Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is it 'cheap' to use a Master Ball?

Default Is it 'cheap' to use a Master Ball?

I saw something today and it made me think whether or not people consider using a Master Ball 'cheap' because it is a 100% guarantee capture. Sure they are useful but does it kinda take away the challenge in catching a Pokemon? When it comes to legendaries as well do you think you should have to go through an epic battle to catch them rather than just throwing out a Master Ball first turn?

In Generation 5, I did not use a single Master Ball. I do think that it is a little cheap to use it, but I can name one case where I think it is absolutely necessary: (Unless you want it to be challenging.) In XD: Gale of Darkness, not using the Master Ball on Shadow Lugia would make the following battle with Greevil very difficult, because Lugia would have heavily weakened your team.
    3DS Friend Code: 4012-4489-0237

My Friend Safari: Ground with Sandshrew (Slot 1), Camerupt (Slot 2), and Diggersby (Slot 3).

NNID: garretslarrity

It is there for the purpose of catching Pokémon. Use as directed.
    Last edited by Endolise; 28th August 2013 at 2:33 AM.
    My 3DS XL Friend Code:
    0748 - 4304 - 0124
    Friend Safari: Steel-type

My 3DS Friend Code:

3797 - 8023 - 1467
    Friend Safari: Fighting-type

Vivillon Pattern: Modern

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Zoroark View Post
    Listen, you gotta remember these things; always avoid claims of Fennekin being (or becoming) part Fighting-type, don't tick off mods, and NEVER (and I mean NEVER!) suggest that Arceus is the God of Pokemon when Endolise is online. If you somehow make this mistake, run for the hills before he attempts to murder you via tongue lashing.

Of course not, since you only get one. Or two. Or in BW2 as many as you want but let's not go there. The idea is that it is so rare, you should use it very wisely. That is how come people have sob stories about using their Master Ball on weak Pokémon.

[img]http://i41.*******.com/2dqo1e.png[/img]~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Total clan wins: 25

Spoiler:- Credit:

Quote Originally Posted by Matoro View Post
    Of course not, since you only get one. Or two. Or in BW2 as many as you want but let's not go there. The idea is that it is so rare, you should use it very wisely. That is how come people have sob stories about using their Master Ball on weak Pokémon.
    Hm reminds me of the time I used a masterball on a ditto in blue when I was nine.

Hm no not really, I don't see it as cheap, I see it as a well to catch a good nature legendary without throwing your ds in anger.

No, since you can only have one or two depending on the game, if we don't count the lottery or the markets where you can obtain more than one.
    To fully use of the Master Ball, I think throwing it on a roaming legendary Pokémon with a low catch rate is the best way to use of your Master Ball. It's pretty difficult to catch one of these if you don't have the right technique.
    It's a single use in certain games, I think it all depends on the player's choice. Use it wisely or waste it poorly.
    « Be the leaf... »

my deviantArt page
    my tumblr page

Quote Originally Posted by Matoro View Post
    While some of the 4th and 5th gen games allow you to get unlimited master balls, it doesn't actually translate as such. In the Sinnoh games, you'd have to win the lottery exactly on the dot. And in BW2, you have to get the first prize in the raffle. They are completely up to chance so the odds of actually getting a Master Ball in addition to the one or two you get in normal game play are still very much against you.
    I'm part of the staff at Project Pokemon! Smod in forums, AOP in IRC, Administrator on Shoddy. Come visit us. Our Project is Pokemon!

i dont think theyre cheap, but im kinda ocd ha ha ha when i throw out my pokemon it drives me nuts that the animation is different so i literally have to catch em all with 200$ pokeballs xD

Quote Originally Posted by randomspot555 View Post
    While some of the 4th and 5th gen games allow you to get unlimited master balls, it doesn't actually translate as such. In the Sinnoh games, you'd have to win the lottery exactly on the dot. And in BW2, you have to get the first prize in the raffle. They are completely up to chance so the odds of actually getting a Master Ball in addition to the one or two you get in normal game play are still very much against you.
    Exactly this. Besides, the one or two given are plenty good enough for people to decide what to use them on, if at all.

I personally don't see a single problem with a Master Ball, because of how few of them you get in the game. I tend to not use them very often to begin with, and ever since Platinum, I've saved the Master Ball in the case of an emergency shiny, be it unexpected with Explosion or coming to Struggle itself to death. I see them as a backup more than anything, and it's definitely nice to have a backup in case you run out of everything else. Of course, in the case of legendaries, you can always reset and try again, so there's even less reason to consider a Master Ball as "cheap."
    AC Dream Address: 4300 2225 3013 // Secret Base Teams // Most Recent Shiny: Reshiram and Palkia

If someone wants to use a Master Ball, let them. It's their choice on whether to use it or not.

I didn't use my Master Balls in White 2, but I say if someone wants to, let them. I eventually traded them away for no reason other than having no use for them...
    Why would using a master ball be so bad...? Nintendo put them in the games for a reason. It's also a great reward for completing important quests.
    "The moment one gives close attention to any thing, even a blade of grass it becomes a mysterious, awesome, indescribably magnificent world in itself."
    -Henry Miller
    Current found shinies:
    My winning team PWT Champions tournament:
    The rest of my team:
    Already beat Y.

I don't think it's cheap. I keep it on me in case I find a shiny, especially if it's a Pokémon that can use moves like teleport and whirlwind. But I think it's fine if people use it for legendaries or something. I've been able to catch them in ultra balls, so I'm good.
    Yellow Team

Current Pokémon Y Team Members
    Greninja, Venusaur, Blaziken, Raichu, Tyrantrum, Mr. Mime

Pokémon X Planned Team Members
    Chesnaught, Charizard, Vespiquen, Jynx, Jolteon, Lucario

i dont think its cheep again because of how rare the ball is.
    Plus it makes roaming legendaries much easyer... i usually save my Master Ball for one of the Roamers... or the really hard to catch pokemon like Mewtwo.
    Not Reshrimm or Zekrom though... the game basicly WANTS you to catch them and there Catch Rate shows that... Heck you could even catch it in a Nuzlocke Challange as its the only pokemon you can catch in the Ns Castle area

No way. You only get 1 or 2 in every game, so how is it cheap? It is only logical to use it when faced against a roaming legendary, too.

Y'know, a Master Ball is great in theory. I have no problems against it- find a Pokemon you'd rather not spend tedious hours trying to catch? Use the ball that doesn't fail! (that sounds awkward. >_>)

It is, however, a little anti-climactic. Think of it; you've just spent half an hour hunting down exactly where Mewtwo is in that one blasted cave. Everything is set up for the climactic moment. This is sure to be an epic battle, one sung of throughout time. Even the music is amped up for it. And then you use a Master Ball. Whoops.

I don't think it's cheap to use a Master Ball, just anti-climactic.
    I'm back. And ready for more battling.

[Img]http://i55.*******.com/k1cdxu.gif[/img]
    [Img]http://i56.*******.com/2lx856h.gif[/Img][Img]http://i51.*******.com/206yn8i.gif[/Img]

Thanks to Mew_ and Sarah- for the banner, and PikaPika 677 for the MD animations.

They give it to you to use as you will. I catch Pokemon with it.
    Thanks to FairyWitch for the profile pic!

† I am a Christian, and not ashamed to admit it! Copy and paste this if you are too.†

National Dex Completed 2/13/2014, at 12:12 A.M., with 212:16 Game Time, and thanks to my friends who traded me over 200 times that week

Quote Originally Posted by Wild Dragonite View Post
    Y'know, a Master Ball is great in theory. I have no problems against it- find a Pokemon you'd rather not spend tedious hours trying to catch? Use the ball that doesn't fail! (that sounds awkward. >_>)

It is, however, a little anti-climactic. Think of it; you've just spent half an hour hunting down exactly where Mewtwo is in that one blasted cave. Everything is set up for the climactic moment. This is sure to be an epic battle, one sung of throughout time. Even the music is amped up for it. And then you use a Master Ball. Whoops.

I don't think it's cheap to use a Master Ball, just anti-climactic.
    Yeah I meant anti-climatic as well as cheap, couldn't word it though :P but just putting it out there, I use Master Balls and agree that they are very useful to catch those difficult legendaries or a shiny. It was more just a general discussion cos I have seen others say things about it.

It is more that they can take the spirit away of catching a Pokemon, like Wild Dragonite says you have spent a bit of time preparing to get the Pokemon like Mewtwo and it is all set for an epic battle and it only lasts 1 turn and you catch it in a Master Ball. It just seems too easy even.

You want an epic battle? Then don't use the Masterball.
    It's not like you're being forced to use it.

Quote Originally Posted by hen da man View Post
    Yeah I meant anti-climatic as well as cheap, couldn't word it though :P but just putting it out there, I use Master Balls and agree that they are very useful to catch those difficult legendaries or a shiny. It was more just a general discussion cos I have seen others say things about it.

It is more that they can take the spirit away of catching a Pokemon, like Wild Dragonite says you have spent a bit of time preparing to get the Pokemon like Mewtwo and it is all set for an epic battle and it only lasts 1 turn and you catch it in a Master Ball. It just seems too easy even.
    On the other hand, Legendary Pokémon are already extremely easy to catch even without using the Master Ball, so the only way that you could really make it an "epic" challenge of sorts would be to use only standard Poké Balls/Premier Balls/Great Balls/etc., and I think that would just make it more boring and time-consuming than anything else.
    My 3DS XL Friend Code:
    0748 - 4304 - 0124

My 3DS Friend Code:

3797 - 8023 - 1467

Listen, you gotta remember these things; always avoid claims of Fennekin being (or becoming) part Fighting-type, don't tick off mods, and NEVER (and I mean NEVER!) suggest that Arceus is the God of Pokemon when Endolise is online. If you somehow make this mistake, run for the hills before he attempts to murder you via tongue lashing.

On the whole "it makes the legendary battles anti climatic " thing.. well those epic battles get a little boring when you have to repeat it hundreds of times to get the right nature.

I spent probably all of about an hour one day trying to catch Mewtwo on HeartGold without a Master Ball and another hour and a half trying to get Lugia. I don't think of Master Balls as a cheap shortcut so much as a method of capture that doesn't make you want to pull your hair out.

I don't really feel it's cheap, unless you cloned a ton and went around catching everything in one. I usually don't use a Master Ball until I've caught the pokemon in question a few times without it. What I think is cheap is that you can have a pokemon down to 1 hp and asleep, but still have to throw 30+ balls at it to catch it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Griever789 View Post
    Hm reminds me of the time I used a masterball on a ditto in blue when I was nine.
    The first time I read this I thought you said you used it to catch a blue ditto.
    I'm looking for a Serperior named Serpedera. It'll be at lvl 98 or above. If you happen to have such a pokemon please PM me.

Pretendeavors (Goals I have that don't really mean anything) Updated 10-04-13

Voltorb Flip, Level 8 Victories: 16
    White Geonet: All countries completed!!! (130), 505 Trade Locations (of 513)
    The Last Ten: Locations
    Arunachel Pradesh, India * Dadra & Nager Hall, India * Formosa, Argentina ()
    Henan, China * Himachal Pradesh, India * Lakshadweep, India
    Lubusz, Poland * Madhya Pradesh, India * Shaanxi, China () * Sikkim, India

Pokeathlon Pokedex: 493/493- COMPLETED!!! (01-05-13)

I think there needs to be some sort of limit to capturing legendaries with it. It just doesnt feel right capturing pokemon like arcues on your first turn or any hyped legendary battle for that fact.

well those epic battles get a little boring when you have to repeat it hundreds of times to get the right nature.
    Thats a good point so I guess it all depends on whether your casual or competitive player.

On the other hand, Legendary Pokémon are already extremely easy to catch even without using the Master Ball,
    No. For one there is no easy or hard when it comes to catching pokemon because there is no skill. its all random chance. If you happened to have caught a legendary on your third try or whatever then that was just luck. But plenty of people waste hours upon hours trying without a masterball.

You want an epic battle? Then don't use the Masterball.
    It's not like you're being forced to use it.
    That like if god gave his powers to a 13 year old and told him to "Live your life like a normal human being." Obviously that not going to happen.
    Last edited by IAintObeezy; 28th August 2013 at 4:38 AM.
    Too uncreative to make a new sig...

Quote Originally Posted by IAintObeezy View Post
    No. For one there is no easy or hard when it comes to catching pokemon because there is no skill. its all random chance. If you happened to have caught a legendary on your third try or whatever then that was just luck. But plenty of people waste hours upon hours trying without a masterball.
    You do know that you can improve your chances of capturing a Legendary, correct? Here's a helpful step-by-step:

1. Reduce the Legendary Pokémon's HP.
    2. Afflict the Legendary Pokémon with a status condition; preferably sleep or paralysis.
    3. Use a strategic Poké Ball variant (Dusk Balls at night/in caves (which are very commonly the locations of Legendary Pokémon), Timer Balls if the battle lasts more than 11 turns (especially if you deliberately employ a stall strategy), Heavy Balls (when accessible) for heavier Pokémon, Net Balls for Water-type Pokémon, etc.).
    My 3DS XL Friend Code:
    0748 - 4304 - 0124

My 3DS Friend Code:

3797 - 8023 - 1467

Eh, they're given to you so you can use them however you like. I haven't used one in a while myself, mainly because I prefer saving them and having a full-on battle with legendaries and the like.

However, if that elusive shiny with Roar/Whirlwind/Selfdestruct/Explosion/Final Gambit/whatever other moves blow you away or knock out the user shows up... they'd be nice to have, right?

...Or if you just don't feel like having another hour-long struggle with your target, for it to Struggle itself to death before you catch it. That'll work too.

Current mono-type: TFL, Round 4
    Game: Black 2 (6/8)

Regions cleared: Johto | Hoenn | Sinnoh | Unova | (More? Let's finish these first~)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast