score (unless you are staff), but you can get a rough approximation of others' rep. Underneath everyone's userbar, there is at least one square. Everyone starts out with a green square, as they are in the positive. If you get more positive rep, you will get more green squares as your rep grows. If your rep turns negative, your square will turn red and you will get more red squares if you get a lot of negative rep. If you have rep display turned off, your square will turn grey.

Also worth noting, something different from last time is that you will not be able to see who gave you rep. This is to cut down on some of the drama and hurt feelings that may happen. Moderators can still see who gave you a rep comment, so if someone is abusing the system, you may still report it to us and we will be able to give proper punishment. Also note that all staff can see which user left the comment when they receive a rep comment, so don't give mods negative rep just for being mods.

RULES FOR REPUTATION

Do not try to abuse the system. This includes, but is not limited to:
    -Asking people to leave you rep comments in your posts/signature/VMs/PMs/etc
    -Offering to "trade" positive rep with users, i.e. I poz you and then you poz me back
    -Offering pozzes/threatening negs in exchange for votes in a thread or anything else
    -Asking people to boost/brigade a certain user
    -Using negs as a way of flaming people or writing rude messages in comments

Do not complain or brag about rep you have received. If something is actually abusive, report it to a moderator, preferably one of the section that you received the rep, but any active moderator can investigate the matter. However, please keep in mind that not all negative reputation is necessarily flaming or abusive. A reputation comment like "I really didn't think your post brought good evidence, you should try to use better sources" is a far different comment than "u stoopid noob go die."

Don't like it? Turn it off.
    If you wish to not participate in using rep, everyone has the option to turn off the display of your own reputation. Just look around in your user settings. You can still get rep, but your rep icon will be replaced with a single grey square and no one can see what your true amount of rep points are.

FAQ

Q: I'm a veteran user and I had a bunch of rep points last time it was active, but I only have 10 now. What happened?
    A: To start everyone off on equal footing, and correct for past abuses, I have manually gone through everyone who used rep last time and reset us all to 10 (yep I have a headache from staring at the screen for so long ). Also, this time around all staff, except for Serebii who is not going to use the rep system, start off at the same 10 as everyone else, so the same issue with a few people having a billion points and having a chain reaction massively changing people's reps will not happen again. If you happen to notice anyone that I did not change back to 10, please let me know ASAP so I can fix it.

Q: Last time join date and postcount allowed you to give more rep. Does it still?
    A: No. We felt that allowing an old join date or a high postcount to affect your rep giving ability was unfair since we have always said those things don't matter, so you will not gain a boost for those anymore. The only thing that matters is having at least 10 posts to use rep, to prevent new accounts from being made to poz/neg people unfairly.

Q: It's not letting me give rep to someone anymore. What happened?
    A: We have a limit in place that you can only rep 10 people per day and you must rep 20 people in order to rep the same person again. So for example, if Kreis gives Kirby a positive rep on one of her posts, he must rep 20 new people and then he will be able to rep Kirby again if he wishes. However, since he can only rep 10 people per day, it will take him at least 2 days and lots of rep-giving to give her more. This is to prevent abuse of the system and trying to artificially raise or lower someone's score because you like/don't like them.

Q: Someone gave me a rep but it's a grey square instead of a red or green square. Why?
    A: That means it didn't affect your score. People who have a negative overall score or have lower than 10 posts can still give rep, but their comments will not affect score.

Q: Someone left me a mean rep!! What do I do?
    A: First evaluate if it actually broke the rules. A negative rep in itself does not constitute rule-breaking, otherwise we wouldn't have the option. If it is flaming, trolling, or otherwise breaking the rules, report it to a staff member and we will decide what to do. Please send it to a regular mod (red name) first so they can determine if anything should be done, rather than directly to an admin, because we have a lot more to deal with. Also note that while it only displays the last 50 comments you have received in your user CP, mods have a record of every rep comment ever given, so we will be able to find it if it drops off.

Q: How do I know if I should report a rep comment or not?
    A: There have been a LOT of reported comments that do not actually break the rules. Here is when NOT to report:
    1. Someone doesn't like your post.
    2. You broke the rules and someone negged you for it and/or politely disagrees.
    Here is when TO report:
    1. The message left was spam/nonsense/not related to the post
    2. The message was breaking one of the SPPf Rules. That includes flaming, swearing, advertising, etc.

Obviously this doesn't cover everything but it covers the majority of the cases I have received. Remember that reputation is meant to be a reflection on your posting, and if you are constantly getting negs for the same thing, you should look into the way you post.

Q: It says rep is anonymous, but are we allowed to leave our name if we wish?
    A: Yes, however 1. you may not use it as rep trading (i.e. I pozzed you now poz me back) 2. you may not make it look like someone else gave rep by signing a different name than your own. If you receive an abusive rep from someone with a name signed, please contact a staff member first before confronting them, because people have already been impersonating others to try and make them look bad.

Q: How does the message that displays when you mouse over someone's rep bar change?
    A: The message changes depending on how many reputation points someone has. Here are all the messages and point values:
        Spoiler:- ::

If you have any constructive suggestions for rep please post in the SPPF Suggestion Thread under Serebii.Net discussion, but be sure they are useful and not "I hate rep get rid of it."
    Last edited by bobandbill; 20th May 2014 at 12:51 AM.

be sure to read the rules of every section before posting ;)

Little Miss Stalinist/Secret Al-Qaeda agents (i.e. Ellie) would be a ***** even if she was a conserative republican. What makes her the way she is happens to be the fact that the webmaster of this site let's her behave like this. (Of course, I would never make a liberal a staff member at any forum I'd be in charge of, regardless.)

This is pretty cool, thanks Ellie.
    B)
    [23:47] <kesha> PENNSATUCKY PLEASE CURE ME OF THESE UNCLEAN THOUGHTS

pm me any reports/questions that you may have
    (it may take a couple of days for me to respond, though)

Awesome! I've always wanted something like this!

*Goes to add positive rep to fave fanfics*

Thanks a ton!

And I assume the little thingy under the user rank bar shows whether you have positive or negative rep, am I right?

So are we the only ones who can see our individual rep score? And similarly, we're restricted from seeing how many reps other people have got?

EDIT: Although I'm guessing that the little green bar underneath our userbars is an indication of this, right?

Ah, nice, I've been looking forward to something similar to this. Thanks a bunch!

yes apparently i forgot to add that to the main post, i will do that now

under your userbar is a rough showing of your rep. you start with one green square and get more as your rep grows. if you go into negative it turns red and you get more red squares for more negative rep. if you hover over your square(s) with a mouse it will also show a message that changes as your rep grows/shrinks

Little Miss Stalinist/Secret Al-Qaeda agents (i.e. Ellie) would be a ***** even if she was a conserative republican. What makes her the way she is happens to be the fact that the webmaster of this site let's her behave like this. (Of course, I would never make a liberal a staff member at any forum I'd be in charge of, regardless.)

Oh great, now I'll have something else that shrinks.

Thank you very much Ellie for this new option ^-^
    You sometimes see this at some forums and I'm happy to see it here too.

And will the rules be added to the Serebiiforums rules?

At the moment number 10 in double battles of the Netherlands.

they were added as soon as i posted this and there is a new infraction for it as well in case abuse ends up happening

I was puzzled when I saw I was on the road to Viridian City. I KNEW the Announcements must have a new thread about this... and I was correct.

So now we can support the posts we agree to. Sound nice, indeed.

I have officially claimed Mew (Pokemon), Poo (EarthBound) and EarthBound itself.

Okay
    and will we have that message pop up above the iste too?
    Like the message we got when the site got hacked.
    And the message we got when people were getting too many infractions of spamming with the Mega Evolution thing.

Will that maybe happen?

Quote Originally Posted by Kreis View Post
    Oh great, now I'll have something else that shrinks.

Lol.

This looks like a great addition

Wild Future ~ Tyrone Walpole
    Credit
    I have claimed the Almighty Charizard.

@Bariokie:
    Uhh, not really sure what you're trying to say. You mean like getting a personal notification or an e-mail? If you mean a personal notification on the forums, then yeah. Well, at least for mods, we get a notification here on the forums. I think you should too. I don't think you'll get an e-mail about it, if that's what you're asking.

This is excellent! I always wanted something like this! Thank you, everyone behind this!
    Quote Originally Posted by DX 2401PT View Post
    Groudon: "Hey, hey, hey, hey, HEY! Stop tearing apart the land that I JUST created! What's wrong with you?!"
    Regigigas: "I'LL DO WHAT I WANT!"

I thought the mods/admins were playing a prank on us by having everyone go on the road to Viridian City and meet new friends along the way. I never heard of this before even in passing, so it sounds interesting. I can tell you thought hard about all of this to see if you could catch and erase loopholes, so I can actually see this little feature staying, but if it leaves after the trial month or two, I'm not gonna complain.

So thanks for bringing back a little piece of nostalgia, even if the majority of us won't truly understand it x3. (Though I've personally always wondered what the forums were like back in the day.)
    Winner of Best Pokémon/Pokémon Fic of 2013 in the Shipping Oscars
    Current Chapter: Chapter Ten - 3/17/14 / Current: Last Chance - 11/3/11 - Chapter 20 progress: 75%
    I survived Pupa.

No Kreis

What I'd like to see is this:

This thing that you see when you scroll up and see above the page.

Oh, yeah, I don't think you'll be getting one of those. You will, however, get a notification under your "Notifications" tab, just like you would when you get a PM/VM/Friend request.

Didn't get one tough.
    Never got one but I only got the notification that I just showed...

you get a notification, and i made an announcement that shows up at the top of every section telling people rep is back and to look at this thread. we can't make it so it shows up like that every time you get one, but most people check their notifications while they browse anyway

@Bariokie:
    That just means that no one has giving you a positive/negative reputation. Once someone gives you rep, you'll get a notification about it.

Hmm, sounds cool. Do you have to leave a comment when you give someone rep?

Credit to Ayra for the profile pic.
    ASB squad- http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthr...0#post16972170
    I have claimed Kabutops, destroyer of all! Fear me or perish!

negative yes, positive no. that's the way it was set up last time and i didnt see a reason to change it. it will also help prevent people giving negs as a form of flaming since you have to give SOME reason and therefore must think of a good one that isn't flaming/trolling

Quote Originally Posted by Ellie View Post
    you get a notification, and i made an announcement that shows up at the top of every section telling people rep is back and to look at this thread. we can't make it so it shows up like that every time you get one, but most people check their notifications while they browse anyway
    Thank you Ellie
    I didn't see it yet tough but it sums up my question (:

Also I can't see my reputation points?

if you click settings in the upper right corner it will take you to the main page of your user cp. if you don't have any rep comments yet it may not show up, but then you will have 10 points because everyone starts at 10

Quote Originally Posted by Bariokie View Post
    Thank you Ellie
    I didn't see it yet tough but it sums up my question (:

Also I can't see my reputation points?
    Go to "Settings" and you'll see them.

Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast