Results 1 to 23 of 23

Thread: Aspergers Club

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Eindhoven, The Netherlands
    Posts
    1,533

    Default Aspergers Club

    Introduction

    This is a club for people with Asperger Syndrome, people with relatives/friends/a partner who have Asperger Syndrome or other people who are interested in learning more about this disorder. This disorder is a form of autism. Some symptoms of this disorder are:
    - focusing on one or a few subjects of major interest.
    - poor communication skills, mostly because of non-verbal communication.
    - poor motor skills
    - trouble with unexpected changes

    Of course not all these symptopms always apply to anyone with Aspergers, I don't want to generalize. However, many of these symptoms do apply to people diagnosed with Asperger Syndrome.

    For more information, here is the Wikipedia page about Asperger Syndrome.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asperger_syndrome

    This club is meant to be a place for people to share their stories and experiences, without being ridiculed for it.

    Rules

    1. Please follow the general Serebiiforums rules.
    http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthr...i-Forums-Rules

    2. Don't pretend to have Aspergers when you don't have the disorder and aren't diagnosed, like some trolls seem to enjoy. However, if you aren't diagnosed, but truly think you have Aspergers, it's fine, but please state that you're not diagnosed, just to prevent confusion.

    3. Everyone is allowed to talk here, I won't have a member/non-member system. I want this club to be open for everyone who wants to talk here.

    4. Please be respectful. When people with Aspergers talk about problems they are facing here, things can be sensitive and emotional. Please try to understand this.

    5. Stay on-topic.

    6. If you see any posts breaking these rules, please report them. Don't reply to them in an offensive way, please try to avoid big arguments and drama.

    Now, let's start talking by answering this question: Why did you come to this club?

    I have severe Aspergers, I was diagnosed in 2004. To share experiences and raise understanding, I decided to create this club. My social skills are a severe issue, causing me to be an outcast during my entire life. It's probably why kids started bullying me in elementary school. Unfortunately, I can't stand up to people, so the bullying continued and got worse... I've been bullied for almost my entire life and can't get along well with my sister and my dad, causing me to have suicidal thoughts during my mid-teenage years, causing me to rarely trust people, causing me to be anxious and nervous often, causing me to have no self-esteem at all and causing me to be extremely over-suspicious. I'm an example of how Aspergers can pretty much wreck someone's life. During the biggest part of my life, Pokemon was everything I had in life to make me happy, something that gave me the chance to not worry about things for a while.

    However, since 30 January 2013, the day my girlfriend and I started our relationship, my life has gotten significantly better. I always thought I would never get a girlfriend, and now the most awesome girl in the world is my girlfriend! This caused me to become a much happier person, I finally found true happiness after a life of insecurity, worries, bullying and depression. She loves me how I am, has no problems with my Asperger Syndrome and turned my life around in a really awesome way! It's an internet relationship because of distance, but when it's possible, she and I are planning to meet in real life and live together. It's definitely true love! <3
    Last edited by AquaMilotic; 4th September 2013 at 10:50 AM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Equestria
    Posts
    3,921

    Default

    Why did you come to this club?

    Because I've been diagnosed with Aspergers and ADHD since I was young, and I just now found this club. I've never been good at speaking to people in person. I cannot tell you how often I've said something inappropriate, and was blissfully unaware of it until a long time later, when someone else pointed it out to me. That's why I prefer talking on the internet. At least here, you can think about your response before you put it out there. There's also none of this non-verbal communication stuff either.

    Most of the bullying I got was because I didn't like the same things that everyone else liked, so I couldn't take part in the conversations. :/
    Last edited by Monster Guy; 4th September 2013 at 3:03 AM.
    Shiny Mega Gardevoir thinks his black dress is totally stylish. Shiny Mega Gallade wishes he looked that good. :P

    RPer's profile, 3DS Friend Code, and Nintendo Network ID

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY, USA | Gender: M
    Posts
    1,264

    Default

    Why did you come to this club?

    I've been diagnosed with Aspergers only recently and ADHD a while ago, but this has been plaguing me for my entire life.

    As soon as my doctor gave the diagnosis I wanted to know what it meant. He said I should look it up. I pulled up a Google search, and it was basically the story of my life. Lack of face to face social skills, only enjoying certain things and being bored of many others, being bullied because I'm non confrontational (But got in trouble for blowing up on people when the teachers see me and not them doing something bad). The Wikipedia article basically justified my entire existence.

    I'm often insensitive to the feelings of others and have to be told I insulted them or otherwise said/did something they don't like. I've lost a couple of friends because of this disorder, most recent one around March of 2013.

    Regardless, my life still sucks and I'm single.
    Last edited by bronislav84; 4th September 2013 at 3:28 AM.

    Banner by the illustrious Avenger Angel

    Bronislav is my Name and 1984 is my Birth year. If you can't say my name, just call me Bron or Slavik.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Infinite Fields of Thought
    Posts
    2,914

    Default

    Why did you come to this club?


    I didn't know about anything of the sort until I met someone who became a good friend back in 8th grade. When he told me about it and I researched, I became suspicious. My suspicions grew when my cousin was diagnosed with it, the daughter of my mother's younger brother, who may or may not have it. Finally, in senior year, I took the test with my psychologist and it was confirmed I had it.

    I had a lot of trouble with people,e specially because of different culture. I didn't have the help I would have had if I was diagnosed sooner so I forced myself to adapt. I am slowly trying to move beyond it, but it is often difficult.
    Last edited by DVB; 4th September 2013 at 3:38 AM.

    If you have attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or by drawing an array, copy and paste this in your sig.
    Platinum Friend Code: 0775-1254-2777

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    New York, US
    Posts
    1,358

    Default

    Why did you come to this club?

    I've never been told if I have it, but I have tons of social issues. I have been diagnosed with ADD, ADHD, OCD, Anxiety, and SEVERE Depression. I don't have a lot of friends, and I don't trust anyone I meet. No one treats me right, and I've been bullied for as long as I can recall. There have been times I've just wanted to end it all, and I feel awful even on my medications. My anti-depressant is on the max, but it doesn't help too much of the picture. There are only a very few people who have been there to help me. My two best friends, God bless them. They understand me better than my family, which I love with all my heart.
    Music has been my escape for so long... It's how I speak out my heart and soul. But it hurts knowing I don't know anyone to share my love of music with. I go to college for music, and I still have very few people to talk to...

    And not to mention my love life is as non existent as dogs with wings. I just want someone to make me feel better, someone who cares...

    Someone please comfort me...
    3DS FC: 5043 1366 9389

        Spoiler:- pokemon joke of the week:

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    720

    Default

    Why did you come to this club?

    I'm personally not someone with the disorder, but I think it would really benefit me to learn more about it. I first heard of aspergers while doing a novel study in Grade 7. (If I could remember the title I'd probably reread it, it was a really good book.). Although I wouldn't call my knowledge of the disorder adept, I can somewhat relate. I have medium OCD along with a somewhat severe Dermatillomania (or skin picking). Although neither of these are particularily similar, I know how it feels to be picked on because of my disorder. I have so many scars from bug bites that I've picked.

    Basically I'd love to learn more. ouo'

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Eindhoven, The Netherlands
    Posts
    1,533

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Monster Guy View Post
    Why did you come to this club?

    Because I've been diagnosed with Aspergers and ADHD since I was young, and I just now found this club. I've never been good at speaking to people in person. I cannot tell you how often I've said something inappropriate, and was blissfully unaware of it until a long time later, when someone else pointed it out to me. That's why I prefer talking on the internet. At least here, you can think about your response before you put it out there. There's also none of this non-verbal communication stuff either.

    Most of the bullying I got was because I didn't like the same things that everyone else liked, so I couldn't take part in the conversations. :/
    Well, of course you couldn't find this club earlier, it's pretty new. I also think it's easier to talk on the internet, I have no real-life friends, but I do have some nice friends on this forum. And I also don't like the same things most others like (I don't like modern pop music, I refuse to play games like Call of Duty, Grand Theft Auto and that kind of stuff, I'm a virgin, I love Pokemon, those are all things people bullied me for).

    Quote Originally Posted by bronislav84 View Post
    Why did you come to this club?

    I've been diagnosed with Aspergers only recently and ADHD a while ago, but this has been plaguing me for my entire life.

    As soon as my doctor gave the diagnosis I wanted to know what it meant. He said I should look it up. I pulled up a Google search, and it was basically the story of my life. Lack of face to face social skills, only enjoying certain things and being bored of many others, being bullied because I'm non confrontational (But got in trouble for blowing up on people when the teachers see me and not them doing something bad). The Wikipedia article basically justified my entire existence.

    I'm often insensitive to the feelings of others and have to be told I insulted them or otherwise said/did something they don't like. I've lost a couple of friends because of this disorder, most recent one around March of 2013.

    Regardless, my life still sucks and I'm single.
    Awww, that's painful to read... Do you still have some friends who support you and undestand you, and accept you how you are? It sounds to me like you really need those.

    Quote Originally Posted by DVB View Post
    Why did you come to this club?


    I didn't know about anything of the sort until I met someone who became a good friend back in 8th grade. When he told me about it and I researched, I became suspicious. My suspicions grew when my cousin was diagnosed with it, the daughter of my mother's younger brother, who may or may not have it. Finally, in senior year, I took the test with my psychologist and it was confirmed I had it.

    I had a lot of trouble with people,e specially because of different culture. I didn't have the help I would have had if I was diagnosed sooner so I forced myself to adapt. I am slowly trying to move beyond it, but it is often difficult.
    What symptoms of Aspergers affect you the most, what do you have most trouble with? For me, it's social skills.

    Quote Originally Posted by deoxysdude94 View Post
    Why did you come to this club?

    I've never been told if I have it, but I have tons of social issues. I have been diagnosed with ADD, ADHD, OCD, Anxiety, and SEVERE Depression. I don't have a lot of friends, and I don't trust anyone I meet. No one treats me right, and I've been bullied for as long as I can recall. There have been times I've just wanted to end it all, and I feel awful even on my medications. My anti-depressant is on the max, but it doesn't help too much of the picture. There are only a very few people who have been there to help me. My two best friends, God bless them. They understand me better than my family, which I love with all my heart.
    Music has been my escape for so long... It's how I speak out my heart and soul. But it hurts knowing I don't know anyone to share my love of music with. I go to college for music, and I still have very few people to talk to...

    And not to mention my love life is as non existent as dogs with wings. I just want someone to make me feel better, someone who cares...

    Someone please comfort me...
    Some of these things sound very "me" to me, I've been bullied often too, I used to have suicidal thoughts often, my "escape" was Pokemon, like music for you. And for comforting you: I don't really know what to say... My life has been turned around positively because of my girlfriend (read my answer to this question in the opening post), but getting a girlfriend isn't easy, of course. And even when you find a nice girl, she'll have to love you back, and accept your Aspergers. But when you do find that one special girl, she might be able to boost your happiness like my girlfriend boosted my happiness. Unfortunately, I can't give you any advice on how to find a girlfriend, true love needs to happen naturally. I really hope you'll find an awesome girlfriend someday, someone who can really turn your life around in a positive way. Anyways, I've been in a desperate situation like yours, and things can change positively, I know that from experience. Don't give up hope, even though it's hard sometimes.

    Quote Originally Posted by Beirut View Post
    Why did you come to this club?

    I'm personally not someone with the disorder, but I think it would really benefit me to learn more about it. I first heard of aspergers while doing a novel study in Grade 7. (If I could remember the title I'd probably reread it, it was a really good book.). Although I wouldn't call my knowledge of the disorder adept, I can somewhat relate. I have medium OCD along with a somewhat severe Dermatillomania (or skin picking). Although neither of these are particularily similar, I know how it feels to be picked on because of my disorder. I have so many scars from bug bites that I've picked.

    Basically I'd love to learn more. ouo'
    Well, if you want to learn more, this is the right place. I could advise you to look up some good pages on the Internet, but I'd also just like to advise you to read the stories and experiences of people in this club, so you can see how the syndrome affected and affects us.

    Anyways, here are some good information pages about Aspergers.
    - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asperger_syndrome
    - http://www.aspergers.com/
    - http://www.autism.org.uk/about-autis...-syndrome.aspx
    - http://www.aspergerfoundation.org.uk/faq.htm

    A new topic question: Are you diagnosed with Aspergers or not? If yes, at what age?

    I've been diagnosed in 2004, some months before my tenth birthday. That was also when I became more and more aware why I was "different" than others. In 2011, my economics teacher at school doubted my diagnosis, and thought I might have another form of autism. I didn't think so, but I wanted to be fully sure, so I got a re-diagnosis in 2013, confirming the first diagnosis was right: I have Aspergers.
    Last edited by AquaMilotic; 5th September 2013 at 10:26 AM.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Equestria
    Posts
    3,921

    Default

    Well, of course you couldn't find this club earlier, it's pretty new. I also think it's easier to talk on the internet, I have no real-life friends, but I do have some nice friends on this forum. And I also don't like the same things most others like (I don't like modern pop music, I refuse to play games like Call of Duty, Grand Theft Auto and that kind of stuff, I'm a virgin, I love Pokemon, those are all things people bullied me for).
    Yeah, right now most of my friends are on the forum. :/

    It was the same thing for me. I liked Pokemon, everyone else liked Halo. :/

    Are you diagnosed with Aspergers or not? If yes, at what age?

    I've been diagnosed for years. I just never really understood what it meant until recently. My parents just told me it was a "learning disorder" when I was younger. I went to private schools for kids with Special Needs since fifth grade and wasn't really aware.
    Shiny Mega Gardevoir thinks his black dress is totally stylish. Shiny Mega Gallade wishes he looked that good. :P

    RPer's profile, 3DS Friend Code, and Nintendo Network ID

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Geelong, Victoria, Australia!
    Posts
    1,074

    Default

    Why did you come to this club?

    I was diagnosed with Asperger Syndrome last year around September 17 at the age of 14. I was a bit afraid and upset when I initially found out because I was "different" but I later thought there is no such thing as normal so I was finally happy because I am who I am. It's good to know I'm not alone on the forums and it's makes it more comfortable to talk about.

    I figure I was bullied due to this due to my "short fuse" and I had a lot of suicidal thoughts and often hurt my self (not too dangerously) I am very smart which I believe has to do with Asperger Syndrome and I am also quite OCD

    "Well I'm walking by the red light
    Gonna find me all that I'm owed
    And I know where I'm gonna be then
    When the red light's gonna shine on me"

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY, USA | Gender: M
    Posts
    1,264

    Default

    Oh yea I have friends. They're all online though. I don't have any RL friends anymore. Most of them are on this forum, like Mon said. Some were on Elite, and moved to PXR which I'm still getting adjusted to.

    Are you diagnosed with Aspergers or not? If yes, at what age?

    Last year actually. Around September, so a year ago. I'm going on 29 now.

    Banner by the illustrious Avenger Angel

    Bronislav is my Name and 1984 is my Birth year. If you can't say my name, just call me Bron or Slavik.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Eindhoven, The Netherlands
    Posts
    1,533

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Monster Guy View Post
    Yeah, right now most of my friends are on the forum. :/

    It was the same thing for me. I liked Pokemon, everyone else liked Halo. :/

    Are you diagnosed with Aspergers or not? If yes, at what age?

    I've been diagnosed for years. I just never really understood what it meant until recently. My parents just told me it was a "learning disorder" when I was younger. I went to private schools for kids with Special Needs since fifth grade and wasn't really aware.
    Well, why did you never understand what it meant until recently? I looked on your profile and you are 22 years old. Didn't your parents tell you about it earlier?

    Quote Originally Posted by HeroicRein View Post
    Why did you come to this club?

    I was diagnosed with Asperger Syndrome last year around September 17 at the age of 14. I was a bit afraid and upset when I initially found out because I was "different" but I later thought there is no such thing as normal so I was finally happy because I am who I am. It's good to know I'm not alone on the forums and it's makes it more comfortable to talk about.

    I figure I was bullied due to this due to my "short fuse" and I had a lot of suicidal thoughts and often hurt my self (not too dangerously) I am very smart which I believe has to do with Asperger Syndrome and I am also quite OCD
    I see. I felt relieved when my mom explained me about my Aspergers some months after my diagnosis. I was ten years old when she told me about it. Before that, I always felt that I was "different" than others, an outcast, but didn't understand why. When she told me, I understood why. However, I still felt inferior to people without disorders for many years. Since the beginning of 2013, when my girlfriend boosted my self-esteem, I realized I'm not inferior to people without disorders. There's a common misconception that people with Aspergers are unempathic, but that's nonsense. I think I can safely say I'm more empathic than some people without disorders, for example.

    Quote Originally Posted by bronislav84 View Post
    Oh yea I have friends. They're all online though. I don't have any RL friends anymore. Most of them are on this forum, like Mon said. Some were on Elite, and moved to PXR which I'm still getting adjusted to.

    Are you diagnosed with Aspergers or not? If yes, at what age?

    Last year actually. Around September, so a year ago. I'm going on 29 now.
    That's pretty late... Why didn't you get diagnosed earlier? No offense intended, I'm just asking out of interest.

    What are the main misconceptions and nonsense things you heard people say about Aspergers?

    Well, as I already mentioned in this post, some people think Aspies are totally unempathic. This is really not true. Some have trouble showing empathy, but that doesn't mean they don't feel it. I'm definitely more empathic than quite some people without disorders.

    Someone on this forum who had no knowledge about disorders once confused Aspergers with Down Syndrome, asking "do people think it's weird you're so smart despite having Down Syndrome?" I didn't get mad at this person, she didn't know any better, but it was pretty embarrassing. I have Aspergers, not Down Syndrome, and these two are completely different things. I don't know if this counts as an Aspergers misconception, but maybe she thought no person with any disorder could be smart, maybe that's why she confused this. I definitely think our society lacks some Aspergers awareness.

    Also, I once read people with Aspergers can't feel true love, and can't truly love someone. Seriously, I really love my girlfriend, she's my everything! And I love my mom (not romantically of course, just family member love), my grandparents and my rabbit. I can feel both romantic love and family-love/unromantic-love. And I'm sure most people with Aspergers can feel love.
    Last edited by AquaMilotic; 5th September 2013 at 5:53 PM.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Equestria
    Posts
    3,921

    Default

    Well, why did you never understand what it meant until recently? I looked on your profile and you are 22 years old. Didn't your parents tell you about it earlier?
    They told me, but I didn't really care to understand what that actually meant. xD

    What are the main misconceptions and nonsense things you heard people say about Aspergers?

    I heard something somewhere that said Aspies were unimaginative. I'm active in the RPG section, so obviously that's not true. :P
    Shiny Mega Gardevoir thinks his black dress is totally stylish. Shiny Mega Gallade wishes he looked that good. :P

    RPer's profile, 3DS Friend Code, and Nintendo Network ID

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY, USA | Gender: M
    Posts
    1,264

    Default

    That's pretty late... Why didn't you get diagnosed earlier? No offense intended, I'm just asking out of interest.
    I'm not offended. I dunno honestly. Didn't really feel like there was hat much reason. Then I suddenly needed to have an official status of my mental health on file for certain things, and that's when I found out.

    What are the main misconceptions and nonsense things you heard people say about Aspergers?

    This may sound weird to you, but nothing. Really nothing. I didn't know this disorder existed until I got diagnosed. Maybe call me living under a rock, but people just called me weird/stupid/gay/etc and didn't know what the heck was wrong with me. I didn't know either. I thought I was just weird.

    As for true love like Mon mentioned? I'm not sure. I have always felt very unemotional, and I've always been worried that when I do find somebody I truly want to be with, and it needs to be soon since I'm getting older, that I won't be able to express it. I believe a spouse is your best friend, and to that end my best friend needs to be somebody who shares my interests. I will love her for how we can have fun together. The emotion of love? I'm honestly lot sure I'm capable of expressing it.

    Banner by the illustrious Avenger Angel

    Bronislav is my Name and 1984 is my Birth year. If you can't say my name, just call me Bron or Slavik.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    543

    Default

    Why did you come to this club?

    I've never been officially diagnosed with OCD, ADD, ADHD, Anxiety, Depression, Aspergers, or anything, but I'm pretty confident that I have most of them. I've taken some online tests and I did test for most of them in varying degrees, namely OCD, ADD, Anxiety, Depression, and after conducting some research, mild aspergers as well, but of course that could all just be paranoia and the results don't really mean anything. I basically lacked any social skills while growing up, but being in College and working really brought me out of my shell, though I still have an aversion to strangers. I'm still dealing with depression, but it's much less severe than it was in my teen years. I have a handful of friends and they are like family to me, I would do anything for them and I know they would too. I've had two failed relationships, mostly because they got fed up with my ways, but that's their loss. My third/current relationship is very strong, we've been together for what will be six years, and we live together in our own home. This isn't just about me though, I've known several people with differing mental illnesses, including people in my family, and having volunteered for the Special Olympics for several years I enjoy giving back. This is really all I can think of right now, I have a pretty nasty cold, so i can't wait to start chatting with everyone.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Eindhoven, The Netherlands
    Posts
    1,533

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Monster Guy View Post
    They told me, but I didn't really care to understand what that actually meant. xD

    What are the main misconceptions and nonsense things you heard people say about Aspergers?

    I heard something somewhere that said Aspies were unimaginative. I'm active in the RPG section, so obviously that's not true. :P
    Odd... When I just found out, I wanted to know as much as possible, I wanted to know why I felt different all my life.

    Indeed. My dad often says he's jealous of my imagination, and I know some other aspies with great imagination.

    Quote Originally Posted by bronislav84 View Post
    I'm not offended. I dunno honestly. Didn't really feel like there was hat much reason. Then I suddenly needed to have an official status of my mental health on file for certain things, and that's when I found out.

    What are the main misconceptions and nonsense things you heard people say about Aspergers?

    This may sound weird to you, but nothing. Really nothing. I didn't know this disorder existed until I got diagnosed. Maybe call me living under a rock, but people just called me weird/stupid/gay/etc and didn't know what the heck was wrong with me. I didn't know either. I thought I was just weird.

    As for true love like Mon mentioned? I'm not sure. I have always felt very unemotional, and I've always been worried that when I do find somebody I truly want to be with, and it needs to be soon since I'm getting older, that I won't be able to express it. I believe a spouse is your best friend, and to that end my best friend needs to be somebody who shares my interests. I will love her for how we can have fun together. The emotion of love? I'm honestly lot sure I'm capable of expressing it.
    Well, about the gay thing: I've heard quite some male aspies get called "gay" because many don't really try getting in relationships until a later age. And some close-minded people think everyone not actively dating girls is immediately gay, ignoring the possibility of someone being straight and just not wanting to start dating yet, or even asexuality.

    Well, you say you think you can't express the emotion of love. Do you think you can feel it, have you ever been in love?

    Quote Originally Posted by StarkElf View Post
    Why did you come to this club?

    I've never been officially diagnosed with OCD, ADD, ADHD, Anxiety, Depression, Aspergers, or anything, but I'm pretty confident that I have most of them. I've taken some online tests and I did test for most of them in varying degrees, namely OCD, ADD, Anxiety, Depression, and after conducting some research, mild aspergers as well, but of course that could all just be paranoia and the results don't really mean anything. I basically lacked any social skills while growing up, but being in College and working really brought me out of my shell, though I still have an aversion to strangers. I'm still dealing with depression, but it's much less severe than it was in my teen years. I have a handful of friends and they are like family to me, I would do anything for them and I know they would too. I've had two failed relationships, mostly because they got fed up with my ways, but that's their loss. My third/current relationship is very strong, we've been together for what will be six years, and we live together in our own home. This isn't just about me though, I've known several people with differing mental illnesses, including people in my family, and having volunteered for the Special Olympics for several years I enjoy giving back. This is really all I can think of right now, I have a pretty nasty cold, so i can't wait to start chatting with everyone.
    Well, online tests don't really gurantee anything. I think you should get an official diagnosis test to find out what disorder(s) you have.

    Does your Aspergers bring you any positive things?

    Aspergers brought me some painful, negative things, but I'm curious to hear about the positive sides from you all.

    I've read that many aspies are very honest and hard-working, two things apply to me for sure, maybe it's connected to my Aspergers...

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    7

    Default

    I have not been diagnosed with Aspergers, but I think I have it.
    I am 46 years old. 4 years ago my daughter was diagnosed with Aspergers and anxiety disorders. She takes medicine to help her focus and help with teh anxiety. My son takes medicine for anxiety.
    when my daughter was diagnosed and the docotor was explaining it to us, I was thinking - that is me. Then she said that usually one or more of the parents show symtoms and asked if the symptoms applied to either of us. It took me a second to realize my wife was looking at me with a knowing looks since I was not looking anyone in the eye of course.
    It hit me pretty hard when my daughter was diagnosed. Partly because I felt guilty that she had to suffer this just because I was her dad. But more so because I started getting real introspective and looking at everything I did, wishing I could be normal.
    My job has become progressively more stressful and I have started having panic attacks. So I am going to start counseling in about 11 days.
    I am not sure if I will ahve to be diagnosed or waht.
    My kids have made great strides. My son went from hiding out in the house afraid of the girl down the street who picked on him to playing everyday with the neighbors.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    41

    Default

    I was diagnosed with Aspergers when I was 10 (so about 2003). I don't have a severe case of it though, but I still have trouble with social situations, like sometimes I'll say things that bother people without realizing I'm doing it because I have trouble reading visual cues, and when people use sarcasm on me it goes straight over my head. I'm also resistant to change, have general anxiety disorder and moderate depression. My depression used to be much worse, but for the past few years, it's been much easier to manage, although I still have periods where nothing seems to matter. Like a lot of people with Aspergers, I was bullied, and it didn't help that a lot of my bullying was also due to the fact that I'm gay. Of course, being from a small southern United States town, the administration at my high school pulled the "we don't want to get involved with that" bull.

    I'd like to end this post on a more positive note and with some advice: Joining theatre in high school was one of the best things I ever did. I wasn't in any plays (although I did audition for two my senior year), but I think the fact that for an hour and a half every day, I got to me someone who wasn't me did wonders for my self confidence. I also met one of my best friends in that class and it was the one place in school where nobody seemed to care that I was socially awkward. So yeah, those who are in high school/starting soon. Join theatre. Or band. Or chess club. Or whatever interest you. It'll probably be scary (it was terrifying for me), but it might turn out to be something you'll look back on and it'll be something you were happy you did.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    36

    Default

    Hey all. I'm an Aspie, and I was diagnosed back in 2010, after varying diagnoses of ADHD, OCD, etc. My parents don't seem to believe I have it, but every description I've read of it, it fits me to a tee. I've always been very awkward socially, but I'm starting to "normalize" - I've been working on it for a long time. I also have Social Anxiety Disorder and Generalized Anxiety Disorder, so I frequently have panic attacks. When I was little, this usually made me hit people because they scared me and I was afraid they'd take advantage of me if they thought I was weak. I used to hate being different, but now I'm glad I am. I excel at school even now because ever since I was little, I was far more interested in academics than playing with friends, etc. I remember making a deal with my 3rd grade teacher that I could help sort the books in the library during second recess if I was good, instead of having to go outside. XD I even remember being 5 and taking notes on the election (Bush vs. Gore, in case you were wondering - lol). Sometimes I still feel a little left out, but I'm improving a lot, so I'm pretty glad. My freshman year, I wasn't even able to initiate conversation with strangers because I felt so paranoid (I thought I'd just be bothering them, etc.), and now I have tons of friends. It was a lot of work, but I'm glad I am where I am now.
    I also want to mention that Pokemon helped me a lot. I know this sounds really lame, but the whole idea of believing in yourself and doing your best really resonated with me. As I progressed in Pokemon Gold, my first one (I got it for my 7th birthday, along with a GameBoy Color - after years of begging for a Pokemon game!) I started to feel like it was true - if you really did your best, you really could reach your goals - even if it took a long time. So, as cheesy as that is, that's why I'm still such a fan of Pokemon.
    So, that's about it. Sorry about the long post - I have a habit of ranting. XD
    3DS: 2964-9062-2165
    Safari Type: Normal
    Pokémon: Pidgey, Woobat (third unknown)

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    In the Mega-club
    Posts
    304

    Default

    I don't have Asperger but I do have autism. It's PDD-Nos with traits of ADHD. My secondary school was a special one with autism of many kinds. So I've met Asperger's too. My autism diagnosis was made when I was nine and I found it first a bit strange. But now I'm kind of proud to be a autism.

    There are some things I don't like about it off course. Thanks to my medicine, I can't get a driver's licence. I'm now 22 and I would really like to drive a car someday. But we have pretty good public transport. And don't forget the bicycle roads in the Nederland's.
    It happens often that people think that autism only sitting in a corner. That is not true. There are many kinds of people and many kinds of autism. I'm surrounded by it. My parents have autism traits. My boyfriend have autism. Some current classmates have autism.

    I had some bad times in my past, thanks to bullys, but now i'm fine. I currently doing apprenticeship far away from home and it goes very well. Last week I went by plane on my own and i'm pretty proud of it. Trying out new things can be scary, but it's rewarding when you succeed.
    Last edited by Pink Harzard; 26th October 2013 at 6:04 PM.
    I'm a Christian and I have autism. Both makes people special. Does this mean I'm double special? The answer is ''No'' because everyone is equally special.

    Due to personal stuff, I'm not as often online as I was before. I'm sorry if this causes any inconvenience.

    And this Future seems to be a Wild one
    Claimed Scyther

    Thanks to Chapter of Charizard for the Button

    Getting curious what those letters in the button stand for? Find the introduction of the PASBL here

    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphon View Post
    The notion that one's maturity is desided by what they enjoy is steeped in immaturity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Monster Guy View Post
    Arceus gave zero ****s that day...

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    DRAGONVILLE
    Posts
    151

    Default

    Where have you been all my life... Just kidding.
    I was diagnosed with Asperger's back in 2008. I also have Chronic Anxiety Disorder and mild situational depression. I have always been independent and isolate myself from others, and I have been told I have "a mind of my own". My foot balance and handwriting are somewhat poor due to mild undiagnosed (but blatantly obvious at this point) mild-moderate hypotonia (low muscle tone, fairly common in people with Autism Spectrum Disorders from what I have heard). I also show some mild signs of ADD that are likely due to Asperger's mostly, but it is known I do not have it or ADHD as I did not react well to ADHD medications. I am fairly certain I am (though it is not a disorder) asexual as well, since I have no interest in anything romance or otherwise. I dislike strong violence as well due to my anxiety, so I am not interested in high-violence games, shows, etc. I am here to learn not only more about my issues, but more about others.
    Four Shinies now! Zara (Audino, female) (10/24/12), Kiki (Ledian, female) (10/16/13), Ivy (Carnivine, female) (10/31/13), Hoshi (Relicanth, male) (11/16/13)
    Friend Safari: Rock (Dwebble, Onix, and Shuckle)
    3DS FC: 2380-2837-4651 Name: Hy6507
    I have officially claimed Chespin!
    Current hunt: Chespin (MM) 200 eggs!

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Somewhere Invisible
    Posts
    40

    Default

    Why did you come to this club?

    I came to this club because I have mild autism which was first thought to be Asperger's. I was first diagnosed at 17 and until now have not seen a club for people with autism/Asperger's. Thank you for having this club; it's nice to be able to connect with people who understand what it's like to live with this condition.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    In the middle of SPAAAAAACE
    Posts
    16

    Default

    Why did you come to this club?

    I also have Asperger's Syndrome, and I was diagnosed with it when I was 12. I like to meet people here, since I'm a newbie in the SPPf forums, but I'm too shy to talk to others via PM or in other threads. When I found this club, I HAVE to join it. It's nice to meet other people who have the same thing as me: that way, I can relate to them and make new friends.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    24

    Default

    Hi all! I also have aspergers. I was diagnosed when I was 10. Around that time my best friend in my primary school showed me Pokemon and I thought Pikachu was so cute! We actually had Pokemon dress up outfits so we used to dress up in them and have pretend Pokemon battles. I started watching the TV shows and getting the cards and shortly after got the game for my birthday along with a DSi. I have gotten every single Pokemon game since then. Some of the doctors think that my nice has it. I showed my nice and nephew Pokemon and now they have Black and Black 2. I don't get along with certain people at my school because that they don't like Pokemon and they say that I annoy them because that I keep on talking about it all the time! I don't mean to annoy them though. My 2 best friends sit next to me at school and they both like Pokemon. I do get along with people who don't play it but it annoys me when people say they hate it and they tease me because of it. I am not sad that I have it though. Did you know that Satoshi Tajiri (the creator of Pokemon) has aspergers? He liked bug collecting and games so he came up with the idea of it. If there was no aspergers then there probably would not be any Pokemon at all!


    RIP Pidgeot. <3 I will always remember you. <3

    My eggs! Click on them for a close up view!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •