Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What do you take in to account when picking pokemon for a party?

Default What do you take in to account when picking pokemon for a party?

This applies to just about anything: looks, moves, types, EVs, abilities, etc...
    Tell me ANYTHING that helps you pick a pokemon for your party.

If you want to know why I'm asking, here's a quick blurp:
    I'm making a program that will aide in the party planning process, as well as 'analyzing' a party if you've already picked one out.
    For more information, check out the project blog: pokepp.wikidot.com
    If you've got a suggestion you can also post it as a 'wish' here: pokepp-feedback.wikidot.com

Thanks everyone! The more I know, the better I can make this program (which is almost ready for its beta release~)

I look for how good my teams defence and attack stats are, their gender and also whether I like them enough to put them on my team.

Hibiki wants hugs
        Spoiler:- My claims:

I usually just use my faves.

I'm not on much anymore...

What the pokemon was based on, and how well they presented it. Concept design wise.

Example: Yvexel?...wyvern????? Must have!
    Last edited by orochi; 2nd September 2013 at 5:26 AM.

I normally just make my teams with my favourite pokemon, incidentally my favourites fare up fairly well competitive-wise. My teams are also highly-offensive.

2 things: how much i like the pokemon, and type ballance.

I generally just take Pokemon that I really like, or want to train up.

More or less I use what I have, If it has the right nature I put it in the project box to be later Ev trained.

hmmm... so not too many competitive aspects then?
    any considerations taken for HMs? do you try to have a party with all/most of the HMs? or do you swap pokemon out if you need to?

Usually, I make a team thats weak/strong against one another, so I can send out a Pokemon thats strong against other members of myparty ( Hey, I'm new to the forum, and I need some help. I've recently started writing a Fanfiction, called 'The Trials of Caleb Loch', in which the Protaganist becomes the Verudian City Gym Leader. Now, I'm having a little trouble deciding his team. I've already got Altaria and Porygon-Z down, but I still have four empty slots. Does anyone have any suggestions? PM me if you do.)

I usually only try to make sure I have a Flier or Surfer in my party. Apart from that, Pokemon who can learn a lot of TMs, and ones who I really like and feel are rather underused.
    I have discovered what a signature is.

This is Bidoof. Many people loathe it with their lives. If you are of the few people who love this little beaver, put this in your sig. Started by Warrior Scolipede

I've claimed Castform. It will never rain on my parade.

I use all my favourite Pokemon, that's it. I play Pokemon for fun, I am not a competitive battler.

Type balance and whatever I deem cool.
    3DS FC: 4038-7225-8781

In-game, design is the dominant factor. If I like it, I'll use it.
    If a Pokemon has a 3 stage evolutionary line that does not require items, that helps too. Though, recently I've been drawn to a number of non-evolving Pokemon because of how great they looked.
    Pokemon that need to be traded in order to evolve are almost never put into my teams, and when they are they're only for competitive teams. So far, there's only been 1 exception to that rule, and it was because I was easily able to trade with myself to obtain it.

For more "serious" teams, the factors that determine whether or not I'll use a Pokemon, in order from greatest to least importance, are:

Movepool - Yes, this is pretty much the first thing I look at. If a Pokemon doesn't look like it has a diverse enough movepool to suit me, I'll often skip over it even if it has awesome attributes in other areas. Versatility is the biggest factor for me in selecting a Pokemon for a team. If I don't think it can function well in many situations, I won't use it.

Base Stats - not necessarily just having high base stats, but having a proper distribution of them depending on what role the Pokemon will fill. For example, using Lickitung instead of Lickilicky because of how much better it can perform under Trick Room.

Design - Design is still a huge factor for me even in making "serious" teams. If I don't like the Pokemon, I won't get much pleasure from using it even if it's really good. A Pokemon I find to be hideous has to be absolutely stunning in some way, or perhaps be indispensable in supporting another member of my team in order for me to pick it.

Breedability - Breeding is really the only way I can tweak Pokemon to my liking, since I don't RNG. Therefore, I will usually skip over a Pokemon if I'm unable to breed the perfect one I want. This means that pretty much all legendaries simply don't make my teams. The only legendaries that have an honest chance are those that can be easily obtained, such as event Pokemon. And even then, I don't believe I've ever used a legendary on any of my competitive teams.

I have claimed Goodra. Happy slime dragons ftw!

I always use fighting type pokemon exclusively for my team.

I also do not repeat secondary types (for instance, I wouldn't have both Gallade and Medicham in my team, nor would I have any combination of Blaziken, Emboar, or Infernape in my team).

I always use fully evolved pokemon in my teams.

In individual pokemon, no pokemon can have two moves of the same type in their moveset.

One move (two if it is a dual-type) must be a STAB move.

Absolutely no HM moves. I get a slave to do that.

I always have 3 males and 3 females in my team.

I never duplicate hold items.

I tend to favor pokemon with a lot of variety in their movepool.

I don't like to have too many pokemon from each generation in my team (though I have no second gen pokemon in my team. The Second Gen didn't add very many (three, to be exact) fighting pokemon. Just Tyrogue (unusable as it is NFE), Hitmontop (slot taken by Hitmonchan), and Heracross).

Finally, my team is made up of "Alpha Team" and "Beta Team", made up of three pokemon each. "Alpha Team" are my go-to pokemon (Hitmonchan, Medicham, and Scrafty), and "Beta Team" are my "secondary fighters", used only if the situation calls for them (or if I don't care enough to not curb-stomp everything. Currently Breloom, Lucario, and Infernape are "Beta Team", but someone is getting ready to leave).
    Last edited by NimhShambler; 2nd September 2013 at 4:02 AM.
    I will be on here very, very rarely. The account is not dead, per se, but I will not be on often. This has become a den of hatred, hostility, and anger. It is not the SPPF it was when I joined, and I really dislike coming here. To those of you who were nice to me and were my friend, thank you. Goodbye.
    3DS FC: 1950 7837 2016
    Name: Nicole
    Electric Friend Safari. Pokemon: Dedenne, Pikachu, Manectric
    Before you try to act superior to someone else on here, remember that no matter how much of an "internet cool-guy" you think you are, this is a Pokemon forum.

I generally look at pokemon with designs that I like. For starter, I pick a, well, starter, to go with (and always use that one throughout my playthrough). After that I usually consider what surfer and flyer I want to use. Then I check what other pokemon I'm considering to use and remove any with types that are repetitive (that is, if I'm using Emboar, no other pokemon on the team will have either fire or fighting typing).

Other things I consider is that I can't use the same pokemon across different playthroughs, so I can mix things up (although I'll repeat after a generation has passed, and I make an exception for starters, if I've already used all 3 from a gen). I also don't use legends. On occasion, I'll decide not to use a pokemon because I don't like the movepool (although I did use Serperior in White 1) or stats (ex. I didn't use Cryogonal because its low defense).
    Quote Originally Posted by bajuwa View Post
    hmmm... so not too many competitive aspects then?
    any considerations taken for HMs?
    For me, no consideration of competitive aspects at all.

As for HMs, I almost always have 2 pokemon on the team that can learn fly and surf (as mentioned). I may teach other HMs, depending on the situation, but I don't consider it when making a team.
    Last edited by PsychicPsycho; 2nd September 2013 at 4:23 AM.
    I'm looking for a Serperior named Serpedera. It'll be at lvl 98 or above. If you happen to have such a pokemon please PM me.

Pretendeavors (Goals I have that don't really mean anything) Updated 10-04-13

Voltorb Flip, Level 8 Victories: 16
    White Geonet: All countries completed!!! (130), 505 Trade Locations (of 513)
    The Last Ten: Locations
    Arunachel Pradesh, India * Dadra & Nager Hall, India * Formosa, Argentina ()
    Henan, China * Himachal Pradesh, India * Lakshadweep, India
    Lubusz, Poland * Madhya Pradesh, India * Shaanxi, China () * Sikkim, India

Pokeathlon Pokedex: 493/493- COMPLETED!!! (01-05-13)

I try to use Pokemon I haven't used before, or haven't used in a long time, with the exception of my starter.
    FC: 1779-0800-2195
    My friend safari: Noibat, Gabite, Druddigon
    Dallas Cowboys | Memphis Grizzlies

For both the games and online play, I pick Pokémon with good Base Stats and a team with balanced type distribution and moves.

In the games though, availability is more of a priority than anything else.

Well, my thought process for serious/competitive teams is way to long and to variable to try and write out.

For ingame, I usually start with favorites, without making any major weaknesses, and while having 3 physical and 3 special attackers, with a roughly even mix of genders. Otherwise, I am not to picky.
    Take a moment to consider just how nothing nothing really is....If you understand this, then you just solved the universe.

The truth that each person...each soul...is a book. And when we lay our feelings out in the open...and we give them no name...and we give them no author....and we give them no description.....who will actually read them..........?"

Credit to Eevee for the amazing banner.
    Current fanfiction project: Pokemon: Absolution

Aesthetics are the main factor for me when deciding on party pokemon. I also need to have a flier and a surfer on my team. I try to have only one pokemon per type as well, though it doesn't always happen.

Availability has also been a big factor for me recently, since I can't trade pokemon to myself from other games because I've only got one DS.
    White Friend Code: 2709 1720 9523

My General DeviantArt: http://runningspud.deviantart.com/
    My Pokemon DeviantArt: http://spuds-pokemon.deviantart.com/

Type and move pool, sometimes stats, If it's a new release, I try lots of different pokes. After that, I just use my faves.
    My Favorite Pokemon
    Zangoose --- Moonlight_Tails --- November 22nd, 2013

I look at 3 main factors.
    1:Team Comp
    Made a mistake once. 4/6 of my team could get owned by a fighting type. I dont let that happen. I try to aim for a balance of stats aswell

2:Interest
    Sometimes i pick a pokemon purely because they look interesting. If i catch it, and it seems to fit in i will try it out.
    Gen 2 it was Ampharos (It was cute, then it got cooler)
    Gen 3 it was Aron (It was Steel, gave it quick claw. Suddenly it was funny)
    Gen 4 .... Bronzor, he was kinda something i saw and was like 'Huh...a coin i wanna flip'
    Gen 5 was Litwick. I didnt have someone to give my Ghastly, and he seemed interesting.

3: Enjoyment
    Sometimes I will pick something for the pure reason of trying something new. My biggest surprise was Nincada. I did not know about Shedinja, but i got one. He was such an interesting choice. Either he was op, or smacked instantly. he had no middleground.

Typing, level, stats, and even gender. Yes, I try to balance my team's genders.
    I also go with my faves, too.
    3DS FC:
    4940 - 6535 - 5488

Friend Safari: Fighting:
    Pancham, Machoke, Tyrogue.
    PM me if you add me.

Mostly just Pokemon I've never used before. I don't balance genders or anything.

Credit to cloneydew2000 for the sprites.

Depends if you are talking about Gameplay or Competitive.

My competitive teams tend to run a range of factors. Is it a rain team, sun team, sand team, sweeper set, stall set, etc.

If you are talking about just the game I usually go something along the lines of this:
    1. Starter.

2. Early catch. (This is a pokemon easily obtainable early in the game that scales well into the late game. Usually either a strong competitive pick or a pokemon that can evolve twice)

3. Counter to your Rival. Essentially a pokemon you build specifically to counter your rival's starter. If you started grass then you get a water/ground, started water then you get a fire/bird, started fire then you get a grass/electric etc. Double points if the pokemon you choose to counter counters BOTH subtypes of your rival's pokemon and has strong STABs.

4. The gym counter. In every generation there is always a gym that gives each person trouble unless they prepare for it. Some generations its one gym leader that pwns everyone (*cough* whitney I'm looking at you) other generations people have difficulty with different ones (Claire for example gives some people a lot of trouble). The goal of this pokemon is that it helps counter this troublesome gym while still providing balance in team composition.

5. The favorite. This particular pokemon is usually incredibly random and unique to each trainer but its usually a personal favorite of theirs. Whether it reminds of them of their old partners in other games, they like the design, or they find some excuse to keep it in their party this pokemon is usually in there regardless of team composition. [Oftentimes people's favorite Eevolutions go here.]

6. The HM slave. Yes we all need one in the game. Some generations we needed two (thank god Gen 5 decided against needing 10 different freaking HMs to play the game I honestly hope gamefreak does something about this). Its usually a pokemon we hate. Or if you are like me the same old lvl 100 dragonite that has terrible IVs, terrible EVs, wrong nature but don't want to throw away so I transfer him around using him as an HM slave for every game but never use him for battling.

Shoutout to tazsaints from Deviantart for the photo.
    I always love dragon based teams.
    I know Charizard isn't a dragon type but he is in the Dragon Egg-group so close enough.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast