Page 52 of 125 FirstFirst ... 24248495051525354555662102 ... LastLast
Results 1,276 to 1,300 of 3113

Thread: Pokémon Bank & Poké Transporter Thread [READ FIRST POST]

  1. #1276
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1,961

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by abdulmuhsee View Post
    Family and/or friends will undoubtedly have another DS to do transfers with, so yes, out-of-box free transfers.
    What about people that don't have that luxury...? You can't conveniently ignore them too.

    Quote Originally Posted by abdulmuhsee View Post
    That's what I think about the issue, and at most, the storage should be a premium service separate from a simple transfer. Even if going through their online servers was necessary to prevent hacks/clones/etc., it would be a simple matter to upload, then retrieve within an allotted time without keeping them (i.e. - virtually non-existent data, space-wise) in storage. People act as if they're offering several gigs of data like a normal cloud service.
    No matter what you think they should've done, you're still missing the point. GF couldn't facilitate "forwards-compatible" communication with a DS and 3DS cart, so they had to resort to Pokemon Bank as a middleman in order to facilitate transferring. Also, seeing how GF is giving us 3000 Pokemon per storage, that's a pretty significant amount of data.

    Quote Originally Posted by abdulmuhsee View Post
    Also, data is stored permanently at length for PDW at no cost; no amount of text in the form of pokemon stats can possibly take up significant space. There are countless free cloud services that let you upload comparatively vast amounts of data, when Pokemon Bank amounts to charging people to store a couple megabytes at most. It's not to compensate the required costs of storage, as seems to be believed, but to make money. I'm already supporting them by purchasing their new game and console every time, and this is another way to make sure the money keeps flowing from my pocket.
    Any evidence to back up your claims? You basically just theorized everything and came to the conclusion that it's for profit, without showing citations/evidence. How am I to take that seriously?

    Quote Originally Posted by abdulmuhsee View Post
    You're also putting words in my mouth; I never said GF was a 'horrible video game company,' but I recognize, unlike the apparently unwavering GF fans here, that it's an attempt to make money, not a gracious gesture to fans. I would expect a company to find ways to increase profits, but it's surprising that one cannot have a differing opinion here without the response constantly boiling down to, "If you don't like it, don't play it." This is a discussion thread, after all, and it feels like being nickel-and-dimed to me, especially when the fee is continuous.
    No one said it wasn't an attempt to make money. But your problem is that you appear entitled. There is a price for a reason: because servers are expensive to implement and maintain over a long period of time. 5 bucks a year seems hardly nickel-and-dimed when proprietary items were more expensive than that.

  2. #1277

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BurningWhiteKyurem View Post
    No matter what you think they should've done, you're still missing the point. GF couldn't facilitate "forwards-compatible" communication with a DS and 3DS cart, so they had to resort to Pokemon Bank as a middleman in order to facilitate transferring. Also, seeing how GF is giving us 3000 Pokemon per storage, that's a pretty significant amount of data.
    Maybe they could've, maybe not. Even if you did or wanted to somehow fill all 3000 slots, it takes roughly 500 pages of text to make a megabyte, and the images they attach to your pokemon are universal and not part of your storage. It is not a significant amount of data and one is essentially paying to store a glorified text document with his pokemons' names and stats. If you're happy with it, then that's fine, but that's the way I see it.

    Any evidence to back up your claims? You basically just theorized everything and came to the conclusion that it's for profit, without showing citations/evidence. How am I to take that seriously?
    So GF doesn't do things for profit? Everything a healthy company does is motivated in one way or another by profit. They are charging money for it, you are paying them money, and they are making profit; the evidence is pretty clear here and I'm not sure who would doubt this motive. Not that there's anything wrong with a company making money, but it is what it is.

    No one said it wasn't an attempt to make money. But your problem is that you appear entitled. There is a price for a reason: because servers are expensive to implement and maintain over a long period of time. 5 bucks a year seems hardly nickel-and-dimed when proprietary items were more expensive than that.
    Yes, entitled is one way to put it. I feel that, as a long-time supporter of the pokemon games/consoles since R/B, I should be entitled to perform the simple function of transferring the pokemon from the games I bought without paying money annually for the ability to do so. Is it really so hard to understand why someone would feel that way?

    If you're fine with it, then more power to you, but I don't feel the price is justified for the insignificant amount of data that a user could possibly store, which is surpassed more than a hundredfold by free cloud and email services, which can store and retrieve much more than pokemon stats.

    I'm not trying to say anyone is wrong to pay for the service, as I'll most likely have to end up doing so myself, but I really don't see how an annual fee is justified when a single free video on Hulu will transfer so much more data than I could ever even dream of putting on Pokemon Bank.

  3. #1278
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    NW England
    Posts
    6,314

    Default

    Almost every cloud storage service that I'm aware of either forces you to Purchase something, or has a two tier system(Paid/Free).

    Xbox Live Gold and PlayStation Plus offer Cloud saves with their Ł40 per year service. Steam while offers it for free with games only purchased on Steam, Valve has also other ways to earn money.

    Dropbox, Google Drive and Ubuntu One all offer "free" services, but also offers paid for more size.

    Alot of online Services that are paid for actually get don't withdrawn in a hurry, unless other things such as courts are involved.

    There are also things to point out, Nintendo requires you to set a Price point for any download title. I know that at least two "games" are set at bare minimum as the game Devs couldn't set it for free. Oh, The companies are Konami and Capcom.
    Writing LJ Twitter Raptr


    MikeSharpeWriter.com -Project Elfish Jarate

    3DS - 3007 - 8991 - 4413 (VM/PM me to add you)

  4. #1279
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1,961

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by abdulmuhsee View Post
    Maybe they could've, maybe not. Even if you did or wanted to somehow fill all 3000 slots, it takes roughly 500 pages of text to make a megabyte, and the images they attach to your pokemon are universal and not part of your storage. It is not a significant amount of data and one is essentially paying to store a glorified text document with his pokemons' names and stats. If you're happy with it, then that's fine, but that's the way I see it.
    Again I ask, how do you know how much data each Pokemon file has, to make the judgment that it's less than expected?

    Quote Originally Posted by abdulmuhsee View Post
    So GF doesn't do things for profit? Everything a healthy company does is motivated in one way or another by profit. They are charging money for it, you are paying them money, and they are making profit; the evidence is pretty clear here and I'm not sure who would doubt this motive. Not that there's anything wrong with a company making money, but it is what it is.
    I didn't say that GF doesn't intend to make profit, but I question your logic in that particular statement where you went from x) servers meant to store Pokemon don't cost money to y) It's not for server costs, it's to maximize profit margins.

    Quote Originally Posted by abdulmuhsee View Post
    Yes, entitled is one way to put it. I feel that, as a long-time supporter of the pokemon games/consoles since R/B, I should be entitled to perform the simple function of transferring the pokemon from the games I bought without paying money annually for the ability to do so. Is it really so hard to understand why someone would feel that way?

    If you're fine with it, then more power to you, but I don't feel the price is justified for the insignificant amount of data that a user could possibly store, which is surpassed more than a hundredfold by free cloud and email services, which can store and retrieve much more than pokemon stats.

    I'm not trying to say anyone is wrong to pay for the service, as I'll most likely have to end up doing so myself, but I really don't see how an annual fee is justified when a single free video on Hulu will transfer so much more data than I could ever even dream of putting on Pokemon Bank.
    It's not hard to understand someone feeling that way, but it's also illogical for someone to complain about the subscription fee and overlook the fact that if you wanted to transfer in the past gens, you likely had to pay for proprietary items, which were either equivalent to or greater than 5 bucks. The price is no different, and your statement would be no different from someone complaining about wasting money on a link cable just to move Pokemon files from one cart to another, and not having any more use after that.

    The problem you have is expecting that you're going to get immense value out of it. The only real use for this app is storage, which in of itself can be useful. As for bringing up Hulu, that's not a fair comparison seeing how the Pokemon bank is not a video service or provides services equivalent to one. Logically, 5 bucks isn't a big deal compared to the costs I had to face just to transfer Pokemon.

  5. #1280
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    9,484

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by abdulmuhsee View Post
    Family and/or friends will undoubtedly have another DS to do transfers with, so yes, out-of-box free transfers.
    I think I've found your pitch, "me-me-me-me".

    "Undoubtedly" is nice for you, but there's plenty of people who don't share gaming habits with friends and family.

    hat's what I think about the issue, and at most, the storage should be a premium service separate from a simple transfer. Even if going through their online servers was necessary to prevent hacks/clones/etc., it would be a simple matter to upload, then retrieve within an allotted time without keeping them (i.e. - virtually non-existent data, space-wise) in storage. People act as if they're offering several gigs of data like a normal cloud service.
    The cost of storage isn't the issue. The fact is it has to be stored, and backed up and secured and be available and all that other jazz. The fact that you use it for 5 sounds like a personal problem to me. The cost is basically the same because the service has to be maintained. hence why they're pricing per year rather than per hour or whatever garbage you're suggesting.

    Also, data is stored permanently at length for PDW at no cost; no amount of text in the form of pokemon stats can possibly take up significant space. There are countless free cloud services that let you upload comparatively vast amounts of data, when Pokemon Bank amounts to charging people to store a couple megabytes at most. It's not to compensate the required costs of storage, as seems to be believed, but to make money. I'm already supporting them by purchasing their new game and console every time, and this is another way to make sure the money keeps flowing from my pocket.
    I have never disputed that a gaming company will *gasp* MAKE MONEY! But developing a whole separate system to transfer and store Pokemon, and presumably keep updating this for the current and future generations, is going to cost money and won't be something like Dream World where they can work with it like once a week and largely leave it as an after thought. Sure, they'll make a profit but the system is going to cost money and those costs are paid by fans.

    And if those costs are horrible to you, then use the free trial.

    You're also putting words in my mouth; I never said GF was a 'horrible video game company,' but I recognize, unlike the apparently unwavering GF fans here, that it's an attempt to make money, not a gracious gesture to fans. I would expect a company to find ways to increase profits, but it's surprising that one cannot have a differing opinion here without the response constantly boiling down to, "If you don't like it, don't play it." This is a discussion thread, after all, and it feels like being nickel-and-dimed to me, especially when the fee is continuous.
    No, you clearly made a comparison that a VIDEO GAME APP is similar to someone jacking up rent on an apartment. That is like, completely overblown man.
    I'm part of the staff at Project Pokemon! Smod in forums, AOP in IRC, Administrator on Shoddy. Come visit us. Our Project is Pokemon!

  6. #1281
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    840

    Default

    will we be able to transfer clones to pokemon x and y or are those considered hacked pokemon?
    White 2 Friend code : 1508-0208-9881
    Pokémon X Friend Code: 0275-7830-7079

  7. #1282
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    9,484

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shadowF View Post
    will we be able to transfer clones to pokemon x and y or are those considered hacked pokemon?
    Nobody knows what the legality check will have. Some have speculated that Game Freak could, in theory, identify clones based on whatever is uploaded. I think that's bollocks considering they've had two generations of legality checkers to try that out and haven't, but I digress.

    But ultimately, a Pokemon is digital data. Your Pokemon isn't actually judged by it being hacked or not hacked since, as game researchers can tell you, that can't be told. It is judged by if it falls within the legal confines of the game. If your Pokemon falls within the legal confines of the game made, it'll pass. If it doesn't, it probably won't.
    I'm part of the staff at Project Pokemon! Smod in forums, AOP in IRC, Administrator on Shoddy. Come visit us. Our Project is Pokemon!

  8. #1283
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    between 2 ocean & 2 continents
    Posts
    9,663

    Default

    Just a small note for this one specific sentence:

    Quote Originally Posted by abdulmuhsee View Post
    The fact of the matter is, if I want to transfer pokemon from previous gens, my only option is to pay for this service that has always been free
    There's 1 month free trial which is more than enough time to transfer over 600 Pokemon from 5th Gen to X/Y, and oh, have I mentioned it's free?

    My shinies. Just click the links~

    ~Shiny Banner 1~
    ~Shiny Banner 2~
    ~Shiny Banner 3~

    My shinies are not for trade or cloning.
    Shinies are not listed in order, for example the last shiny on the banner is not always the latest shiny I've obtained.
    Banner 1 made by Light Venusaur, thanks ^_^

  9. #1284
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    17,198

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by randomspot555 View Post
    Nobody knows what the legality check will have. Some have speculated that Game Freak could, in theory, identify clones based on whatever is uploaded. I think that's bollocks considering they've had two generations of legality checkers to try that out and haven't, but I digress.
    Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure all the legality checks we've had so far can't connect to a central server with the data stored, so there was no way to see if something already existed.


    | Backloggery | MyAnimeList | Raptr | Last.fm | VGMdb | Banner adapted by me from here. |

  10. #1285
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    9,484

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hydrohs View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure all the legality checks we've had so far can't connect to a central server with the data stored, so there was no way to see if something already existed.
    GTS, PDW, and Battle Videos have to be stored somewhere, right?
    I'm part of the staff at Project Pokemon! Smod in forums, AOP in IRC, Administrator on Shoddy. Come visit us. Our Project is Pokemon!

  11. #1286
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    17,198

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by randomspot555 View Post
    GTS, PDW, and Battle Videos have to be stored somewhere, right?
    Yes, but I don't think any of those things can be actively updated. I'm not sure on how it all works, but I really think if GameFreak was capable of improving their checks, they would.


    | Backloggery | MyAnimeList | Raptr | Last.fm | VGMdb | Banner adapted by me from here. |

  12. #1287
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    9,484

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hydrohs View Post
    Yes, but I don't think any of those things can be actively updated. I'm not sure on how it all works, but I really think if GameFreak was capable of improving their checks, they would.
    They've been able to update the legality checks before, ever since Gen 4, most notable in cases of event exclusive Pokemon. PBR Random Battles wouldn't allow Darkrai and Shaymin in Random Battles until a week or two after their first events were released.

    I am in no way doubting the feasibility that Game Freak could impose a legality check that could crack down on clones being deposited in Bank accounts. I am just doubting they'd suddenly start imposing this now since they've shown little to no desire to do so in previous updates to legality checks, which have collected tons of data on Pokemon as well and have demonstrated the ability to continually update the legality check.
    I'm part of the staff at Project Pokemon! Smod in forums, AOP in IRC, Administrator on Shoddy. Come visit us. Our Project is Pokemon!

  13. #1288

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shine View Post
    There's 1 month free trial which is more than enough time to transfer over 600 Pokemon from 5th Gen to X/Y, and oh, have I mentioned it's free?
    Yes, yes, the free trial. But perhaps one doesn't have all 600 pokemon on him at the moment and doesn't particularly feel like getting them all at this point in time.

    I am wondering about the legality checks though. I would imagine that people could still just as easily hack pokemon with 31 IVs across the board so long as all the data in the pokemon info was legit.

  14. #1289

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by abdulmuhsee View Post
    YBut perhaps one doesn't have all 600 pokemon on him at the moment
    Perhaps that would be a fantastic use of the three months or so one has before the free trial begins, if it is in fact that important to one's self?

    Quote Originally Posted by abdulmuhsee View Post
    and doesn't particularly feel like getting them all at this point in time.
    Well that's entirely a personal decision, isn't it? If you're told that if you're THAT opposed to paying the $5 and intend to do all of your work during the free trial, then you have until December to assemble your desired emigrants, and then from point in December until [whenever] to get it done for free, but you choose to say "nah I don't feel like it right now", then isn't that you choosing not to use the ample time you're being provided more so than anything else?



    -----
    Never underestimate the power of stupidity, of the one and of the many.
    Words to|live by

  15. #1290
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    840

    Default

    I really hope that they allow clones not be considered hacks. If they are hacks then a lot of people in serebii wont be able to transfer their pokemon because a lot of the pokemon here are clones or rnged.
    White 2 Friend code : 1508-0208-9881
    Pokémon X Friend Code: 0275-7830-7079

  16. #1291
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Thailand
    Posts
    792

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shadowF View Post
    I really hope that they allow clones not be considered hacks. If they are hacks then a lot of people in serebii wont be able to transfer their pokemon because a lot of the pokemon here are clones or rnged.
    I don't think they will be. It's not like they can find that they are cloned and stop you anyway (unless they were obvious hacks to begin with).
    Latest Shiny!


    Chain fish in Cyllage City in Pokemon X!

    3DS FC: 4682 - 8902 - 8849
    PM me if you decide to add me. Psychic Friend Safari with Xatu, Munna and Espurr.

  17. #1292
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,387

    Default

    Sorry for the nooby question I'm going to ask (I'm not very familiar with this part of the forums) but when you say you got one month free to transfer pokemon from BW/BW2 will the free month start once the game gets released worldwide or whenever you get the game? (like for example you don't get the game until let's say November because you couldn't afford it when it was first released)
    Last edited by Midnightmoon6o2; 24th September 2013 at 3:42 AM.

  18. #1293
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    92

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Midnightmoon6o2 View Post
    Sorry for the nooby question I'm going to ask (I'm not very familiar with this part of the forums) but when you say you got one month free to transfer pokemon from BW/BW2 will the free month start once the game gets released worldwide or whenever you get the game? (like for example you don't get the game until let's say November because you couldn't afford it when it was first released)
    Bank isn't released until December for Japan. I dunno about anywhere else at this time. You have plenty of time to get the game.
    3DS- ZXChris93
    FC - 4055-3207-2277

    Current Game(s) playing: Fire Emblem Awakening

    Current Pokemon Game(s):

    Pokemon Black 2
    Chris
    FC - 5201-1751-1704

    I am always up for a battle, anytime

  19. #1294
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Thailand
    Posts
    792

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Midnightmoon6o2 View Post
    Sorry for the nooby question I'm going to ask (I'm not very familiar with this part of the forums) but when you say you got one month free to transfer pokemon from BW/BW2 will the free month start once the game gets released worldwide or whenever you get the game? (like for example you don't get the game until let's say November because you couldn't afford it when it was first released)
    I think what it is, is that when you download the software, you get 1 month to use it from when you first download it. Having it only apply to the first month the game is out would not be very fair.

    ... not that it's an expensive service anyway. If it was 5$ a month and not 5$ a year, I would not get it and just transfer while I could.
    Latest Shiny!


    Chain fish in Cyllage City in Pokemon X!

    3DS FC: 4682 - 8902 - 8849
    PM me if you decide to add me. Psychic Friend Safari with Xatu, Munna and Espurr.

  20. #1295
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    840

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ZXChris93 View Post
    Bank isn't released until December for Japan. I dunno about anywhere else at this time. You have plenty of time to get the game.
    I was hoping for it to start October 12, I really wanted to start my journey with my shiny charmander from white 2.
    White 2 Friend code : 1508-0208-9881
    Pokémon X Friend Code: 0275-7830-7079

  21. #1296
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Thailand
    Posts
    792

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shadowF View Post
    I was hoping for it to start October 12, I really wanted to start my journey with my shiny charmander from white 2.
    I doubt that they will make the change so that you can transfer before you beat the game. In every other game you had to enter the hall of fame first before you could transfer.
    Latest Shiny!


    Chain fish in Cyllage City in Pokemon X!

    3DS FC: 4682 - 8902 - 8849
    PM me if you decide to add me. Psychic Friend Safari with Xatu, Munna and Espurr.

  22. #1297
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    840

    Default

    That's true. Don't know if this has been said yet, but when do you guys think pokebank will be available in the U.S?
    White 2 Friend code : 1508-0208-9881
    Pokémon X Friend Code: 0275-7830-7079

  23. #1298
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Thailand
    Posts
    792

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shadowF View Post
    That's true. Don't know if this has been said yet, but when do you guys think pokebank will be available in the U.S?
    Alongside the release of the games for sure. People finish the the games within 24 hours and will want to use the service once they do.
    Latest Shiny!


    Chain fish in Cyllage City in Pokemon X!

    3DS FC: 4682 - 8902 - 8849
    PM me if you decide to add me. Psychic Friend Safari with Xatu, Munna and Espurr.

  24. #1299
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    840

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ~Sam~ View Post
    Alongside the release of the games for sure. People finish the the games within 24 hours and will want to use the service once they do.
    But it is going to be released in Japan on December though, I don't think America will get it before Japan.
    White 2 Friend code : 1508-0208-9881
    Pokémon X Friend Code: 0275-7830-7079

  25. #1300
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    between 2 ocean & 2 continents
    Posts
    9,663

    Default

    If even Japan gets PokeBank in December, I doubt U.S. will get it on October.

    My shinies. Just click the links~

    ~Shiny Banner 1~
    ~Shiny Banner 2~
    ~Shiny Banner 3~

    My shinies are not for trade or cloning.
    Shinies are not listed in order, for example the last shiny on the banner is not always the latest shiny I've obtained.
    Banner 1 made by Light Venusaur, thanks ^_^

Page 52 of 125 FirstFirst ... 24248495051525354555662102 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •