Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Reputation is back!

I was on an another forum which used to have the rep system and all it did was cause much whining and complaining.

I'm hoping it will work better here.

Credits to Sworn Metalhead for the awesome banner!

Well, there's always people whining. We did a few tweeks, so hopefully it won't be as bad this time around.
    [23:47] <kesha> PENNSATUCKY PLEASE CURE ME OF THESE UNCLEAN THOUGHTS

pm me any reports/questions that you may have
    (it may take a couple of days for me to respond, though)

What about the option to turn it off.
    Some people just hate other people so they might wanna turn it off?

At the moment number 10 in double battles of the Netherlands.

If you go to "General Settings" under your user CP, you can turn off your display of reputation level (currently the little green card under your user rank) so others won't see it. You can't disable reputation itself, however, so people will still be able to give you positive or negative reputation. The only difference will be that no one will see your current reputation level.

I have a question. Isn't VBulletin capable of the Like system too, right? Wouldn't the Like system essentially be the same as Reputation and even gives post wise Likes too? So, why not implement that instead?

(I am guessing it adds more burden to the server. But hey, I would like to hear that from the experts )

<--My tumblr
    Quote Originally Posted by EmphaticPikachu
    DRACO NO STOP. DRACO DOWN. DRACO NO FLIRTING WITH ME.
    Quote Originally Posted by Noodlerama

FF.Net profile: Here!!
    \

Yay? Will this count towards rank?

Join TheBlindXatu Forums!

http://theblindxatu.forumotion.com/

My Teams:
    Sinnoh:
    Sinnoh (2):
    Sinnoh (3):
    Kanto:
    Hoenn:
    Hoenn (2):
    Hoenn (3):
    Johto:
    Johto (2):

Quote Originally Posted by Dracoflare View Post
    I have a question. Isn't VBulletin capable of the Like system too, right? Wouldn't the Like system essentially be the same as Reputation and even gives post wise Likes too? So, why not implement that instead?

(I am guessing it adds more burden to the server. But hey, I would like to hear that from the experts )
    An admin would have to answer that, but IIRC, a "like" option on VBulletin would require a hack, and Joe doesn't do hacks.

Quote Originally Posted by Cutiepuffle View Post
    What do you mean?

Is it disabled in XY discussion or something? I can't see the little star thing.

Your user rank (if that's what you mean) is affected by post count, rep won't have anything to do with it.

I just noticed that too. I just told Ellie about it, so she'll get around to it as soon as she's near her computer.

Quote Originally Posted by Cutiepuffle View Post
    No. Your rank is determined by your quantity of posts, not their quality.

fixed. if there's any others let me know, we have 200 subforums (not all are active or visible to other users ) so i really don't want to go through everything if most appear to be working fine

also "like" i believe is a hack. i haven't seen any options for a like system in the acp while poking around, but i could have missed it, so i could be wrong. if it is in fact a hack, we will most likely not do it.

be sure to read the rules of every section before posting ;)

Little Miss Stalinist/Secret Al-Qaeda agents (i.e. Ellie) would be a ***** even if she was a conserative republican. What makes her the way she is happens to be the fact that the webmaster of this site let's her behave like this. (Of course, I would never make a liberal a staff member at any forum I'd be in charge of, regardless.)

Thanks for testing this out! I like the way you set this up, and I'll personally be watching this with some interest.

Now, I've got a suggestion in light of this: just don't show members by their reputation, or it'll become competitive rather than a positive system meant for giving people a chance to be recognized within the community.
    Check out my newly-opened Trade Shop!!!
    ------------
    I have claimed Volcarona!
    ----------------
    FC: 3411 0844 2159

What do you mean don't show members by their reputation?

Do you mean like disabling the visibility of your reputation? Because you can do that by going to "General Settings" in the user cp and turning off your reputation. People will still be able to rep you, but they won't see your current reputation level (currently the little green card under your user rank).

No offense but I honestly don't think this will turn out well. The sheer amount of attention whores and trolls will only increase. Yes it's a fun idea and if it is managed well then it'll all turn out fine, but I just can't help but think of attention hungry people fishing for likes on facebook or something.

That's why we're giving it a trial period of 1-2 months. If we see that people are abusing it, then we'll just get rid of it again. This time around, however, we have a lot of restrictions on rep, so we're hoping things will turn out better.

I like this but I know people will just abuse it by giving bad rep out for nothing like what happened to me. -_- Anyway people should not get worked up about rep it means nothing even if it's good or bad. Still it's good to have other features so nice work.

Quote Originally Posted by Kreis View Post
    What do you mean don't show members by their reputation?

Do you mean like disabling the visibility of your reputation? Because you can do that by going to "General Settings" in the user cp and turning off your reputation. People will still be able to rep you, but they won't see your current reputation level (currently the little green card under your user rank).
    People will still see the grey card -- but I mentioned that.

Can it be set up instead so they don't see anything?

Quote Originally Posted by Sir DJ View Post
    No offense but I honestly don't think this will turn out well. The sheer amount of attention whores and trolls will only increase. Yes it's a fun idea and if it is managed well then it'll all turn out fine, but I just can't help but think of attention hungry people fishing for likes on facebook or something.
    Well, what can you do except try it again with better policing.

And if people start angling for rep, you can still give them negative rep and point out how much you think that takes away from their post.

That's why we're giving it a trial period of 1-2 months. If we see that people are abusing it, then we'll just get rid of it again. This time around, however, we have a lot of restrictions on rep, so we're hoping things will turn out better.
    And, you know, this part.
    3DS FC: 3926-4256-2399
    Ingame name: Coatlicue

The usual links

Quote Originally Posted by Rairyan View Post
    I like this but I know people will just abuse it by giving bad rep out for nothing like what happened to me. -_- Anyway people should not get worked up about rep it means nothing even if it's good or bad. Still it's good to have other features so nice work.
    If people are abusing rep, make sure to contact an admin or supermoderator. Smods and admins have the ability to see a user's rep, while regular mods cannot.

Edit: Correction. Only admins can see specific rep. Smods and regular mods cannot see specific rep given. Sorry about that.

Thanks for the return of reputation, hopefully it will go smoothly throughout the months.

Quote Originally Posted by Ellie View Post
    fixed. if there's any others let me know, we have 200 subforums (not all are active or visible to other users ) so i really don't want to go through everything if most appear to be working fine

also "like" i believe is a hack. i haven't seen any options for a like system in the acp while poking around, but i could have missed it, so i could be wrong. if it is in fact a hack, we will most likely not do it.
    Oh, I never knew "Like" was a hack. I thought it was possible for VBulletin because I saw the system functioning in a certain Pokemon forums. Fair enough.

I've seen Reputation/ similar stuff work on other sites. I don't think attention grabbers will be a problem. We have to wait the 1 month to know for sure though

<--My tumblr
    Quote Originally Posted by EmphaticPikachu
    DRACO NO STOP. DRACO DOWN. DRACO NO FLIRTING WITH ME.
    Quote Originally Posted by Noodlerama

FF.Net profile: Here!!
    \

Correction. Only admins can see specific rep. Smods and regular mods cannot see specific rep given. Sorry about that.
    I actually don't think this was stated anywhere else, at least not in the opening post, though. Actually, it says:
    You can't see another person's exact rep score (unless you are staff)
    ods can still see who gave a rep comment
    So... I dunno.

I still really think there should be a straight-up opt-out, on a side note. But much of that may stem from the idea that, in my opinion, just hiding your rep score is kind of silly.
    3DS FC: 3926-4256-2399
    Ingame name: Coatlicue

The usual links

For regular mods, like myself, I can only see my own rep. This means I can't see other staff members rep or regular members rep. This means what shows up for YOUR reputation info under settings, I cannot see. As a regular mod, I can only see my own. The difference between me and regular members is that I can see the person that left me a post or neg rep, while normal users cannot. Admins, however, can see everything. I'm still not completely sure about what smods see, so I'll let Ellie or another higher up answer that as soon as they can.

smods can see the number of points/power people have, but only admins have access to the reputation manager since it is in the acp, so only we can see the actual comment left. all mods, however, can see who left a comment when they receive one for themselves. so, for example, if i give kreis a neg, he can see it was me who left it. but if i give a neg to anyone who isn't staff they can't see it was me. i changed the wording on the first post since it was confusing.

the only way to allow someone to not use rep at all is if you abuse rep and are moved into the rep-banned usergroup. you can still see others' rep though, so there is no way to completely remove it from your sppf "experience." like i said, if you don't like it then just turn off your own display and then ignore it when you see it, it's not that hard.
    Last edited by Ellie; 11th August 2013 at 9:02 PM.

be sure to read the rules of every section before posting ;)

Little Miss Stalinist/Secret Al-Qaeda agents (i.e. Ellie) would be a ***** even if she was a conserative republican. What makes her the way she is happens to be the fact that the webmaster of this site let's her behave like this. (Of course, I would never make a liberal a staff member at any forum I'd be in charge of, regardless.)

Wow the road to Viridian City must be packed right now :0

"i unno man im just a pawniard"

vvv Lookie
    VO Clan/VO Xat/VO Battle Spreadsheet

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast