Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Saddest Book You've Ever Read?

Default Saddest Book You've Ever Read?

The title explains it all. If you wish to elaborate on why it's the saddest, please put it in a spoiler.

For me, it's The Mark of Athena by Rick Riordan.

Spoiler:- Sad:

I don't remember reading a lot of books that made me cry, honestly. I'm pretty stoic when it comes to reading if only because if I like something, I don't like getting interrupted--blurry vision included. The only one I can think of right now is "Charly" by Jack Weyland. Members here most likely don't know who he is, but he's a Mormon author who's pretty well-known in the Mormon community. "Charly" is his most famous book which was also turned into a movie (which was okay, book was so much better if only because it felt timeless despite hinting it takes place in the '80s).

So to summarize:

Spoiler:- why it's sad:

The book has a sequel, but it's okay. Not as emotionally-packed as "Charly" is, which still remained one of my favorite books.

So yeah. I'm sure there's one other book that has probably made me weep (nope, didn't cry reading Where the Red Fern Grows), but I can't think of it.
    Winner of Best Pokémon/Pokémon Fic of 2013 in the Shipping Oscars
    Current Chapter: Chapter Ten - 3/17/14 / Current: Requiem I - 11/17/14 - Chapter 21 progress: 66%
    I survived Pupa.

Well, I always feel miserable after reading the sixth Harry Potter book. I don't think it's the saddest one I've ever read, though. That title could go to Mitch Albom's The Five People You Meet in Heaven. It's very sad, but also a little revitalizing. I might have said The Boy in the Striped Pajamas, but that one is ended in a deliberately unemotional style, and works in wider topics along the way than the main individual's life, so that I found I wasn't as emotionally invested.

I'm sure I'm forgetting some very good candidates.

Robin Williams
    1951-2014
    "What's it gonna be? I don't know. But maybe along the way, you take my hand, tell a few jokes, and have some fun. C'mon, pal. You're not afraid, are ya?"

Make fun of me all you want but The Great Gatsby always gets me. Such an amazing book.

Well the ending of mice and men. It really was a good book but once you realize what's going to happen in the end it becomes really sad.

i thought the end of Nineteen Eighty-Four was really sad apparently the next book in my queue (On the Beach by Nevil Shute) is a tear jerker too so i'm looking forward to reading that on the train from LA to Seattle
    life is
    a game

Laugh if you will, but mine are Harry Potter 6 and 7, Mockingjay, and the Series of Unfortunate Events books. Pretty sad to me, lol. On a more serious note, The Child Called It was extremely depressing, and made my hatred for abusive parents grow to new extremes.
    Thanks to FairyWitch for the profile pic!

† I am a Christian, and not ashamed to admit it! Copy and paste this if you are too.†

National Dex Completed 2/13/2014, at 12:12 A.M., with 212:16 Game Time, and thanks to my friends who traded me over 200 times that week

I don't really read sad books, but The Fault in Our Stars was pretty sad.
    [IMG]http://i40.*******.com/fjgfat.jpg[/IMG]
    ~~ Pokémon X and Y , the new generation...~~
    On the hunt for my first X&Y shiny! (and my first RE maybe.. >.<)
    Y Team: Delphox, Blastoise, Sylveon, Aurorus, Dragalge, Yveltal
    X Team: Greninja, Charmeleon, Pikachu, Eevee (Espeon/Leafeon)

[Thanks to Equal-to-Heaven for the Yveltal clock!]
    [IMG]http://i40.*******.com/vy4jgi.jpg[/IMG]

http://www.michaelrosen.co.uk/sadbook.jpg

i wish there was some way i could cheer it up...

"i unno man im just a pawniard"

vvv Lookie
    VO Clan/VO Xat/VO Battle Spreadsheet

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmareisalive View Post
    Well the ending of mice and men. It really was a good book but once you realize what's going to happen in the end it becomes really sad.
    You reminded me of one: Flowers for Algernon. That's a misery-maker, too.

Robin Williams
    1951-2014
    "What's it gonna be? I don't know. But maybe along the way, you take my hand, tell a few jokes, and have some fun. C'mon, pal. You're not afraid, are ya?"

Quote Originally Posted by mjunior3 View Post
    On a more serious note, The Child Called It was extremely depressing, and made my hatred for abusive parents grow to new extremes.
    That was a very hard book to read. Dear God... I never wanted to read it again after I finished it, I gave the book right back to the library or friend or whoever/wherever once I finished the last page.

And the Series of Unfortunate Events books were fun to read, but the story got worse (in terms of events, not story-telling). So I was happy to reach the end, but then it got depressing again. The Baudelaires never got a break...

Oh yeah, about the sixth Harry Potter book, the shock wasn't too bad for me, if only because Mom sorta-kinda spoiled it by saying, "The person who died was who I thought it was." So I kinda wasn't looking forward to it, but even then, I stared at the page once I reached it. (Meanwhile, the movie kinda killed it... I felt nothing in the movie theater.) Same with the last book. I was actually a bit relieved it was finished, honestly. I haven't reread Harry Potter since.
    Winner of Best Pokémon/Pokémon Fic of 2013 in the Shipping Oscars
    Current Chapter: Chapter Ten - 3/17/14 / Current: Requiem I - 11/17/14 - Chapter 21 progress: 66%
    I survived Pupa.

A Thousand Splendid Suns was overly sad. I hate the author after reading it.
    Jackpot!

I have a theory that the Pokémon world and the Mother world are one in the same. I won't go into spoilers for Mother 3, but think of Black and White's story of the dragon and the twins. Also, chimeras are kind of like Pokémon.

Werster is without a doubt the Pokémon Master.

Well, they aren't English though, I read mostly Dutch books for my book report and they don't contain much feelings,... The words aren't really speaking to me e.e I don't like the Dutch language.

But! I've cried over fanfictions, I usually never try out drama, but dayumm that story was so great that it totally got me hooked up.

It was Like, Lust, Love and all above by tooblondforu if you ever wanna try out that fanfiction :')

Also Bloodshed by Chee5e55ave5 I am not into real books until my teachers force me to read some >.< ~
    There is no upperhand hand, I'm giving you mine. It doesn't have to end up wasting your time. There's things that I could say, here in my way. I wanna let you know, that it's all okay.

You love pizza!

Go eat Tuna fish!

I still have no life. Trololo ~

Black 2. My fc : 4213 5452 6544

(Credit goes to FairyWitch)

(Credit goes to Astral Shadow)

Wonder by R.J. Palacio is really sad. It made me cry quite a bit throughout the book but the end is really happy.

Survive by Alex Morel. It begins with:

Spoiler:- Spoiler:
    3DS FC:
    4940 - 6535 - 5488

Friend Safari: Fighting:
    Pancham, Machoke, Tyrogue.
    PM me if you add me.

Twilight Saga: New Moon

Its sadder than the movie. I cried for like an hour when Edward left Bella. But HELL my friend beat me. She said she cried for 2-3 hours >_> nya~

I always feel sad after reading The Order of the Phoenix. It's certainly a climax in terms of raw emotion and devastation in the series, and it's still my favorite HP book.

Other than that... The Kite Runner was a generally depressing and saddening read, as was Tom's Midnight Garden (although I was pretty young when I first read it, and any consequent sadness I feel when reading it in the present now can probably be owed to nostalgia rather than actual plot-induced sadness).
    [CYTUS]
    ICE - L
    eyemedia - Bloody Purity
    xi - FREEDOM DiVE↓

Quote Originally Posted by moot View Post
    i thought the end of Nineteen Eighty-Four was really sad
        Spoiler:- stuff in 1984:

I almost shed some tears writing that.

EDIT: Note that I get angry at backstabbers easily.

Every time you have a bad day, just go to Advanced Search, enter "Him in the Court" in the User Name box, and voila.

PEOPLE OF EARTH -- WE ARE YOUR ZILTOIDIAN OVERLORDS.
    RESISTANCE IS FUTILE.

I read this A LONG time ago, but I remember it being quite sad. How to Kill a Mockingbird. I don't like reading that much but, I read this book cover to cover and I loved it. (It's like 6th grade level book, i know xD).

It was the last book in the "last light" series for me.

Spoiler:- spoilers:
    † I am a Christian and proud of it! Copy and paste this if you are too.†

Credit goes to FairyWitch at Flower Paradise Graphics

Fanfic Status: Currently postponed-- Kingdom Hearts: Memories' Reflection. Last updated 8/17/13

For some reason I got "upset" when reading The Cardturner. It was the only time I've been affected by a book.
    Es so Einfach wie Eins, Zwei, Drei.

The Fault In Our Stars was pretty sad. My girlfriend let me borrow the book. I ended up reading it in 2 days cause it was so good and so sad!

My 3DS FC: 3351-4281-5654. Message me if you want to fight in Smash or something.

The only time I cried while reading a book, was The Shawshank Redemption. Oh my gosh, I cried in my class for 10 minutes... 0//0

I am almost done with Flowers For Algernon, and what I read from a comment, it is sad. God I am not prepared for it...

Cujo.

The second to last paragraph. I cried.

Probably Bridge To Terabithia ... was not expecting the plot twist ...

" You called me out upon the waters
    The great unknown, Where feet may fail
    And there I find You in the mystery
    In oceans deep, my Faith will stand ..."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast