Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Reputation is back!

Quote Originally Posted by Kreis View Post
    Oh great, now I'll have something else that shrinks.

Yeah, I know how you feel. I'm disabling it, the whole rep thing sounds a little annoying.
    3DS FC: 5043 1366 9389

Looking for more secret bases! Message me your QR code, and I'll send you back mine.

Looking for that extremespeed linoone with adamant or jolly (when it comes out). If you're gonna get one, I'd appreciate it. I can clone it if needed.
    I'm willing to sell my soul for it

Quote Originally Posted by Jb View Post
    If this becomes a permanent feature in the future, will we be able to see who gave positive rep? I don't think any hurt feelings will come from that. Or is it all or nothing.
    there's no way to do that. you can either see all of it or none of it. in addition, looking through the old comments when i had to fix everyone's, positive rep leads to rep trading pretty quickly. you shouldn't get positive rep just for giving it to someone else, you should get it for making good posts or being helpful or other good things.

be sure to read the rules of every section before posting ;)

Little Miss Stalinist/Secret Al-Qaeda agents (i.e. Ellie) would be a ***** even if she was a conserative republican. What makes her the way she is happens to be the fact that the webmaster of this site let's her behave like this. (Of course, I would never make a liberal a staff member at any forum I'd be in charge of, regardless.)

Quote Originally Posted by Mercutio View Post
    Speaking as a mod elsewhere on the Internet, this is a mistake. But hopefully I'm wrong!
    You had the opportunity to speak up before, soooo. :u

Deoxysdude94: unfortunately, there is no way for you to turn off rep at all, you can only turn off your rep level from being visible to other users. You'll still get rep from users, so you'll just have to ignore it.
    [23:47] <kesha> PENNSATUCKY PLEASE CURE ME OF THESE UNCLEAN THOUGHTS

pm me any reports/questions that you may have
    (it may take a couple of days for me to respond, though)

I just noticed that you have to rep 40 people before you can rep the same person again. Isn't 40 a bit much? I don't think I even see 40 people on these forums in a day.

Credit to Sworn Metalhead for the banner

Oh sweet, another thing to be judged by apart from post count.
    But I guess this could be cool, too.

TBTF EGC ACbay deviantART RNtMA
    Friend Safari: Shellgon, Gabite, Druddigon

3DS FC: 2320 6135 5667
    NN ID: TheUglyBarnacle

the reason for it is to prevent people from spamming the same person with rep. when we had a user poll before on if theyd want rep quite a few people wanted to only rep the same person once, ever, to prevent the abuses. that's not possible, but the point is to get people to spread rep around. the point of rep is not to boost up people you like a ton, it's to give good/bad feedback on people you see posting so everyone can get that feedback. having a large limit inbetween repping the same user may encourage people to go around and rep new people who they maybe wouldnt have before.

be sure to read the rules of every section before posting ;)

Little Miss Stalinist/Secret Al-Qaeda agents (i.e. Ellie) would be a ***** even if she was a conserative republican. What makes her the way she is happens to be the fact that the webmaster of this site let's her behave like this. (Of course, I would never make a liberal a staff member at any forum I'd be in charge of, regardless.)

Well, it's to prevent abuse. Again, Ellie will adjust it accordingly if she sees fit once the trial period is over. Also, you're not supposed to rep the same people you see/talk to everyday, there are several posts around the forum that make good or bad posts, so just rep away.

edit: beat.

Quote Originally Posted by General Nonsense View Post
    I just noticed that you have to rep 40 people before you can rep the same person again. Isn't 40 a bit much? I don't think I even see 40 people on these forums in a day.
    That could depend on where you post. The X and Y Discussions for example has a lot of different members including myself posting there almost everyday and the Fan-fic section is also a place that looks to be a source for many reps due to the many authors in that subforum.

Yeah, there's so many uses for rep, so soon enough you'll be hitting the 40 mark.

Like someone's fic? Rep. Someone made a good trade with you in the forums? Rep. Someone was being really helpful to you? Rep. Etc, etc. you'll use them up soon enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Kreis View Post
    Yeah, there's so many uses for rep, so soon enough you'll be hitting the 40 mark.

Like someone's fic? Rep. Someone made a good trade with you in the forums? Rep. Someone was being really helpful to you? Rep. Etc, etc. you'll use them up soon enough.
    From the sound of it, the goal is to [hopefully] add incentive to not be annoying to other users, in return potentially reducing spam and boosting the overall quality of discussions. If people catch on, that is. Assuming people don't abuse this, I can see a lot of good coming out of this.
    AC Dream Address: 4300 2225 3013 // Secret Base Teams // Most Recent Shiny: Regirock

Yeah, the 40 in-between thing is a good idea. My first worry when I saw this announcement was how easily it could be abused; not only could someone constantly boost the reputation of their friends and vice-versa (I scratch your back, you scratch mine), but someone could also harass users they don't like by lowering their reputation every time they got the chance. The 40 limit should help that.

A simple "Like" button would have been nice, though...

That involves a hack, and you being a former member of staff know that Joe hates those.

I disagree with the "like" assertion, Jesusfreak. I will agree, that a "like" is nice from the perspective of a simple way to upvote things you like on the site. However, as with Facebook I find that most "like" systems simply end up being a form of acknowledgement, as opposed to a way to meaningfully evaluate the content of what was liked. People see a friend's post, or just something they like in general and may click "like" without fully reading the thoughts.

A "like" or "dislike" system could be useful sparringly in tandem with the rep, but I genuinely think that this model is well thought out and will benefit the site after it is tested and possibly refined (where testing reveals issue)
    Black 2 Friend Code: 3311-4853-5551

Currently Offering DWF
    Currently Seeking all DWFs not listed above/Any UT DW Starters

Feel free to message me for trades/battles. I'm always down

Rep is always a mess on other forums. I hope it is good for this one.

This will end well. And when I say end, I mean sooner rather than later. People already spam to increase post count.

Spoiler:- Alpha Sapphire Progress:

Wow, that's a blast from the past. I'm actually pretty optimistic that it'll work out this time.

Hmm. Sounds nice. I can't wait to try it.
    Black: 3482-2112-2585
    Soul Silver:4297 5993 0464
    Platinum:2965 4525 0763
    My shiny pokemon:
    Encountered in FR as a Geodude
    Encountered in Diamond as a Lv.4 Shinx

I claim Latias

I HOPE THERES A MEGA LATIAS!

I've seen the allkpop.com system on reputation, and I can say that the rules and regulations on this returning feature are better and more secure than those of AKP.

Good job you guys!

I got a question does your title change when you get postive and negative feed backs cuaz right now when i hover over my rep green bar it says on the road to viridian city? does that change when you get more reps? just curious...

Yes, it will, although idk what those messages end up being myself. Along that same theme at any rate.

A parody of the Pokemon Colosseum game, full of pastries and Miror B.
    Completed. Four times winner of Best Comedy/Funniest Fic.

The BBS Forums! Join in!
    Gain achievements for activity on forums & the games!

Tied to this Pokemon Magazine! Looking for contributors - check it out!
    Why should you? Well, Wynaut?
    Current article: Dude, where's my Game Corner? Learn why you can't gamble in ORAS. =(
    Avatar by minty-fivestar on DA, with edited background/cropping. Fic banner by cieux.

Quote Originally Posted by bobandbill View Post
    Yes, it will, although idk what those messages end up being myself. Along that same theme at any rate.
    ahh got it thanks bobandbill i noticed different title on people when i hover over there rep box so i was curious XD thanks again for the response

I didn't notice this until now, but I probably won't be using it.

Well, this sure is nostalgic...

I can even see my crappy reputations in 2005. :P This is making me blush.
    Last edited by Satoshi; 12th August 2013 at 2:04 PM.
    Tales of REDPLICAAAAAA!
    Anime Blog [x] Art [0] Bishoujou [0] BMGf [x] LiveJournal [x] Eggbear! [x] Credit [n/a]
    .UVERworld。

Hmmm... it's interesting, but I guess I'll turn it off. Some people are quite sensitive to what some people say.
    I'm going to stay with it for a day/week or so, see how it goes, then if bad, turn if off.

EDIT:I just read the rules... I should lose that habit :P
    Last edited by The Super Kid; 12th August 2013 at 3:27 PM.

Cool. I grew up on rep system forums, Pokecommunity way back not SPPF, so its good to see an old friend pop up here.
    BLAH

Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast